Just Admit It!

Stumbling into... Love?

     Once Hakyeon has recovered from his initial embarrassment, he lowers the novel from his face and clears his throat, then intimidatingly points his finger at Sungyeol. "You. Never do that again," he says in a threatening manner.

     "Alright, I won't," Sungyeol replies gleefully, then hastily removes Hakyeon's glasses and grabs ahold of his hand, placing them in his palm. "There you go!" he happily exclaims with a pleased expression.

     Hakyeon shoots a menacing glower in Sungyeol's direction. He puts his glasses in his pants pocket, then gets up and places the novel back on the bookshelf he took it from. "I'm going home," he announces, immediately walking away from Sungyeol and heading down the stairs. Once he's made it about halfway down, he comes to the realization that Sungyeol is following closely behind. He stops on the middle of the staircase and tuns around. With a blank expression, he asks, "And just where do you think you're going?"

     "I want to come with you, hyung!" Sungyeol eagerly answers.

     Twitching his left eye in irritation, Hakyeon responds with, "Firstly, I told you not to call me hyung. Secondly, we're not friends, so why in the hell would I let you see where I live?"

     Sungyeol bites his lower lip and playfully arches his eyebrows. "Because you're attracted to me," he says bluntly, receiving a shocked expression from the older male standing in front of him. He steps closer to Hakyeon, invading his personal space. "And don't even try to deny it because I can see right through your lies, mister!" he adds with confidence, the space between his and Hakyeon's faces measuring only about two inches apart.

     Without hesitation, Hakyeon backs away and turns in the opposite direction of Sungyeol to prevent him from seeing the pale blush that has formed on his cheeks once again. There's no denying it - Hakyeon is indeed highly attracted to Sungyeol and his childish, uncouth personality, but after making such a valiant effort to repress his feelings, he refuses to give Sungyeol the satisfaction of being right. If there's one thing Hakyeon can't stand, it's being wrong - especially being wronged by someone like Lee Sungyeol. Carrying on with his stubborn attitude, he shoves his hands into his pockets and rebukes, "Don't flatter yourself," as he continues down the stairs, reaching the bottom.

     "Hyung! YAH! Wait!" Sungyeol yells, swiftly maneuvering his way down the stairs, being careful as to not trip and fall. He grabs on to the older male's sleeve once he's caught up to him.

     Hakyeon stops dead in his tracks and turns around, looking the younger male in the eyes. He places his right index finger on Sungyeol's forehead, pushing him backwards slightly. "Why are you such a freak?" he asks in an unfriendly tone, the latter ignoring his snide accusation.

     "Pleeeeease can I come with you?" Sungyeol begs innocently, pursing his lips. "I want to spend more time with you."

     Even though he won't admit it, Hakyeon wants to spend more time with Sungyeol as well, so he uses the latter's plea as an excuse to do just that. "Fine," he agrees, making sure to respond in a crude tone as to not cause suspicion from the choding.

     "Really? You mean it! OMOOO! I didn't think you'd give in so easily!" Sungyeol exclaims enthusiastically, receiving many scornful glares in the process.

     Humiliated by the choding's clamorous behavior, Hakyeon places his hand over Sungyeol's mouth, shushing him. "We are still in the library where people can hear you, so shut up," he grumbles aggressively, then removes his hand from Sungyeol's mouth and wipes it off on his own shirt. "I swear, If I get kicked out of here because of you..."

     "Gosh, you are so uptight! But give me time and I can fix that," Sungyeol alluringly suggests. Hakyeon simply rolls his eyes in response and the two of them exit the library, Hakyeon leading Sungyeol to the nearest bus stop. As they're waiting for the bus to arrive, Sungyeol scopes the area and shouts, "OOOH! Hold on! I want an Americano!" He tugs on Hakyeon's arm and drags him over to the coffee shop in his line of vision, which is also coincidentally the one Hakyeon is employed at.

     When they reach the front of the coffee shop, Sungyeol releases his grip on Hakyeon's arm and rushes inside, leaving the latter behind. Hakyeon narrows his eyes in annoyance as he steps through the doorway.

     "One small Americano, please," Hakyeon hears Sungyeol say to the cashier as he approaches him. There are only a few other customers inside the small but charming coffee shop, a sight Hakyeon is not used to seeing since it's always filled to the brim with people every other day.

     "N! What are you doing here on your day off?" the owner - a twenty-six year old male by the name of Kim Sunggyu - asks Hakyeon as he watches him from behind the counter, causing Sungyeol to glance over and see who the man behind the counter is talking to.

     Hakyeon gives Sunggyu a faint grin. "I was dragged here by this fool," he says as he turns to Sungyeol and lightly smacks him on the back of his head.

     "Yah, hyung!" Sungyeol squeals, turning to face Hakyeon as he massages the back of his head. "That wasn't very nice! Just for that, you can pay for my drink," he says condescendingly.

     "Wha-?! First you beg me to let you come over to my apartment, then you try and get me to pay for your drink?" Hakyeon scoffs, shaking his head in disapproval. "You're unbelievable."

     Sunggyu chuckles at Hakyeon's attitude since he knows first-hand how easy it is for him to become ticked off. "Don't worry about it, N. It's on the house."

     "Really?" Sungyeol asks excitedly as he turns to face the owner, bowing in his direction. "Gomapseumnida!"

     "Anieyo," Sunggyu modestly replies, then adds, "Though, I'm curious, how do you know N? He doesn't talk to many people, as far as I'm aware."

     Sungyeol opens his mouth to answer Sunggyu's question, but Hakyeon cuts him off before he has a chance to say anything ridiculous. "We met at the library less than an hour ago."

     "And you're already hanging out with him?" Sunggyu giggles, suspiciously arching his eyebrows and leaning his elbow on the counter, resting his chin on his palm. "This isn't like you," he adds, turning his head to face Sungyeol. "You must be pretty special... ah, what's your name?"

     "Lee Sungyeol," he joyously replies. "And I hope he thinks I'm special," he says as he gazes at Hakyeon with a seductive smile, "Because he's special to me."

     "Don't listen to a word he says - it's not like that," Hakyeon denies. "He's just very persuasive. And relentless. And annoying," he responds harshly, narrowing his eyes at Sungyeol, who's handed his drink by one of the baristas. Hakyeon then shifts his eyes back towards Sunggyu. "Anyways... gomapseumnida, hyung," he says in gratitude, bowing in the owner's direction. Sunggyu smiles cheerfully at the two males in response and Hakyeon announces, "I'll see you tomorrow," as he turns around, preparing to leave.

     "Have fun with whatever you're doing, you two," Sunggyu kindly replies as Hakyeon and Sungyeol exit the coffee shop.

     As Hakyeon and Sungyeol make their way to the bus stop for the second time, Sungyeol takes a sip of his Americano. "This is amazing!" he interjects. The astonished look on Sungyeol's face causes Hakyeon to release a soft smile, of which the former notices. "And now that I know that you work there... I'll be visiting more often," Sungyeol adds.

     "Aish," Hakyeon responds, directly followed by a sigh. "How are you already so infatuated with me? Or is clinging on to random strangers just a habit of yours?" he asks mockingly.

     "I think I'm attracted to your personality. It's so... different from mine. But you know what they say - opposites attract!" Sungyeol answers, ignoring Hakyeon's snide comment once again. "Plus, I think you're really cute," he adds, being completely upfront about it.

     Hakyeon manages to keep himself from blushing for the third time. "You have no social boundaries, do you?" he asks in an agitated tone.

     "I don't know what that means, so... maybe?" Sungyeol responds, obviously confused. He lets out a nervous laugh and Hakyeon holds his palm up to his forehead and shakes his head, wondering how he let his heart get stolen by such a buffoon. "Anyways," Sungyeol continues, "That guy... who was he, the owner? He was really nice to let me have this for free!" he says with a smile, which almost immediately fades into a pout. "But I don't like how he kept calling you N... it makes me jealous."

     "Yes, he is the owner, but you have no reason to be jealous. You know why? Because there will never be anything between you and me," Hakyeon bitterly replies, trying to get his point across.

     Sungyeol chuckles to himself. "Who are you trying to convince, hyung - me or you?" he happily asks, then takes another sip of his drink. "I mean, you're letting me come over to your place, and you don't seem like the kind of person who would normally do that, so obviously you must feel something towards me."

     Hakyeon ponders for a moment about Sungyeol's question. Was he, in fact, trying to convince himself that they would never establish a romantic relationship, rather than just accept that he wants to establish one? The more Hakyeon considers this possibility, the more he realizes how desperately he wants the younger male - to hold him in his arms, to apologize for being so brash and coldhearted and then make it up to him afterwards, to be as open and affectionate towards him as Sungyeol has been this entire time. He's never felt this way about anyone before and all of these thoughts are causing Hakyeon a strong affliction in his mind and heart. He wants to confess his attraction, but at the same time, he's scared - scared to lay his emotions out and thus becoming vulnerable, scared to submerge himself into the unknown, scared that he's attracted to someone so different than himself, scared to submit himself into a relationship he doesn't know how to handle... but most of all, scared that he's going to fall so hard for this choding that he'll forget who he is and lose all sense of rationality. Despite his agonizing inner conflict, he manages to blurt out, "You know what I feel towards you, Lee Sungyeol? Frustration."

     Sungyeol releases a huff of laughter and grins. "Not for long," he mumbles to himself, just low enough to prevent the older male from hearing him.

     The two males walk in silence for the next minute and reach the bus stop. While waiting for the bus to arrive, Sungyeol finishes his drink and throws it out in a trash can a few feet away. When he walks back over to Hakyeon, the bus arrives and the two step up and walk inside, paying for their ride. Upon entering, they come to the realization that the bus is exceptionally crowded and are forced to stand obnoxiously close to one another. Sungyeol takes the opportunity to lean against Hakyeon's chest, the latter unable to object considering it would cause a scene if he did.

     "Don't get used to this," Hakyeon annoyedly mutters through gritted teeth, when really, all he wants to do is wrap his arms around the younger male.

     Sungyeol nuzzles his face against the side of Hakyeon's head. "I know you're enjoying this just as much as I am, hyung," he whispers into the latter's ear.

     "Stop calling me hyung," Hakyeon hisses in discontent. Sungyeol takes this as a good sign since the older male didn't necessarily reject his affection or comment. It seems he's making slow but steady progress in winning him over.

     After about ten minutes of being squished together - to Sungyeol's obvious pleasure and to Hakyeon's secret pleasure - the bus finally reaches their stop. Hakyeon quickly pulls away from the former and they both squeeze their way through the large crowd of people, then get off of the claustrophobic bus. The older male stretches for a few seconds before heading off to his apartment with the younger male. They walk for about two minutes before they reach the entrance to Hakyeon's apartment, Sungyeol's eyes beaming with anticipation. Hakyeon unlocks the door and Sungyeol instantly rushes inside before Hakyeon even has a chance to hold him back.