Chapter 8

The Youngest Park Sister

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8:

 

In the weeks that followed, CL became close friends with Dara. The two hung out a lot both at school and at Dara’s house. Dara introduced CL to Bom and Byul and the two older girls adopted CL like their fourth sister. CL adored Bom and Byul’s fashion sense and loved Dara’s spunky spirit.  CL, Bom, and Byul could spend hours shopping, and they always dragged Dara along. The three were determined to get Dara to change her image at school.

They started by getting rid of all Dara’s boys’ socks that she was so fond of. Instead they bought her thigh high girls stockings. Next they changed the length of Dara’s skirts so that it showed more of her lovely legs. Then they got rid of all her plaid shirts she was so fond of tying around her waist. CL instead showed Dara different types of blouses that she could wear for her uniform top that complimented Dara’s figure instead of the too large button down shirts Dara preferred. Lastly the three dragged Dara off to the salon and gave her a stylish cut and changed her hair color to a warm chestnut gold color. The end result was a Dara that was a total knockout.

“She’s going to be the new queen of the school,” Bom sniffed, proud of their accomplishment. CL passed a tissue to both Bom and Byul and the three sat there pretending to cry with joy. Dara rolled her eyes but knew she wouldn’t be able to win against the three of them.

Dara was hesitant about the new look, wary of the attention it would draw her way. Her other look had also garnered attention but it was the type of attention that was short lived and resulted in people ignoring her. This look, she knew, would have the opposite result.

She was right.

On the first day she wore the new look that was orchestrated by her sisters and CL, Dara felt like as if she were walking through the school with the way everyone was staring at her. She was so uncomfortable with the attention that she eventually made her way up to the rooftop and sat at her old hiding spot. That was where Jiyong found her and he saw the frustration in her eyes.

Wordlessly he pulled her up and into his arms. He held her for a long time while she buried her face into his chest.

“You know that I’ve always found you beautiful,” he told her. His voice was low and comforting. “But the reason I fell in love with you is because of the person you are inside. You’re my sweet Dara. My beautiful sweet Dara that can kick anyone’s , mine included.”

He heard her laugh against his chest, and he smoothed a comforting hand down her back. “Just think of this as another persona,” he suggested. “Another role that you can master.”

Dara thought about it, then sniffed and drew her shoulders back. “I’ll do it,” she said.

“That’s my girl,” Jiyong stated, and placed a kiss on her forehead. When they went back down they found CL hovering near the door leading up to the rooftop. She had a worried look on her face when she saw Dara.

“Are you okay?” she asked, feeling bad now for having participated in forcing Dara to change her school look. “I’m sorry, Dara. I just wanted everyone to see how beautiful you really are.”

“It’s okay,” Dara told CL, and she turned to smile up at Jiyong before turning back to CL. “I think I can live with this look.”

 

**

 

CL and Bom sat on Dara’s bed as Dara modeled yet another possible dress to wear to the end of year school dance.

“What do you think, Chae?” Bom asked.

“Too plain… and long.”

“I agree.”

Dara scowled at her sister and friend. “Long?! Look how short this is, you can almost see my underwear!”

“Not unless you plan on wearing boxers,” CL teased. She and Bom high fived each other as they broke down laughing. Dara rolled her eyes and jumped on the bed beside them and lay back, her arm over her eyes.

“I give up! I’m just going to wear jeans and a t-shirt,” she declared.

“NO!” Both Bom and CL shouted simultaneously. Bom reached for a dress that she had brought for Dara to wear and had laid it across the back of Dara’s chair.

“Now THIS is a dress,” she smirked, and lowered her voice in a mock whisper to CL. “Jiyong will definitely see her underwear in this one!”

“I heard that!” Dara shouted, and she threw a pillow at CL and Bom.

 

**