It Was You

It Was You

The streets of Seoul were buzzing with noise, and among the scurrying people, a figure with brown and frizzy hair slowly made her way to her favourite coffee shop. As she opened the door, a gust of air conditioning blew into her face and her ears were filled with soft jazz music. No one sat at the tables, and she took the liberty to sit down at the counter facing the window. She dropped her bag on the chair next to her and slammed her forehead on the surface of the counter, letting out a long and satisfied sigh.

Suddenly, she heard feet shuffling next to her and the clang of a dishware. She looked up and noticed a large cup placed on a saucer in front of her, the steam slowly moving up from its content. She glanced to the side and noticed a familiar barista standing next to her with a warm smile.

"Rough day?" he asked. She nodded and took her bag, moving it off the chair. The man pulled the chair and sat down, propping his elbow on the counter. "Well I've managed to get burned only seven times, almost stepped in dog poop, the trash bag broke open, and an old lady accused me of stealing her reading glasses whereas they were hanging around her neck the whole time. Can you top that?" he chuckled.

She stretched her arms and sat back up, swinging her head in his direction. "My parents are nagging me about my future again. Nothing new really." she gave a weak smile and took the cup in her hands. As she began to sip the jasmine tea, she ended up burning her tongue. She made a distorted face and began fanning herself with her tongue sticking out.

"Yah, Tsanmeen, you coun't warn meh?" she complained, and Changmin tried to hold back a laugh, all in vain.

"So what, I'm supposed to serve you cold tea now?" he retorted, giving her a light push. He managed to make her crack a smile.

"How do you do it?" she finally asks. "How did you end up here, smiling as brightly as ever? It's like nothing bothers you, nothing brings you down. Didn't you have your own ambitions? Your parents breathing down your neck and opposing this idea?" she bit the inside of her cheek at the thought of it all. It left a bitter taste in , or maybe it was just the tea.

Changmin thought for a moment, and looked away from her. "My entire life can be described in one sentence: it didn't go as planned, and that's okay." he shrugged his shoulders and looked back at her, smiling that smile that melted Hana's heart and welded it into his Adonis-like face.

"That's beautiful, and really inspiring." she said in admiration.

"I know," he smirked, "It's written on the wall."

She frowned, confused at his words. She suddenly turned around, only to see the quote written on the wall. She laughed, "Rachel Wolchin, huh? Well then I hope you send my regards to her for a truly beautiful quote. Thanks, you know."

He felt himself blush and looked outside into the streets.

"And there's not only that." Hana circled the edge of the cup. "I suddenly got this wave of loneliness, being single for a while now.  I just want to sit at home and watch a movie with someone I like, and I guess I don't have that luxury. Just coming home and feeling happy that I don't have to spend the evening alone eating take-out because I can't cook. Not to mention I'd like to come here to the cafe with that person-"

Suddenly, as Changmin got up, his chair toppled over, and Hana had the pleasure of suddenly experiencing her lips in between his in a warm kiss. He pulled back and rested his forehead on hers.

"Wh... Why- I... I mean I liked it- I like you- I've liked you for a while now but you- What is happening?"

"Two years ago you came into this cafe and messed up the name of a pastry. I took one look at you and you made me nostalgic for a love that hadn't even happened yet. You asked me just now  how I am always happy, and the answer is simple: it was you two years ago, it has been you during all this time, and I hope it will be you for years to come."

"Please tell me that's not written on the wall." Hana said bluntly as a tear fell down her cheek. He began to laugh and gave her one last peck on her lips before wrapping his arms around her shoulders.