Chapter 1: Reverberation

Masking Noise

“Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~ how I wonder what you are~~”

“Yeollie! You at singing!”

“Hear for yourself, Soo! You’re only shouting the words!”

The two 5 year old neighbors laughed at their silliness, but still continue their cheerful singing on each of their own house’s balcony—not caring that the other neighbors are currently in the dreamland.

“Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~ how I wonder what you are~~”

“Soo! This song will be our trademark, okay?”

“What trademark?”

“When one of us is singing this song, it means the other is nearby. Got it?”

“Ooh! Okay!”

The two boys held their hands, singing happily on a river bank while walking towards their houses, not caring about the adult’s stares and frowns.

“Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~ how I wonder what you are~~”

“Soo…”

“What is it Yeollie?”

“I…uh…”

“What?”

“I li—”

“Huh?”

“I mean, we’re friends forever okay?”

“Of course!”

Myungsoo beamed while Sungyeol smiled back, gripping the former’s hand tighter. Then they look up just in time to see the final blast of fireworks.

“Twinkle, Twinkle— Yeollie?” Myungsoo clutch the railing of their balcony before tiptoeing and shoving his upper body forward. “Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~ how I wonder what you are~~” He cocked his head to the side in confusion. “Yeollie~! Are you there?” He then took notice of the dark room on the other side of the balcony—subsequently noticing that the whole house’s lights are turn-off. He started singing again, but louder this time. “Twinkle, Twinkle, little star~ how I wonder what you are~~” Without meaning to, tears started to form on his eyes. But he wiped it sloppily with the back of his hands. “YEOLLIE!!!”

“Myungsoo…”

“Mom…?”

A woman in her late 20’s held his son’s shoulders gently—comforting. “Sungyeol…Yeollie’s family moved to another town…”

“W-What…? W-When Mom…?”

“Yesterday evening… Mrs. Lee asked me not to tell you about their moving so you can’t stop Sungyeol from leaving…”

“B-But why…? Why didn’t he tell me himself?! Am I not his friend?!”

“I’m sorry...”

He shook his head, still not believing what just happened. Then he suddenly looked up at the starry sky, hands slowly grasping his own face, scraping his cheeks all the way to his throat. “WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” The tears on his eyes flowed uncontrollably.

He cried…

He cried at the top of his lungs…

Like a newborn canary…