001

Love Does Feel Hurt Sometimes

Written in Gongchan’s POV

 

 

“Mom, I have to go now!” I rushed into the front door as I hung my messenger bag on my shoulder, not forgetting to kiss my mother goodbye before walking out the door.

I walked fast. I know I’d be late if I’m not walking fast. It was my first day of piano course. I just moved from my old piano course place because the teacher was moving into another city.

“Hey!” I let out a protest when suddenly someone covered my eyes with his palms.

“Guess who~” I heard a voice I know.

“Baro, I know that’s you.”

He let go of his hands and said, “How did you know?”

I rolled my eyes and continued walking. “I know you since we were six!”

“Hey, hey, hey! Chill down, dude!” He must be wondering why I walked so fast. “Where are you going?”

“Piano course.”

“I thought the direction should be there,” he pointed at our back, “and not there,” he pointed our front.

“Moved.”

“Moved? Why?”

I stopped my tracks and faced the confused Baro. “Look. It’s almost four. My piano course starts at four and I don’t want to be late on my first day. I don’t want to leave a bad impression to my teacher, especially when I’m a new student. Get it?”

Baro nodded but I could see that he didn’t understand.

“Thanks,” I walked again, leaving Baro in his spot.

Just a few steps later, I heard Baro footsteps running towards me. “Hey, Chan-ah! Wait! What are you talking about?”

I rolled my eyes and keep on walking. “You heard it.”

“I didn’t get the point!”

Again, I stopped my tracks. I sighed desperately. “Aww, my dear Cha Sunwoo~ Please… I don’t have time now,” I stared my best friend’s eyes. “Hm? I have a piano course, and I’m already late,” I could see myself in Baro’s brown eyes. “You can mad at me, or not talk to me or play with me anymore. I just need an hour of piano course. After that I’ll be totally free! And we can do whatever you want.”

Baro stayed silent for a while. He sighed. “Oh, fine.”

I smiled a small smile. “Thank you.”

He only nodded and walked away.

“Hey, Hyung!” I called. He turned around. “I’ll call you later!”

He only looked at me. God, was he mad?

He smiled and nodded his head. I let out a relief sigh before smiling back—and running off.

/

 

I opened the door, panting. My piano teacher who was sitting in front of the piano and playing a random song, turned around. Stupid me! I should have knocked the door first!

My teacher smiled at me. My heart skipped a beat at the sight. “Welcome,” he greeted. Thank goodness he was not mad. I guess he was a kindhearted and friendly person.

“Sorry for coming late,” I walked into the small and simple room.

“It’s okay. You’re the last student I have to teach today, anyway. So, we’re not in a rush, aren’t we?” he still smiled at me. He moved away from the piano chair and sat down on another small chair. “Sit down here,” he patted the now-empty piano chair.

“Thank you,” I did as he said so.

“So… You must be Chansik,” he stated.

I nodded. “But please call me Gongchan.”

“Ok, Gongchan. How old are you?”

“Fifteen—going to be sixteen next month.”

He nodded. “I’m Jung Jinyoung, twenty two years old. You can just call me Jinyoung,” he smiled (again).

Jung Jinyoung. I will remember that name.

/

 

I went to my room right away when I reached home. As I promised before, I called my childhood friend, Baro.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hello Baro-hyung,”

“Hi. What’s wrong?” he asked me.

“Nothing. I just want to say sorry for ignoring you back there.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I know you were in a rush. I should say sorry too.”

“Okay then, you’re forgiven.”

“So are you,” he stated.

“Thank you,” I smiled. “I thought you’d be mad.”

Baro chuckled. “I won’t be mad at small things like that.”

I smiled at his answer. I’m so thankful to have such a friend. We’ve known each other since our childhood. We bonded and became best friends soon.

“So, how was your course?”

“It was good. I enjoyed it a lot.”

“That’s good then. What about the teacher?”

I didn’t now why, but Baro’s question made me feel…weird?

“My piano teacher? Umm… He is so friendly. He likes to smile I guess. And he is also patient and kindhearted. You see, I was late. But he didn’t get angry or mad. His name is Jung Jinyoung. Twenty three years old. He started to teach piano since he was twenty, but he started learning piano when he was five. He’s majoring jazz and classical…. What else I should tell you about?”

“His look?”

“Well… Not bad… Tall… Has a pair of fox-like-eyes… Pretty handsome… He has beautiful eyes…And gorgeous smile…” Unconsciously I smiled when I describe him to Baro.

“That’s good then. Not like your old piano teacher. He’s old and gets angry easily,” Baro said grumpily.

“You still remember him?”

“Of course! I can’t forget it when he yelled at you just because of a short three minutes late!”

“Hahaha. Chill down Hyung!”

“S’okay. He’s the past.”

I smiled at his sentence.

For a moment, we just listened to the silence. I felt relieve. Baro had forgiven me. And we could laugh together again.

“Hyuk,” I called his name.

“Hm?” he hummed.

“Can I tell you something?”

“You can tell me anything.”

“It’s about-“

That’s when I heard someone knocked my room door.

“Wait,” I said to Baro before saying to the ‘guest’, “Come in!”

The door opened, revealing my older brother, Shinwoo.

“Dinner’s ready, Chanie,” he announced.

“Okay, wait for a sec,” I reply.

Shinwoo Hyung closed the door. I talked to the phone again. “Hey look, I have to go now. Dinner.”

“Okay then…”

“Talk to you later~”

“Okay, see ya.”

“Bye bye.”

I hung up the phone and hop off from the bed and walked to the dinning room. Actually, I’m a step-son here. I lived in an orphanage before—I don’t know what happened to my biological parents. Then, when I was three, the Shin family adopted me. That’s what my father told me. Although I’m a step-son, they never treat me differently. They see me as their own child—and I also see them as my real family. We’re all family. We’re together and loving each other. Just that—and that’s enough.

 

“Oh! Sandeul hyung is here! Sandeul hyung, hi!” I greeted with a smile when I saw Sandeul hyung at the dinning table. Shinwoo-hyung told me that he’d come to have a dinner with us. Sandeul-hyung is Shinwoo-hyung’s boyfriend. Shinwoo hyung loved him so much—he told me about him often. It seems like Shinwoo-hyung’s so proud of having Sandeul-hyung as his lover.

“Oh, hi Chanie,” Sandeul hyung smiled his sweet smile.

I sat down beside Shinwoo hyung and having a dinner with my family and Sandeul-hyung.

/

“I can’t do this!” I said desperately as I did more mistake. I was trying to play the song Jinyoung-hyung had just taught me. But it was so hard! And I did soooooo many faults!

“No, no, no… Never say that,” I heard Jinyoung-hyung’s deep voice. “You can do it. Come on, let’s try it once again.”

“But I’ve tried it for the sixth time!” I felt tears coming to my eyes.

“Then try it for the seventh time,” he smiled.

“No… I can’t do this,” I hid my tears from Jinyoung-hyung.

“Why are you keeping saying this?” Jinyoung-hyung’s voice softened. “Hm? What make you think that you can’t?”

“I did so many mistakes,” I couldn’t hold back my desperate tears any longer. This was stupid! I cried in front of my piano teacher?!

Jinyoung-hyung put a hand on my back and started drawing invisible circles on it. The touch made me feel a bit better. “It’s okay. It’s okay to make mistakes—even so many mistakes,” he stared in my eyes, but I avoided it—feeling embarrassed of crying. “But,” he continued, “You have to do something. You have to learn from your fault. Learn how to fix your fault, and never ever repeat the same mistake. You’ll improve your knowledge and experiences from it.”

Silent.

I let Jinyoung-hyung’s words processed in my mind. He was right. I have to learn from my mistakes. I’ll never be a better person before I make a fault and learn from it—or make a fault but never try to fix it.

Jinyoung-hyung spoke again. “Everyone does make mistakes. Even the great people, they make mistakes too. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi. They did.”

Again, I only kept silent. But there, inside me, I feel somewhat motivated.

“So, will you continue trying? Or just keep saying that you can’t and stop here?” he looked in my eyes.

Stop? No! I have a dream that waits to be achieved. And I need this to reach my dream.

“I’ll try again…” I said softly.

“What? I can’t hear you.”

“I’ll try again,” a bit louder.

“C’mon, say it louder to ensure yourself,” he said. “And I also want you to say that you can do it.”

“I’ll try again because I know that I can do it.”

“Once again!”

“I’LL TRY AGAIN because I know that I CAN DO IT!” I shouted.

Jinyoung-hyung smiled at me. “Thank you. Now, smile for me.”

I smiled. Just a little smile, but it came from the deepest part of my heart. A sincere smile.

“Thank you,” I said once again.

He patted my head and messed up my hair. “You’re very welcome. Now, let’s continue.”

I smiled and, once again, I tried to play the song. I still do some mistakes—but it’s okay. I kept trying and trying. Until finally I can do it! It was all because of Jinyoung-hyung. He was my hero.

/

It’s been two months since the first time I came into Jinyoung-hyung’s class. I didn’t know why, but I felt so comfortable. I felt somewhat…safe. I knew this is weird. But, why did I keep thinking about him?

I couldn’t forget every single thing he did easily. Even just the simplest thing he did.

One day, I was reading a magazine while my brother was playing a Rubik cube. I peeked to Shinwoo-hyung from my magazine. Seemed like he was trying hard to solve the colorful Rubik.

“Hyung,” I called hesitantly, still holding the magazine I read.

“Hm?” he looked up from his Rubik.

“Am I bothering?”

“No, why?”

“Can I ask you something?” I put down the magazine.

“Sure. What is it?”

I hesitated for a while before asking, “Is it normal to think about someone all the time?”

Shinwoo-hyung smiled. He put down his Rubik cube and walked to me, sat down next to me.

“What about you? What do you think about it?” he asked back.

I frowned when Shinwoo-hyung didn’t answer my question. “Uhmmm, I think… it’s weird. I mean, why do I keep thinking about him?”

Again, he didn’t reply my question. “What do you feel towards that person?”

“I’m not sure. I just feel comfortable being around him. And… and I always want to be next to him.”

Shinwoo-hyung nodded his head. “So, he is special for you?”

I raised an eyebrow. “Special? Not sure.”

“Oh, really?”

I nodded. “Maybe he is. But, I really am not sure.”

Shinwoo-hyung smiled. “That is love.”

I tilted my head. “Love?”

He nodded. “That’s how I feel towards Sandeul too at first. I always wanted to be at his side, not wanting to let him go.”

I blinked, waiting for him to continue.

“You are falling in love, Chan. You keep thinking about him. You always want to be with him. Your heart beats rapidly whenever you see his smile. You often imagine him in your mind. Everything you do or see always reminds you of him,” Shinwoo-hyung spoke.

That’s right. Everything that Shinwoo-hyung had said was right. That was how exactly I felt towards Jinyoung-hyung. But, how could I fall in love with my piano teacher? Which was seven years older than me? Was I really falling in love?

As if could read what’s in my mind, Shinwoo hyung said, “Yes, Gongchan. You’re falling in love…”

/

 

The next day, I visited Baro’s work place. Baro works in a small café next to his house. He got a part time job there—just to spend his free time.

It was his break time when I get there, so we could talk. I told him about Jinyoung-hyung and my feelings towards him. Baro only nodded his head and hummed every now and then. And he came into the same conclusion.

“That’s how love feels,” he stated.

Same answer.

“But he is my piano teacher,” I said.

“Then?”

“I-it’s weird… Impossible…”

“Possible.”

I frowned.

“Don’t deny it, Chan. You know, a heart can’t be denied. Just admit that you’re in love with him. As I heard from you, he is a good guy, right?”

“Yeah, he is. But, it’s ridiculous. A sixteen years old boy is falling in love with a twenty three years old guy?”

“Does age matter?”

Again, I was speechless. Maybe Baro and Shinwoo-hyung were right. But…

“He won’t love me back, anyway,” I said.

“What make you think like that?”

“Well,” I shrugged. “Our ages?”

“What’s wrong with your ages?”

“Uhm, I’m too young for him. And I don’t think he likes it.”

/

 

Another piano class. Jinyoung-hyung was playing the piano when I noticed a ring on his  fourth finger.

“What’s that?” I asked out of the blue.

Jinyoung-hyung stopped playing. “Huh?”

“That,” I pointed his left hand. “What ring is that?”

“Oh,” he looked at his own ring. “It’s an engagement ring.”

My heart skipped a beat, feels like it’s falling from a very high place, and shattered as it hits the hard ground. But I didn’t want to make it obvious, so I didn’t show any facial expression.”Oh, you’re engaged?” I said flatly.

He nodded. “Yes. We are planning on a marriage. Why are you asking?” he looked up from his ring.

“Nothing. Just curious.”

He nodded again. “Okay then. Let’s continue our lesson.”

Yeah. But I’ve lost my mood now.

 

 

 

a/n: First chapter! I feel like crying when I re-read it. It's so aweful. You guys deserve a better chapter ;-; But this is it. Please tell me how you think of this chapter. 

Anyway, it feels weird to write everyone’s names (except Gongchan and Baro) with ‘Hyung’. And making Gongchan so young here. But I think we all will get used to it.

I just hope that you guys enjoy my writings. Thanks for reading! Comments are very appreciated :) See you next chapter (which is the last chapter xD)!