One

Secret Romance

"Kai-ssi, can you tell us what your ideal type is?" the radio DJ asked. Questions about ideal type is almost a required question for all idols. No matter how long an idol has been in the industry, this type of question always lingers on.

 

"Uh, I like girls who are slender, white skin, and with double eyelids." Jongin responded with an embarrassed smile. He doesn't really have an ideal type. In fact, he hasn't been attracted to or caught feelings on anyone, except for actress, Han Yeseul. But that doesn't count because he only admires her beauty, nothing more. He probably made up his ideal type once their manager told them to be prepared for those kinds of question when they just debuted. 

 

The qualities he always say on interview are very typical idol answers. Slim figure, S-line, V-shaped jaw, high nose bridge, double eyelids, fair skin, etc. It seems like answering this kind of question is part of their training. How can Jongin even answer this question genuinely when he hasn't felt any attraction for girls at all? He hasn't even thought of dating because his mind is so occupied with dancing and his idol career.

 

"Yah! Are you okay?" Sehun taps him in the shoulder. "You're zoning out."

 

Jongin just nodded. He didn't even notice that the radio show ended. Good thing this will not be broadcasted.

 

The members said their greetings and headed out of the KBS building. All the members bowed to show respect to all the staff, producers and the DJ. They were all given bottled water each after talking on a live radio broadcast for a forty minutes. Although for Jongin, it’s to keep his mouth moist because he never really talk on broadcasts. His mouth gets really dry due to nervousness so he constantly his lips which the fans find it very y so he just thought it could be his form of fanservice. 

 

They reached their mini van and everyone was fighting for who sits where. The boys always fight for the middle row because it has the largest space where they can stretch their legs. 

 

“Yah! I should be on the second row. I’m the tallest here” Chanyeol demanded.

 

“Ok hyung I’ll sit with you” the tall maknae, Sehun added as he steps his foot in the car when Jongdae grabs his shirt from the back.

 

“Eyyy, why are you deciding for yourselves? Are you the only ones who have tired legs here?” Jongdae pulls Sehun away from the car. Sehun stumbles and bumps at the other members.

 

“Ok, ok, let’s decide like real men here. Whoever wins gets to pick a seat” As expected from the leader, Junmyeon resolves this petty but recurring issue of car seats. Chanyeol puts out his hand into a ball of fists and everyone follows.

 

“Wow, is this how real men resolve their issues?” their manager can’t help it but laugh. “If your fans find out how immature you act, I don’t know if they will still like you.”

 

“Uhm yes hyung, they will.” Baekhyun tilts his head to look at their manager and smiles all-knowingly.

 

“You’re becoming too overconfident hyung” Jongin chuckles and flashes his beautiful white teeth.

 

“He’s becoming like that because his kkaebsong became a hit” Chanyeol imitates the way Baekhyun says kkaebsong

 

“KKAEBSONG~” everyone imitated him in chorus and laughed.

 

The manager gets into the driver’s seat and yelled at them “at this rate, we’re going to spend the whole day if you all keep on talking. Get in!”

 

Sehun rushed to get into the second row seat. 

 

“Yah Oh Sehun!” Jongdae points at him, annoyed.

 

“Sorry hyung, you were all so slow. Kkaebsong~” Sehun stretched out his legs and teased the older members how comfortable the seat is.

 

Junmyeon, being the slowest to react, ends up seating next to the manager in the passenger’s seat. Jongin who just wanted to sit and relax, gave way to the elders and sit at the back seat. Jongdae and Baekhyun ended up sitting with Jongin because Chanyeol keep insisting that shorter people don’t need a lot of leg room.

 

"That's your last schedule on the list. You can now call it a day." Manager-hyung said as he starts the engine.

 

"I'm hungry, let's go buy something to eat." Baekhyun suggested as he rubs his belly, "when are we going to eat?" 

 

"You're so whiny Byun Baekhyun. Let's just eat whatever's in the dorm. I really wanna go home, I'm so sleepy." Jongdae hits Baekhyun’s head as he rest his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

“I wish someone in this group can cook.” Sehun whines.

 

“Let’s go eat chicken!” Jongin suggested which he received a lot of protests for because he’s been suggesting that every time they think of something to eat.

 

Finally, the members dozed off and there was a moment of silence their manager have been praying for since this morning.

 

*   *   *

Screaming fans resonate the room. On the stage, stands Tao, Yixing, Luhan, Xiumin, and Kyungsoo with the MC. The group is holding a fan meeting. 

 

Could there be a possibility, I’m trying to say what’s up cos I’m made for you and you for me, baby now it’s time for us, tryna keep it all together but enough is enough, they say we’re to young for love but I’m catching feelings

 

More screaming from the fans are heard holding up banners with flashing lights of the member’s names.

 

“Wow, D.O.-ssi you made all fangirls’ hearts melt. Doesn’t his voice heaven sent from God?” the MC made Kyungsoo blushed with the compliment. He looks down to hide his blush.

 

“YES!!!!” Kyungsoo’s face flushed bright pink even more and giggles while holding the mic tightly.

 

Luhan gives Kyungsoo a thumbs up and approving smile while Xiumin pats his shoulders for assurance.

 

“Now let’s give it up for the dancing machine, Lay!” as Yixing steps forward, the audience cheers.

 

*   *   *
 

At one of the conference rooms in the MBC building, a group of producers are thoroughly discussing a new project.

 

“Since kpop is becoming more and more popular worldwide, should we have two idols host this upcoming variety show?” the head PD leans back on his chair and takes a sip from his Americano.

 

“Sunbae, sorry but what is this exactly about?” the youngest PD scratched his head in confusion. “I’m sorry, I came in late.”

 

“We’re planning on doing a travel variety show to market kpop. I’ve been thinking of making two idols star the show” 

 

The assistant PD scribbles in his notepad, “and where do you plan to set this show?”

 

“in Paris, it’s foreign but not too foreign. You get what I mean? It’s a place where whoever the chosen idols are will be ecstatic to be in. It’s a famous place as well and I did some research, kpop has also have a lot of following in there.” the head PD nods his head smartly. “But I haven’t thought of which idols are going to be in it, any suggestions?”

 

“So nyuh shi dae’s Kim Taeyeon!” the youngest PD blurted out.

 

“What about somebody from Apink? They’re cute” the youngest PD looks at the assistant PD judgingly. 

 

“Yah this isn’t for your viewing pleasure” the head PD slams his hand loud enough to startle the youngest. “Since we plan on starring two idols, our target audience will mostly be…” the head PD glares at the other two wide-eyed.

 

“… teenage girls” 

 

“Exactly! We want someone who’s a hot topic at the moment. Most kpop fans are teenage girls so in order to get the rating we desire we should cast a male idol.” The other two PDs nod in agreement. 

 

“Ahh that’s right!”

 

“Ok that’s it for today, I’ve already talked about this with the CEO, we just need to plan who’s going to be the MCs so for our next meeting we should finalize our plans and start notifying the chosen idols.” The PDs stand up and grab their coffees then heads out of the conference room.

 

*   *   *

Hysterical laughter can be heard from the living room as the boys watch their recorded performance for Inkigayo.

 

“Hyung why do you always make that mistake? It’s not even that hard” Sehun motions the dance step which Junmyeon made a mistake. Then Jongin joins in.

 

“Ok there, you don’t have to show off your skills.” Junmyeon rolls his eyes. 

 

“What have they been training you for after those 7 years hyung?” Baekhyun laughs.

 

“Apparently, crying on cam isn’t one of them” Chanyeol laughs loudly while stomping his feet on the floor. Sometimes the other members wonder why fans find the laughing Chanyeol charming, it’s disturbing as hell. 

 

“Hey you derp face, you’re one to talk, didn’t they train you how to control your face while laughing” Jongdae leans back to the lazy boy recliner. 

 

Sehun almost chokes from his juice while holding back his laughter “I remember Luhan hyung does the same thing too, his jaw drops every time he laughs.”

 

“Aww someone misses his beloved hyung” Jongin tickles Sehun’s chin teasingly.

 

“Aww” the other members followed.

 

“Aww” Sehun mocks them and rolls his eyes. 

 

*   *   *

 

Today, Jongin’s group have no schedule aside from their goodbye stage in Music Core. The boys ended their performance and are now resting in the waiting room. They shared the room with Kyungsoo’s group their hoobae from the same company. The two groups said their greetings with each other like long lost friends.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah! Have you grown taller?” Chanyeol sandwiched Kyungsoo between him and Tao. Kyungsoo smiles sheepishly and jabs Chanyeol and Tao in their ribs. 

 

The waiting room is suddenly filled with noise and the boys forgot about their status as an idol as they catch up with one another. 

 

Kyungsoo sits down next to Jongin who is so immersed with the game app on his smartphone. Jongin stiffens in his seat as feels Kyungsoo sat next to him. He looks at his periphery to catch a glimpse of his hyung. 

 

“Jongin, why do you suddenly look so uneasy?” Yixing chortles. Kyungsoo looks at Jongin with his eyes wide open waiting for Jongin to answer. 

 

“Nothing, I’m not”

 

“Don’t tell me you’re still scared of Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asked acting like he’s surprised. 

 

“Why are you even scared of me?” Kyungsoo asks Jongin still looking at him wide-eyed. 

 

“Like I said, I’m not and I wasn’t” Jongin lets out a small faint laugh, feeling embarrassed. 

 

Kyungsoo breaks his eye contact with Jongin and smirks before forming a full smile. He finds it cute that Jongin is, or was, scared of him. 

 

 

 

The music show broadcast ended and as predicted, Jongin’s group wins the first place. Their group is one of the most promising groups of this current generation and has one of the largest fanbase among male idol groups. 

 

Both groups fix their belongings and prepare to leave. The manager asks Jongin to step out of the room so they can talk in private.

 

“Hyung what is it?”

 

“A producer from MBC wants to cast you in their upcoming variety show.”


too lazy to proofread this OTL. my apologies for inconsistent use of verb tenses

and please comment/subscribe cos I need motivation to write lol. feedbacks/constructive criticisms are very much appreciated. im doing this for fun but i also wanna practice my writing here so please please let me know what you think, thank you! 

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ