p. 1

Pet Frenzy

 

“You should really get a pet. Like, I don’t know, a fish or something.”

 

There was a silence that filled the office room that Chanyeol and Kyungsoo worked at. Life was simple for Kyungsoo since he had recently gotten a job working as an insurance consultant. Whenever his family learned that he was moving into Dongdaemun, due to it being where his job was located, they were ecstatic. Kyungsoo wasn’t a student any longer, he had an adult job now. Of course compared to his years at University, it wasn’t nearly as fun. It meant a lot of long hours talking to customers over the phone, but it was a stable and safe job. Even if it meant that a few of his co-workers were a bit on the strange side.

 

Glancing up from his desk, Kyungsoo could see a bright smile beaming on Chanyeol’s face. It was almost like he thought of the most genius and amazing idea ever. And by brilliant idea, Kyungsoo would say more like stupid. Really stupid. Yet, he really wasn’t surprised that the extremely energetic and optimistic co-worker had said something so strange. After all, Chanyeol was Kyungsoo’s friend. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo worked in cubicles across from each other and since it was their lunch break they enjoyed spending their time chatting with each other.

 

Rolling his eyes, Kyungsoo glanced up at Chanyeol with a blank expression.

 

“You’re kidding right.”

 

Kyungsoo questioned as his face slowly started to contort as a frown formed on his lips.

 

“I said you should get a fish or something! Maybe it would help with your anger problems. They say staring at fish is really relaxing and calming-”


Before Chanyeol could finish his words a stapler flew from one side of the room straight towards Chanyeol’s face. Dodging out of the way by mere inches, Chanyeol’s hand quickly landed on his heaving chest as he stared shocked at Kyungsoo.

 

“You really need to fix those anger problems, you could have killed me! Or damaged by beautiful face!”  

 

“Damn, I missed.”

 

“Like I said, you really need a pet. It’ll like chill you out or something.”

 

There was silence.

 

“Really Kyungsoo, you should just go and look at the fish! Hey, there’s even a pet store like five minutes from here. I’ll even walk you there.”

 

More silence filled the room.

 

“Kyungsoo! Would having a fish kill you?”

 

Kyungsoo leaned back in his office chair, his hands crossing over his chest.

 

“If I say that I’ll consider it, would you stop talking about it?”  

 

A bright smile came over Chanyeol’s face again, knowing full well that he had won the argument. That was the thing about Kyungsoo, even though he was a little bit on the grumpy side and tended to appear standoffish to everyone that talked to him, Kyungsoo did listen to his friends advice. Although Kyungsoo thought that owning a fish was a waste of water and space in his apartment, maybe there was something more to it than what Kyungsoo thought.

 

So, for that reason he would go out of his way after work to visit the silly pet store and buy a stupid fish.