The Moon Meets the Sun

Stumbling into... Love?

     Cha Hakyeon - a quiet, organized, uptight, and not to mention devilishly handsome, twenty-five year old male - works full-time as a barista in a small, privately owned coffee shop located along one of Seoul's many crowded streets. Although he enjoys his job most of the time, he never gets much time to himself, so every Sunday afternoon he ventures out of his shabby studio apartment into the cold, bustling streets of Seoul to catch the bus headed to his favorite place in the entire world - the public library. Most people would consider the library to be a boring and humdrum hangout spot, but to Hakyeon, it's his haven - his escape from his hectic every day life. If he could spend every day at the library relaxing in solitude, he most certainly would.

     This particular Sunday afternoon at the library in the midst of autumn is the same as any other, filled with people from all walks of life - university students getting caught up on their schoolwork, parents reading to their well-behaved children, elderly folks solemnly skimming though the weekly newspaper, etcetera. Hakyeon has found serenity on one of the several unoccupied, plush sofas on the second floor, sporting his cozy, grey sweatpants, white sneakers, burgundy sweater, and a black beanie loosely nestled on top of his vibrant, maroon hair. He's comfortably curled up and reading a historical novel with his oversized, thick-rimmed reading glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose, and nothing makes him feel more tranquil.

     Lee Sungyeol - a loud, goofy, childlike male, not much younger than Hakyeon himself - stumbles into the library, wearing white skinny jeans, grey low-tops, and a blue, plaid shirt with headphones covering his ears, the music on his MP3 player blasting at maximum volume. He doesn't seem to pay any mind to the other inhabitants as he noisily makes his way up the staircase, heading in Hakyeon's direction. He takes a seat on one of the sofas a few feet away from Hakyeon, to the latter's annoyance.

     Hakyeon averts his eyes from the page he's reading and turns to face the boisterous, younger male, giving him an intimidating glare, but the latter doesn't seem to notice as he whistles along with his blaring music. Not wanting to get involved with the unnamed, younger male in any way, Hakyeon tries to ignore him as he continues to read the novel, but the younger male's constant whistling causes him to become irritable after only a mere minute.

     Letting out an exasperated sigh, Hakyeon places a bookmark in the page he's reading and rests the novel on the end table beside the sofa. He hesitantly stands up and walks over to the younger male, tapping lightly on his right shoulder. "Excuse me," he interrupts in a slightly irritated tone, causing the younger male to remove his headphones.

     "Yes, what is it?" the younger male questions, looking up at Hakyeon with his large, innocent eyes. Perhaps this is a result of Hakyeon working in a coffee shop for far too long, but he notices that the younger male's eyes are the color of coffee beans, which brings him cheerful thoughts and thus brightens his mood, but only by a miniscule amount.

     "Could you turn your music down, please? It's very distracting," Hakyeon politely requests, releasing a forced smile in hopes that it will entice the younger male to comply with his wish.

     "Ah... sure," complies the younger male as he lowers the volume on his MP3 player. "I'm sorry about that," he apologizes, giving the older male an inviting, friendly smile in return.

     Nodding his head in the younger male's direction, Hakyeon replies, "Not a problem," with a stern expression across his face. He then makes his way over to the sofa he was sitting on and gets back into his previous position with the novel in hand, the younger male placing his headphones back over his ears. Hakyeon couldn't help but notice how attracted he was to the younger male once he saw him up close - the way every strand of his chestnut colored hair seems to be perfectly placed atop his head, his abnormally plump cheeks and gummy smile, and the younger male's cute, little lisp are all qualities that captivate Hakyeon's mind, body, and soul in a way he never knew was possible. He shakes these thoughts from his mind and continues to read. Romance has never been a top priority in his life, and considering how crazy his schedule is, he doesn't even have time to do things for himself, let alone have a relationship or even think about having a relationship.

     For the next couple of minutes, Hakyeon remains unbothered by the younger male, who has quieted down - until he begins whistling again. As soon as he hears the first note leave the younger male's lips, Hakyeon pokes his head up from behind the novel and stares at him, clearly irked. The younger male notices the unpleasant stare he's receiving from the older male, so he removes his headphones once more. "Is there something wrong?" he asks in a confused tone, scratching the top of his head.

     "You were... whistling," Hakyeon explains, trying to remain calm and collected.

     The younger male blinks several times and tilts his head to the side. "Was I really?" he asks, completely oblivious to his actions. "I didn't realize. I'll stop now."

     "Kam sa hae yo..." Hakyeon says as he brings his head back down and continues reading.

     Once again, the younger male places his headphones back over his ears and continues to listen to his music, making sure not to whistle or even hum as to not disturb the older male. After a few minutes of silence, the younger male begins to tap his finger nails on one of the end tables to the beat of the song, obviously not aware of how sensitive the older male's ears actually are.

     It seems Hakyeon has finally lost what little patience he had left as he places the novel face-down on the sofa and crumples up a piece of paper lying on the end table, tossing it at the obnoxious, younger male.

     The crumpled up piece of paper hits the younger male in the face. In shock, he removes his headphones one last time and shouts, "YAH! What did you do that for?"

     Several people glance over at the two young males, and some even go so far as to shamelessly shush them from across the room. Shooting the younger male a malevolent glower, Hakyeon places his index finger over his mouth and angrily mutters, "We're in a library, you idiot! Be quiet!"

     Even though Hakyeon didn't throw the paper with enough force to actually cause any pain, the younger male unnecessarily rubs the area on his face where he was hit. "Arraseo, but you don't have to be so mean about it!" he cries, pouting at Hakyeon, who just huffs in a bout of displeasure.

     In a forcible tone, Hakyeon asks, "What are you even doing here? All you're doing is listening to music... and bothering me."

     The younger male regains his composure and shrugs his shoulders, simply responding with, "I come here when I'm bored."

     "Can't you go somewhere else? Like, I don't know, maybe a music store?" Hakyeon hastily suggests, becoming more agitated as he continues to involuntarily make conversation with the younger male.

     "I could, but... I like hanging out in here more," the younger male replies humbly, unaffected by the older male's coercive attitude.

     Not wanting to get involved with any more issues, Hakyeon doesn't even bother arguing with the younger male. "Whatever," he scoffs, then picks up the novel yet again and goes back to reading, or so he tries to.

     After a few moments, the younger male gets up from his seat and instead plops down right next to Hakyeon, who gives him a dirty look as he does so. He scoots a few inches away from the younger male, who finally introduces himself. "Sooo, what's your name? I'm Lee Sungyeol."

     "Why do you want to know?" Hakyeon asks suspiciously, giving Sungyeol direct eye contact.

     Narrowing his eyes in a somewhat seductive manner, Sungyeol replies with, "Just curious."

     Exhaling deeply, Hakyeon asks, "If I tell you, will you leave me alone?"

     "Probably not," Sungyeol responds honestly with a confident smirk.

     Hakyeon sighs, deciding to give up since simply ignoring the choding seems to be out of the question. This is the one day each week Hakyeon is able to reward himself for his hard work with some well-deserved peace and quiet and he's not going to let some dingus, as attracted as he may be to said dingus, ruin it for him. He places the novel on his lap and promptly removes his reading glasses, placing them on the end table beside him. Beginning to gently massage his temples, he takes a deep breath to help calm himself down. "It's Cha Hakyeon," he admits in a jaded tone.

     "How old are you, Hakyeon? I just turned twenty-four," Sungyeol asks in a hospitable manner, not wanting the conversation to end so soon, especially since the older male finally seems to be acting somewhat civil towards him.

     After clearing his throat, Hakyeon responds with, "Not that you need to know, but I'm twenty-five."

     "Oh!" Sungyeol exclaims as his eyes light up. "Then... can I call you hyung?" he asks, hopeful that the stubborn, older male will give in and go along with it.

     Hakyeon makes a grimace due to Sungyeol's comment, though, internally, he quite likes the sound of being called hyung by a handsome stranger. "No, you hardly know me," he coldly replies.

     Sungyeol chooses to ignore Hakyeon's response as he tilts his head downwards, examining the cover of the novel that's resting on the latter's lap. Pointing to it with his left index finger, Sungyeol asks, "What is that you're reading?" even though the title is clearly visible.

     "None of your business," Hakyeon snarkily replies, picking up the novel once more. "And why are you so damn nosy?"

     "Omo... you're feisty," Sungyeol responds cheekily, releasing a light chuckle. "I like that in a man."

     A shocked expression takes over Hakyeon's already disoriented complexion. "Are you implying that you like men?" he inquires, not quite sure what he's hoping Sungyeol's answer will be.

     Sungyeol chuckles again. "Well, I didn't think I did, until I met you, hyung," he reveals as he slowly inches closer to the older male, still holding his gaze - only this time, Hakyeon allows the younger male to get closer to him without scooting away. "But... you should keep the glasses on, they suit you," Sungyeol adds as he picks up the abandoned glasses, then proceeds to place them back on Hakyeon's face.

     Hakyeon blushes, but tries to conceal it by hiding his face behind the novel in his hands. Truthfully, he's flattered that the younger male by the name of Sungyeol is showing interest in him, but he refuses to admit it. He and Sungyeol are polar opposites, like day and night, and day and night are not capable of being together - that is, until a solar eclipse occurs. During this natural phenomenon, the sun and the moon become one with each other, creating what is one of the most mystifying and stunningly beautiful sights in existence. Could Lee Sungyeol possibly be the sun to Cha Hakyeon's moon?