p. 2

Pet Frenzy

This was ridiculous and strange.

 

With the cool air of the evening slowly enveloping him, Kyungsoo stood there in front of the address that was written on a small piece of paper. This was the place that Chanyeol had recommended for Kyungsoo to come and find a pet fish. Just thinking about the fact that he even had agreed to get a fish was ridiculous in his mind, but here he was. Whenever he had agreed to go and head over to the pet store, he didn’t expect that it would be so huge. His eyes scanned over the large brightly colored building that was before his eyes, the walls covered with bright colors as he attempted to read the English sign that was on top of the store.

 

‘Pet frenzy.’

 

Staring at the sign, Kyungsoo couldn’t understand why they had it written in English. This was South Korea, what was the point of writing something in English? Was it just an attempt to make the shop seem more modern and new? It was just strange and he stared intently at the sign, trying to remember what the English words meant. Taking out his cell phone to translate the words, Kyungsoo tried putting it together in his mind. Pet was any domesticated or tamed animal that was kept as a companion and cared for affectionately. Okay, that was a word that he knew. As for the other word, it seemed that frenzy meant an extreme mental agitation; wild excitement or derangement.

 

Blinking his eyes as he thought awkwardly outside of the store, he realized that it pretty much meant wild excitement over pets. Kyungsoo thought it was weird, stupid, but kind of befitting of a pet store. 

 

As he stood there in the cool evening air, Kyungsoo could notice that people were going in and out of the building in a steady stream. It was popular it seemed, with countless high school students cooing over the animals displayed in the windows. But not Kyungsoo, after all what was the point? As he continued to stand near the door, he would occasionally walk a few steps towards the building before growing pale and walking away as fast as his legs would let him. This continued for nearly twenty minutes.

 

He didn't want to go inside but as he began to imagine Chanyeol appearing and dragging him inside with his lanky limbs, he felt himself grow even paler. No. No. No. Chanyeol would totally make him spend an hour over where the small rodents were. He could already imagine his co-worker geeking out over every single animal, especially the ferrets. That was another strange thing about Chanyeol. He owned a ferret named Kkulbbangi and would constantly show off pictures of the animal on his phone. It was weird. Kind of ugly. But it was so Chanyeol.

 

Finally deciding that he needed to go and get this visit over with, after all it was just for a fish, Kyungsoo finally decided to go inside at long last. As he stood in the front of the brightly painted store he looked around in a judging evaluation. There was so much stuff that was inside of the store. Huge signs hung off the celling in different spots of the store that read that they were for dog, cat, tropical fish, saltwater fish, small animals and birds. Kyungsoo just stood there quietly and wasn't sure what to do next. Chanyeol never said there were two types of fish. What type did Chanyeol want him to get?

 

This was stupid. He should just leave. 

 

Turning around to leave, he could suddenly feel a small tap on his shoulder. 

 

"Welcome to Pet Frenzy, my name is Kai. Is there anything that I can help you with?"

 

Turning around in shock a state of shock from the low masculine voice that interrupted him, Kyungsoo felt his face grow paler. Great, now there was some stupid store associate that wanted to help him. It wasn’t that he disliked store associates, but they would make it where he could ended up getting that stupid fish. At times like these, he really hated Chanyeol. This was all his fault.

 

As he looked at the store associate that was in front of him, he stared at the chiseled chest that was peered out slightly from the slightly ed top. Kyungsoo swallowed in that moment, his eyes ranked up that tanned skin to see what he could only call an abnormally attractive guy. Soft eyes that were eager to help, a tongue peeking out to moisten his lips as he gave a sweet smile.

 

The words were stuck in his throat in that moment, and it took a few seconds before he could speak. “I- uh- pet- uh- need." 

 

If Kyungsoo could slap himself, he would have in that moment. Did that even make sense? Nope. It was nearly incomprehensible. Now this was why Kyungsoo just focused on work and no play. He could talk to people on the phone with ease, now in person there was an awkwardness he couldn't deny. Or maybe it was because this guy looked like he could be working in any type of job he wanted, even as a male model. So not fair. 

 

"You're looking for a pet? Are you a first time pet owner?"

 

"Yeah- uh- I mean yes."

 

The guy just grinned as he walked Kyungsoo towards one of the small areas of the store. 

 

"This is where some of the cats that we have are located. Cats are great first time pets, not as demanding as dogs. I have three dogs myself and adore them, but cats are amazing too. You kind of look like this little one, you both huge wide eyes."

 

Kyungsoo snapped out of his daze as he looked down at an older cat that was inside of a small cage. Inside was a small adult cat with white and orange colors on its body. You could see a faint tabby pattern on the orange sections. Its eyes were a soft orange as it stared up towards Kyungsoo. Glancing over to the name plate with the cat’s information, it read that it was a five year old female cat.

 

"She's a real sweet heart. She has been here for a while now, since people normally want kittens only. But an older cat would be great for you. They don't have the hyper tendencies that a kitten normally has and they are mellower."

 

Kyungsoo looked at the older cat with a pounding beating in his chest. Wow. He even picked out a perfect pet for him, this guy was too perfect. He knew that his mind wasn't working correctly, since his heart was pounding too fast. But his mouth opened without thinking. 

 

"I'll take her."