Too Late

I want to be Your Idol

 “Yah, are you even paying attention to me? You know we have this huge test tomorrow and you are doing nothing to prepare for it? What are you doing anyways?” Baekhyun groaned from the kitchen table as he stared at you on the living room couch staring at your laptop screen, biting your lip as you followed the latest episode of “It's Okay, That's Love”. “Don't tell me that you're watching that lame drama again. You can't be serious. How long is that stupid thing anyway?” he sighed, exasperated.

“It's not stupid! It's the most beautiful drama on Earth,” you refuted as soon as a lame commercial flashed. Most of the time, you hated Viki's ever so convenient placements of commercials during the most intriguing parts, but this time, you sighed a sigh of relief, glad that you could get a few words in to your annoying but equally as wonderful best friend, who continued to stare at you, eyebrow raised.

“And what makes it so special? The fact that you're going to fail the test tomorrow because you'd rather follow some thirty something year old man across a screen instead of read the last few chapters of this book? Oh, I'm so sure that the teacher will find that waste of time particularly meritorious,” he huffed sarcastically, wanting desperately for you to be back at his side instead of ogling over another male.

“Hey, hey, hey, he may be old, but he is gorgeous and plus, what's the harm? You know that I don't study anyhow. I just waste time making sure that you get it. You know that studying and I have never mixed. I mean for Pete's sake, it has the word “dying” in it. If I'm going to do any dying, it'll be dying of feels over Author Jang. He;s so dreamy,” you sighed wistfully, eyes twinkling as you thought of his chocolate brown eyes staring at only you and his signature smirk making your heart melt, just in time for the show to resume. Excited, you returned your focus to the screen, wondering what was going to come next.

“What's so special about Author Jang?” he sneered. “It's not like he's real or anything,” he added insolently. You froze, your mind blank as you tried processing what he said as if he said that a loved one of yours had died. You quickly paused the video and gently set your laptop o your side, only to spring up from your seat, mouth agape.

“What did you just say?” you challenged, wondering if he had the gall to repeat himself. Usually, he respected your slight obsessions with other Korean men and idols, but this time, he had gone too far. “What did you say?” you repeated after moments of silence. He only shrugged and returned to reading his book, debating whether or not to continue the argument. “Don't ever say he's not real again. I may not marry Author Jang, but I will marry Zo In Sung one day. At least I don't ogle over Taeyeon,” you scoffed before flopping back down on the couch, about to resume your show. Moments passed, you fully immersed in the hilarious but charming banter among the main female and Author Jang, wishing that they would just confess their feelings already before you noticed Baekhyun hovering over you before he snatched away your laptop and placed it on the coffee table. “What the hell do you think that you’re doing Baekhyun?” you shrieked before he tackled you, pinning you down onto the soft cushions of the couch, his eyes full of fire as he stared down at you. “Oh, are you angry that I insulted your oh so precious Taeyeon? What? Did I strike a nerve because I know that your kkaepsong dorky self won't get a girl like her?” you challenged, pouting mockingly. He bit his lip, never one to use violence, though the position now made your heart beat wildly, half out of fear and half out of something that you couldn't quite determine.

“Don't you ever insult Taeyeon again, but at least I know the difference between reality and fantasy. I know that I won't marry her, and honestly, I don't really want to because I know somewhere out there, perhaps right in front of me, there is a girl hat I want more and that can offer much more than she ever could. I don't go wasting my time on fantasies, I spend my time trying to make my real dreams come true. You should grow up and do the same,” he sneered, his eyes starting to water slightly. You gulped, wondering what feeling had suddenly overcome him and where this passion was coming from since he was usually the adorably obnoxious and flamboyant, Byun Baekhyun, the same Baekhyun that usually had not a care in the world and was always smiling-or smirking.

“Baekhyun?” you whispered, still somewhat frightened as he climbed off of you and made his way back to the kitchen table seconds later. You sat up, staring at him, wide eyed, as he buried his nose in the book and refused to look at you. His heart was breaking, but all you saw was an upset puppy. His dreams were shattering, but all you thought was that a simple hug and sweet words would make him feel slightly better. Worried, you got up and scuttled to the kitchen, figuring that ice cream would be the best solution to ease he tension. Minutes later, you emerged from the kitchen, a single bowl of butter pecan ice cream and a spoon in your hands. “Baekhyun, take a break. I got your favorite ice cream. C'mon, you have to forgive me. I'll even feed you,” you coaxed softly, sitting across from him, wondering when his shell would break. He still refused to look at you. Sighing, you turned to the last resort and got up and waked behind him, only to wrap your arms across his chest and rest your chin on his shoulder, something you both did often when the other was upset beyond basic resolution. “Baekhyun, I'm sorry I insulted Taeyeon. I know how much she means to you and yes, you're right, sometimes, I fangirl a little too much. It's just that other than you, I have no other guys in my life and sometimes, I want my life to be a drama with all the romance and surprise kisses and stuff like that. I'm a hopeless romantic. Can you really blame me?” you chuckled nervously, nuzzling your nose in his neck, hoping he would accept your heartfelt apology. Unable to resist your warm embrace, he set his book down and sighed.

“________, I understand that you like the stuff you see in the dramas, but you can't always mold your life after a story, because in the end, it won't be your story, but only a dream you failed to reach. We don't want you dying alone because you set your standards too high. And think of it this way, you may be a hopeless romantic, but it's better than being simply hopeless, loving someone who loves someone else,” he explained, placing his hand over yours, a sign that he accepted your apology.

“You're right, I can't make everything like a drama, but I can feed you ice cream like they do in the dramas. That's always so cute,” you squealed. “How about it?' you beamed brightly. He cracked a quick smile before nodding excitedly, moving over to the next chair so he could take a bite of the delicious treat. “I said I was going to feed you. It's part of my apology, silly so let me do it,” you insisted, sitting across from him and scooping a generous spoonful and placing it near his lips. “Oh, so now you don't want it?” you smirked as he pursed his lips closed playfully. “Fine, I'll eat it,” you scoffed, turning the spoon back towards yourself before his hand jetted out to grab your own. Your heart skipped a beat at the sudden gesture as you stared at him.

“Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know that this hand grab always happens in like every drama- I think it's like a requirement or something- so I wanted to try it out and it apparently works in stunning the girl,” he chuckled, releasing your wrist. “Alright, I'm ready,” he giggled, mouth wide open as he waited for the frozen cream to pass through his lips.

“Aish, Byun Baekhyun, you scared me! Don't do that again. You're not from the dramas. You have no right to do that,” you huffed, trying desperately to regain your composure. In the few seconds that he stared at you, your heart had beat frantically and your mind went blank as you imagined you actually were in a drama.

“I don't? Oh, so I have to be tall and handsome and strong and an arrogant prick to do that, is that it? I don't have the right because I'm just a normal boy who wants to have a little fun with my best friend? I can't do that because I'm not someone who already has the girl or that is so confident that he can get the girl? Well, sorry to disappoint, but I'll never be that way. I'll never be that guy and I'm sorry for just having a little fun,” he ranted, jumping up from his seat and storming towards the door, completely disregarding his books still left on the table.

“Baekhyun!” you called, scrambling from your seat to try to stop him from leaving as he slipped on his shoes.

“I simply don't have the right. Sorry I'm such a disappointment, but no worries, if we were in a drama, I would just be the best friend so I'll get over this by tomorrow, right? But since I'm not the main lead, I can't have my own type of fun? Don't worry, I see how it is. I'll just be the best friend. I'll see you tomorrow. Good luck on your test,” he grumbled as he strutted out the door and to his car parked in front of the house. You stared at him, your heart breaking since you knew you had hurt a friend. He didn't once turn back to look at you as he drove away, his eyes watering as he went. Depressed, you trudged back inside and flopped on the couch and stared up at the ceiling, wondering what you had done wrong. You loved Baekhyun like a brother and never saw him as anything else. By no means was he a dashing lead male with a smirk to die for, an arrogant attitude that hid the soft interior, or a gorgeous body. He was just a friend that had always been by your side and you hoped would always be by your side. You had no idea why he was so offended. So, he wasn't someone from a drama, but that didn't mitigate how important he was to you. He was your closest guy friend,, your best friend, and you could always go to him when you needed help. You usually were so kind to each other, respectful of each other's respective loves, so why was he so upset? Remembering the ice cream still set on the table, you dragged yourself up to either finish it or dump it in the trash. Sitting down and lazily swallowing mouthful after mouthful of the sweet solid, you stared at his things he had left on the table. You sighed, noticing how messy it looked and, after finishing your ice cream, you rose to straighten it up because you were going to, of course, return it to him tomorrow. As you packed away his books and paper, you noticed a small, folded heart fall out of one of his books. Unable to resist and knowing the two of you held no secrets from each other, you decided to read the perfectly folded note.

 

 

I am hopeless. I stare at you and want you, but you can never be mine. You belong to someone else, someone I can never meet, can never be. I want to be all that you desire. I want to be the one you lust after, not just the one you love. I want to be the one you adore, not the one that adores you. I want to be the one you say you love, not the one who has to live with the hurt of loving you. I want to be the one that you stare at, not the one who deals with the pain of staring at you. I want to be your idol. I want to be the lead actor in your play of life. I want to be your romance, your comedy, your drama. I want to love you. Do you love me?

 

Finally realizing the source of his pent up aggression, you quickly pulled out your phone to text him. You would be more than happy to help him with his female troubles, after playfully scolding him for not telling you first.

 

Hey, buddy, you don't have to be so mad anymore. I know why you were so upset and I am so sorry that I didn't figure it out before.

 

His heart raced as he stared at the text, dumbfounded. How could you have known already? He always thought he had been so discrete with his feelings, but his mind went blank as he contemplated the possibility of you knowing his secret. His thumbs fumbled as he tried to think of what to respond without incriminating himself in any way. He had to stay calm, like he always prided himself on doing.

 

What do you mean? I told you that I was going to be over it by tomorrow. I'm fine. You don;t have to worry about me.

 

Of course I do. You were so shy. Why didn't you just tell me that you had a crush on someone? I'm your best friend and you didn't tell me?! But by the sound of it, she must be a fangirl just like me. Don't worry, I can teach you how to get through one of those. We are much easier than you think... at least the ones who know the difference between reality and fantasy. Tell me, does this special girl know the difference?

 

His heart stopped beating as he read, reread, and reread again the text. It was clear that you didn't know, but he had to know the simple secret to unlocking a fangirl's heart. He was desperate since his secret had already been partially spilled. Out of ideas and desperately wanting to rid himself of the burden of showering someone with one sided love, he decided to reply, though his fingers were shaking violently with every letter he typed.

 

I like to think that she does, but sometimes, I just don't know. I want her to like me, too, but all she likes is the idols and I just can't be them. There's gotta be a way to get through to her. Can you help me?

 

Of course. You want to come back over tomorrow night? I can run you through the basics of how to attract a drama fangirl.

 

That sounds great. Do you really think that I'm good enough though?

 

You're a smart bunny and I must say that you're pretty handsome. You can learn these things so easily and then you will have her. I promise. She would be a fool not to fall in love with you.

 

Thanks so much. I hope this works.

 

No problem, but no more hiding things from me~

 

Of course not, I'll tell you everything tomorrow, I promise. :)

 

Good, well I have to clean up, so I'll talk to you tomorrow and again, I am so sorry for making you upset. Never again. Forgive me? ^ ^

 

Of course :) Love you~

 

Love you, too. Bye~

 

He threw his phone on the couch, frustrated with just those four words. He flopped down on the couch, dejectedly, his head in his hands as he thought and thought about what you had said. How he wished that you really did love him, that your heart thumped when you saw him the same way his did when he saw you, that you couldn't live without him, that you saw him more as just a playful companion. He had often been called your poodle due to his flamboyant but playful nature and chemistry with you, but he didn't want to be treated as one. He loved the time he spent with you and was grateful for every second, but he wanted more; he had wanted more for more than three years since the two of you met in tenth grade. He was hoping that now that the two of you were in college, he would be able to change the way you viewed him, but his heart continued to break whenever you talked about another idol or actor. He had endured the pain of loving you for too long and he was desperate, desperate to make you finally mean those two words.

 

 

You woke up the next day, your heart racing, though for what, you knew not. You simply knew that there was something to be excited for today, whether it be helping your best friend get the girl of your dreams, or doing well on your test that you completely forgot about. He rolled out of bed, anxious, his palms already sweating as he thought about tonight. He would finally learn what it took to have you and he would utilize it to the best of his abilities to finally ask you to be his girlfriend. He realized his three long years of waiting was going to culminate with a simple “yes” or “no” tonight. He didn't want to be disappointed, but knew he would probably fail. His hands shook as he dressed himself, his mind was blank as he drove to school, and he froze when he saw you approaching with his stuff.

“Well hi, there,” you beamed brightly as you trotted towards him. “What happened to you? You look like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. What? Do you see that special girl that has your heart beating so loudly that I can hear it today? Can I meet her just so I know what to teach you later?” you bombarded him with questions as you wrapped your arms around his neck for a quick hug.

“What are the top dramas and where do I find them?” he blurted out without thinking, catching you off guard.

“What? You don't watch dramas, why?”

“Because, I just need to know,” he asserted boldly. “So you don't have to teach me as much later,” he chuckled softly, trying not to sound so intense.

“Well, I don't really have any favorites, but if you want to get a head start on learning what to do, there's this one video that has the top drama male lead moves that eventually got them the girl. It's on youtube so just search it. Wow, someone seems super eager. You must really really like this girl,” you smirked. He tensed at the last sentence, his heart threatening to escape his rib cage with how hard it was thumping. “Ah, are we still on for coffee later after the test? Even if we fail- which you won't since you studied your off last night- it'll be a celebratory drink. How about it?”

“Oh, uh, yeah, coffee,” he stammered.

“Are you okay? Dude, seriously, if it's about the test, you'll do fine. You're like the smartest person I know. If it's about the girl, no worries, I am always by your side and will help you out every step of the way,” you assured him. “Promise me you will relax, especially for our coffee outing,” you urged before grabbing him for another quick hug and a quick peck on the cheek. His cheeks flushed red, though you had exchanged supportive pecks from time to time. “Seriously, calm down. You're already amazing. But ah, I have to get to class. I'll see you next class~” you chimed before jogging towards your class, leaving him in the shade of the trees while his heart plummeted into the shade of confusion.

Wasting no time, he rushed to class, only to whip out his iPad to watch the video you had suggested. As if he were listening intently to a lecture, he took detailed notes on just how these fictional characters could so perfectly attract the woman of their dreams. He wanted-needed- to be like them, adapt their charm and make it his own. He was doing all of this for you and only you. Whatever you liked, he wanted to be and wanted to be better than. As the professor droned on about information he had already mastered, all he thought about was your smile and the way your lips would feel against his own when he crashed them against yours in a surprise like so many of the characters he had stuied had done. Finally, after countless silent recitations of what to do, the class ended and he strolled to his next class, Biology, and waited for you, his heart racing.

“Hey, someone looks better already. You really did calm down,” you chuckled when ou saw him, completely unaware of his internal anxiety that he was trying so hard to quell.

“Yeah, well, actually, I watched that video you showed me and, for some reason, it got me to calm down. It wasn't so bad. I was worried for nothing. I think this girl will like all the effort I put in for her,” he smirked.

“Th-that's good,” you stuttered, staring at his brilliant smirk and the way his perfectly pink lips curled.

“Are you alright? Maybe, you should take your own advice and relax. Come here,” he cooed, crooking his fingers for you to move closer to him. You stooped so that you were eye level with him and you were staring into the beautiful dark brown orbs that twinkled like the stars. You couldn't help it, but your heart began to thump loudly as he reached out to cup the smooth skin of your cheek, his eyes never leaving yours. “You're so pretty, _________, and a pretty face like yours shouldn't be tainted with worry. Do me a favor and smile for me like you always do,' he urged, slight smile marking his handsome features. Instead of smiling, you blushed, for the first time since you had met him. “Why are you blushing? Did I say something?” he asked innocently, smirk on his face betraying his sweet act. Unable to form coherent words, you shook your head and scrambled to your seat to prepare for the test, trying your best to banish any thoughts of Baekhyun as anything more than a big brother away, though his smirk and loving were plastered onto your eyelids and you couldn't help but to think of him. Eventually, the test began and the words on your paper seemed to scramble into “love” or “him” or simply “Baekhyun”. You tried your best to focus, but to no avail. With time running out and realizing you had only answered about 75% of the test, you gambled and picked random answers that remotely made sense.

“Ah, how did you do, genius?” Baekhyun smiled as the tests were being collected. You couldn 't speak. You couldn't think. “Look, I'm sure you did fine so c'mon, let's go get that coffee,” he grinned, helping you pack away your things, only to grab your hand firmly and lead you outside. “It's so pretty out here but you're prettier. Heaven is where you are,_______,” he complimented as the two of you strolled to the campus coffee shop. “What do you want? I'll buy it for you, princess,” he asked once the two of you stood in line.

“J-Just get our usual,” you managed, your mind still scrambled. You figured he was just practicing with you, but, surprisingly, a part of you wanted it to be real, wished that he was saying and doing all of this for you and only you. He was simply too good at it otherwise. He didn't even need the practice or he had learned exceptionally quickly. “Ah, why did you only get one?” you asked as the barista handed him the mocha caramel frappuccino.

“Because we're going to share, pahbo. It's not like we haven't shared before. Plus, neither of us need a whole cup of caffeine. You know how crazy I get with too much coffee. It's almost as crazy as I go over you,” he complimented with a signature smile. “How am I doing so far? Am I on the right track with all of this romance stuff?” he asked, walking you hand in hand to a seat and then pulling it out for you.

“Yeah, I'm surprised you learned in such a short amount of time. I'm impressed,” you stated, taking a sip of the beverage in hopes of calming your nerves.

“As you should be,” he smirked, “It's not everyday that I show you how much I love you like I should. I' sorry,” he apologized. At this, it took all you had not to spit out your drink in shock. Instead, you merely stared at him as you shakily put down the drink. “Look, I've tried to be like them and it's just not me. I've tried to be everything that you said that you wanted. I've tried to be the arrogant person, the sassy person, the idol and I just can't do it. I don;t feel right treating you like a drama, because, in the end, life is no drama, it just has the drama that we put in it. _______, I don't want to be without you and I need you in my life. I want to be your idol for who I am, not who I'm not. I know that I'm not super cool or attractive, but all I want is you. I want to be the best friend that finally gets the girl. It's been torture these last few years watching you pine after someone who isn't even real, but I can't take it anymore. ________, I love you in more ways than you could ever count. Please, just tell me that you love me back and mean it. ,” he pleaded, his eyes watering as he took your hands and stared at you, his heart poised to break.

“Baekhyun,” you started.

“Hmm?” he asked, not knowing what to expect.

“Is there whipped cream on my lip?I think there might be some. Can you get it off me?”

“Oh, uh, yeah, there is, I didn't even notice,” he chuckled. “Here, let me get a napkin,” he stammered, springing up from his seat about to walk back to the counter.

“Pahbo,” you sighed playfully, grabbing his wrist and pulling him down to you to pull him in for a deep kiss. Your lips molded perfectly with his and you moaned softly into the kiss. Finally realizing that his dream was coming true, he s his fingers through your hair and swiped his tongue across your bottom lip, demanding entrance, which you happily granted him. Unabashed, you let him explore every inch of our wet cavern, the taste of coffee making it even sweeter, until you both had to pull away for air.

“So does that mean that I'm your idol now?” he asked insecurely.

“Pahbo, you don't have to be because you're better than any of them. You're my adorable, goofy, smart, Byun Baekhyun, also known as the best friend who got the girl. Baby, I'm all yours. I guess I just needed a kick to realize that sometimes, reality is better that fantasy. I love you. I mean it,” you smiled before pulling him in for another kiss. This time, he broke the kiss upon hearing some disgusted groans from the other customers in the store.

“Babe, not here, there's so much more that we could do at home,” he smirked, grabbing your hand and coffee and leading you outside.

“So, what did you have in mind, Mr. Confident,” you asked as the two of you climbed into his car.

“Doesn't matter. All I know is you can't look at a drama and begin to guess what I have planned for us. Babe, it's just the beginning,” he smiled, before driving away, placing a hand on your thigh, sending a shiver up and down your back. To say the least, you were excited and you knew that you didn't need your dramas anymore. Byun Baekhyun was all you needed and wanted. He was better than any lead actor you could think of and you wanted to see where this new love would take you.  


A/N: So.... I told you that went way off topic. But I hope that you liked it. This is only my second Baek fic and I am sooo not a Baek biased, but I hope that I did well with this. I just saw the imagine and I couldn't help myself. It was too cute NOT to write. I just hope that I did it justice. Thanks for reading ^^