⟶ i.

「qu'il n'avait pas」

 

 


 

It was the first day of kindergarten when fate drew them together. They were happy and excited, having found a new friend they could forever rely on.

Jangmi accidentally pushed baby Yixing into a sandbox and his favourite pail broke.

She hugged herself, thinking that although they had just met, he would he’d cry and break hers.

Maybe he'd leave already.

But he didn’t.

Then they grew together and went to the same elementary school of Seoul. Jangmi with her quirky outfit and Yixing with his.

They had both entered a science fair.

Jangmi’s partner was absent, so it was all up to her to win. She mixed the wrong chemicals; causing the volcano to explode and their whole creation was ruined.

Yixing was nearby.

When the teachers came and asked her, she blamed the explosion on him. Saying he made her distracted.

Jangmi thought that he’d deny it and rat her out because he was bigger.

But he didn’t.

It was middle school now and class had just ended.

Jangmi felt annoyed and pissed off because Yixing didn’t want to sign in to the same music class as her.

So she tattled about with his guitar.

Pulling the strings out and changing the tune.

When it came to the music festival, he couldn’t perform.

She knew that is was in plain sight, he would acknowledge that it was all her doing. Jangmi was so sure that he’d stop talking to her by then.

But he didn’t.

They reached freshman year and Yixing's new friend, Minah asked Jangmi to remind Yixing of their appointment at the cafe tonight.

Minah explained to her that she’d ask him out.

Jangmi was distracted, she didn’t remember.

Just before she was about to meet Yixing, her father had informed her that her cousin had passed away.

Yixing got a call from Minah, asking where he was. Minah was angry to realize that Jangmi hadn’t told him.

She was only reminded once she had laid step in her house, thinking that he would’ve turned away from her now.

But he didn’t.

They grew older and it was sophomore year.

After working hard, doing part time jobs and offering to do chores; Yixing finally got the phone of his dreams. He attended a pool party, completely focused on his phone.

Jangmi was mad. He didn’t even talk to her.

So she pushed him in the pool with his brand new phone.

She realized that she went too far. And maybe sophomore year was the limit. She thought that he’d pull her in too, and leave.

But he didn’t.

Junior year was then, when she felt like joking around and tricked Yixing into thinking that the head cheerleader wanted to hook up behind the bleachers just after the game.

Jangmi watched from afar, guilty yet laughing.

But suddenly a week later, he got pneumonia instead.

He was continuously medicated and she witnessed him clutching his chest numerous times, heaving in and out. His breathing was rigid.

Yixing was so sick that she thought she had screwed up. That had to be the last straw; surely he’d gather his things and officially pack up.

But he didn’t.

Jangmi was jealous because of senior formal.

Yixing actually did end up accepting Minah’s hand.

She’d put itching powder into his tux; his date must’ve been revolted and thought he was disgusting.

Jangmi knew that he really started to like her, so she figured that he’d classify their friendship as a royal mess up.

But he didn’t.

Then she realized that she had many things to do and make up to him for her mistakes and wrongdoings.

She had a whole party full of cakes and presents, with people from allover the country, prepared. His friends and family, even the other half of his special group that were currently in China.

She was going to tell him everything from her heart.

Her reasons.

She would do it all, after he comes home from the North and South Korean war. She would.

But then he didn’t.