Chapter 2: Echo

Masking Noise

...

“Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~! how I wonder what you are~~!”

“What are you doing, kid?”

“What? You’re a kid, too!”

“I’m clearly older than you brat.”

“Hmph!”

“So what are you doing?”

“Singing?”

“You call that singing? More like you’re screaming.”

“Hmph! What are you doing?”

“Ha? Can’t you see? I’m writing a song!”

“In the sand?”

“Yeah. Is there any problem with that?”

“Won’t the wave washed out those notes?”

“Oh yeah? So what?”

“I shouldn’t concern myself with a stranger’s hobby, but why aren’t there any lyrics?”

“Tsk. I’m currently working on that brat. So go away!”

“I’ll help!”

“What?”

“In writing the lyrics!”

“What? Why?”

“Just because!”

“Tsk.”

“Is that a yes?”

“…”

“Yey!”

“Whatever…”

“By the way, I’m Kim Myung Soo!”

“Kim Sung Gyu…”

“Woah! We have the same surname! Are we related or something?”

“I don’t know… I don’t know my family members, or if there’s any.”

“Oh…are you…”

“Yeah. I’m an orphan.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Nah. That’s fine. I’m used to it.”

“So where do you live?”

“Duh? In an orphanage!”

“Not in a foster family?”

“I used to. But I don’t like to live in those kinds of places. Some of them are kind, while the others are abusive. I like it better in the orphanage, the nuns’ smiles are not fake.”

“So what are you doing here at the beach, alone? Well aside from writing a song.”

“I sneak here once a week, to have a little peace and quiet for myself. Until a certain brat ruined it. Tsk.”

“Well I’m sorry? I come here twice a week but this is the first time I saw you here.”

“‘Coz I just arrived in this town last month, and I only go here every Wednesday.”

“Oh… I see. I go here twice a week randomly. So why aren’t you here with your friends?”

“They’re too noisy. I can’t concentrate in writing my songs.”

“So you want to be a composer?”

“I am a composer.”

“What?”

“I submitted and won some titles with my compositions. I want to earn lots of money so I can build my own record company!”

“Ooh… that’s cool!”

“Heh. I am cool.”

“Hn.”

“So what about you? What are you doing here?”

“I’m waiting for a friend.”

“What?”

“I’m singing our trademark song in case he’s nearby. So he’ll know I’m here.”

“Trademark song? ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star’? How long have you been doing that?”

“Three years? Why?”

“That long? Aren’t you fed up?”

“What? No! I’m not! And never will!”

“So you have so much faith with this kid? Why didn’t he just contact you?”

“My mom said…they have ‘certain family matters’ so he can’t see me.”

“You mean, ‘financial issues’.”

“Huh? How can you say that?”

“I’ve been there, you know. My foster parents frequently used that as an excuse to transfer me in another family.”

“Oh…we can’t be so sure…”

He shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. It’s no concern of mine anyway.”

“You’re cold!”

“Because I don’t know the kid.”

“Hmph.”

“So, are you gonna help me with the lyrics or what?”

“Sure!”

Myungsoo grinned while Sunggyu smirked, moving the stick he’s using in writing the chords. They started putting lyrics on the first verse, debating and agreeing with what best words and phrases to place. They continue like that for a few hours, until they finally managed to finish the first verse. It’s almost night-time so they agreed to see each other again the next week, same time and same day.

Yey~! Second chapter~ You might have notice that I didn't put much description in their actions. Well the reason for that is, I'm more of the dialog-kind-of-writer. And I'd like the readers to know the characters' feelings with just the dialog. Just tell me if  you're confused with the storyline and you want me to edit this. But to be honest, I want this to stay that way. Though it's totally different in 'Drowning in Silence' case because it has quite a lot of descriptions.

Anyway, please review if you have time~ ^^