Chicky Baby

Chicky Baby

Chicky Baby

 

 

 

Closed eyes fluttered open at the piercing sound of an alarm clock one Monday morning.  A yawn escaped to the air within the baby blue colored room. A Krong character blanket got crinkled as little limbs began stretching, stretching, stretching. The boy on the bed sat up, scratching his back a bit until he felt good. Then a smile formed on his face.

“Time to wake up now.” His squeaky little voice called out gently, as he directed his attention to the one beside him.“C’moooon~ Don’t sleep anymore my chicky~”He then cradled the sleeping figure in his arms, gently rocking it side to side as if it were his baby.

Little seven-year-old Kim Jongin had a favorite chick plushie. He loved the cute stuffed animal more than cereal and orange juice; more than race car toys and lego blocks. This was his darling, his precious, his world. Ever since he got it for his birthday last year, he and the toy have been inseparable. He suddenly couldn’t imagine life without the stuffed animal the moment he laid eyes on it. It was so soft, and so round, and so infinitely squishy—plus it was Yellow. Yellow was a bright color. Jongin liked Yellow.

“Jongie!” The boy’s mother called as she entered the room.

“Shhhh!”Jongin replied, with one finger to his lips signifying silence please. “Umma, chicky is still sleeping. You can’t wake him up like that. He’ll get cranky. You have to rock him back and forth like this, slowly. You see? Then you just wait for a while. He takes three minutes before waking up.”

Mrs. Kim chuckled at her baby’s cuteness.

“Ok Sweetie, I’m sorry.” She whispered. “By the way, do you know what day it is today?”

Jongin thought for a while. “Monday?”

Mrs. Kim giggled. “Well, yes baby. But not just any Monday. You know my good friend, Mrs. Do, right?”

Jongin tapped a finger to his chin. “Hmm… the nice lady who has tea with you all the time?”

“Yup.”

“Oh. I like her, umma. She always brings two packets of crackers for me and chicky when she visits.”

“Did you know she has a son, Jongie?”

Jongin’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yup. His name is Kyungsoo and he’s older than you by a year. So he’s your hyung.”

“H-hyung?”Jongin frowned. He didn’t exactly have a positive image of older kids.

What if this Kyungsoo tried to take Chicky away from him? It wouldn’t be the first time it happened. Just three weeks ago, a girl from day care who he can’t recall the name of, wanted to borrow his Chicky. He said he didn’t want to lend it to her, but she went right ahead and started pulling Chicky out of Jongin’s grasp. She kept telling him that she was older, so he should let her borrow. But Jongin didn’t want to. Chicky was his. Only his. The mean girl wouldn’t have let go if teacher Ryeowook didn’t intervene. By that time, Jongin was already crying. He was so terrified that Chicky would be taken away. From that moment on, he avoided older kids at the day care as much as he could.

“Kyungsoo’s going to have his first day at your day care today. The Do family transferred to our neighborhood just yesterday because of Mr. Do’s job. So Kyungsoo had to transfer day cares too. Be nice to him and take care of him, ok? Introduce him to Sehun and to Chicky.”

Jongin’s lips wobbled. “… I don’t think Chicky wants to meet him. Chicky is scared.”

Mrs. Kim smiled softly at her child. She did remember Ryeowook, Jongin’s day care teacher, had said something about an older child forcibly trying to take Chicky away from her son. She went to Jongin’s bed and sat down beside him. She patted his head and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Don’t worry, Sweetie. Kyungsoo won’t do anything bad to Chicky. In fact, I’ve met Kyungsoo the times I visited the Dos. He’s a very nice kid, and I’m sure you’ll like him.”

“You think so?”

“Yes, darling. I’m positive.Now let’s go get you ready for day care.”

After bathing, getting dressed and eating breakfast, Jongin slid on his backpack, held onto Chicky, and went to the day care with his parents.

 

 

“Jonginnie!” a kid called out as soon as Jongin stepped inside.

“Sehunnie!”Jongin replied happily as he ran to the other, and they hugged; swaying side to side.

“Hi Chicky.”Sehun had greeted when he noticed the stuffed animal in Jongin’s hand. “Jongin, I think he’s getting fat. What have you been feeding him?”

Jongin giggled. “I like it when he gets fat.”

Mr. and Mrs. Kim each kissed Jongin before they left, and the two boys headed over to the coloring table.

 

 

“Good morning Jongin-ah!Sehun-ah!”Ryeowook greeted the boys.

“Good morning Ryeowook sunsaengnim,” they both replied.

“Hey, we will have a new kid today. Isn’t that right, Jongin?”

“Yeah…”

“Oh? Really?Your friend, Jonginnie?”Sehun asked.

“Nope. He’s the son of my umma’s friend. His name is Do Kyungsoo.”

“That’s right,” Ryeowook affirmed. “Since it’s his first day here, your umma told you to take care of him, right? She told me over the phone this morning.”

“Yeah…”

“So you should be nice to him too, ok Sehun?”

“Yes sunsaengnim.”

“Very good! You two are such good boys! Now, I have to go over and check on the other kids. Kyungsoo might come any time, so just look out for him. Mrs. Do told me he’s got big eyes, he’s shorter than you guys, and he’s wearing a yellow sweater along with jeans and sneakers.

Bring him to me when you see him, then the three of you can play right after I introduce him to the class. Ok?”

“Ok.” They both replied.

Ryeowook ruffled their hair, and went on his way.

 

Jongin sighed.

“What’s wrong, Jonginnie?”

“Kyungsoo… Kyungsoo is older. He’s our hyung.”

“Oh…” Sehun frowned. He knew about the incident three weeks ago. Of course he would; he was the one who had to comfort a crying Jongin. He knew just how much Chicky meant to the tanned boy. “Don’t worry, Jonginnie. If you want, you can just say ‘hi’ to Kyungsoo, then I’ll take care of him. You and Chicky can go do whatever you want.”

Jong In smiled at Sehun. “Thanks Sehunnie… But that’s alright. My umma told me to do it, so I have to. Plus she said he’s nice anyway… so maybe it won’t be that bad. I’ll just hide behind you if he tries to snatch Chicky away.”

“Ok. You can do that.”

Sehun and Jong In continued to color their coloring books, as Chicky watched them on his own little seat.

 

 

“Umma… I’m shy…” a little eight-year-old Kyungsoo clung to his mother’s leg.

Mrs. Do fondly ruffled the boy’s hair and carried him into her arms.

“Don’t worry baby. Remember what I told you this morning?”

“… about Mrs. Kim’s son? Umm…Jongin?”

“Yup. He’s going to take care of you, so you don’t have to worry about a thing.”

“… Ok.”

 

Mrs. Do opened the door to Kyungsoo’s classroom.

“Ok love, I’m going to put you down now.” She kissed his cheek one last time. “Just look for a boy with skin like chocolate, wearing a blue dress shirt and jeans. Don’t forget to check if he has a stuffed toy with him. What did I say about it?”

“I shouldn’t touch Chicky unless Jongin says it’s ok.”

“That’s right dear. You’re good to go.”

Mrs. Do put Kyungsoo down and hugged him before she left.

“Bye umma…”

“Bye sweetheart. Make lots of friends.”

“O-ok…”

The classroom door closed, and Kyungsoo was left on his own. The boy bit his lower lip, and held on tightly to the straps of his backpack. He was now in a room full of kids he didn’t know. He was scared and nervous and mostly scared. Has it been mentioned he was scared?  Yup. He was quite short for someone his age, and was squished by bigger kids back at his former day care while they were running around. The hard thing was, it happened to him at least twice a week because his classmates were all rowdy. It came to a point where he preferred to stay in one corner of the room, just reading the books there even for the nth time, because he was afraid of being squished. He never really told his mom, because he didn’t want to worry her. The only one who knew and was his only friend, was teacher Henry. Teacher Henry was nice to him, and brought him the coloring stuff and toys from all the way across the room. He played with Kyungsoo all the time, and made sure the boy was kept safe from all rowdy kids. He also never told Mrs. Do anything, which Kyungsoo was very thankful for.

But now there was no teacher Henry, and the environment was all new to the small boy. Kyungsoo hoped to find Kim Jongin fast, and make friends with him so he won’t feel lonely and afraid so much. Surely the son of the woman who always gave him lollipops during her visits would also be nice. He started his perilous journey into the classroom, in search for a tanned boy with a stuffed chick.

Unfortunately for the petite male, Ryeowook had announced snack time. The kids all erupted into joyful shrieks and proceeded to run to the teacher’s direction. Kyungsoo saw the rushing kids and got terrified. He immediately started running as well; in an effort to avoid being trampled on. Just then, out of nowhere, a boy much taller than him stood right in front of him. Said tall boy took his hand and pulled him out of stampede’s way.

Soon, all the running was over, and Kyungsoo got a chance to properly look at his savior. The tall boy had a head full of orange curls, with a smile plastered on his face that made his eyes crinkle.

“Are you alright?”

Kyungsoo blushed. “Yeah… Thank you. I’ve never been rescued before.”

“No problem! I’m the super hero in this class,” the tall boy said smugly. “You’re a new face, huh? I’ve never seen you before. What’s your name, new kid?”

“Umm… I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

“Ok. I’m Park Chanyeol. Channie or Yeollie for short. I’m nine years old.”

“Oh. I’m just eight. You’re my hyung?”

“Yup! I’m actually the oldest here. So it’s like I’m everyone’s hyung and oppa. And their super hero too. I once helped someone tie their shoelaces, you know? And get the art box from the top shelf. I’m like the teacher’s helper.”

“Wooow… you sound really nice… Can you be my friend?” Kyungsoo asked shyly, looking down at the floor to try and conceal his blush.

Chanyeol giggled. “You’re really cute, huh? Sure I’ll be your friend! My Kyungie~”

Kyungsoo blushed harder at the nickname and Chanyeol giggled some more. The taller once again took Kyungsoo’s hand as they headed to Ryeowook to claim their snacks.

“Oh! I just remembered something important.”

“What is it Kyungie?”

“I’m looking for Kim Jongin. He’s supposed to take care of me. Umma said so.”

“Jongin?”Chanyeol’s brows furrowed in thought. “You mean the guy with chocolate skin, and who always has a chick with him?”

“Yeah! Yeah! He’s the one. Can you bring me to him after we eat?”

“Of course!”Chanyeol replied enthusiastically. “Don’t worry citizen! I shall help you find Kim Jongin. I’m pretty sure he’s just playing around with Sehun somewhere.”

 

 

Sehun, Jongin and Chicky approached Ryeowook. Ryeowook handed them their small plates of pancakes.

“So, have you two seen Kyungsoo yet?”

The two shook their heads no.

Hopefully he won’t come, Jongin wished as he held onto Chicky tightly.

“Oh! Would you look at that! Looks like Chanyeol found him ahead of you guys.” Ryeowook had said.

The two boys turned around to see Park Chanyeol dragging a short kid.

 

Jongin’s eyes grew large as his mouth dried. His felt the gears in his heart suddenly slow down until they stopped spinning altogether. Because what was in front of him may have been perfection personified.

 Never did Jongin think that a Yellow sweater on top of narrow shoulders could snatch his breath away. Those oh-so chubby cheeks were just begging to be pinched and kissed; those huge sparkly eyes just holding all the stars in the universe in the most precious way. It was as if Chicky had come to life in human form. Maybe he did. Jongin found himself running towards the shorter kid, all the world forgotten. Mind not registering his name being called by Ryeowook and Sehun. He didn’t even see Chanyeol as he got closer to his target.

There was only Kyungsoo.

He charged at full speed, effectively knocking down the petite male and squishing him.

Any other occasion and Kyungsoo would have cried because nooo! I’m being squished again! But last time he checked, being showered in kisses wasn’t part of the whole ordeal.

 

“Waaaaah! So cuuuute! Look at you~ My little Chicky baby~” Jongin cooed as he kissed Kyungsoo’s cheeks, nose and eyes .“So squishy!” He began pinching the shorter male’s cheeks. “Squish, squish,” he giggled. “Sooo chubby~ Sooo precious~ Wanna hug you~” And so he did.

Kyungsoo was still in shock at the flurry of events. His eyes finally fell onto a blue dress shirt, jeans and skin like chocolate. This must be Jongin. He was about to ask a question, but then Jongin pulled away from the hug and cupped his cheeks.

“I like you, hyung! Can I take care of you?”

The question got forgotten somewhere in Kyungsoo’s brain, replaced with the words from Jongin’s lips. The petite male smiled widely at Jongin. His umma was right—it seemed that he wouldn’t need to worry about anything with Jongin around. “Ok, Jongin!”

“That’s my little Chicky baby!” Jongin began to tickle Kyungsoo, causing the latter to fall to the ground, laughing at each touch. “Aigoo~ I want to keep you, hyung! Maybe I can ask Mrs. Do to give you to me for Christmas. ”

He began to rub Kyungsoo’s tummy soothingly, to which Kyungsoo giggled 

“Sounds fun…” Kyungsoo shyly replied.

Soon, Sehun had gone over to them, and Jongin introduced Sehun to Kyungsoo. The three seemed to hit off well. Chanyeol smiled in satisfaction. “My work here is done!” He then went to Ryeowook for his snack.

Kyungsoo was supposed to ask where Chicky was.

Chicky laid on the ground, forgotten.

 

By nap time, Kyungsoo was snuggled with Jongin under a small blanket. Jongin couldn’t help but let his fingers run through each soft strand of hair. He wouldn’t be needing Chicky anymore. His Chicky baby Kyungie hyungie would be enough.

Suddenly, not all older kids were such a bad thing.

 

 

But wait a minute… does this mean they’ll try to take Kyungsoo away from him?

 

 

 

 

fin

 

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************

Author's note:

I told you guys I didn't know what this was :p

Thanks for reading and have a great day!