Prologue

The Midnight Walkers

A woman takes up a two years old girl from the baby bed, her hands are in a pair of rubber gloves; she puts the little girl into a basket quickly as if she is throwing the rubbish away. A man comes up from behind, the woman turns and looks at him, looking rather uncomfortable.
"We have no choice, we have to do this." The man says in a hush voice, hand patting on the woman's shoulder to comfort her.
"I know, I'm just worried about what would the others say." The woman looks at the little girl in the basket in disgust, then she takes a look at the man, together they take up the basket and begin to move to the door of the house in the midnight.
"Mommy, Daddy, where are you going?" Just when they are at the door of the house, another girl of seven in pajamas comes from behind rubbing her eyes. "And where is little Josephine?"
"Oh go back to sleep Jackie darling." The woman walks to the girl and comforts her. "We are taking Josephine to a...... special hospital."
"Is she sick?" Jackie sounds worried, though she is being pushed by her mom back into her room.
"Yes she is," The woman says finally after putting Jackie in bed. "Very very sick."
The woman checks on her daughter once again before she leaves, then the couple leaves the house and drives away from home in the dark.

The couple walk out in the dark, with the dim light of the street lamps they look for the church in the downtown. They put down the basket on top of the steps just in front of the main gate, without looking back they turn and leave.
Just then the door from behind opens up, the creaking sound of the old wooden door makes them jump.
"Well, you have left us a present, but without a note." The couple turn, the father of the church holds up the basket, smiling kindly just like you would see him do so every sunday. "Please come in, as this little girl is a.... special case than other kids left in front of our door."
"How....How did you know?" In daze, the man asks.
"We have some special kids staying with me here," A girl of about ten comes up from behind. "Just like your little daughter here." He looks at the basket.
"She is not our daughter, she is a freak." The woman reacts rather aggressively, the girl from behind the father shifts uncomfortably.
"Welll shame, if it's not Nina who told me about two people approaching with a superpower baby, I wouldn't have the pleasure to meet you two." The father pats the little girl. "Thank you so much, I think you should go to bed now Nina." The little girl runs back without saying a word. The couple look at each other in odd silence.
"Please come in, I would take in this little girl, but I'd just love to have a brief conversation with you two," he pauses, "Mr and Mrs?"
"Liu." The man clears his voice, the couple take steps forward to follow the father into the church. 
"Very well Mr and Mrs Liu." The father closes the door from behind and leads them into the main hall, candles of red and white lit up the hall dimly so it doesn't look too dark at all.
The father puts down the basket on a bench next to him, then he turns and faces the couple who now are looking rather awkward.
"So what is this girl's power?" He asks. Nina woke him up just a few minutes ago, told him that she has sensed a superpower kid coming close to the church, with two other human.
"Electricity, father, she would gives out the current on every part of her skin, we couldn't touch her, not without the rubber gloves." The woman explains. "As she grows, the current becomes stronger, and we are afraid this would turn to be a disaster."
"She shouldn't have been born in the first place." The man says coolly. Then as if little Josephine heard this, she wakes and cries, the couple are stunned and does not know how to respond.
The father reaches out his hands, just then the woman warns him, "Don't, she would send those current and shock you." The father turns and stops awhile, thinking; then he turns to the side and asks the nun, who is being quiet all the time since they have arrived. "Sister, would you please help me to wake Henry and bring him here? Thank you so much." The nun just nods and leaves without saying a word.
The three of them stays in silence, with just the crying voice of Josephine, she is not even calling anyone, just crying.
"So what is her name?" The father asks finally, looking pitifully down at her.
"Josephine," The man answers. "Josephine Liu."
"Josephine." The father reapeats the name and looks at Josephine gently.
"Look father, I know what you're going to tell us, to convince us not to give up her. But we have no choice, we couldn't just take her in and keep her in our house, we have another girl, and Josephine, she would be a threat to all of us." The woman says, annoyed by the loud crying voice of the baby.
"I see so you are determined about this decision." The father looks at the couple, his usual gentleness loss in his eyes.
"Father?" The door from behind cracks open, the nun brings back a little boy with her, who calls the father with his sleepy voice.
"Henry, there you are." The father goes over there quickly and hugs him, bringing him over to the basket. "I need your help. As you can tell this little girl won't stop crying, so you think you could calm her down a little bit?"
The boy who is called Henry looks a little bit uncertained, then he looks at the violin the nun just hands to him and says to the father, "Is she going to join our family?"
"Indeed Henry, yes." The father nods to him. "She is Josephine."
Henry nods, then he takes up the violin and begins to play; you could tell there are notes gone wrong while he plays, though there's a weird sense of calmness flowing through within the hall while listening to him play, and Josephine stops crying gradually and goes back to her sleep.
"Wh-what have you done to her?" The man asks in shock, when Henry stops playing and only then he realizes there's somethin unusual about this boy. "Freaks..... it's full of freaks here......"
Henry only packs up his violin quietly, as if he doesn't heard him saying this.
"Say your goodbyes Mr and Mrs Liu, I hope you won't regret your choice today." The father's eyes now looks cold.
"We won't." Mrs Liu promises and together they walk out of the door without once looking back.

"I'm so sorry Henry." The father hugs Henry and kisses him in the forehead, now that he is carrying the basket and walks with Henry back into his room. He apologizes, only he knows how sorry he is to have little Henry to hear those hurtful comments.
"For waking me up in the midnight father?" Little Henry flashes him a cute smile. "Just let me wake up a little late tomorrow and I'll be fine." He rubs his eyes, father smiles at him and promises he would tell the nuns to let him sleep through the first class tomorrow.
"Can I see her?" Henry asks, looking at the basket. "Josephine?"
"I think she will need a new name. But yes you can, just don't wake her and don't touch her ok?" The father unfolds the blanket to reveal the sleeping little girl. "What do you think we should name her Henry?"
Henry looks at the far side of the church, the glowing stones on the celling lights up more as the dawn comes in.
"Amber, just like those sparkling stones, her skin sparkles too." Henry says naively.
The father looks down at her, whose skin sparkles as the electrcity runs through her skin from time totime; then he puts a hand on Henry's head and ruffles his hair. "It's a good name Henry, we shall call her Amber then."
"So I've neamd her! Yeah!" Henry jumps up and down happily, the father smiles.
"I think you should really sleep now Henry."
"Goodnight father." He then turns and puts a hand on the basket. 
Goodnight Amber."