1/2

Birthdays

TRIGGER WARNING: ALCOHOL AND DEPRESSION INCLUDED. A BIT OF CURSING AS WELL.

12:06 p.m.  
November 12, 1997 
 
     "Honey! The baby's coming!" A woman in her early twenties shrieked. 
 
     Her husband helped her to the car, leaving their leftover picnic for him to pick up later. He picked up the important things, started the car, and drove out of the park. 
 
     They were still young and still finishing up school. She knew she wasn't ready yet, but there was no doubt she was going to have this baby. 
 
     "Too...early" she grunts through her pants. 
 
     The man messages her hand to calm her down. He turns on the radio and she relaxes slightly. 
 
     Soon, he pulls into the hospital, calling the nurses. 
 
7:12 a.m. 
November 12, 1997 
 
     The young mom sat poking her finger through to touch her baby. Small and weak. 
 
     "Happy birthday, Mina" she said softly. 
 
7 years later... 
11:03 a.m. 
November 12, 2004 
 
     "Omma, omma! I want to buy it myself! PLEEAASE!" Mina shouted. 
 
     Mina grew only slightly compared to her classmates and family. She still looked like a five year old, and that bothered her a lot. Still, she knew in the end it wasn't something she can change. This meant, she had to put up with teasing, bullying, and being trampled in the halls. Her birthday didn't help either. Being younger, even by a few months . While everyone was talking about their 8th birthday, she was still excited on being seven years. 
 
     "Alright. Since it's your birthday. Here" her mom said. 
 
     Her mom pitched in another ₩5,000 won, which made the small girl giggle. Like any other little kid, she wanted to be known as a grown-up. She wanted to do her own thing. She was pretty responsible and acted like a goody-goody which annoyed the other kids. Her mom sat at the picnic table, waiting for her husband to show up to celebrate. Mina marched towards the store when suddenly she was trampled. Again. 
 
     It was no biggy to her, but she soon realized someone was trying to snatch her money. Of course, she had seen this on TV before. So, she tugged back harder, and knocked the boy off balance by pushing him. 
 
     "ARGH!" The boy grunts. He falls on his , but is quick to scramble to his feet. 
 
     "Don't you feel ashamed of yourself?" Mina demands, and pushes the boy on his again. 
 
     "ARGH! You're a bully!" The boy shouted, looking up. 
 
     Mina frowned. "Says the boy who tried to snatch my money" 
 
     The boy looks at his feet, trying to come up with something to say back. 
 
     "Are you going to call the police?" He asks softly. 
 
     Mina raises her eyebrows. "I don't know if they have prison for young boys" 
 
     Before he can retaliate, she pulls him to sit next to her on the curb. 
 
     "You have a dirty face. Really. You do" 
 
     The boy rolled his eyes. "Don't try to be nice. I'm not some charity case" 
 
     "Hmm, what is your name?" 
 
     "...Jungkook" the boy said softly. 
 
     "Well then, Jungkook. My name is Mina. I'm not sure what charity means, but I hear my parents talk about it a lot and they make it sound a lot nicer then you just did" 
 
     Jungkook does a mix of a scoff and a chuckle, which Mina think he's relaxed enough. She places the money in between them and reaches for her purse. He raises his eyebrows. She's distracted. Doesn't that mean he can run? However, Jungkook's feet disobey with his idea and he has a debate on wether to leave this weird girl. 
 
     His opportunity is gone when she turns back. Mina held out a handkerchief and got up, signaling him to follow her. She handed him the money, asking him to hold onto it for her. Mina walks into the convenient store, asking for some ice. She dabs he handkerchief in the ice, getting it moist. Jungkook follows Mina quietly, not knowing what to do. The clerk gives him a meaningful look, and turns back to the magazines. He knows what the clerk means, because he's been here all the time. He's stolen from here as well. 
 
     'Be nice' was what the clerk meant. The girl looked nice and Jungkook knew he wouldn't have the guts to be nasty to her. 
 
     He's taken by surprise when she pressed the soft cloth to his cheek. He dares to peer at her face, and he's met with a concentrated expression. 
 
     "I told you. You have a dirty face. Seriously." Mina said, wiping the dirt and mud off. 
 
     When she withdrew her hand, he couldn't held but touch his cheek where she touched it. Her hand was incredibly soft unlike his mom's sturdy hand. However, she didn't seem to notice his shocked his expression, because she proceeded to lead him out of the store. 
 
     Mina stopped in front of her mom with Jungkook behind her, staring at his feet. He honestly had no idea why this girl he had tried to rob, was being so friendly with him. Was she just trying to humiliate him? 
 
     "Omma" she called, successfully getting the attention. Acting like a princess, Mina nodded rather gracefully. 
 
     "Omma, this is Jungkook." She introduced, and Jungkook nodded.  
 
     Her mother nodded kindly while trying fish her water bottle out and taking a drink, "Nice to meet you, Jungkook" 
 
     "Jungkook here tried to rob me!" 
 
     Not the best way to start off, because Mrs. Nam began to choke. 
 
3:00 a.m. 
August 31, 2005 
 
     They've been very close ever since that encounter; Jungkook and Mina. For the rest of break, they met up at the playground for a play date. Mina never met his parents, and Mrs. Nam explained not to ask unless he wants to tell her. Mina never understood why, but didn't want to question it. 
 
     Mina had been told of Jungkook's birthday rather subtly. He brushed it off in one of their conversations, and she realized he didn't really care about birthdays. She knew it was either because of bad experience, like a birthday party gone wrong. Or, maybe because he never celebrated it big. 
 
     So, she decided she wanted to make it special for him. 
 
     'Going to plan Jungkook's birthday. Don't worry! I will be at the park! 
                         - Mina' 
 
     Deciding her note was well written in her best handwriting, she left through the front door. It was one of those nights where her parents fell into deep sleeps. She left the sticky note on her bedroom door and left with her backpack full of colored paper, crayons, and pencils. 
 
     She had saved up only ₩10,000 won that can get her only one cupcake at the local bakery the was open at this time. Yeah it was rather late, but as much as her mother encouraged that she would have plenty of time in the morning, she just couldn't wait. 
 
     "Aren't you up a little late, young lady?" The old woman - Ms. Kim - asked. She was a sweet old lady and had been the nice young lady who sold after school snacks when Mina's mom was a kid. 
 
     "I'm going to be across the street at the playground to brainstorm. My new friend's birthday is coming!" Mina exclaimed happily taking the cupcake. 
 
     "I'll be looking out for you. But if you get in trouble with your mom, I warned you" 
 
     Mina grins and goes to sit herself on the top of the slid with her legs crossed. In her 7 year old hand writing, she wrote 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUNGKOOK' across the green page in blue crayon. Next, she began to write her letter. 
 
     She knew she couldn't handle a match, so she drew fire and taped it on a candle, sticking it in the chocolate cupcake. Mina was excited to see his reaction, until she heard a sniff followed by a sob. 
 
     She leaned over to see a figure under the light. It was a small figure. Mina squinted and her eyes widened in surprise. 
 
     "Jungkook?" She called, sliding down to the figure. 
 
     The boy jumped in surprise and looked at Mina in shock. He made a look that said 'you-shouldn't-be-here'. 
 
     "What's wrong?" She asks softly, handing him her handkerchief. 
 
     He pushed her hand away, and tries to hide his tears. 
 
     "Nothing. I'm fine. What are you doing out here?" 
 
     Mina frowned. "I don't like it when you lie, Jungkook" 
 
     Jungkook made an irritated face. "It's not your problem, so I don't know why you worry about me" he began to walk away, which made Mina mad. 
 
     "I worry because you're my friend!" She raised her voice, causing him to freeze. 
 
     "Friend..?" 
 
     Mina nodded, but then realized he couldn't see her. "Of course", she mumbled. 
 
     She saw his fist clench by his side, and his head fall forward. He wobbled toward the metal fence, and punched it as hard as he can. Shocked, Mina scrambled to him, falling to her knees next to him. 
 
     "Why are you crying?" He said softly. 
 
     Her soft hands gently held his gingerly. She didn't even realize she was crying herself, but she wiped them away, only for more to fall down her cheeks. She takes out her handkerchief and wipes Jungkook's tears away. 
 
     "I am your friend. I'm going to cry with you, and I care about you. Don't ever hurt yourself" Mina said, causing his eyebrows to raise in confusion. 
 
     It was odd for a someone to ever care for him in that way. No matter how much he pushes her away, she would hold on tight. He knew in the end, she cared for him and he didn't have the heart to push her away. 
 
     For his birthday, they spend a few hours at the park, coloring until the bakery closed. The old woman ushered them home, but when the subject came up, Mina took him to her house to watch movies until morning. 
 
     As she made him laugh loudly for the thousandth time that night, he realized he didn't make a friend. She was officially his best friend. 
 
6:15 p.m. 
November 12, 2007 
 
     They entered school together. 
 
     They were the outsiders. 
 
     However, they weren't totally ignored, but they weren't wildly popular either. They were..in the middle. In a way, Jungkook liked it this way. Yeah, he'd want a few close guy friends, but he knew if he would say something like that out loud, Mina would get sad. 
 
     She felt like she was holding him back on being popular. But, it was the truth. However, the reasons are way different. 
 
     Today, or like any other day, Jungkook waited by the lockers for Mina. She had after school tutoring for science, and he'd often wait for her since his study session would finish earlier. However, she was taking a lot longer today. 
 
     Jungkook was particularly happy because of this special day. It was her birthday and the 3 year anniversary of when they first met. He saved up some money for the bakery after school. 
 
     Impatient, he decided to head to her classroom, only to find it empty. 
 
     "Hey, Sooyeon, did your study session end already? Where's Mina?" He said, quickly stopping a classmate. 
 
     She bit her lip. "Well... I saw the popular girls guiding her outside" 
 
     The next thing he knew, Jungkook stood behind a big crowd. A ring surrounding a couple of popular girls. He pushed through the crowd roughly, gaining nasty look from some upperclassmen. 
 
     Please. Please, please don't be Mina.. 
 
     It was Mina. 
 
     But she wasn't surrounded by a group of girls like he thought. There was only one girl. 
 
     Jung Sojung. 
 
     He raised an eyebrow, because Mina had never said anything about Sojung bothering her or anything. 
 
     But, Mina was fighting back. 
 
     Jungkook surged forward to break it up, but was quickly pushed off by someone else. 
 
     Ahn Jaehyo 
 
     Jungkook sneered at him, and the other glared back. As if in agreement for a fight, Jungkook threw the first punch to the guy's cheek. 
 
     Soon, all 4 were pushed off each other and sent to the principal's office. Filing papers, calling parents, and ice packs were handed out. The 4 were sent to the nurse's office for a little while until their parents were to come pick then up. 
 
     Mina was the first to make eye contact with Sojung. She smirked, but it faltered. Soon the infirmary was filled with laughter from the 4 students and the principal himself couldn't help but laugh as well. 
 
     Some birthday. 
 
7:00 a.m. 
August 31, 2008 
 
     "WAKEUP WAKEUP WAKEUUUUP!" 
 
     Jungkook blinked, rolling onto the floor in alarm, and groaning before turning off the alarm on his phone. Mina had made the alarm herself, and he didn't know how to change it. He got changed, ate breakfast alone in the large home by himself. 
 
     'Hey, hun! Had to get to work! Kimchi pancakes are in the refrigerator! 
                      - Mom' 
 
     Again, he groaned and ate the salty pancakes and headed to the last day of summer school. He was used to people forgetting his birthday, and he tried not to hope Mina would remember. She such a ray of sunshine, and if she forgotten he didn't want to get her upset about not remembering. 
     As he opened the door, he found her waiting by the fence like always. Her earphones her in she let a small smile play on her lips. It were as if she was a model at a photo shoot, because the sunlight hit her perfectly. 
     She turned to catch a glimpse of him and gave him the usual smile and wave. He waved back, and knew she obviously forgot, but it was okay with him. 
 
     "I downloaded Big Bang's new song" she said, giving Jungkook the other earphone. 
 
     They walked to school in peaceful silence, talking about school once in awhile. 
 
     They arrived to school where Sojung and Jaehyo waited, and they all talked. Jungkook spaced out a bit while the girls gossiped and Jaehyo listened. 
 
     "Oh, Kookie, can you meet me at the bakery after school? I wanted to talk to the ahjumma" Mina nudged. Jungkook waved a hand while Mina raised an eyebrow. 
 
     "Can you guys go?" Mina asked. 
 
     "Oh! Um, I can't. Piano practice" Sojung shrugged.  
 
     "Taking my little brother to a doctors appointment" Jaehyo said smoothly. 
 
     Jungkook continued to look off into space, trying not to feel too disappointed. He knew if he spent the afternoon with Mina, she'd try to crack him. 
 
 
     "Are you mad at Mina?" Jaehyo asked. 
 
     It was break time, and the two boys always waited for the girls. It's always been silent during these moments, since they've never been that close. He was a little surprised Jaehyo even talked to him anyway. 
 
     "What?" 
 
     Jaehyo chuckled. "It's pretty obvious, man." 
 
     Jungkook stares at Jaehyo's side profile for a moment before staring ahead. 
 
     "I'm not mad. Just... Annoyed I guess." He muttered, kicking the rocks. 
 
     Jaehyo shrugged. "I dunno. But you like her right?" 
 
     "HUH?" 
 
     "Just saying, if you want to get with her, another guy is planning to ask her out. Mina is the girl that's way too nice. She might say yes" 
 
     Great, Jungkook thinks, another thing to worry about. 
 
     Before he can ask details, the girls walk up. Sojung pulls Jaehyo to walk with her, but he gives Jungkook a warning look before walking off. 
 
 
     It was true. Jaehyo was late, however. 
 
     The guy's name was Jongup, and he was a year above them, and he had asked her out during study hall. She was unsure of it, but agreed. 
 
     It was nothing serious according to Jaehyo, because the guy was too shy, and Mina planned to break it off soon. 'Just middle school relationship' was what Sojung added. 
 
     The boyfriend added on to the things Jungkook was annoyed at on his birthday. 
 
     "Are you mad at me?" Mina asked through the silence.  
 
     Today, he'd space out a lot and rejected the earphone when she'd hand it to him. He refused to study together during independent study and walked around campus ignoring everyone. 
 
     "Huh? Oh, no" he said, turning his head. 
 
     "Admit it! You're mad" she pries. 
 
     "No I'm not" 
 
     "Then why are you avoiding me?" 
 
     "You forgot what today was! What's today, Mina?" 
 
     "Your birthday, idiot" 
 
     "...oh" he said, and suddenly his shoes look very interesting. 
 
     She pushed the door open, and she takes the big cupcake and sings to him. 
 
     "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear babo, Kookie! Happy birthday to you!" 
 
     She took a big part of the frosting and smooths it over his face. Sojung and Jaehyo are laughing with the rest of the audience. 
 
     He gives her an annoyed look and Mina laughs. 
 
     "You love me~~" she said in a singsong voice and skips to their table. 
 
     "Yeah" he said under his breath, and proceeds to follow her. 
 
12:23 a.m. 
August 31, 2011 
 
     "Happy birthday" 
 
     Jungkook leaned over to check his clock and returned his attention to Mina's voice again. He grinned. 
 
     "Thanks. Can you believe it's been 7 years since we've met?" He chuckled, leaning back on his bed. 
 
     "Remember when you got a splinter from the tanbark?" 
 
     "Hey! I landed on my hand and feet. Of course I'd have splinters!" He defended. 
 
     Mina laughed softly on the end of the other line.  
 
     "Hey. Can I come over?" 
 
     Jungkook sat up. "Now?" 
 
     "I mean, I don't have to. Just a question. I just--" 
 
     "Sure" 
 
     "Thanks" she sighed in relief. 
 
     Jungkook knew why, so she didn't have to explain. Her parents were going through a divorce and the sad reality was that they had no time to stress and worry about her anymore. Even if she's only 13, she's practically an adult. Feeding herself, saving up money, and getting anywhere by herself. 
 
     It was a lonely reality. 
 
     They hung up, and she knocked on the door 15 minutes later wearing a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants. 
 
     It was her first time at his house, and it was a nice and cosy place. As she stepped into the apartment, she realized she didn't know if his parents were home or not. 
 
     "My parents are like never home. They have night shifts so they're only here in the afternoon" he said, reading her mind. She notices a pinch of bitterness in his voice, but decides not to say anything. 
 
     Mina nods and sits herself on the couch while he ventures to the kitchen and comes back with a class of milk. He turns on the TV and they watch in silence. He glances at her and knows she's thinking about her parents again, and he sighs. 
 
     "Hey.. Do you wanna hear a secret?" 
 
     She doesn't say anything, but turns to him. 
 
     "Promise not to tell?" He says, sticking out his pinky. 
 
     She laughs and intertwined their pinkies. "Of course. You can tell me anything" 
 
     He took a deep breath. "I want to be an idol" 
 
     Mina smiled. "Really?" 
 
     He nodded nervously and she grins. 
 
     "I will buy every album you put out" 
 
     He grins in excitement, and she meant every word. Sometimes she notices stuff about him that's idol like. Not to mention he's incredibly talented; any company would take him. 
 
     "Okay, my turn" 
 
     They intertwine pinkies again, and he nodded. 
 
     "I want to be a music producer" 
 
     He smiled. "Well, I'll perform every song" 
 
     Mina took a deep breath and squeezed his hand, which made a shiver go down his spine. She was getting more attractive by the day and he had to get those kind of thoughts out of his head. 
 
     The door suddenly opened, revealing a boy she assumed who was Jungkook's older brother and parents. Letting go of his hand, Mina automatically stood up and bowed. Jungkook sat on the couch, expressionless. 
 
     Mrs. Jeon gave Mina a disapproving looking look, which made Mina more self conscious. She tries to seem unfazed by it by smiling. 
 
     "Hello" Mina says rather nervously, shifting uneasily under Mrs. Jeon's gaze. 
 
     "Who's this?" Mrs. Jeon asked. 
 
     Jungkook lets out a sigh full of annoyance and attitude. "I told you before. I even showed you a picture. Mina. Nam Mina" 
 
     "Oh, right. Her" Mrs. Jeon said, but by the tone of her voice that she didn't  remember at all or she didn't care. 
 
     "Mina, would you stay for a snack?" Mr. Jeon said kindly. "I would say dinner, but you probably ate already" 
 
     Mina chuckled and nodded. "I'd love to" 
 
     
     She stayed for a little bit, chatting with Mr. Jeon about school and to Jungkook's brother, Jung Hyun. Mrs. Jeon stood by with a annoyed look on her face which Mina glanced at worriedly once in awhile. 
 
     Jungkook sits next to her, giving his mom warning looks once in awhile. 
 
     When he thinks nobody is looking, he squeezes Mina's hand comfortably. 
 
     She smiles and squeezes back. 
 
11:24 p.m. 
November 12, 2012 
 
     When Jungkook left, Mina began falling down the wrong path. 
 
     It was more of a tug-o-war between the party crowd and Sojung and Jaehyo. The crowd eventually became stronger while Sojung and Jaehyo got weaker. In the end, her two friends lost the fight. 
 
     After Jungkook left to Seoul with his aunt, Mina was determined to prove to him she'll be fine independently. That determination was swept away after being invited to her first party. A house party full of people she didn't know. 
 
     Under the pounding music, and alcohol, Mina felt rushed. It was the best feeling in her life despite the hangover the day after. Her parents didn't notice anyway, so everything worked out. 
 
     Sojung went to the first party with her friend, but didn't find the pounding music comforting at all. She saw her friend changing, and no matter what, Mina didn't admit anything. 
 
     "Hey, Jungkook" Sojung calls him one night. 
 
     He's panting on the other end, but he seemed happy. "Hey what's up?" 
 
     She's hesitant. She feels like it's the right thing, but she knew Mina would kill her for this. 
 
     "What's something you and Mina hated the most about other teenagers?"
 
     "How they partied all the time..?" 
 
     "And..?" 
 
     "Underage drinking?" 
 
     Sojung nodded in satisfaction. "And guess what Mina's doing right now?" 
 
     "Missing me?" He said chuckling. 
 
     "Uh, yeah.. Just call her okay?" 
 
     Jungkook rolled his eyes and decided to call anyway. He hasn't had time to call and she hasn't been responding to his texts anymore. He doesn't want to admit that they've been drifting. However, they both knew it was happening. 
 
     A new reminder popped up on his phone, causing his eyes to widen and for him to curse under his breath. 
 
     'MINNIE'S BIRTHDAYY ^ - ^ ㅋㅋ' 
 
 
     Mina arrived in a tan long sleeve crop top, a high-low black skirt, and a beanie. As soon as she walked in, a light shown on her, causing the crowd to cheer. 
 
     "AYYEE THE BIRTHDAY GIRL IS HERE" someone she probably didn't even know, shouted. 
 
     But, she went with it. "LETS PARTY" she shouted. The crowd roared back, and the DJ turned up the volume. A couple of classmates came by with some drinks. Sooyoung, a party girl herself, clinked glasses with Mina, and they dumped it down their throats. 
 
     "I'm gonna go dance" Mina makes the mistake of telling Sooyoung. The girl doesn't even spare her a glance, and walks in another direction. Reality weighed on her shoulders as she realized she had no real friends here. 
 
     No, she thought, don't think that stupid immature stuff now. 
 
     Mina's offered another shot and she gladly takes it while strutting to the dance floor, leaving her purse on the couch. She gets lost in the music and gets offered more shots for being the birthday girl. 
 
     It's okay, she tries to reassure herself, Jungkook's having fun without me. I should have some fun too. 
 
     Mina's lying to herself, because she can't help but get bitter in the middle of the song. She looses interest, and runs to the bathroom and locks it. She trips over her own feet getting to the toilet and forcing herself to throw it all up. Mina sits on the floor, alone crying and wishing she had the guts to call one of her real friends. 
 
     One of her real friends call her, but is greeted by a different voice. 
 
     "Hellooo?" A tipsy voice calls. 
 
     Jungkook raises his eyebrows. "Who's this?" 
 
     The guy leans back on the couch. "AH! IT'S JUNGKOOK! WADUP, IT'S CHA JONGHYUN FROM YOUR HOMEROOM IN MIDDLE SCHOOL" 
 
     "Uh-huh. I remember. Look--" 
 
     "Yeah, yeah. I heard you're a trainee in Seoul! Good for you, bro. Gonna come back and show off to your ex? Because she's right over there--" 
 
     "WHERE'S MINA??" 
 
     "OOH! THE BIRTHDAY GIRL! THE PAARRTY ANIMAL!" Jonghyun screams. 
 
     "Where. Is. She." Jungkook demands. 
 
     "Uh hold on -- YO! SOOYOUNG! WHERE'S THE BIRTHDAY GIRL!?" 
 
     Sooyoung gives him a shrug and going Jonghyun mocks her. 
 
     "Look, man. She got lost in the crowd or somethin'. Just call her back tomorro-- OH WAIT! MINA! SOMEONE CALLED YOU" 
 
     Mina took her purse and her phone and stepped outside for a moment. Feeling dizzy, she leaned over the rail and looked out over the beach. 
 
     "Hello?" She said into the phone. 
 
     "Nam. Mina. What the hell?!" Jungkook shouted, getting weird looks from the other trainees. He quickly stepped outside. 
 
     "Jungkook. I'm busy right now, okay? So--" 
 
     "UH WHAT?! No calls. No texts. Not even emails. You have my aunt's address SO WHAT ABOUT LETTERS" he shouted. 
 
     "WHY DO YOU CARE ALL OF A SUDDEN?! HUH? NO ONE GIVES A DAMN SO ALL OF THE SUDDEN SOMEONE DOES?! HAVE FUN IN SEOUL AND DON'T BOTHER COMING BACK" 
 
     "WHY DO I CARE?! I CARE BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT YOU!" 
 
     Mina feels like throwing up, because the alcohol is setting in. She panted and tried to hold back the tears. 
 
     "Just don't call me anymore" she let the forbidden words go past her lips. 
 
     "No. You are my best friend, and we've been together since we were kids. At the age of 7, I was writing suicide letters, okay? And then I met you. You are the reason I wake up in the morning." 
 
     "I don't have any reason. I can never be a music producer. I'll never get to Seoul. I'm going to work as an office worker with an alcohol addiction and die without anyone caring" 
 
     "Then come to Seoul. You'll have opportunities. Plenty. You're an amazing songwriter" 
 
     "I'm too young. I have no experience" 
 
     "So do I. But I'm still training. You have to keep trying" 
 
     Mina took a deep breath, sitting on the sidewalk. "I'm sorry" 
 
     "What's wrong?" 
 
     "I don't know. I just really need someone to talk to." 
 
     "I'm all ears" 
 
     Mina smiled, hugging her knees. "Thank you, Kookie" 
 
     "Happy birthday, Mina" 
 
12:36 p.m. 
August 21, 2013 
(A week before Jungkook's birthday) 
 
     Mina was getting better. 
 
     It wasn't right away, but she got better and better. She got a part time job at radio stations or being a DJ. Mina began writing songs once more and saved up for a computer and keyboard to come up with her own music. 
 
     She hung out with real friends like Sojung and Jaehyo, with new friends like Hana, Kimiko, and Daehyun. They were supportive and had similar dreams of making it big in Seoul. Sojung wanted to follow her sister as an idol as well as Daehyun and Jaehyo. Kimiko wanted to be an artist while Hana wished to be a logo designer or open up an arts shop. 
 
     Mina sat in the same bakery from her childhood. She had recently found out the old woman died, and her daughter and husband took over the business. 
 
     "How's your mom?" Eunhee - the owner - asked. 
 
     "She's okay, getting better. Now that dad's gone. She's getting less stressed out and I'm not sure how I should tell her. " 
 
      Soon, attention was attracted to a new customer, so she stood up. Mina stood up as well. 
 
     Mrs. Jeon. 
 
     "Hi" Mina said quietly. 
 
     "May I sit?" Mrs. Jeon asked politely, and she nods. 
 
     Both ladies sit down, and Mrs. Jeon suddenly nodded. 
 
     "You're the right one" 
 
     "Excuse me?" 
 
     "The right one fit to stand by Jungkook's side" 
 
     "Eh?" 
 
     "Young lady, I disapproved of you when you first showed up. You weren't confident and it was obvious you couldn't be independent" Mrs. Jeon explained. 
 
     Mina's eyes widen, but she let the woman finish. 
 
     "I'm sure you had thought about my son in that way at least once" Mina blushed. "Anyhow, you really matured, and I think you're the one for him" 
 
     "With all due respect, Mrs. Jeon, I think you have the wrong girl. I mean I thought about Jungkook in that way, but he's an idol, a rookie even. I can't just declare my love for him and expect him to choose me over his career. I'm working on my own as well" 
 
     Mrs. Jeon smiled. "If it's really love, you'll be able to wait on him and he'll be able to wait on you. Love shouldn't be rushed either." 
 
7:00 p.m. 
August 31, 2013 
 
     BTS quietly filed into the meeting room, some members trying to hide their goofy smiles for the hidden camera. The clueless maknae was secretly given the middle chair. 
 
     "Alright, boys. We are gonna monitor your last few stages, arraso?" The manager called. 
 
     "Ne!" 
 
     Jungkook smiled. He had received a few birthday texts, and he realized he took his family's company by granted. He missed having them around. Especially Mina. She was doing better according to her texts, and was studying harder. She thankfully stuck to music. 
     He got along with his hyungs as well. They were goofy and can be serious when they needed to, and they gave him great advice. He was the youngest of the trainees, so he received a lot of love. 
     When he heard his hyung's voices, he chuckled. One by one, each member delivered their own little speech about the "baby growing up". He laughed as if embarrassed, causing Hoseok to grin. 
 
     "Yah! I put a lot of thought into that!" He complained, clasping the Maknae's shoulder affectionately. 
 
     "You better not laugh at mine, brat" Jimin threatened. 
 
     It were as if Jimin's threat didn't matter as Jungkook thought it was hilarious. Jimin gave an offended look to Jungkook, and another to the camera, emphasizing his hurt. 
     Jungkook looked at the door afterwards, waiting for the cake, but was surprised to see another face. It almost made him burst into tears. 
 
     "My baby!" His mother cooed on the screen, causing his hyungs to erupt in laughter. 
 
     Jungkook sat forward, practically laying on the table. His teary eyes were noticed by his hyungs, and Hoseok patted his back. Nobody can seriously make fun of him, as each member missed their family. 
 
     "Are you doing well? I'm thinking of visiting, and I'm worried I might embarrass you with my dialect" Mrs. Jeon rambled, causing him to groan quietly. 
 
     "You're making him cry" a hushed voice said, but he was unable to make out the voice. 
 
     Soon, his mother was shooed out of the screen by his father. Mrs. Jeon made an offended look, exclaiming dramatically that her own husband had been so disrespectful. Their little joke got Jungkook to wipe away his tears and laugh with the members and managers watching. 
 
     "AH! My son! I bought your album" Mr. Jeon said holding it up, "But, I needed Mina to help me play it. You look very different here!" The man exclaimed, holding up the photo book. 
 
     Mr. Jeon wrinkled his nose, "I KNOW! Jeeze, let me talk to my son... Indirectly - but that's not the point. Jungkookie! Make sure to eat well and take care of yourself" 
 
     Again, Mr. Jeon was pushed off by Jung hyun, who grinned at the camera and shrugged. 
 
     "Your parents are cute" Yoongi pointed out. 
 
     "Oh~ I miss my Hyung.." Seokjin muttered. 
 
     Jung hyun sat their awkwardly. "Heh, what do I say? We're a bit awkward, right? But if I come visit Seoul one day you better take time off and show me around!" 
 
     "Ah! They're making me cry.." Jungkook says under his breath. 
 
     The video suddenly cuts to a different background, and there's Mina's close face on the screen. Her face is concentrated and cutely scrunched up. Her hair is dyed lighter, and she was dressed in warm clothes. 
 
     "You should've dressed nicer!" Jung Hyun was saying. 
 
     Mina stuck out her tongue, while the members laughed at that. Mina wasn't unfamiliar to them because of how much they texted. 
 
     "It's.. On! Should I start first?", she said cutely, "Anyway, Kookieee! We all miss you back at Busan and I hope you're doing well in Seoul! I want to ask the your members to talk in satori if Kookie is homesick. Ah.. What else? I had this whole speech, but I don't remember what else.." 
 
     "Lets just start" Jung Hyun said, sitting on the stool, holding a guitar. 
 
     Mina pouted at Jung Hyun's rushed attitude. "Okay, I've asked all your cousins, aunts, uncles about how they felt when you've been gone. I made this song." 
 
     At this point, Jungkook was practically sobbing. 
 
     "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEON JUNGKOOK!" They said together. 
 
     Jung Hyun began strumming, and Mina sang. 
 
Hi, how have you been
We’ve done this together
But I’m here you are there
We’re officially missing you guys
Listen
One by one, they left my side
And we’ll probably meet someone new
Oh please tell me why’d you have to go
Cause this pain I feel it won’t go away
I thought I wouldn’t be sad at all but traces of you still remain
At memories of us laughing and crying together, today I’m officially missing you
Ooh can’t nobody do it like you
Said every little thing you do
Hey baby, said it stays on my mind
And I-I’m officially missing you
I’m officially missing you
All the past memories – since the summer to the now cold today,
We all dreamed of one wish together
Since we had the same path, our hearts grew deeper for each other
Even if things didn’t go well, we peacefully fell asleep at night
The lonely air is chasing out the warmth that once filled the rooms
Along with the scent of the songs that we all gathered and sang together
Yeah I’m officially missing them, I’m officially missing you
Well I thought I could just get over you – your name tag is still on the door
But I see that’s something I just can’t do – the music signs are still drawn on the practice sheets
For now, you have left with sadness but someday, I hope you will rise again with that one dream
All I hear is raindrops falling on the rooftop
Oh baby tell me why’d you have to go
‘Cause this pain I feel it won’t go away, and today
Ooh can’t nobody do it like you
Said every little thing you do
Hey baby, said it stays on my mind
And I’m officially missing you
Ooh can’t nobody do it like you
Said every little thing you do
Hey baby, said it stays on my mind
And I’m officially
One by one, they left my side
And we’ll meet someone new
 
     As Mina got off her stool and ran up to the camera, her teary eyes were visible to everyone. Despite her tears, she glared playfully into the camera. "Yah, you better have cried! That took me all night" 
 
     "We miss you!" Jung Hyun called before the screen became dark. 
 
     Jungkook ended up sobbing into his hyung's arms and calling home right away. 

A/N: DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THIS TOOK ME?!

BUT, next chapter coming up!!