2/2

Somewhere in the Grey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is the final part. I hope you enjoy it. :)

I am going to university today, so I won't be updating anything for a while. 

“Look, about last night. I am so sorry, I don’t know what came over me, but it was wrong. I mean, I have a boyfriend. I don’t want to give you the wrong idea, let’s just focus on the project for today and forget about what happened yesterday.” Kyuhyun rambled when he knocked on Jongwoon’s door the next morning.

“What are you even talking about?” Jongwoon smiled, winking. Kyuhyun smiled back with appreciation before letting himself in.

“So I have been thinking about questions that I need to include in the questionnaire. I thought about having things like current income with approximate values and number of siblings and such, is there anything you think I can add?”

“Hmm, how about whether they are single, in a relationship, married?” Kyuhyun nodded writing it down on his laptop as Jongwoon continued to copy another one of his paintings in black and white.

“I just finished this painting, Kyuhyun hyung, what do you think?” Jongwoon asked after a couple of hours.

“Jongwoon ah, this is amazing. Do you mind if I can take a picture of this so I can add this into my dissertation? It will give me the opportunity to write about your perspective of Greyscale.” Jongwoon nodded and handed his camera over to the older male. “If you just email the pictures to me, then I can add it in. Oh and before I forget, Sungmin hyung is having a leaving party before he goes to China. He wants you to go because he noticed that we have been spending lots of time together. There will be alcohol, but don’t worry, I won’t be drinking. I will look after you and you can always leave early.”

“Sure, it will be nice meeting your friends anyway.”

“Great, I will pick you up on Thursday at seven. I have to go now, Sungmin wants to go to the cinema tonight. Apparently there is a reshowing of Back to the Future and he wants to see it.” Kyuhyun stood up and put his laptop in his bag.

“Alright, I will see you then.” Jongwoon smiled, waving to Kyuhyun before walking back to his artwork. He finally had the courage to apply to study art. He had the belief that he could achieve so much even with having lost the colour in his vision.

 

 

Jongwoon was having a panic. It was precisely 6.30pm and he had no idea what to wear. Kyuhyun was going to be at his house in thirty minutes and at this moment in time, it seemed as if he was going to be going to the party in just a pair of boxers. Did he have to wear a suit? Or could he get away with just wearing casual clothing? He could go smart casual, wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt. Yes, that could work. Jongwoon rushed to his closet, pulling out a pair of skinny jeans to which he assumed was navy in colour and a shirt. He put on the clothes and stared at his reflection in the mirror before putting his thumbs up in approval.

The doorbell rang, and Jongwoon gulped and walked to the door. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw Kyuhyun standing at the door wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. “Are you ready?” Jongwoon nodded and closed the door behind him, following the older man to the car.

The drive didn’t take too long, probably ten minutes before approaching a large house. Jongwoon could already hear the music coming from the building as he followed Kyuhyun to the front door. The older male opened the door and showed him to the living room where everyone was stood up in a small circle, chatting. “Guys, this is Jongwoon, he has been helping me with my project over the past few weeks. Sungmin hyung wanted me to bring him along.”

“I guess it is time to get the party started!” One of the men shouted, turning up the volume and handing a bottle of alcohol to Jongwoon. He accepted the drink and took a sip from it. He found it quite hard to join in any of the conversations and found himself standing on the side of the room most of the night.

He felt a hand grab his arm and he lets himself get pulled by the unknown person to one of the smaller bedrooms. “You don’t know me, but I am Sungmin, Kyuhyun’s boyfriend.” Jongwoon stared at the male. If he could describe Sungmin in one word, he would have used the word beautiful. Sungmin had a light, straight hair and somewhat resembled a rabbit. Any person would die to have his looks. He knew it was a big deal since Jongwoon could only see in black and white now. ”I am happy that you are willing to help him in his final year project, I mean, he can’t stop talking about how well his project is going. I really am happy, but I am also very concerned. I am worried about what you are doing with Kyuhyun. Are you seducing him? He doesn’t stop talking about you either.”

“Sungmin hyung, I am honestly not seducing Kyuhyun. I only want to help him with his project. I felt awful because I spilt coffee the first time I met him and it got all over his work and so I offered to help him. There is nothing going on between us, I promise.” Jongwoon explained, pulling his arm back slightly from Sungmin’s grip.

“Don’t call me hyung, you don’t even know me. But alright, if you say so, but even though I will be gone in another country doesn’t mean you can pounce on him, alright?” Sungmin snarled before walking away towards the living room. Jongwoon breathed heavily, regaining his composure before stepping out of the room and walking to the front door. He had had enough and was ready to go home.

“Hey, Jongwoon ah, where are you going?” Jongwoon turned to see Kyuhyun smiling at him with a clear liquid in his hand.

“I am going home, I am feeling a bit tired and I think I want to finish my painting tomorrow.” Jongwoon opened the door, letting the cold air hit his skin.

“I can take you home, Jongwoon ah, the party is getting a little bit boring anyway. I think they are getting to the stage where they are getting a bit too drunk and I don’t particularly want to be there to look after them if they chunder.” Kyuhyun laughed, walking behind Jongwoon.

“Kyuhyun hyung, I think you should stay. You are the person who is studying medicine so you should be the one looking after them. Am I not correct?”

Kyuhyun sighed with a sarcastic disapproving look. “Fine! I will stay, but call me when you get home so that I know that you are safe. I will see you again some other time, alright?” Jongwoon nodded before walking down the driveway, finally letting the tears that he was holding fall down his cheeks silently.

 

 

Jongwoon had been working on his painting for around three hours when his phone went off. “Kyuhyun hyung? What’s up? Why are you calling?”

“H-he has gone. He has left me behind to go to China.” Jongwoon could hear Kyuhyun sobbing across the phone.

“Are you still at the airport? Gimpo International Airport? If you are, then I will come to find you because you are definitely not in the position to drive yourself back to Seoul.”

“Y-yes I am.” Jongwoon stood up and left his apartment without a second hesitance, walking to the bus stop to take it to the airport. It was an agonising one hour before Jongwoon arrived at the airport. He ran to the waiting area where he knew Kyuhyun would be waiting for him.

“Kyuhyun hyung! Are you alright? I was so worried!” Jongwoon cried, rushing to the older male and enveloping him in a hug.

“Yes, I think I am fine. I think I have dried myself out of tears. I am actually feeling rather tired. It is weird how tiring crying makes you.”

“You can’t drive in this condition home! We can take the bus and collect your car back from the airport tomorrow.”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “I can’t do that, parking here is extortionately expensive and I would cry if I saw my bank account. We can just sit at a café for a little while and let me gain some energy from drinking coffee.” Jongwoon nodded, walking towards a nearby café which was located at the front of the airport. “I am really sorry for making you come all the way here. I guess it was just a huge shock to the system to think that Sungmin hyung has finally gone. I really didn’t think he would leave me so easily. Thinking about it, he should be arriving in Beijing soon. I told him to call me when he arrives and the flight is about one hour and thirty minutes.”

Kyuhyun’s phone rang and he answered the phone immediately. “Sungmin hyung. I miss you so much already. Have you arrived? Good. I feel so much better after talking to you. Call me again when you get home, alright? Don’t worry about me, I was a bit upset at first, but I am feeling better now. Jongwoon is with me to keep me company. We are going to do some work together on my project. Well we are thinking about going through some of the questionnaire results that we have already collected. I also want to make sure his health hasn’t changed since last time. Alright, well we will Skype tonight. I want to see your face again because I miss you so much. I love you, hyung. Bye.”

Kyuhyun smiled as he ended the call. “I think I feel better now, shall we drive you home now?” Jongwoon nodded.

“Kyuhyun hyung, why did you lie to Sungmin ssi? Why did you tell him that we were going to be working on your project?” Jongwoon asked when they got into the car and drove off towards the centre of Seoul.

“Sungmin hyung told me off for talking about you before he left, so I have to be very careful with my words. I don’t see the problem with hanging out with you, you are my friend after all.” Jongwoon shrugged, letting silence take over the rest of the journey.

 

 

It had been two weeks since Sungmin left Seoul to go back to China and Kyuhyun was getting more and more concerned. The day his boyfriend left, they Skyped, but since then, they hadn’t spoken to each other since. Kyuhyun had tried to contact the older male: calling his mobile phone (which rang through to voicemail every single time) and waiting for him to go online on Skype (which never seemed to happen).

It was in the evening that Kyuhyun received a text from Sungmin, requesting to speak to him on Skype in five minutes. Kyuhyun hurriedly typed a response saying that it was fine by him.

When Sungmin’s face appeared once the call had connected, Kyuhyun smiled brightly at the older male. “Sungmin hyung! I missed you so much! Why haven’t you called me?”

Sungmin sighed. Kyuhyun noticed the bags under the older male’s eyes and also the interesting new hair colour. “I’m sorry, Kyuhyun ah. I have been really busy in trying to enrol. I just haven’t had the time. Tonight is pretty much the first time I have been free since arriving here. How is it for you back in Seoul?”

“Well it is alright, I am finding it hard without you. But I am coping, and I am trying to cook more complex meals other than instant noodles. How about you in China?”

“Well it is nice to be in a different culture, a bit confusing with converting between Korean and Chinese though. But that isn’t why I wanted to call you right now. I have something really serious I need to talk to you about, and I am worried with how you will respond. The truth is, I think we should end our relationship.”

Kyuhyun paused as he tried to take the information in, tears started invading his vision. “What? Is it something I have done wrong? I can change. Please don’t do this to me, I need you!”

“You haven’t done anything wrong. I have done the most awful things and in all honesty, I have been thinking about breaking up with you for a while. Long story short, I cheated on you. I didn’t tell you because I still loved you. And then when you started spending more and more time with Jongwoon and didn’t leave any time for me, I started cheating on you with more people. Going to China has been the best decision in my life really. I have met someone, and I really think I love him. We just sort of clicked. I know it is wrong for me to break up with you to chase after someone else, but I just think that we have lost the spark in our relationship.”

Kyuhyun was lost for words. He could feel his eyes prickling as he tried to hold his tears from falling in front of the person he loved. “Hyung… please don’t do this to me. Please say that this is just a nightmare and tell me to wake up.”

“Kyuhyun ah. It is the truth. I don’t want to lie and ruin your life further. You deserve to be happy too and I am holding not just you, but myself back too. I am so sorry for having to tell it to you in these circumstances.”

“You did it on purpose! You left the country so that when you told me, you wouldn’t have to feel guilty.”

“I still want to be friends with you, Kyuhyun ah.”

Kyuhyun could see the sorrow in Sungmin’s eyes, but he couldn’t bring himself to continue to look at the older man in the eyes. “You know that isn’t possible. We ruined four years of friendship by starting the relationship in the first place. I can’t believe that you cheated on me after five years since we first started dating. I trusted you.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Goodbye, Sungmin ssi. Goodbye.” Kyuhyun pressed the end call button, letting the tears finally fall down his cheeks. He stood up and left the house. It was raining, but he walked in an aimless direction along with the flow of traffic. He didn’t know what to think. How could Sungmin have cheated on him and let Kyuhyun continue to live life oblivious to it? And then tell him in a different country where he couldn’t go and approach the older male.

He walked around the city for around an hour before knocking on a door and revealing a shocked Jongwoon in his pyjamas. “Kyuhyun hyung, what are you doing here at eleven at night? Wait, are you wet? Are you crying? Come in, I will lend you some clothes so you can have a shower.” Jongwoon pulled the crying male into his apartment and towards the bedroom to find some clothes. “Here, I think these will fit you. They are just some thin clothes, but I assumed you wouldn’t want to sleep in anything too thick.” Kyuhyun nodded and headed towards the door without saying a single word.

Kyuhyun exited the bathroom twenty minutes later in Jongwoon’s clothes. “I am sorry about my spontaneous appearance. I guess the news shocked me and I wasn’t sure how to process it. You were the first person that came into mind to get comfort from.”

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. It is getting late anyway, you can use the bed and I will just sleep on the sofa.”

“No, I want to tell you know. If I tell you, I think I will finally be able to over it and continue with life.” Jongwoon nodded, urging Kyuhyun to join him on the sofa. “Sungmin ssi… he broke up with me. He said that he cheated on me and that he isn’t sure that he loves me anymore. It really hurt. I still love him so much.” Kyuhyun explained as he cried. Jongwoon wrapped his arms around the younger male in comfort and whispered soft words of reassurance. “I knew a long distance relationship would be difficult, but I didn’t think he would have cheated on me.”

Jongwoon sighed, helping the older male stand up and they walked to the bedroom. Kyuhyun got into the bed and lay down. “Don’t leave me yet.”

“I won’t.” Jongwoon smiled, grabbing Kyuhyun’s hand and sat on the floor. He watched as Kyuhyun fell asleep, his own eyes feeling heavy in the process. He woke up the next morning, in the same position, Kyuhyun’s hand still holding his hand tightly.

 

 

When Jongwoon received a phone call from Kyuhyun a week later, he ran to the older male’s house. “Kyuhyun hyung? Are you okay? What is wrong? Tell me, hyung!”

“I- I can’t see. The colours. They have all gone!” Kyuhyun cried, refusing to look up from his position. Jongwoon understood what Kyuhyun was going through; the same thoughts that he experienced when it first happened to him, but worse. Kyuhyun had been working so hard for many years trying to become a doctor and all of that could go to waste if he didn’t get it back soon.

“Kyuhyun, it is okay. We can get through it. You have been so focussed on your work, but try to think of it as a positive thing and use it as part of your experiment. We don’t need to tell your lecturers yet. And if you get your sight back, you can talk about your experience of Greyscale in your assignment. Please don’t be sad.” Jongwoon suggested, walking over to the older male and hugging him tightly.

“There is no point. I don’t even know the cause of it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter