Chapter 4

Sad Nights

Even though the girl noticed the boy who had been looking at the school, she continued her daily life. She didn’t care that he looked like he sincerely cared the other night, when she didn’t believe it. If he saw her again, he would properly think she was nuts like the rest of the town did. That was why she never dared to talk to anyone. She just concluded that they thought she was weird. Most people properly did think she was weird, but if she learned to find the right people to talk to, she would properly find a version of comfort. She just didn’t dare to do it, as the possibility of talking to somebody who thought she was crazy was too huge.

After working a long shift in the library, she went home. She didn’t do much. She just kicked her shoes off, and then walked out the door, after locking it. There wasn’t anything precious in her house, but she never forgot to lock the door. When she left, she walked from the middle of the street, and stopped by the end, were she sat down on the sidewalk. She always went out when most people were eating dinner, so that nobody would notice her. This one night seemed extremely silent, but she didn’t care. She liked feeling alone, as the sun set completely, and the street lights flickered on. Those seconds between sunset and the street lights were precious to her. She couldn’t see much, but being outside in the dark was what she loved. She bent her knees up to her chest, and hugged them. She sat like that for the rest of the night, but just before sunset she got up and turned home, to get two hours of sleep before school, as always.

As always she was in school early the following day. She wore shoes, since the winter was raging outside. It wasn’t that she believed her feet would be cold, but she would be way too outstanding, and people might start questioning her. She did not want that. She slumped into her assigned seat in the back of the class, near the window. She felt lucky getting this seat, but she knew deep inside that the teacher didn’t want her dull looking eyes up close, so he put her in the back on purpose.

 

The student body slowly started to fill in, nobody offering a “good morning” or “hello” towards her, but she didn’t notice. She looked out the window, with the other students talking and laughing as background noise. Soon enough the bell was heard, signaling the days beginning. Sighing, the girl turned around, looking up at the blackboard, waiting for the teacher to enter the class. As if the teacher read her thoughts, he entered the class. Behind him were two new boys following his tail. It didn’t take many seconds before the girl noticed one of the boys, to be the one who saw her one night, and then saw later on when he was looking at the school. She was a bit confused, admitted. Nobody ever moved into this town. There were only people who lived there because their parents did, and never had the courage to leave. One man did have the courage though. He was the only soul who had ever cared about the girl.

“Boys, tell the rest of the class your names. I’ll give you some seats afterwards,” the teacher said. The girl noticed the other girls were already gossiping about the boys, who apparently looked “smoking hot” or “too hot for their own good”. The girl snickered at this, and turned her attention towards the boys once again, as they were about to speak. The boy who she noticed from before stepped forward first. “The name’s Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo, if that matters,” the boy said. He didn’t show much emotion on his face, and his voice wasn’t warm as an oven, but it was rather nice. Well, that’s what the girl thought. The other boy stepped forward, standing next to Myungsoo. He seemed a bit shy, but he talked either way. “Hello. My name is Lee Sungjong,” he said, showing a softer expression compared to Myungsoo. He teacher assigned their seats. As in any other novel, the boy named Myungsoo was placed next to the girl. His emotionless face slowly turned into a tiny smile, as he took his seat beside the girl, whom he was excited to learn more about.

The girl didn’t even spare a glance towards the new boy, Myungsoo. The lecture proceeded after the small disturbance, which meant Myungsoo didn’t even get a chance to say hallo to his mysterious girl. When the math lecture came to an end, at least half of the class was fast asleep. Myungsoo was wide awake, and so was the girl. Just before the teacher left the room, he asked the girl to show Myungsoo and Sungjong around, seeing it as an opportunity to open up her shell. She didn’t argue one bit, but wasn’t a huge fan of the idea. Myungsoo on the other hand, was ecstatic. He called Sungjong over, before he smiled shyly at the girl, who didn’t move a muscle in her face. Lovely face, if you asked Myungsoo. Sungjong came running over, and extended his hand towards the girl, offering a friendly handshake. She slowly took the hand, looking at him shortly. He smiled, and intruded himself once again. The girl debated whether or not to return the favor, by telling the boys her name. Myungsoo extended his hand as well, adding pressure to the girl. She slowly took the hand, and as he said his name again, she slowly started to open . “Hello. My name is Lee Sungmin.” It came out almost as a whisper, barely audible for the boys to hear. Nevertheless they heard, and smiled at her, glad to hear her voice. “I guess I’ll show you around after school. Meet me outside this classroom,” the girl, Sungmin, said, just before she took her leave. The boys looked after her, dumbfounded, before they shrugged, took their bags, and left the room.