Beginning

She's my black pearl

AUTHOR POV

Kai woke up and squinted his eyes when he was faced with the bright ray of light that entered his room through his curtains. Groaning he slowly got up and stretched his arms high up in the air before putting a shirt on, making sure his necklace was safely around his neck. Walking down the stairs he saw his aunt.

    “Ah, Jongin-ah!” His aunt smiled and waved, as she was about to make her way out the door.

    “Morning…” The said boy replied while rubbing his still sleepy eyes.

    “I’m just going to town for some errands. Don’t forget to eat breakfast! I’ll be out for a while.” She said and with that she was out the door. Sighing, Kai walked into the their kitchen and made a sandwich together with a glass of juice. Taking a seat on the living room sofa and placing the plate and glass on the glass table in front of him he grabbed the remote. He eyed the portrait of his parents that hung on the wall above the TV and smiled. It was from their wedding day and both of them were standing close to each other smiling happily towards the camera.

    “Good morning, eomma, appa.” He said and proceeded to turn the TV on and began flipping through the channels. After breakfast he changed clothes into a pair of shorts and a white V-neck before heading out to the beach.

    The house he lived in was on top of a short cliff and was right beside the beach making it easy for the boy to just walk down to meet his friends. Locking the door behind him he made his way down the path that lead him to the beach. He saw his friends standing not so far from him and waved when one of them spotted him.

    “Yo, Kai!” A dark husky voice called out and waved back.

    “Sup, Yeol.” Kai greeted his friend and smiled.

    “Not surfing today?” D.O a boy with big round eyes asked as he slipped the top part of his wet suit.

    Kai shook his head. “Nah, don’t feel like it.”

    “Aw, come one man!” Yeol also known as Chanyeol said as he clutched his yellow surfboard. “I heard the waves are going to be great today!”

    “Baekhyun, can you please help me?” D.O asked his brunette friend to zip the back of suit on. “Thanks.” He picked his green surfboard up and started to stretch his shoulders.

    “Where’s Suho-hyung and Sehun by the way?” Kai asked when he noticed that there were only four of them standing there.

    “Suho had errands to run.” Baekhyun answered. “But he’ll pass by later.”

    “Maknae overslept.” Chanyeol said and ruffled his long locks.

    Kai just nodded and fixed his snapback on his head. A lot of people had already arrived at the beach even though it was only a little past noon.

    “What’re you going to do in the mean while?” Baekhyun asked and picked his white surfboard up.

    Kai shrugged and eyed the water in front of them. “Gonna go and think about her again?” Chanyeol grinned and wiggled his eyebrows.

    Kai chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck feeling the warmth from the sun there. “I’ll be where I usually am.” He said and the others nodded before they started to make their way towards the water while the boy walked towards the cliff.

    He sat down where he usually sat at the bottom of the cliff his house was on. His eyes were fascinated on how beautiful the waves splashed onto the rocks and left dark wet stains on them before they hit them again. His chest tightened as he gripped the round glass around his neck as a special memory appeared in his mind.

   -Flashback-

    “Umma, I’m gonna look at the water!”A nine-year-old Jongin said and ran towards the rails of the cruise ship he was on.

    “Alright, alright. Just be careful!” His mother said and smiled while his father stood beside her and watched their sun. Jongin’s eyes widened as he watched the dark ocean shining under the moonlight. “Uwaa, so pretty…” He whispered to himself in awe and continued to look at the dark water that allured him. But what he saw next made him gasp and take a step back from the rails.

    “W-What…?” He asked himself and slowly walked back to look down. There! He saw it again!

    Kai’s eyes concentrated on the moving shadow under the water. Was it a fish? He thought but then that would be a big fish! Could fishes be that big? Its silhouette was strangely formed for being a fish.

    But then the shadow whipped its head up surprising the young boy making his eyes wide and almost pop out like his friend Kyungsoo.

    It was a girl, a young girl in the water below him.  

    The girl turned her head up and got eye contact with the young boy staring at her. Her big dark eyes widened as she saw him on the ship.

    “W-What are you doing down there?” Jongin asked in a raised voice so that she could hear him over the music that played up on deck. Did she possibly fall from the ship? But Jongin didn’t recognize her being on the ship, he who had basically met every single passenger here.

    The girl just blinked and stared and the boy in confusion. Jongin was about to ask once more but what she showed him next made his whole body freeze. A dark fish looking tail rose from the water right in front of the girl. It was a bit to big though to be a fish tail and Jongin had to rub his eyes before he looked at her again with the same wide eyes.

    “A-Are you a…” Jongin didn’t even to the finish the sentence as one of the fins playfully waved at him. Jongin waved back grinning but his thoughts were all messed up. Mermaids can’t possibly be real right? They’re just a myth like his mother said.

   “Are you a mermaid?” Jongin asked and his grin widened when she nodded with a small smile forming on her pink lips. She looked like she could be his age but he wasn’t sure. Jongin couldn’t believe it! He and the little mermaid just looked at each other before a loud thunder roared in the sky. Jongin gasped and looked up and saw the sky getting darker every second, thick clouds blocking the moonlight. He looked down at the little mermaid again and saw how her eyes turned worried as if she panicked.

    The waves got more aggressive and Jongin held onto the railings tightly as he felt the whole ship shake. Even the wind blew harder now making it hard for him to see when it started whipping him in the face. A huge wave suddenly hit the side of the ship making the boy loose his grip on the railings and tumble over them into the cold dark water. The last thing he saw before he passed out was the littler mermaid hurrying towards him with outstretched arms and wide eyes.

    “Come on… Come on…” He heard a soft voice filled with worry in his ears as he felt pressure on his chest.

    “Please…” The voice begged and Jongin slowly opened his eyes only to be hit by the strong sun light. After he got used to the light he looked up and saw a familiar tear stained face hovering above him.

    “Y-You’re alright!” The familiar girl in front of him said and wiped her wet cheeks with the back of her hands before embracing him in her arms. He was still confused as the girl was holding him in her arms. What happened? What is he doing on the beach, how did he get here?

    The girl pulled away with a smile on her face and Jongin blinked, suddenly remembering the little mermaid he saw a few hours ago. His eyes widened when his eyes saw her lower body.

    Even though he expected a pair of legs there weren’t any at all. Instead it was a tail, a long dark blue tail that was shimmering under the sunlight with a fin that was a lighter shade of blue. Kai looked at her face again and noticed that her eyes were as dark as her tail, with a tint of gray and her hair was jet black. It must’ve been the blackest black he’s ever seen as he stared at her damp hair as it stuck onto her back and shoulders a few strands clung onto her face. The colors made a huge contrast on her pearl like skin but Jongin thought it was pretty. She was really pretty.

    “Y-You’re really a mermaid…” He whispered still thinking that it was unbelievable that a live mermaid was right in front of him. The girl shyly smiled when his eyes kept looking at her.

    Jongin was about to say something else when he suddenly felt a sharp pain in his head and fell back on the sand with a pained expression.

    The girl panicked and tried to shake him trying to find out what’s wrong with the young boy. Seeing his pained expression the girls’ eyes turned even more sad and worried when she couldn’t help him. Looking down onto her silver shell locket around her neck she ripped it off her and opened it eyeing the shining black pearl that laid in it.

    Carefully placing it on the boy’s chest she muttered a few words and a light shined from the pearl across the boys body. Slowly, Kai’s expression became much calmer, so calm that the only sound that came from him was his relaxed breathing.

    The little mermaid smiled and caressed his cheek and was about to taker her pearl back when she heard loud sirens and cars getting closer. Panicking, the little mermaid hurried back into the water to hide. Giving one last glance at the boy she whispered. “Please take care of it until we meet again…”  

    And with that the girl disappeared back into the ocean.

-Flashback end-

 

Ever since then Kai hadn’t seen the little mermaid. He had heard what she said before he heard her disappear but his body wouldn’t want to move. The little mermaid that saved his life eight years ago hasn’t left his mind ever since then. If it weren’t for her he would’ve been apart of the sea back then. Sometimes Kai thought that it was all just a dream and that he was just lucky to survive the accident and not his parents but something told him that it wasn’t a dream at all. Even though he wasn’t the only survivor he was the one that ended up on the shore. Why? No one knew, only him.

    He was longing to see her again, waiting for the day they could meet once more. Was she longing for him as much as he was for her? Was she out there waiting too? Kai saw as his friends rode a wave and laughed loudly. It wasn’t hard to hear Chanyeols booming laughter. Kai smiled for himself and faced the water in front of him again.

    Clutching his necklace he sighed deeply. “When will I be able to see you again?” Kai asked himself.

    Soon… A soft voice was heard and Kai’s eyes widened and looked around. He didn’t see anyone; no one was there except him. He faced the calm water in front of him again and blinked in confusion.

    “I’m probably just hearing things…” He sighed and ruffled his hair.

________

A/N Hello! I hope that you'll enjoy the first chapter of this fic even though it's really short, I apologize for that! I hope you'll like this fic and support it, I was going to make a poster but I don't really know what kind yet please wait for that too haha ^^;; This is the first time I'm writing fantasy so please bare with me ><

    Can you guess where I got the inspiration from for this fic c: ?

Please comment and subscribe!!