Prologue

The heart's listener

A/N: Hi, This is MieyFishy. Although, the illness is exist, I don't know much about the illness. So, most of the cases and treatment are fictional.Subscribe, vote & comment!


The middle aged woman smiles as she gets a letter from her son. It is such a heart-warming letter. The guilt always washes her heart that she can’t afford herself to meet her son. It is more than grateful for her to receive the letter. Her son doesn’t hate her after all. Mrs. Kim starts to grab a paper and pen to reply the letter.

 

Dear J,

            How are you, my son? Have you been eating well? Please take care of your health and don’t be sick. You make me worry about you. You must be pretty busy right now. It’s going to be winter soon, so remember to wear your winter jacket.....

 

She stops writing for a moment as the memory of her family life suddenly fills in her mind. It’s been years already but things don’t change that much. Years past but she can’t replace the empty spot which she longing for. She blames herself for everything. Then, her mind goes back in time.

 

 

 

Omma’s pov

 

It was midnight when my water broke. I was so surprised as I still have a lot of time till my due date. My husband was still soundly sleeping when I woke him up, telling him the real situation. He rushed me to the hospital as I started to feel my first contraction. My husband soothed me, telling that everything is going to okay. We gonna meet our child soon. Yes, we were expecting our first child and according to my OB, it’s going to be a boy.

Knowing I was in labour, I knew that my baby would be born prematured. At first, I thought that maybe he’s too excited to see the world – I didn’t know the consequence of it. After 4 hours in the labour, my angel finally saw the world. He’s so small and fair, just like an angel. We named him Kim Joonmyeon. For him, to be full of  love and laughter. We couldn’t brought him home as he had to stay in the incubator.

After my family received the good news about the baby, the doctor informed us a very bad news. My Joonmyeon was diagnosed with a heart disease – his valve; or probably his blood pipe was kind of narrow for a normal people. My heart sank hearing the news. Joonmyeon had his first surgery after spending some days in the incubator. The surgeon said that Joonmyeon would grow up as a boy with a weak heart.

It’s okay, It’s okay. I told myself. How I wished that I was me who were sick. I mean, everyone who you called mother would be upset if they found out that her child is sick. My husband and I promised that we would give the best to Joonmyeon because we knew that we won’t have much time with him. Our precious Joonmyeon is all that we had. The moment that he was born, I knew that I couldn’t afford to lose him.

 

 

When our Joonmyeon was two, his face was so pale and he continously had headache. I thought that it was anaemia since my husband also had one. That one day, Joonmyeon fainted out with his face blue. I urgently brought him to the hospital and called my husband. We were introduced to a doctor called Park Hoon. He gave us the detailed about our son. Joonmyeon almost had a heart failure and he was diagnosed with a blood disorder disease.

Kim Joonmyeon was positively had aplastic anaemia. Aplastic anemia is a illness where the host couldn’t produced enough matured blood cells for his body. Our Joonmyeon needed to have a bone marrow transplant and blood transfusion. Bone marrow donation was probably impossible since we surely won’t get a matched donor. We only left with blood transfusion then.

Doctor Park warned us that blood transfusion from stranger was very dangerous because we might not get a positive result. My blood weren’t the same with my son and my husband had anaemia – which was impossible for him to donate his blood. That was when we decided to have another baby, to save our Joonmyeon.

“Are you crazy? Another baby?! At the time like this?” My husband nagged at me.

“No, I’m telling you the idea to save our Joonmyeon.” I fighted.

“What?”

“He can save Joonmyeon by donating some blood and it will be save because he’s not a stranger. We get ourselves a new family member and give Joonmyeon a baby brother while saving his life.”

“Okay.” He sighed.

 

 

We used the IVF method to get myself pregnant. My husband was so excited to get a new baby but I was more excited, imagining our Joonmyeon all healthy and else. I did admitted that my morning  sickness was really bad when I was in my first two months. I got easily tired too. It was more tiring than when I was pregnant with Joonmyeon. It’s okay as it was all for Joonmyeon’s sake.

 

There’s one time where I went to the salon for a haircut when I was in my seven months of pregnancy. The woman next to me asked me about my pregnancy.

“How far are you along?”

“Seven.” I said with a smile.

“Is it a girl or a boy?”

“A boy.” Yes, it is definitely a boy.

“That’s so fortunate of you. I have three daughters and I really want to have a boy.”

I just smile towards the comment. I was lucky indeed.

“Have you think about his name?”

Then it hit me, I haven’t think about name, nor buying some baby clothes – well, we could use Joonmyeon’s and all the stuffs. The woman asked me again as I was in dazed, thinking my second son.

“No, I haven’t thought one. My husband probably have some in his head.”

I was right. Junho had made a list of names for our second son. I wasn’t actually care what he would want to choose because I knew that he would choose the best for our children.

 

 

In January, my second son was born. My husband named him, Kim Jongin. My precious Kim Jongin. My Jongin who would be a superhero that save his brother. I smiled.