heaven's tears

Daisy Darling

It’s been two long days since the girl’s last visit.

Minho counted them; although it was quite easy and didn’t sound that obsessive regarding that it only had been a couple of days. He had been thinking of her less, anyway, although she sometimes still lingered in his mind.

In that bright Wednesday afternoon, where the sun’s rays were the strongest and fruit-flavored icicles were the best things one could be offered (at least to Minho, anyway).

 

I waited for today, for your sweetness

 

While sitting on top of the stool behind the wooden counter, with hands propped on top of the table, Minho contemplated about the possible penalties he could charge on his fellow worker.

Taemin, that jerk of a coworker/employer’s grandson, bailed on Minho again, stating that he had already promised a date to his girlfriend to get out of his job, even saying that, as quoted, “He’s a fool for his darling Ssul.” Nonetheless, Minho faked a gag before he nicely shooed Taemin away.

Which one’s better? Was it a week of throwing trash away or a week of handling the putrid smell of manure?

It was a slow day at work again, anyway. There had been a quite number of orders for the store that day, and thankfully no big ones, as he couldn’t possibly finish 50 vases of fresh flowers in a day by himself!

The day tomorrow, though, was another story. Every Monday and Thursday, Mrs. Han from the Italian restaurant a few blocks away ordered 50 centerpieces consisting of flowers that, as quoted from her, “Reminded her of Europe.”

Thankfully, she wasn’t fussy about the flower choices. Plus, since it was summer, quite a lot of flowers were in bloom, making it easier for Minho to arrange the simple yet lovely centerpieces.

So, even if Taemin had 100 dates to complete or even if he had to save the universe, Minho would handcuff Taemin to his own wrist if it would make him not leave the flower shop.

 

I dream every day

Of holding your hand and flying forever, until always

 

When Minho was deep in thought, mind occupied on which type of flowers should he use for tomorrow, eyes closed while his head bobbed to Chen’s ‘Best Luck’, a tinkling sound of the door’s bell was heard.

He subconsciously opened his eyes and perked his head up; voice automatically welcomed the customer, feet standing up right away.

“Welcome, what can I help you with…” His words trailed off in the end because the customer was, in fact, that girl! That heavenly, gorgeous stranger whom he spent 10 to 15 minutes with, whom he imagined as his girlfriend and have fun dates with and…

Focus, Minho, focus! His conscience reminded sternly.

The girl picked another yellow rose from one of the buckets, the skirt of her baby pink floral sundress swaying side by side, in sync with her wavy hair as she practically glided to the counter.

“This, please.” Her raspy, saccharine-like voice requested, placing the vibrant yellow flower on top of the wooden counter.

Minho took the rose in his hands, asked, “White satin ribbon?”

The beautiful stranger did nothing but nod and flashing Minho a polite smile, probably (and hopefully) delighted that he remembered.

While Minho went to the back of the store to fetch a white satin ribbon, the girl’s head wandered left to right around the flower shop, taking good looks at the colorful ocean of flowers surrounding her.

She took a deep breath, taking in the heavenly scent of the flowers, and sighed in content. Being in an artificial paradise like in the flower shop was always delightful after another rejection—“You have no talent,” they said.

Minho returned back in no time, a well-groomed yellow rose in his hand, and a perfectly tied white bow visible around its stem. Minho smiled, and it’s an, ‘I really like my job’ kind of smile, as his hand was stretch out to her, waiting for her to take the rose. It was a glad smile that he’d done his job well, a delighted and relieved smile that he was surrounded by the things he liked.

And she admired his smile.

“Here you go,” he said, after she took the single flower. “That’d be 3000 won.”

 

I can just love me baby

Promise me that until the moment you can’t see the end

 

It went silent as she opened her brown satchel to take her wallet, and the only audible sounds were the sound of her rummaging her bag and Block B’s ‘Your Umbrella’ from the speakers.

This time, the girl gave Minho exactly 3000 won, giving Minho no extra minute to prepare the change for her. She turned around to the exit door, leaving Minho feeling quite disappointed that she’d left so soon. He watched her back, feeling a tiny bit melancholic over a mere stranger, as she was about to open the door.

And just when the tinkling sound was heard, just as she was about to exit the door, heaven's tears poured heavily.

Minho felt like having a ‘Eureka!’ moment; he could spend a little bit more time with her! And he swore he could hear the celebratory ‘hallelujah’ song ringing melodiously in his ears.

But, to his dismay, the girl still exited the shop, her body waiting under the roof of Grandma Lee’s flower shop. From Minho’s vision, it seemed like she was searching for her bag, but ended without any result. Seeing how her sandals were beginning to get wet from the water droplets falling to the ground harshly, Minho practically ran towards the exit door.

“Excuse me,” Minho said, rather nervously after he had opened the store’s glass door. “Please stay inside… if you wanted to. It’s too cold outside.”

The girl simply looked at him; a single look that made his heart race and filled his cheeks & ears with heat. She then nodded slightly, and showed her gratitude to him silently with an appreciative smile, before going back into the shop.

Minho went behind the wooden counter and pulled a stool for her to sit. He then gestured her to sit in a gentlemanly manner before going back to the back of the store. “Please wait for a moment, I’ll try search for an umbrella…”

Before the girl could do anything to stop him—even by just opening —Minho had already vanished to the back room of the shop. A click of a door was heard, and moments later, she could catch the pitter-patter of little feet and soft purrs against the steady sound of the pouring rain.

“Meow.”

Enter a fat white cat with interestingly black-furred legs, its body a tad bit wet. It pranced to a small cushion placed on a corner behind the wooden counter, and it sat there; its moist body clean before snuggling against the soft, comfortable cushion, before falling into a peaceful, undisturbed slumber.

At the sight of the sleeping cat and the sound of the heavy yet relaxing downpour, her eyelids began to grow heavy. From the outside, the rain trickled and tapped on the windows in a calming and soothing rhythm, which managed to drowse her. The clouds created a shade, that helped relaxing her tired eyes and she comfortably look out to the foggy, gray outdoors, that were covered by the rain that seemed like a million melancholic tears falling at once.

She yawned discreetly, not wanting the handsome worker wearing a simple white shirt that showed his biceps to hear—not that she really kept a close eye on him—and with her elbows propped on top of the wooden counter, she tried her best on staying awake by supporting her head with her hands.

Which didn’t work, by the way, seeing that she fell asleep right after, her propped head and arms falling abruptly.

Meanwhile, in the back room, Minho was searching high and low rather frantically for his umbrella. His green, Kero Kero Keroppi-printed umbrella; the one his adorably sweet niece had gifted to him for his 18th birthday last year. The one he had always felt embarrassed to use, but still went around with it everywhere anyway. The green, cartoon frog printed umbrella that he was sure that that idiot Taemin had borrowed without permission.

He didn’t quite get why he had offered her an umbrella when it was raining cats and dogs outside; maybe it was her impatient facial expression, or how hurried her steps seemed, or the fact that she didn’t stay inside when it started to rain, possibly even considering to run in the rain, protective gear-less. He should’ve offered to stay until the rain stopped, or perhaps even offering her a cup of hot tea—yes, that was the right thing. Why couldn’t he spurt that out earlier instead?

Oh dear, Minho thought worriedly, what if she saw me as a rude person?

What if the girl misinterpreted his innocent offering of an umbrella as a sign from him for wanting her to leave? What if the girl thought of him as someone not gentlemanly and chivalrous enough to let her wander around in the pouring rain, alone? What if she wouldn’t come to the flower shop again due to his rudeness and discourtesy and he wouldn’t see her again and Grandma Lee would lose a seemingly loyal customer?

Shouldn’t he just offer to help her call a taxi or something? He knew he was being paranoid, as usual, but still. What if the girl liked to over-analyze, just like him?

With an anxious look and no cartoon frog print umbrella, Minho proceeded back to the shop. There was no sign of sound, save the Block B song that was still playing and the water tapping staccatos against every surface available, and he fretted that she had already fled the shop.

But, as soon as he was greeted by a mop of shiny black hair on top of the wooden counter, followed by a skinny body and the distinct sound of constant soft snores that went heard when he moved closer, he breathed a sigh of relief. Well, not the creepy, ‘thank goodness she stayed so I am able to watch her sleep’ kind, but the relieved one, the ‘I found out that this girl wasn’t offended by my actions’ kind of relief.

He really should refrain himself from over-reacting.

 

Even in this falling rain, be my umbrella baby

 

Minho pulled another stool, sitting on the other side of the wooden counter. His eyes then face her closed ones, and he couldn’t help but to randomly notice of how long her eyelashes were.

Stop being so creepy Minho, dammit!

Although her right cheek was squashed against her arm and her lips were way too pouty than it should have been, he still thought of her as adorably cute. Innocence and serenity were evident on her sleeping face, and the stray strands of hair that fell upon her porcelain skin turned her cold city woman look into a more harmless, fairy-like one.   

Looking at her felt like hot chocolate on a snowing, winter day, or a Sunday well-spent under the fluffy, comforting bedcovers, or gazing at the calm, star-filled, moonlit night sky. If he were being honest, just by looking at this stranger in front of him, turned him heavy-eyed as well.

In short, her slumber was contagious. And the rain outside didn’t help, either; it sounded like a strangely loud yet soothing lullaby against the roof, the windows, and the concrete ground outside.

After spending one night with no sleep, with his eyelids barely fluttered shut, Minho had ironically fallen asleep because of the source of his sleepless night.


Hey guys! Second chapter is here! Sorry if it took long, I have exams and will still have them until next week. I'm not even sure if I can post the second chapter at this rate. Anyways, progress! Although I'm not finished with the third chapter yet, I could tell you guys that there'll be more interactions! Please tell me what you think about this chapter, if you have the luxury of time^^ see you next chapter!