Howl

Howl

His feet pressed into the fresh blanket of snow as he heard it crunch slightly beneath him. He wrapped his winter coat tighter around his chest as he buried the bottom half of his face into his dark red scarf. The snow continued to fall all around him as he made his way to his small apartment that was located just around the corner.

 

Once he made it back into his tiny apartment he closed the door and stripped himself of the wet clothing that clung to him like a second skin. He made his way towards his bathroom and the scalding hot water in his shower as he quickly jumped inside.

The shower took away the cold as he threw on his yellow colored robe and walked towards his kitchen to make a cup of hot chocolate. He danced around the room as he stirred the brown liquid in his cup before he sat down on his couch to enjoy his hot beverage and television.

As he brought the cup to his lips he heard the sound of howling in the near distance. It was a strange sound to hear considering he lived in the city and he suddenly wondered if anyone else could hear the noise as well.

The howling continued and it sounded like the owner of it was in pain and it left the male to feel pity for the poor creature that howled out in the dead of the night.

Without a second thought the male placed his cup on his kitchen counter and threw on some clothes along with his winter boots and ventured back out into the wintery night.

 

Icicles hung from the street lights as they gave off a reddish glow on the snow beneath them. The male took large strides through the thick blanket of snow as he listened for the sound of the howl. The all too familiar howl could be heard as he took off towards the direction of it as carefully as possible.

The sound of the howl brought him to the local children’s playground and he found himself clutching his coat tightly as his heart began to loudly in his chest. The further in he got the more he could make out something lying in the snow underneath the icicle covered monkey bars.

The male squinted his eyes a little as he saw the thing in question move slightly and let out the familiar howl. Without thinking the male rushed over to the creature and knelt down beside it. The creature appeared to be a wolf with beautiful silver fur and black eyes. The wolf barred its teeth at the male as it whimpered a little. The male noticed the wolf had been injured near its ribs and small patches of red snow wrapped around it like a blanket.

“Shhh. You’re hurt. Please let me help you. I promise I won’t hurt you. Will you let me help you?” The male whispered to the wolf.

The wolf stared into the males’ eyes before it whimpered slightly and the male took it as a sign of approval. Being as slow and careful as possible the male gently scooped up the wolf in his arms and took it back to his apartment.

 

 

As soon as the male made it to his apartment he placed the wolf on his couch and began searching for his first aid kit. Once he found the kit he placed it on his coffee table and pulled out all the necessary items and turned to look back at the wolf.

“This will hurt a bit but I promise it will help you.” The male said softly as he placed the wet gauze on the wolf’s wound earning a low growl.

“I’m sorry. I promise I’m only trying to help you.” The male whispered as he the wolf’s head with his other hand.

The fur felt smooth as it ran through his fingers before he bandaged up the wolf and nodded in approval.

A yawn from the male made the wolf look at him with curiosity as the creature tilted his head to the side with what little strength he could muster.

“I’m a little tired. Make yourself at home and try not to break anything. I’ll be back to check on you in the morning.” The male whispered as he yawned once more and made his way to his bedroom.

 

 

 

When the male woke up he quickly rushed into the living room and found it empty with no sign of the wolf anywhere. The only proof left to show that the wolf had been here was the still opened first aid kit that remained sitting on the coffee table.

“I hope he’ll be okay.” The male said quietly as a saddened sigh escaped his lips.

 

 

 

Four weeks had gone by and the male found himself staring out at the full moon when he heard the sound of a familiar howl. A loud thump of his heart had him excited as he stormed out of his house and into the street searching for the wolf.

The wolf perked its ears up as it heard the sound of something approaching. It crouched down in a defensive stance and was prepared to attack. A growl escaped through its barred teeth until it spotted a familiar person making their way towards him.

The wolf tilted its head to the side as it watched the human come closer and slowly reach out as if it wanted to touch him. A huff escaped the wolf mouth before it let the human gently scratch its head.

The feeling was a warm gesture and it felt good to have the humans hand on his head even if that hand was covered by a thick glove.

“I was hoping I’d see you again. You look much better now than when we first met. It looks like you managed to get the bandages off of you somehow.” The male said as he raised an eyebrow at the wolf.

The wolf just whined and plopped down on the ground in annoyance but it perked up when it heard a chuckle come from the human.

“What a strange creature you are. I don’t think I know of any other animals that show such human-like behavior.” The male chuckled softly.

The wolf scoffed and sat up while staring at the human.

“I’m Youngjae by the way. It’s nice to meet you.” Youngjae said as he smiled sweetly at the wolf.

The wolf just shook its head before it went back to staring at Youngjae.

“You don’t like my name?” Youngjae questioned as the wolf shook its head again and began to paw at his hand.

“What? I’m sorry but I don’t speak err…wolf.” Youngjae stated as he scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

The wolf let out a huff as it pawed at Youngjae’s hand again.

“Oh! Do you want a name too?” Youngjae asked in surprise.

The wolf just gave a slight nod before he stared at Youngjae.

“How about I call you Daehyun? Would that work?” Youngjae questioned as he rubbed his chin in thought.

The wolf merely nodded in response as it nuzzled Youngjae’s hand.

“I’ll take that as a yes. Are you hungry, Daehyun?” Youngjae asked as he watched Daehyun’s ears perk up.

“Well come on then. Let’s go back to my place. I’m sure we can find something for you there.” Youngjae chuckled as he stood up and walked back towards his apartment with Daehyun following closely behind.

 

 

 

When the two entered the apartment Daehyun quickly walked around the room and began to sniff everything in sight. After he deemed the apartment safe he walked over towards Youngjae and began to sniff the inside of the refrigerator.

“Not yet Daehyun. I’m trying to find something that you can eat.” Youngjae mumbled as he had his head in the fridge and gently pushed the wolf head away.

Daehyun huffed and went to jump on the couch he was familiar with as he yawned and curled up in a ball while closing his eyes.

 

 

 

When Daehyun opened his eyes he was greeted by the smell of something delicious. He poked his head up and looked around to find Youngjae smiling at him placing a plate of something in front of him.

“Well eat up Daehyun. I hope you like it.” Youngjae stated as he walked back into the kitchen but not before he gave the wolf a gentle pat on his head.

Daehyun sniffed the plate of food before he slowly it. The taste was incredible and he found himself devouring the meat like the animal he was. Once he finished he his mouth in satisfaction before he hopped off the couch and searched for Youngjae.

Youngjae was asleep in his bed when Daehyun followed his scent. Daehyun pushed the door open further with his nose as he jumped up on the bed and curled up beside Youngjae.

The young male smiled in his sleep as he felt the soft fur between his fingers.

 

 

 

Many months had gone by and before Youngjae knew it summer had approached him unexpectedly.

Daehyun hopped down off of the bed and stretched before he followed Youngjae into the living room. Youngjae sat down on the couch while Daehyun rested his head in the males lap. The familiar feeling of Youngjae’s hand on Daehyun’s head had him slowly drifting off to sleep before a howl in the near distance could be heard.

Daehyun instantly perked his head up and looked around only to find a confused Youngjae staring back at him.

“Friends of yours?” Youngjae questioned only to receive a huff from the wolf.

Daehyun hopped off of the couch and headed towards the door and began to paw frantically at it. Youngjae followed him and opened the door and he watched as his wolf took off running at full speed down the hall.

Youngjae quickly threw on some clothes and tried his best to keep up with Daehyun but the wolf was much faster than he was. He could see Daehyun in the near distance howl up at the sky before he was viciously attacked by a much larger brown wolf.

Daehyun let out a painful howl as he collapsed on the ground. Youngjae gasped in horror as he picked up an average sized tree branch and ran towards Daehyun. The male frantically swung the branch at the brown wolf and the brown wolf growled at Youngjae before it took off running.

Youngjae instantly dropped the branch on the ground and knelt down beside Daehyun. The wolf was bleeding and it didn’t look too good. Daehyun whimpered softly as he stared into Youngjae’s watery eyes.

“I’m sorry Daehyun. I’m so sorry.” Youngjae whispered as tears began to roll down his face.

Daehyun whimpered again as he gently nuzzled Youngjae’s hand.

Youngjae buried his face into Daehyun’s soft fur and cried.

“Please don’t die Daehyun. You can’t die. You’re my wolf and I love you Daehyun.” Youngjae sobbed.

Daehyun blinked slowly before he let out a final howl and then everything around him went pitch black.

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae cried and cried into Daehyun’s soft fur as he listened to the wolf final heartbeat. Daehyun had been his companion through the months and now he was gone just like that.

The pale moonlight from the full moon shone down on the two and Youngjae looked up at the moon gently wiping away the tears from his eyes.

It started off as a faint sparkle before Youngjae noticed that it was magical. Daehyun’s lifeless body was being lifted into the air as he began to morph into what looked like a human being.

Youngjae watched in fear and curiosity as his beloved wolf turned into a human right before his very eyes. A human body was soon lying in the same spot Daehyun had been and Youngjae bent down to take a closer look.

The human was a very beautiful male with sun kissed skin, shaggy silver hair, and the thickest pair of lips he had ever seen. The young male looked to be the same age as Youngjae.

A brush of Youngjae’s hand against the strangers’ cheek had him slowly fluttering his eyelids revealing a pair of black eyes that resembled Daehyun’s. Youngjae gasped in shock as he brought a hand to his mouth and began to slowly back away from the stranger.

The stranger slowly sat up and turned to look at Youngjae.

“Youngjae?” The stranger asked in a Busan accent.

“H-how do you know my name?” Youngjae asked as he slowly began to back away from the stranger.

“It’s me, Daehyun.” Daehyun stated as he slowly rose to his feet.

“No. The only Daehyun I know was a wolf and he’s gone now.” Youngjae said sadly.

“Seriously Youngjae? I just transformed in front of you and you’re just going to pretend that I’m not him.” Daehyun scoffed as he stood up on wobbly legs.

“I know but things like this don’t happen at all. Animals just don’t transform into people.” Youngjae stated as he placed his hands on his hips.

“They exist if someone who believes in witchcraft puts a spell on you.” Daehyun replied as he hopped up and down trying to get used to standing again.

“So if what you say is true then how did you get cursed and what broke it?” Youngjae asked as he rolled his eyes in disbelief.

“Some crazy lady hexed me because she was annoyed by how talkative I am and then she said that the curse can only be broken on a full moon by my true love.” Daehyun smirked as he stared at Youngjae.

“You have got to be kidding me. Is this your idea of some lame pick-up line?” Youngjae groaned.

“Nope. It’s completely true and you know you love me.” Daehyun sang.

“I don’t even know you so how can I possibly love you?!” Youngjae shouted.

“Because I’m your true love and you’re mine. We belong together!” Daehyun said happily as he made his way towards Youngjae.

“I still don’t believe you.” Youngjae mumbled.

“Fine. Just tell me how to prove myself and I will.” Daehyun pouted.

Youngjae pressed his finger to his lips in thought before he smiled a little and said, “okay. Tell me why you left that night after I patched you up.”

“I left because I didn’t want to burden you. Plus since you showed me such kindness the least I could do was protect you.” Daehyun mumbled as he looked down at the ground.

“Protect me? From what?” Youngjae asked curiously.

“From the woman who cursed me. I wasn’t sure if she would come after me or not so I ran off to protect you from her. After a month of running off I finally decided to let you find me and you did. It hurt so much being away from you.” Daehyun whispered.

Youngjae could feel his defensive walls crumble around him as he closed the distance between the two with his lips. The kiss was short and sweet but it was enough to get hearts racing as they pulled away with shaky breaths.

“This feels like Beauty and The Beast.” Youngjae mumbled.

“Yeah except I make a way better looking man and beast than that guy does.” Daehyun remarked.

“Oh God.” Youngjae replied as he rolled his eyes.

“Right, Youngjae? Right?” Daehyun asked with wide eyes and a serious voice as he grabbed hold of the younger’s arm.

“Come on Beast, I’ll make us some dinner at my place.” Youngjae stated as he pulled Daehyun behind him.

“Wait! I look good though right Youngjae?!” Daehyun screeched.

Youngjae turned around and placed a peck on the elder’s cheek earning a pout from him.

“You look beautiful to me.” Youngjae replied in a serious voice.

“I love you, Youngjae.” Daehyun sang out happily.

“I think I liked you better when you couldn’t talk.” Youngjae mumbled.

Daehyun opened his mouth but quickly shut it as he threaded his fingers through Youngjae’s and hummed happily on the way to the younger’s apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

A year had flown by quicker than the blink of an eye and Daehyun found himself standing in the younger’s apartment gazing out at the full moon. A gentle hand on his shoulder had him smiling in contentment as he lightly kissed the top of the hand.

“It’s beautiful tonight.” Youngjae whispered.

The sound of a howl in the night had both males searching out the window for the owner.

“You should go. Your pack misses you.” Youngjae said softly as he gently nudged Daehyun.

“No. I want to stay here with you. They understand the way the curse works. I just wish we all could be completely rid of it.” Daehyun sighed.

“You all will be Daehyun. We just need to find the woman that did this and get her to undo it. It’s not our fault she lied to all of you. You are my true love, you know?” Youngjae whispered as he pressed his forehead against Daehyun’s.

“And you are mine, Youngjae.” Daehyun whispered back and he closed his eyes and sighed.

“Go to them Daehyun. Your pack needs you now more than ever. That woman is cursing innocent people and they need your guidance. Lead them Daehyun. Show them the way.” Youngjae muttered as he slowly pulled away from the elder.

“Fine. I’ll go but I expect a cuddle session in the morning.” Daehyun smirked.

“I think I can live with that.” Youngjae chuckled as he quickly kissed the elder’s lips before he watched him run off into the darkness.

 

 

 

A sigh escaped Youngjae’s mouth until he heard a familiar howl in the near distance. A small smile crept up on his face.

“I love you too, Daehyun.” Youngjae whispered into the night as he looked up at the full moon.

The familiar howl began to grow much fainter until it could no longer be heard but Youngjae knew that when morning came Daehyun would be waiting for him just like he always did.


A/N: Just a random story here. I might make another part so everyone can see just how Daehyun was cursed. I hope all of you will like this story. Thank you for the support and love. Comments are very welcome here. Thank you! ^_^