Chapter 4

Betrayal of the rising star

""A week has past and Ryosuke hasn't visit Mirai since. He has however received daily updates about her situation and was aware that her body has gotten weaker. He didnt need a physician to tell him her condition because when he stood silently at the doorway, he saw her cheeks sunken with her face looking frail and dull. her lips were chapped and her shoulders slouching as if she's
 too weak to sit up straight. 

this day in particular, his mind was preoccupied with her, not just because of the royal engagement of her lover with the daughter of her rival manor, but also because this is an important day for herself. he kept a close watch on his time, hoping he could block out some time to pay her a visit today after the slap he gave her. Ayame has requested that Mirai's chains to be opened just for today, since she'll need some fresh air to ease her breaking heart as she realised it the day of royal engagement. Daiki was deployed to safeguard Mirai.ryosuke didn't know why he was feeling so but he has been concerned with her feelings. he was afraid she will suffer a mental breakdown especially when she's alone. Fortunately, he could deploy Daiki and Ayame to be with her.

Ryosuke galloped quickly against the morning sun with Yamaguchi and Yuto close behind him. Both have advised that a small group of elite guards be following Ryosuke as well, but he didnt want to make the other party feel threatened. 

"Ryosuke, are you sure about it? I don't think any of them are trustable," Yuto hollered out to his master in front. Yamaguchi nodded and added his views, "that darn blood of betrayal and evil run in their veins, Yuya or Kamiki, they are both capable of trampling on others sincerity."

"there's no harm listening out.furthermore, he has chosen to arrange this meeting on his brother's engagement, that means he doesn't want his brother to in to this. if we are lucky, we can get them slitting each other's throat and we don't even have to do a thing."

the two nodded in half agreement but they knew there's no talking Ryosuke out of what he has decided. 

"anyway, they're here already, so lets keep our discussion until after the meeting" Ryosuke said softly as they approached the group of 3 standing in the distance within sight.

keeping a close range between the 2 parties, Yuya was quick to greet, "we meet again Otoutou" he gave a welcoming smile, but Ryosuke reacted with a grin

"please don't call me that, I'm not used to it anymore. Just call me Ryosuke, and I'll call you Yuya"

Yuya took a big gulped as if being slapped in the face by his little brother. it was always him trashing Ryosuke, but for the first time, he felt it was the other way around. "okay, if you say so, lets go to the point"

"yes, I'll prefer that"

"I am sure you are hoping for a chance to return to court. I can give you that chance. with my help, it'll be easy to secure. I'll get you in and out safely"

Ryosuke was surprised at Yuya's offer. it came too easy that he knew things aren't so simple. he gave a sarcastic laugh.

"what is it in for you? I hate people who beat around the bush, so you might as well just lay out your motives" Ryosuke raised his eyebrow and said in a cocky tone.

Yuya is becoming less tolerant of being outsmarted by the once stupid brother of his, but for the sake of his plans, he swallowed all his grievances.

"if I said I have no motives, you wouldn't believe me. honestly, I do not want Kamiki to be the King, and I alone have no power to resist him and the Empress. you, regardless of how powerful you have become, require some luck and opportunity. if we work together, you'll become more powerful than you already are, and chances of overthrowing Kamiki is so much higher. we can sort out our differences later, but first we should work together to get rid of our common goal"

Ryosuke smirked once more as he has expected everything Yuya has said. he knew that based on Yuya's self-centered attitude, he wouldn't let this chance of trampling over Kamiki slip off. that is why Ryosuke didn't heed Yuto and Yamaguchi's advise, cause if there's one thing Yuya has said correctly, it is the fact that he is missing that luck and opportunity to strike.

"so you are offering a temporary truce and an alliance?" Ryosuke summed up.

"it's mutual, and I believe you'll make a wise decision Ryosuke," Yuya was confident he will accept but for his plan to work, there's just one more criteria he has to agree.

"Ryosuke, I will keep to my promise to bring you in and out of court, but you have to promise me that you cannot be armed when you enter and you cannot bring your men along."

"no way! Ryosuke, you cannot agree to that," Yuto objected loudly.'

"you have given your shinobi too much freedom that he is interfering into your affairs. perhaps, I could offer your shinobi a proper refresher course if Ryosuke, you can't afford to. here we have world class training," Yuya mocked, making Yuto shrink  slightly.

Ryosuke gave Yuto a glare then continued, "I apologise on behalf of Yuto. I accept your offer, but mind you, should anything happen to me, they will order an attack on the Ryunosuke. don't be surprised at the strength of my army, they can easily behead you within a snap of my fingers."

Yuya was once again taken aback by the threatening statement of Ryosuke and gulped a blob of saliva to ease his tension.

"may I set the date on the first of next month, the first fall of autumn. that means 30 days for any preparation from your end" Ryosuke requested.

"yes, first of fall of autumn it shall be. I wish for your every success"

"yes, you better pray for the best of me, cause if our plan screws, then I'm sure your life would be as wrecked as mine" Ryosuke revealed a sinister grin then galloped away in his horse.

Ryosuke became increasingly perplexed with the ongoing murmurs behind his back. he finally lost his head, turning around and giving a stern gaze at his shinobi and his uncle. just as he did that, he became sure that they were both hiding something from him. they gasped and avoided his determined glance that strikes the core of their guilt-stricken hearts.

"don't look at me like that, it's him, not me" Yamaguchi pointed at Yuto and shoved all the questions to the younger man.

"Nakajima Yuto! you know I hate people who keep things from me and as my shinobi, you swore to never lie. if you don't spill it now, I will not hesitate to end your life" Ryosuke withdrew his sword and pointed it at Yuto. Yuto backed away slightly then lowered his head as if in shame. 

"I'm sorry, Ryosuke... they begged me to let them attend the royal engagement. she wanted to see it for her own eyes, and I thought it isn't a bad thing cause then she'll finally feel disappointed in that treacherous prince.," 

"what?! you let Mirai attend the engagement?! and let me guess, the 'they' you must be referring to Ayame and Daiki," Ryosuke was fuming in anger, and unknown to them he is becoming worried that she'll met with mishap.

"Gomenasai Ryosuke, but they promised to bring her back by evening"

"Yuto, you..." he vented his frustration by pounding on the rough tree trunk. Clenching his fist and shutting his eyes, he thought deeply of their next plan. the growing anxiety was difficult to ignore, and was even weakening him.

*****
both sides of the streets are flooded with guards and spectators, it was so packed that the trio had to cling to each other tightly in case they split up. it was daunting as everyone was pushing to catch a glimpse of princess Asuka Okamoto who was in the limelight ever since the announcement of marriage. 

"the people used to look up the Shida Manor, but they didnt even bother to remember us now. worshipping the Okamoto without even pondering about happened to the former lady and her family who have served the people for generations," Mirai's voice cracked numerous times when she recounted the scene before them. Ayame wrapped her arms around her lady's frail shoulders and realised how much weight she has lost. it is expected after seeing how she has lost her appetite, sometimes even initiate a food protest to make her captors submit to her. it was almost impossible to get her to at least understand that they aren't unreasonable people.

"what are those people holding up?" Mirai asked as she spotted other than the Okamoto supporters, that there were people dispersed all around with banners splashed with red paint and upon closer look, the words on the banners are filled glaring words of strong language "CONSPIRACY OF THE RYUNOSUKE!", "WE DO NOT WANT A MURDERER KING!" and "DOWN WITH KAMIKI!"

Mirai gasped as it hits her with the stuff Ayame and Yuto have been telling her. she began doubting and finally suspect that her father and her whole family were victimized by the whole conspiracy. Before she could fully comprehend the situation, she saw the packs of protestors being swarmed by armed guards who appeared from nowhere. She saw those people brutally beaten and was so heartbroken to see them helpless that she just recklessly wanted to move towards them, not knowing how exactly to alleviate their agony. 

"My lady, you can't go there!" Ayame and Daiki pulled her back and cupped as she called out to their moans and groans. 

"let go off me... they need our help and if you guys are not going to help, i will!" Mirai asserted sternly. but no one in the right mind would actually let her act on her will. her life will be endangered.

"no we won't let go, his purpose might jolly well be to arrest you, and they could be the bait. you are the only one left, my lady"

Instead of further retaliation, Daiki and Ayame noticed Mirai has quietened down drastically. they saw her eyes whelming with tears and her gaze was stern and unflickering. they looked where her eyes was fixated.

the engaged couple stood on a moving platform, waving at the public with pride and happiness that contrast with those at the bottom whose could barely brace a smile on their faces. the contrast is enough to make the trio's heart cringe in sorrows. but the lady in the middle of the trio was not just in sorrows, she was heartbroken, devastated and confused. she felt abandoned, she felt like the whole world forsaken her. she needed to be heard, she didnt want anyone to leave her out, not her family, not her lover... 

"Kamiki!!!! it's me Mirai!!! you promised me! you told me you're not going to marry her!!! Kamiki!!!! you can't do this!!! what about your promise about my family, what about me?!!!!!" Mirai shouted repeatedly with excruciating cries. and it was only in a matter of time, people took notice of her, unfortunately it wasn't the recipient of her calls, it was everyone else. the guards raised their armory and was charging to arrest her. "it's Shida Mirai! catch her!" they shouted and it sent a ripple of guards swarming towards her. even so, she hope Kamiki could notice her, but still he was soaked in the celebratory mood build upon the sufferings of the people on the ground.

"there's too many of them!" Daiki said as he led Ayame and the trembling Mirai through the crowd. there were many who grabbed Mirai's sleeves, hoping to get her and exchange for cash rewards from the authorities, but Mirai wouldn't blame them for they are also forced by circumstances.

"be careful" Daiki shouted as he saw Mirai facing troubles navigating through the grappling hands. but more dangers approach as the guards close in fast.

"Daiki~" Ayame cried when she knew they are surrounded. the route forward was a dead end and the guards are at all corners, trapping the three. 

"Gomenasai minna... I drag all of you into these, just to satisfy my stubbornness. you guys keep persuading me about giving him up, if only I listened. I'm a jinx... I only let down everyone around me... I let down my whole family too..." Mirai kneeled on the rough  floor and cried desperately. The guards mercilessly pointed their swords at the three, and was about to make an official arrest when suddenly there were arrows flying from an unknown source, accurately piercing through the hearts of several guards. while the commotion to find out their attackers, the trio were left unattended. Daiki signaled to Mirai and Ayame to slip away but when they did, the remaining guards refocused at them. 

"Ahhhh Daiki!" a guard grabbed Mirai by her collar and pulled her backwards, away from the two in the front. 

"Mirai!!!" the two shouted. Daiki couldn't leave Mirai alone but neither could he stop and get Ayame killed. 

"Ayame, run forward! don't turn back!" Daiki instructed and she nodded obediently, trusting whatever plans he have is at their best interest.

several guards chased after the two who splitted ways. Ayame who is as unskilled as Mirai was trembling as she saw at least three guards behind her. 

"come!" a voice called out and when she looked, she saw a familiar man she saw back at camp.

"Yamaguchi-san!" she shouted while reaching out to his protection. Yamaguchi, though older than Ryosuke by double, the wielding of his sword was strong and skillful. in a few waves, he slitted the throats of the guards. grabbing me by my arms, he brought her to safety, and Ayame was even more convinced that Ryosuke's pack deserved her trust and loyalty. 

Daiki on the other hand was surprised to be rescued by Yuto. he was in awe when he saw how versatile the taller shinobi was and how refined his archery and swordsmanship was. it wasn't difficult for the two to make the escape, but it was Mirai who worries everyone. "what about Mirai?! I need to get her out too..." Daiki reiterated to Yuto.

"don't worry. she's in good hands," Yuto replied with confidence. "lets meet with Yamaguchi-san and Ayame first," he added. 

****
"let me go!!!" Mirai struggled with all her might but to no avail. their grip was not only firm but was hurting. for some reason, she remembered the grip from another person... unexpectedly, he came into her thoughts, and it was in a good way. she recalled how assuring it was, how firm but yet comforting, strong but affirmatively secured. then most surprisingly, the boy in her past superseded all recollections. it felt similar, so similar she's began to yearn for the long deprivation. has this yearning been transferred to Ryosuke? then does it also mean she forgave Ai-kun? she thought intensely, temporarily disregarding the tremulous situation she's is in. she didnt even realise there was a drastic change in the power play. she was no longer restrained, she was freed from the daunting grip, 
furthermore, it felt as though her yearnings have been heard. a warm hand secured her freezing palm, imparting sufficient warm to calm her tensed nerves. she thought the childhood playmate of hers has returned, and even when she looked up, she thought she saw him. reminding herself of reality, she brought back her senses and was disheartened by the reality, yet at the same time, her heart felt a subtly touched. 

"stop dreaming!" he called out with frustration. he was afraid the crowd would break the grip so he wrapped his arms around her instead. 

"Y-you..." she wanted to make a fuss of his unannounced skinship, but she couldn't bring herself to say cause she felt her heart beating in a different way. the collision of their skin, the emitted temperature of his tough skin, was memory jogging... it satisfied her cravings for a forgotten past. "how is it possible the feeling he gives off is so similar to...him...", she thought as he immersed himself in his secured arms. but such moments of tranquility within danger only lasted for the moment cause the next instance, all became fallacies.

after running through crowds, alleys, difficult routes, the two finally returned to camp. while Ryosuke looked as neat and dashing as he normally looked, Mirai was disheveled with swollen, reddened eyes which continued to tear. Ryosuke saw her sobbings, and wanted to sympathize with her until she decided to speak... or rather concede defeat.

"there's no point in me holding on to his love if he has moved on without me... he promised me so much but he has only betrayed me...My life, is hopeless as it is. take my life if you want," Mirai said with a discouraging tone. Ryosuke stared at her with intimidating eyes which she found awkward, so her eyes shifted everywhere but stare into his. however, what became apparent was his tightly clenched fist and his protruding veins. She looked up on his face and could almost tell he's fuming mad. she took a few steps back, stumbling over a little rock, then trembled as she said "why are you looking at me like that... isn't that what you want? I'll marry you..." her tears rolled down her frail face profusely and her cries muffling her words. he ignored her cries and reacted strongly. he pushed her against a hard wall and pinned her by the wall with his arm pressed against her neck.

"I hate that tone of yours. you are the one who is indebted to me, not the other way around. you don't order me, you don't speak down to me, I definitely do not owe you anything! so don't make it sound as though I needed you, cause I don't! I don't need anyone, not then, not now, not ever!"

Mirai is too stunned to speak for a while. it had been a long time since she was reprimanded by her parents and that prompted her to voice her injustice. "who are you to reprimand me?! even my parents do not do so!" she regretted saying.

"that's why you are spoilt! since you have offered yourself to me, then I'll discipline you in my own way! I will make this a scar in your life, a vivid reminder of the mistake you made!" 

Ryosuke immediately took her wrists and pulled her violently into her tentage, and threw her onto her linen. She shouted and screamed and as he jumped above her, restraining her onto the bed with his hands against her wrists. 

"I'll make you understand what is hardship if you haven't realised you are in one. I'll punish you on behalf of your father's pleadings to me!" 

"w--what are going to go" Mirai cried with the grip tightening, then it was like a lustful beast unleashed. He ripped off the top few buttons of her dress, exposing her neckline and cleavage. , he ignored her cries and lowered his head onto her bare skin, his lips bite her earlopes and made kisses down her revealing flesh, sending chills down her spine. She struggled, but his violence and strength made her weak and vulnerable. She surrendered; lying on the bed and giving up her body and entirely leaving it to fate. He d her s and was about to make intimate kisses along her neckline when her silent tears froze his heart.

He paused his heartbeat and looked into those fallen tears that rolled down coldly from her dying glances. He shut his eyes, grit his jaw and clenched his fist to calm his frustration and exploding anger. he leaped off from her body and ignored her tainted modesty with his back facing her confused eyes. She felt like she was immersed in a blockbuster movie, only to be left with a cliffhanger which kills her with her curiosity and yearning for more. She didn't know why it didn't feel as insulting as he first started the abuse, she was shocked that her heart didn't seem to hate it. he uttered his last hurtful words before ridding his own presence from the heavy room "if you could trust him so insensibly, even putting your family's lives in the backseat,...why couldn't you trust the other. listen, I sympathize not with you, but your parents and the whole of Shida Manor, cause your trust for Kamiki Ryunosuke has forsaken all their hopes placed on you. you're pathetic."

She continued to lay motionless on the bed with her exposed and her cold trickling tears, painfully self-reflecting on his accusations. though she couldn't understand who was the other she should have trusted, but how she has let down the people who put their hopes and stakes in her was downright true. she hasn't done anything to save her family, all she ever did was to pin all her hopes on the guy who turned his back against her, heartlessly. now that he has dumped her alone, there's really no one she could count on... except... Ryosuke Ryunosuke, the mysterious third prince of the royal family.

******

The fall of autumn came sooner than he thought. Things have changed. Relationships have shattered, love was broken, the weak has become weaker, the loners have become lonelier. Yes, the palace is capable of intensifying all of that.

It was no longer the shagged tentage, there was no longer the chilling wind that makes the surrounding lonely, instead the four walls of the majestic chamber sends a new ripple of fear and uncertainty that makes one unsettled and uneasy. Ryosuke sat in the balcony that overlooked the seemingly quiet city of Aoihoshi where grievances of each household were silent by the oppression of the almighty royals. his face has turned cold from the night breeze and the moon that hung high in the plain sky blatantly reminded him of the chilling moments of the 'exciting' week which meant a huge leap in his untold plan.. he wouldn't show his fear to anyone, he could only show it to the impartial moon who never backs away from him.

"all agenda for today are addressed, when would be the next court and what would the agenda be?" Kamiki asked in the courtroom of 20 highest ranked officials, including his wife, Lady Asuka Okamoto, 2nd prince Yuya, and Empress Umi Ryunosuke.

one of the official announced "next meeting would be a month from now, and the court will discuss the legitimate successor of the throne and the succession plans. majority of officials think it is time to come to a decision as the throne left behind by the late King Ryunosuke cannot be empty for too long."

"yes, I agree. if no one has an objection with our interim King, Prince Kamiki Ryunosuke, eldest son of my lord, then we have our most potential candidate to permanently fill the position. I would urge all officials to think through it carefully and not to yield to the dominant mindset," empress Umi said. she was satisfied when she saw all the nods of approval from her officials, except her second son Yuya whose face was grumpy and irritable. she felt sorry for him but her eldest son has the most potential to be King and a country could only have one. but never did she expect such an optimistic scene would be entirely ruined by an unannounced entrance by a person she and every other official, except Kamiki and Yuya,  haven't met in a decade. The change in him was so drastic,none of them could recognise at first sight so their reaction didn't come a surprise. Only Yuya, retained his cool, as he was the only one aware of this 'uninvited guest'

"Sorry to spoil the party, but I object to your successor~" he entered.

"Who are you, intruder?! How dare you interrupt the Empress?! and what rights do you have to object!" one official raised his voice with his stern eyes set upon the young man of great looks and an aura that stole all attention. They knew he wasn't simple, when he responded with a mocking undertone that undermined the prestige of the palace.

Ryosuke, single man, paced towards the center of the court with his heart pounding at a regular speed, smirked as he responded "I have all the rights to object...right, Kamiki Ryunosuke?" he turned to look at Kamiki whose face pales and heart beats irregularly in comparison. Kamiki was too shocked to respond, and that worries Empress Umi who couldn't take her eyes of the young man. She observed up and down, she knew she has not met him before, but she also felt she knew him personally. 

"Who are you, young man? report your identity" her curiosity finally got her asking. His immediate respond was a smirk that hung obnoxiously on his face. Unruly and daring as he could be, he paced towards the Empress, causing the guards to become a little more uptight but got suppressed by a gesture from the Empress herself. She indeed wanted a closer look of this man.

"I'm not at all surprise you couldn't recognise me..." he said that leaned forward and whispered into her ears, "I'm back, okasama...I hope you are missing me" he gave her a bright smile that made her limbs turned weak with fear crumbling her. He stood on the same level as the Empress and looked down upon all the subjects and the 2 princes, then bowed with politeness as if trained in palace forever...He proudly announced his name that shocked everyone in the palace and sent a shock wave with a warning that threatens to unveil the deepest, darkest secret hidden by the power holders.

"Ryosuke Ryunosuke!' he grinned, then continued "I gladly contest for the throne, as the third prince of Ryunosuke bloodline!" There was murmurs filling up the interior of the large courtroom, and one brave soul stood out to voice his confusion..

"but your highness, you are banished... technically you aren't eligible.. I have no intention to undermine you, your highness, I hope you understand. We're all happy to see your return, but we hope you could answer the question" the minister of finance questioned.

"ah, i do acknowledge your concern... let me explain myself better... Dear mother, my brothers and all the ministers present today, my return here, is not only to claim the rightful throne, but also... resolve that mysterious death of my father Akiyoshi Ryunosuke, which your men has proved to be incapable of investigating... Let me do the honours of unraveling the truth behind the chilling assasination, and then you will not be asking yourself why my banishment can be overwritten. You will at that point that there's no one else more suited to take over my father's position... Next court meeting, I believe, one month from now, would be the day I enlighten every single one of you, so I wish for you welcoming and your kind hospitality at least for now...Is that okay, okasama? aniki?" Ryosuke once again pry into the hearts of the weakening souls with his intimidating stare.

"of course, my son. Welcome home. And i do look forward to the healthy competition and your discovery into the death inquiry of your father's tragic death," Empress Umi forced a smile upon her tired face. Ryosuke responded with a kind smile while his eyes noticed the clenched fist of Kamiki and the silently giggling Yuya. "things are gonna be really fun from now. I'll make you pay back everything you took away from me" Ryosuke thought as he exchange hostile glances with his eldest brother...

"I'll be happy to take on the challenge...but, otoutou, you do know that one criteria to take the throne is that you are married. I am, but you are not..." Kamiki signalled to his wife, Lady Asuka Okamoto who rushed by his side. She found charm in the third prince but quickly restrained her lust to support her husband, but his actions only made it difficult to calm her heart, "nice to meet you, my lady..." Ryosuke politely lifted her elegant hand and dropped a light kiss upon it. She blushed and that infuriated Kamiki. Ryosuke smirked at Kamiki's raging fire brewing within, then decided to incite him further by dropping the bomb "I'm sorry for not saying earlier, I am married...Allow me to bring her in..." Everyone looked towards the entrance of the court hall. A poised lady, properly dolled up for the occasion, walked in with her head lowered like a disempowered lady afraid to face the curious crowd. 

"Let me do the proper introduction" Ryosuke stretched out his arm to receive her legitimate wife who he wedded only 2 weeks prior to this occasion. "Shida Mirai, only daughter of the Shida Abi, lady of Shida Manor"

Kamiki's eyes widdened when she raised her head. Their eyes met, but she quickly shifted her gaze away. Kamiki was too puzzled by the surprise, he always thought mirai would remain loyal to him and would never turn sides from him. He now feared the power that the old Shida Abi has left for her daughter, including the secret army which he could never locate no matter how much he tried to pry the information from him. Still, to hide his nervousness, he laughed it off with an undertone of mockery.

"You do know, Shida Manor is arrested for treason and has been executed recently. we have put her daughter, Shida Mirai a fugitive, and that makes you an accomplice isn't it?"

"w-what? they are executed? my father, my mother..." Mirai took a few steps forward to ask Kamiki

"they have admitted to the assasination...so everybody and you are no exception"  Kamiki said without his gaze wavering. Mirai's eyes welled up with tears such that she has forgotten she has walked right into the tiger's lair. "arrest her..."

Ryosuke stood nearer to her and raised his voice "ah, that's really unbecoming of a prince due for succession. Ignoring my presence, bypass me and make an outright arrest of my wife before my face. Is that the barbaric practice of the royal family. I have only been gone from the rules of the majestic palace for a decade, how could you have forgotten the rules before me, aniki... minister of law, I appreciate your clarification... can my wife be charged, arrested and executed?"

The minister of law didn't want to offend Kamiki, but there was no way he could avoid a question directed at his expertise. a wrong answer will only put him to shame in front of the other ministers.

"I am sorry, your highness" the minister faced Kamiki and bowed, "Shida Mirai cannot be touched. Upon marriage with any of the royal bloodline, only with the approval of her husband can she be held responsible for her family's charges. Upon marriage, her life belongs to her husband and not her family, hence whatever wrong committed by her family will not be recorded in hers."

Mirai was too shakened to be involved in the commotion revolving her. She was too traumatised to learn about her parents and the death of her entire family of guards, maidens and caretakers. She has been reminded of how she's the only hope for the Shida Manor, but she never thought it would become literal. 

Kamiki gritted his teeth and was almost on the verge of plunging forward, if not interrupted by the Empress. "let's cease the court for today. Guards, prepare the third building for the returned prince and his followers. In any case, Ryosuke, please make yourself at home and we look forward to the next month"

"I sure will make myself at home. Thank you okasama," Ryosuke smirked at Kamiki once more than took Mirai's frozen hand and exited the court. He led her forward and never turned to look at her as he knew she would not be able to face anyone or anything for now. He just walked her forward to where he remembered the third building was. but only if the journey was smooth and uninterrupted by the worst of the kind. 

"Ryosuke..!" Kamiki caught up with Lady Asuka close behind. "I am clearly surprised by your marriage, so pardon me for my rudeness just now"

"I am sure you are... but rushing up to me to say this, isn't your practice.. what other business do you wanna convey"

"I am appalled at how you rather marry someone like her, who has once thrown herself shamely to me, and one who has such tainted records..." Kamiki mocked.

Mirai still didn't respond, even with such unforgivable insult that put her down entirely. Ryosuke looked at her and felt his heart tightened, feeling sorry for her.

"I really don't understand your lack of confidence." ryosuke tactfully responded. "you do feel so inferior about your wife"

"huh? what are you talking about? I am saying about you, not me"

"I know. and that's my answer to you. your statements only show how mentally weak you are and how disgraceful you feel your wife is," Ryosuke grinned, while Kamiki's rage was rising over the roof. Ryosuke shifted his gaze to Asuka and gave him a softening smile "your beautiful wife needs your praises, not your weakness." Amid her anger, she blushed once again.

"I will take my leave now," Ryosuke pulled Mirai forward.

"Wait," Asuka spoke this time. "As the first lady of the royal family, I will take care of my Mirai-san, as my own sister" Asuka said to the distracted Mirai who hasn't spoke a word since the court.

Ryosuke thought she wouldn't reply, but she did, and it wasn't cracking. It was with certainty she said "Thank you." then she bowed with utmost politeness. He saw a drop of tear escaped and fell onto the stone ground. He knew she couldn't take the stress anymore, so he took her hands firmly this time and left without a second word. He led her across corridors, up the stairs, and with the guidance of a lowly servant, he entered the biggest chamber in the entire building which now belonged to him.

He withdrew his sword and pointed it against the neck of the frightened servant. "I'm sorry for resorting to this method. I am not sure to trust you, but i need you to pass a message to someone.. could you do that?"

"Y-yes...."

Ryosuke handed a letter to the servant,"pass this to the tall guy at the gate."

"I w-will..."

"Thank you," Ryosuke helped straighted his clothes and signalled him to go. Right after he shut the door, he turned around and saw Mirai still stood motionless where he left her earlier. He worries her at this state where it seemed her soul left her body. Since his assault to her that night, he hasn't looked at her straight in the face or touched her, not even during their marriage. He has only showed his intolerance and his disinterest for her during this period, although her reaction towards him has become oddly softer. Perhaps, she has really as she said, acceded to fate, so he didn't care more.

"you knew about it...you knew it all along...that my parents, my family, the whole manor, have been... have been executed right?" she said with a suppressed tone, as if she could burst out in tears sooner.

Ryosuke remained silent, as he usually will, towards her questions. but the reason this time was not to make her feel any worst. He thought silence now would serve the best remedy for her suffocating heart.

"otousama! okasama!!!! NANDE.... I LET YOU ALL DIE IN VAIN... I AM USELESS! I COULD HAVE SAVED YOU EARLIER, BUT MY STUBBORNESS GOT ALL OF YOU KILLED... WHY DON'T YOU ALL TAKE ME WITH YOU?! WHY DO YOU LEAVE ME ALONE IN THIS WORLD! KAMIKI, WHY WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TREAT ME LIKE THIS! WHY MUST YOU TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME!!!!!" Mirai finally let go of all her emotions and cried bitterly. Streams of tears flowed profusely out of her eyes and there was no stopping to it. She dropped to her knees, luckily Ryosuke caught her from behind. He went in front of her and cupped her shoulders to secure her in place, and said with his kindest tone to her yet.

"transcend your sadness to vengence, and only then you can be strong to defeat those people who disregarded your presence and stained the name of your family. In this world, there's no one anyone could depend on. it is always everyone for themselves. So being alone, should not be a stumbling block. Being independent, being rid of all burdens, is then the best way for a comeback. Do you understand, Shida Mirai?"

Mirai fell back into silent cries and looked into Ryosuke's eyes as though she has alot to say. Ryosuke was perplexed when he exchanged the long glance with her as he could not understand what that gaze meant. "I'm sorry, A..." then her apology, only added to more questions in his confused mind. Before she could complete her questions, she fainted in his arms.

"Mirai!"  

Within closed doors, he wrapped her tightly in his arms and left a heartfelt peck upon her forehead. He wished he could give her energy to be strong, but he couldn't do so, unless he could one day dissipitate the hatred for her.

He could still recall her sorrowful pleading day and night to see the corpse of the 100 people, including Shida Abi and his wife, who have fallen to the treacherous hands of the independent investigation.

"please!!! Let me see them...Let me see them, please!!!!" she kneeled down till her kneecap was bruised and red. She refused to stand up, she refused to stop begging, even until her voice was coarse and sore she continued her pleas.

He didn't submit to her request, he couldn't, not because he did not want to, but because he couldn't bear to do it to a girl on the verge of depression. He saw the corpses, he could almost picture their dying scene. Battered body, whipped to their bones, fingernails plugged, eyes gorged, tongues ripped, all these torture just to get them not to admit and since they won't, they silenced them. No matter how much he hated her, he couldn't hurt her any further. This was the only protection he could give at this point.

Even if so, there was a limit to his kindness. He assigned her personal chamber beside him, and ordered Ayame and Daiki to stay with her all time round. He felt that if he kept her by his side, he wouldn't be able to keep to his own goals.

Knock Knock "It's me, Yuto"

"come in..." Ryosuke said, and Yuto entered with footsteps as light as dragonflies dapping on the surface of a pond. The sensitive Ryosuke could detect his shinobi's approach almost instantly.

"Your lady, she's getting weaker by the day. She fainted again today, according to Ayame. The physician said she needs to start feeding or her body wouldn't be able to take the fatigue that is taking a toll on her health. Ryosuke, you really wouldn't see her? Even once would help... I heard she has been crying your name"

"ridiculous. why would he call my name? it's probably only Kamiki who could really pull her back. me, she only wants me to bring her to those corpses."

"Ryosuke..."

"I'll go when I think I want to see her pathetic state. so don't persuade me. what else do you have to report"

"could I request to speak to you casually... as friends? you said we could..." Yuto said with his head lowered as if afraid of being rejected. Ryosuke looked at him with utmost concern. He noticed the many feelings written on his shinobi's face that he has neglected for a while. he has been harsh to him these days, and for some time, he hasn't been talking to him, as a friend.

"sit down..."Ryosuke signalled him the seat beside him and he gladly took it. Yuto smiled quietly to himself. 

"that makes you so happy?" Ryosuke chuckled.

"yes...it does" Yuto looked at his master with full of smiles.

"You're really silly sometimes, Yuto" Ryosuke giggled.

"that's why you love me so much right"

"that's disgusting, Yuto..."

"but Ryosuke, would you really not be able to overlook what happened with her? she really pains my heart sometimes."

"you are really becoming attached to them... but I don't blame you, you haven't been through what I have, you haven't seen her the way I did. I could still remember the disgusting angel face she showed me and those fake words she said."

"but I think she has woken up from his mistakes. she puts so much blame on herself so everything that happened, even those which were clearly not her fault. I'm really scared she will collapse, and forgive me for saying, I don't want you to regret then"

"I won't allow her to collapse before me. frankly, Yuto, I do have times which I thought I could forgive her and let it go, but then I will ask myself, do I really want to distract myself with this now. and if I do end up falling for her again or she falls for me, it is the more I must restrain myself cause you know how the end will be, isn't it."

"Ryosuke, is there other ways we could change the end? I...really don't want that to happen."

"Yuto, we discussed it many times. and since we are at this topic now, I might as well remind you of your oath. I know the shinobi rule of thumb is to swear their life to their master. unlike other shinobi, I have made you swore that when my plan succeeds, your life will not terminate but your new life begins. you remember that do you?

"you know too that a shinobi sticks to his vow to his master and will never forget right. as much as I wanted to forget it, I am bounded to what you made me swear before you."

"why does it sound like you are unhappy with the arrangement...? you are really an unusual shinobi who doesn't want freedom" Ryosuke teased.

"you are also an unusual master who craft such weird vows."

"well, that makes us a complementary pair ne. I am glad I met you a decade ago..."

"yeah, and I still remember that fat boy who can't even save himself but stupidly tried to protect me from that old hag who beat the living daylight out of me. you didn't even get the picture right before you in. it's so funny when you realised I was that old hag's shinobi..."

"not forgetting, you have all the ability to fight back. I only made things worst..." Ryosuke laughed as he said.

"yeah...you did mess up, but in a good way. cause it wasn't for you, he wouldn't dump me, and Yamaguchi-san wouldn't be able to recruit me as a shinobi for you. come to think of it, my life could have ended the day my service to the old hag was terminated. so you saved my life"

"you saved me many times too. anyway Yuto, I'm sorry I have been pretty harsh to you these days."

"I understand. I acted against your orders, I deserved that little reprimanding. if it was the old hag, I would have been beaten to death." the two broke out in laughter, and Yuto was glad he could cheer his master up.

"Ryosuke, I always face a conflict, to hope for the plan to end soon or to hope it gets delayed..."

"I want it to end, so I hope you will too. it's getting really tiring. a decade of agony was enough."

"I will do as you say."

"thanks Yuto... there's one more thing I wish you could fulfill for me when our plan wraps up. I would only trust you on this, could you promise me?"

Yuto raised his brows and promised him with caution after his successful attempt in tricking him previously.

when Yuto exits his chamber that night, he stole another peek before he closed the door. he saw the twilight casting a ray of dim light against his back, making him looked extremely tired and lonely. it has been so since he first met him, and it only got worst, the only thing which never changed was his heart for others. he may have shut everyone out of his compassion, being hostile and cold to everyone, but he silently take their welfare into consideration. Mirai, was no exception. it was only if she knew all of it..

Separated by a thick wall, Mirai sat herself in a corner of her silky bed and crouched like an emo child. she tugged her knees close to her body and with her hands tightly clenching something. she placed the object, enclosed within her fist and brought it onto her lips, giving her a light kiss that kept her heart beating. since she found it in her tentage, she hasn't let it out of her sight. she opened her palm, revealing a friendship band made of multi colored threads. there was only one in the world, with the word "Ai" sewn on it. she placed her fist with the band against his heart and shut his eyes as he recalled Ayame and Daiki's conversation with her the last few nights in the tentage before she packed up for the palace. 

that night, like any other nights, unlike other wedded couples, she was left alone in her tentage. he never visits her, he never looks at her since that day he tried to her. even during the marriage, he was cold to her.

"My lady, is there anything you need us to get?" both Ayame and Daiki said in unison.

"shh, shut the tentage and come nearer" she hinted. "shh" she gestured, making them mindful that whatever that is to be conveyed maybe private and confidential. 

"this..." she showed the band to her 2 companions.

Ayame put it on her hand and observed it with Daiki, and was both staring at the word 'Ai"

Daiki was first to respond, "this Ai is referring to... that boy in your school, your once close friend isn't it?" although Ayame wasn't her maiden until after her schooling days, she recalled the sad story of a broken friendship Mirai told her not too long ago

"yes, I'm sure this is his. it can't be wrong cause I made it personally for him that time"

"where did you find this?" Daiki asked urgently.

"this is the problem. I found it under my bed." 

everyone was shell-shocked when they heard this. both Ayame and Daiki couldn't believe their ears. "you mean this bed?"

"yes... it's as crazy as it sounds, I think Ai-kun is here in this camp!"

"how can it be? it's too coincidental isn't it? Ai-kun, if he's here, he should be someone of a lower hierarchy."

"I think he might be a servant here...And if he's someone here, then I'm sure those guys would know...Daiki, help me out"

"you want me to ask Yuto or even Ryosuke-sama about this?" Daiki's eyes widened, not because he wasn't willing to but "Mirai, are you sincere about reuniting with Ai?"

"I'm not saying I wanna reunite with him, but I just wanna know how he's doing... it is a decade since I last heard of him. he left school and vanished into thin air. it's natural to be curious," Mirai explained frantically.

"okay okay. I'll ask around. but since it's under your bed, it's likely he has assess to your room, then this narrows down our search. his features should make it easy to find" Daiki replied.

"but I don't recall seeing any fat boy amongst those who enters this tentage" Ayame tried to recall. there shouldn't be anyone who could walk in without Ayame knowing, but still she couldn't be entirely sure.

"try the cooks too. I am not surprised if Ai becomes a cook"

"okay I will. but you have to promise me that you take care of yourself. the road forward will be bumpy, especially now that you are Ryosuke Ryunosuke's wife. if you don't appease him, only you would suffer," Daiki reminded sternly.

"I will..." Mirai answered.

...Mirai was so deep in her thoughts, seeking comfort in that little memorabilia left from her past to distract her from the sudden death of her entire household. making things worst is her struggle between hatred and yearnings for her long lost friend she realised was right here by her side. she was so engrossed in her many dilemmas and internal struggles that she didnt hear Ayame enter.

"you have to eat... you are too weak," Ayame held a bowl of porridge before her.

"I don't have the appetite, Ayame..." she shoved it away.

"if Ryosuke-sama was to see you like this, he won't be happy too," Ayame tried to convince her to eat.

"he wouldn't see me, isn't it. no matter how much you guys have asked him to pop by, he wouldn't. so whatever happens to me, he wouldn't care" Mirai said as tears welled up in her eyes all over again.

"my lady," Ayame brushed the fallen tears from her master's eyes then gave her a sisterly hug that temporarily warm her master's heart. "you wanted to see Ryosuke-sama because you have forgiven what he did 10 years ago right"

"no I haven't... I will not forgive what he did to me. it just shows how despicable a person he is. just to ruin my relationship with Kamiki, he did such underhanded stuff. and I treated him as my best friend and I trusted him," Ayame realised a change in her tone, hence making a strong assertion.

"but Mirai-sama, from what I see, you are not too hard on him anymore. your tone just now was softer than when you first recounted. your hatred has dwindled because you knew you were partly wrong when you didn't believe him when he told you his true identity decade ago right"

ever since Daiki told him the owner of the band was none other than Ryosuke, Mirai did feel remorse over not believing Ai when he said he was the third prince. she kept thinking if things would be different if she has believed in him then.

She was also stunned at how one person could change so drastically from top to bottom, from inside out, that there was truly no way anyone could have recognized that fat, unattractive, clumsy, socially awkward Ai-kun has metamorphosised into the ually alluring 'woman-killer' with deadly charms, highly skilled swordsman with refined archery and swift movements, Ryosuke Ryunosuke. she pondered what has happened in that 10 years to have led him to such drastic change. then everytime she thought of this missing decade of memories, she would remember those rumours that the third prince (whom she didnt knew was Ai) was banished from his homeland for ually harassing a visiting princess from a foreign land. All of these befalling on one person, she thought how hard would it have been for him during this period.

"...I apologise for saying, he didn't lie about his identity when he told you 10 years ago, could it be possible you have wronged him about the incident too...?" Ayame has said her greatest fears that perhaps she has really wronged him. maybe he has kept her secret safely in his heart, maybe he hasn't done anything she asserted to have hurt her. if this is so, she was one of the many have pushed him to the boundaries and created this heartless man, and killed that compassionate, innocent boy who always gave a smile no matter how bad the day was or how terrible people around treated him.

"do you think I have wronged him, Ayame?" Mirai looked up at Ayame, earnestly looking for an answer.

"I'm sorry for saying this now, my lady. when you stabbed him on the hand that night, he did tell me something...then I didn't know he was that boy you hated"

"what did he say?"

"it sounded like he really didn't do any of the stuff you accused him of. it doesn't sound like he's lying to me cause I'm sure he knows I don't know who he is referring to"

"Ayame, I'm really scared... if I have misunderstood him, then I might have caused great hurt to him during that time... whatever I do to make up to him, he'll not forgive me so easily. in fact, I think he's here to punish me..."

"My lady, i would not deny that Ryosuke-sama seemed very harsh to you, but deep down, he's very kind hearted. he wouldn't hurt you, I'm sure."

"keeping me by his side, yet ignoring me if not treat me harshly as if I was worst than a stranger, is his way of punishing me, Ayame. he will not treat any of you the way he does to me, because I pushed him to hell" Mirai weeped sadly that Ayame clenched her heart silently. the latter remembered the sad gaze of Ryosuke when he recounted his childhood friend, and was sure that was not hatred but regrets. what could she do to help the couple put their past away, she knew it wouldn't be easy, cause the kind of harm inflicted on the young master will not be unwritten simply.

however, a new problem arise before they could consider any others.

knock knock "I have words from Lady Asuka"

it was rare to hear visitors from the other buildings. Since she moved in over a week ago, she hasn't got anyone who came to her chamber except Daiki, Ayame and occasionally Yuto. Mirai didn't know exactly how to react since she wasn't properly trained in palace protocols, or at least she didn't pay attention during her lessons on this then. 

"Ayame, what should I do?" Mirai panicked as she struggled to come down from her bed with her weakening health.

"don't worry, just do as you would normally. I'm here" Ayame held her master by her arms. Mirai nodded though trembling badly.

"c-come in..." Mirai called out.

there were one maiden and 2 build guards. something wasn't right, it wasn't just a mere conveyance of messages or greetings from Lady Asuka. they came with an agenda, and they were extremely hostile. even the maiden was pulling a poker face.

"sorry Lady Mirai for barged in. Lady Asuka would like to see you. urgently. please come with us" the maiden said with a stern tone. Mirai felt uneasy and was unwilling to proceed with them and Ayame saw her hesitant right away

"I'm so sorry, my lady is not feeling well. could she visit Lady Asuka another day," Ayame asked politely but the reaction she got was enough to confirm her fears. they ignored her and the two guards went forth to grab Mirai by her arms.

"let go... let go!!" they stuffed with a towel and covered her face with a bag, then dragged her out the room and across corridors.

"Mirai!!!!" Ayame shouted but she could only watch helplessly as her lady got taken away like a convict. Ayame frantically searched for Ryosuke as he's the only one capable of breaking through the defense. "Ryosuke-sama!!!... Ryosuke-sama, where are you? Yuto-sama!!! Daiki!!! Yamaguchi-sama!" however, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't find him, except get herself in a deep mess.

"ah we forgot about you, Ayame," Lady Asuka's maiden announced.

"we have received tip offs that you have not taken care of your lady. her health condition has detoriated and being her only maiden, how could you be spared from your negligence. as the head of maidens, I have to sternly discipline you. Prince Ryosuke must have been magnanimous and forgiving, but we need to uphold the discipline among the maidens... tie her up!" 

in the middle of the field, under the blazing hot son, Ayame was stripped to her bare skin and placed on legendary horse-torture tool where she sat on a sharp tip which cuts her private part and send excruciating sharp pain up her private hole. she couldn't sit as her weight congregated in the middle would bring greater pain. her trembling thighs could only support her weight so long and making things worse is the thick whips which come breaking her exposed skin. her hands were bonded and was sternly instructed above her painful cries "put your hands above your head, if you dare put it down, we'll use a thicker whip!" she couldn't balance with her hands above, the pain from the falling whips made her fall on the sharp edge of the horse-torture tool. "Ahhhhh!!! itaiiii!" her overweight issue only made the pain at her bottom more unbearable than others who have suffered under this old torture tool of the ancient palace used against defiant maidens.

it was even more embarrassing when the onlookers increased, and some maidens were even forced to watch the torture of the helpless Ayame whose screams rattle through the many palace buildings. worst, the guards who became intolerant of her cries came forth and pressed her down further on the sharp point. "no~noooo" it sends an involuntary arousal, wetting her hole where liquid trickled slowly down her thighs. there were laughters from the guards, but it wasn't the embarrassment that was her prime concern, it was the pain from all over that was reaping her apart.

"AAaaaaaaahhhhhhhh" she cried harder.

Swish.... an arrow swiftly flew from afar and cut throw the middle of the guard's palm. Ayame was too disheveled to look where it came from, but the voice was enough to make her relief.

"How dare you!!!" Ryosuke galloped his horse while drawing his sword, pointing right at the maiden who stood in a commanding position. "the orders are made through you, so I shall slit your throat and leave you bleeding to death!"

"noo, please, I'm just disciplining the maiden who failed her duties" the head maiden kneeled down pleading with tears.

"this maiden belongs to me! if she has failed her duties, then i failed my duties... do you want to punish me too?!" Ryosuke pressed the blade against with his eyes fiercely looking into hers.

"I wouldn't dare. please forgive me~"

Ryosuke lowered his gaze and stared at her fingers. in a blink of an eye, he waved his sword and 2 of her fingers was slashed off mercilessly, with blood dripping profusely and screams that were louder than Ayame's "Ahhhhhh!" the people around gasped in fear, including the guards. "I believe those fingers are used to order your guards, and that shall be a warning to all of you before you touch my people!"

The guards quickly kneeled to appease the raging prince, while some maidens were mesmerized by the prince who saved the damsel in distress.

Yuto who caught up soon after, took over the scene, questioning the maiden further "whose orders are you acting on?!!!" 

"it's ... it's lady Asuka's..." she stammered while trying to stop her bleeding hands. Ryosuke took that into heart but shoved it at the back of his mind as he rushed beside Ayame. He carried her carefully from the tool and tugged her grotesque body in his wide spread arms. He removed his outer coat and covered her body. 

"Ayame... you're safe now" he spoke softly.

Her eyes flickered opened with tears still trapped at the corner of her eyes. She struggled to speak, "R-Ryosuke-sama... I'm so dirty, ple-ease don't dirty yourself...."

"I don't want to hear this useless words. you're in a bad state, we have to get you treated. can you stand up?" Ryosuke asked. Ayame was so touched with his gentleness and felt her heart thumping fast with his radiating warmth that cushioned her tormenting wounds. however, she 
quickly remembered another issue that was brewing, "R-Ryosuke-sama, y-you have to save her... t-they took her away..."

"Mirai?!!" Ryosuke's face pales as soon as he got the picture. they have targeted her - to rid her, such that she ceases to be his legitimate wife. witnessing the grotesque that they have inflicted on Ayame, Ryosuke exchanged a perplexed glance with Yuto, and they both were worried of the state Mirai would be in.