last summer- the prologue

Daisy Darling

In between the cracks of sunlight

In between the flowing white clouds

In between the blowing wind, you shine

 

Infinite’s ‘Last Summer’ started to play from the shop’s two speakers; the joyful tune with plucks of guitar strings and light-hearted vocals began to echo throughout the room. The relatively spacious flower shop consisted of 3 brick walls and one made out of glass that overtook the whole front side of the building, which served as a huge window to display the contents of the store.

Flowers of every colour were visible, from asters to lilies, roses to forget-me-nots, all stored in numerous buckets filled with clean water, which were placed strategically so buyers could get the best visuals possible. The flower shop, undeniably, had the most divine smell out of the entire block of stores, even the cafe that brewed and baked roasted coffee and delicious desserts.

A tall figure donning a white muscle shirt dirtied with earth, hair raven black and tousled, was seen at the wooden counter, which was just beside the cashier table, arranging a bouquet of peonies for a male customer who was waiting. He then flashed the customer a sincere smile before giving the well-made bouquet to him, before guiding the customer to the cashier table on the right.

Choi Minho sent the customer out with a ‘thank you’ and a fairly deep bow as the customer walked out from the glass door, looking pleased, and the ringing sound of the bell was completely heard after the door went open and closed.

Minho sighed—out of relief and please—that the customer truly enjoyed the bouquet. His customer was going to surprise his sick girlfriend, and Minho had suggested peonies, which symbolized ‘healing’.

It was the middle of June, when the weather had just started getting hotter and more humid. From the outside, Minho saw quite a lot of people around his age; it was also the summer holiday for students like himself, a high-schooler.

He could spot a mother holding her child’s hand tightly, a group of young girls chattering excitedly, and an elderly couple walking hand in hand. He then averted his gaze towards a metal bucket containing flowers of various forms and hues. Time to practice, he thought.

Minho finished about 20 minutes later, with a vibrant and bright bouquet of flowers placed on a clear vase in front of him. It consisted of light pink and yellow roses, white daisies, purple baby’s breath and lush green leaves at the bottom. Admiring his work, Minho wondered if he could sell the bouquet, and not paying attention to a person walking towards his store.

Only when the bell attached to the glass door rang, Minho finally diverted his gaze from the bouquet of beautiful flowers to the source of the sound, and instinctively greeted the soon-to-be buyer with a, “Welcome.”

 

You come into me; faintly, shyly, you come upon me

 

And just like that—‘Last Summer’ playing from the speakers, with the bubbly blossoms surrounding, the divine floral scent wafting in the air, the aircon blasting at full speed—was when he first met someone whose beauty could rival the contents of the flower-clad room.


The prologue is now up! I apologize for the short prologue, but I had to keep it that way since I didn't want to reveal too much, and I think a chaste prologue suits this story best. 

Please tell me what you think so far, guys, although there's not much to comment. What do you think of high-schooler Minho? And what do you think his personality will be? 

I hope you all enjoy this one!