Hero In Training

Hero In Training - Kris

"Hunter, let’s get ready for bed" You called as you came out from the kitchen from finishing the after dinner dishes. Leaning on the white door frame of his bedroom, you pushed the white door open slightly to see your husband, Kris, playing with your son, Hunter.

Passing cars between them on the canvass car map that you had bought Hunter for a Christmas present years ago. Getting on his small knees, his little hand pressed against the car map as his other hand guided the little metal and plastic car along the drawn lines on the car map.

Kris smiled as he made car noises as they played happily, pretending that there was a big police car chase in the middle of town. With the hero’s car jumping over pedestrian cars and saving the day, you folded your arms over yourself as you smiled and cocked one leg, enjoying watching them play.

"Let’s put the cars back in their garages for the night" Kris smiles and drives his car into the garage to fill up the gas tank while driving some of the other cars to the houses.

"But Daddy the car’s aren’t tired…" Hunter pulled his car in the garage

"They need fuel for tomorrow to catch the bank robbers" Kris reasons as Hunter nodded and put the police cars back into their station’s parking lot.

"I guess so" Hunter tilted his head to one side as he parked the last car. "Daddy?"

"Yes?" Kris looked up and saw his son looking down at the favorite car in his hand, his little fingers rubbing against the front windshield.

"Can you play cars with me tomorrow after work?" Hunter questioned, looking up with his big brown eyes.

"Hunter…" Kris started as you knew that it was always hard for Kris to say goodbye to your son, but especially when he had a world tour and would be gone for a while.

"Time for bed" You cooed, interrupting them on purpose as you looked like you had just walked in on them.

"One moment, Mommy" Hunter held up one finger before he picked up his favorite car in his hand and walked across the car map carefully before he sat in Kris’ lap.

"What were you saying, Daddy?" Hunter looked up at his Dad with his full attention on him as Kris looked down at him and rubbed his back gently, smiling gently as he leaned closer and pressed a kiss on the crown of his head.

"Time for bed" He whispered gently against Hunter’s black hair. Hunter nodded and stood up before he wrapped his small arms around Kris’ neck, nuzzling his little head into his dad’s neck.

"Goodnight Dad, I love you" Hunter whispered before pulling away and kissing Kris’ cheek softly.

"I love you too" Kris whispered and kissed his son’s cheek back in return.

Letting Hunter move from his lap, Kris watched as Hunter trotted over to you and slid his small hand into yours.

"Let’s get me ready for bed Mommy" He smiles up to you as you nod with a smile. Glancing over at Kris, he carefully stood up as you knew that his heart was being pulled tight from the sweet moment.

"Go choose some pajamas and put them on for me, okay?" You knelt down and told him as he nodded excitedly, loving to dress himself like a big boy.

Kris and you both walked out of the room and closed the door behind you as Kris stopped and kept his back turned towards you.

"You don’t want to tell him about the world tour, do you?" You whispered so Hunter wouldn’t hear.

"I don’t like to upset him" Kris looked over his shoulder at you before he turned and wrapped you in a tight hug, "It is really hard for me to keep saying goodbye to both of you."

"I know, it is hard to say goodbye to you too" You whispered and hugged him back tightly. Hunter’s door opened, you looked at him and he turned around and went to go choose some books from his bookshelf for you to read for him.

"I have some books for us, Mommy" Hunter climbed up onto his bed, Kris and you both broke the hug while Hunter slipped his little legs under the covers, pulling his car comforter over his car pajamas.

"Can Daddy and I both read books to you tonight?" You asked as you looked up at Kris, who gently nodded his head and wrapped one arm around you.

"That would be perfect!" Hunter smiled brightly and clapped his hands together before he grabbed his black teddy bear and cuddled with it as Kris and you sat on the floor in front of his bed.

Getting two books each, you read your first book and Kris read his after you, then you read your last book and Kris finished off the bedtime stories with Lightning McQueen’s adventures. Looking over his shoulder, Kris saw his little boy all cuddled with his teddy, pulling up the covers on his son’s shoulders. You stood up and returned the books, walking over to Kris, you held your hand out to him and he took it as he stood up.

"See you soon, Hunter" He whispered and kissed his head before holding your hand a little tighter.

Walking out of his bedroom, hand in hand, Kris quietly closed the door behind him and headed into the shared bedroom with you. His luggage already packed and ready to leave, he sighed and turned to look at you.

"Are you sure that you can manage without me?" He questioned, his thumb gently moving over the back of your hand.

"No" You whispered and looked down at your intertwined hands. "But…go have fun, I can’t wait to hear all about it."

Nodding his head, he faced you and brought one hand up and slid his fingers across your cheek as he titled your head up slightly so his lips could gently press onto yours. With a moment of warmth and love flowing from his lips to yours, he started to move his lips gently. Your hand wrapped around his torso as you followed his lead and kissed him back deeply. Allowing your lips to dance with his, he pulled on your lips gently with his trying to express how much he loves you. Pressing your body closer to his, you felt your breath slowly fade away as he kept his lips on yours.

Unwillingly breaking the kiss, he gently rested his forehead against yours as he fluttered open his eyes as your eyes met his.

"I love you, baby girl" He whispered ever so softly, allowing shivers to run up and down your spine.

"I love you too Fanfan" You whispered back, kissing the tip of your nose, he pet your hair slowly.

Pulling away from you and grabbed his luggage and totted it to the front door. Following him to the door, you handed him his favorite jacket, slipping his arms through the sleeves he heard a small noise. Looking over your shoulder he saw Hunter standing there with something in his hands.

"Hunter what are you doing up?" Kris questioned, Hunter ran up to his dad while Kris knelt down and wrapped his son in his arms.

"You’re leaving again?" Hunter’s voice cracked while his little hands gripped the hoodie that Kris was wearing.

"I’m sorry buddy, but I have to go on tour" He whispered, closing his eyes and holding Hunter tightly.

"It is okay" Hunter patted Kris’ back as he pulled away a little and stood before his dad with his hands clasped in front of him. "I understand" His little head nodded in understanding.

"I’m sorry Hunter, I couldn’t tell you" Kris pet his little son’s head and brushed Hunter’s cheek with his large hand.

"That is okay, I have something for you so you won’t forget us" Hunter glanced up at his dad, Kris’ eyes started to coat over in fresh tears.

"I won’t ever forget you" Kris smiled reassuringly

"But just in case…" Hunter held out his little hands and presented Kris with his favorite car.

"This is your favorite car though" Kris looked down at the car then back up at Hunter, "Besides this is the Hero’s car, who is going to keep the bad guys in jail?"

"I think another car can step in its place." Hunter whispered and placed his car in Kris’ large hands

Kris looked down at the car in his hand, before he leaned over and kissed Hunter’s cheek. Lifting one of Hunter’s little hands up, he placed his favorite car in the palm of his hand.

"Keep the Hero’s car and have fun with the Hero and robbers" Kris folded Hunter’s little fingers over his favorite car.

"I can’t have fun" Hunter pouted as he looked down at his father’s hand over his.

"Why not?" Kris tilted Hunter’s chin up slowly.

"Because, you are my Hero" He whispers before he wraps his arms around Kris’ neck tightly.

"You know, Hero’s always return" Kris whispered, holding his son tightly as a tear rolled down his cheek. "You have to wait for your Hero to return and take care of Mommy so you can be a my little Hero-In-Training."

"Promise?" Hunter’s voice was soft and slightly cracking as large tears swelled in his eyes, blinking, one of his large tears rolled down his plump cheeks.

"I promise, Hunter." Kris nodded, wiping his son’s tear away.

"Have a good trip, my Hero" Hunter’s eyes followed Kris’ as he stood up and moved over beside you.

Leaning down and picking him up, you held him on your hip as you watched Kris pick up his bags and open the front door.

"Have fun, my Hero-In-Training" Kris smiled before he waved and walked down the hall.

Watching him walk further and further away before he got to the black van that was waiting for him, you watched him place his bags in the back before he slid open the back door and turned to you. Blowing a kiss to the two of you and waving, the van took off down the street.

Hunter and you watched the van until you both couldn’t see it anymore, your son’s head rested on your shoulder.

"Do you want to come sleep with Mommy so she won’t be lonely?" You offered knowing that both of you would have a hard time sleeping apart tonight.

"Is that what a Hero-In-Training does?" Hunter asked softly as he let out a soft yawn.

"Mhmmmm, he does, he does a lot of other things too" You whispered while you closed the door behind you and locked it as you headed to your bedroom.

Laying Hunter down on your bed, you changed and slipped into the bed next to him. Bringing him into your arms, you petted his hair as he was already fast asleep before your phone rang with an incoming message.

Sweet dreams Love and my Hero - K