Are You Comin' Or Not!?

Jaywalker

!?Of course, then my phone rang.

I roll over and fall on the floor, and complaining as I stretch out to reach the phone.

"Hello?" My irittation must have been audible becuase the silky voice on the other end sounded distressed.

"Is this Miss Uhuru? I thought you would be excited... that ."

"Who are you?"

"Lydia Paek. I talked to your mother today. Did she tell you I would call?"

"No, I didn't agree to anything. She just went ahead and set it up."

"Well, I think you have a wonderful voice. Not to mention how surprised I was to find out you're a breakdancer. Would you consider having lunch this afternoon? We could discuss this face to face and I'll give you the details."

"This is unreal. How the hell did my mom meet YOU?"

"I found you over the internet, but could only get in contact with your mother. She said you were on board with it."

"She lied. But.... I guess lunch couldn't do any damage."

"I'll pick you up."

"SHE GAVE YOU MY ADDRESS????"

............................................................

Lydia arrived in a black car, she was dressed so casually I couldn't recognize her until she called out to me. I had told myself that today was a dream, but I was having one unbelievable experience after another and nothing made sense. She didn't seem to think it was strange at all, even when I explained how my parents went about telling me. She took a sip of her tea, not bothered by the curious look I gave her as she did. As I continued to ask about how this happened, she raised her thumb over my head and poked me. I could see that was her way of telling me to shut up. So I stared at her, for who knows how long, until she stopped drinking her tea and looked at me. 

"Uhuru, you are really youthful. I want you to listen to me, from start to finish, and decide how you feel about your situation." I nodded quickly. She gave off the impression of a badass. It was obvious that she not only gave respect, but expected it from others. I was more than interested in what she would say.

"Alright. Now, I was told that you have more than one passion. A dream that is different from music but is still something you feel strongly about. You want to be a cop who works with victims of abuse and assault, offering security to people that have lost faith in the world. You want to help people. Your voice, your lyrics, your moves... they told me stories about you. There are millions of people that could learn from you and begin chasing their own dreams. But you can't reach them from here, or from any physical setting, because they need to hear your struggle and your fears. If they have you, it can be the push forward that many people don't get from their family. You understand how it feels to fight on your own without anyone to guide you, because they sit back and judge you instead. I want your talent and your message. But I can't have it without taking all of you. Do you understand?"

Dazed. I sat there dazed by the sudden change in Lydia's expression. She was being honest, I can catch a liar within five words and she just preached to me with more honesty and sincerity than my own family could have. She continued to stare right into my eyes. They weren't burning through me, because unlike people I have known for years Lydia is looking at me. She isn't asking me to do what she wants, she is asking me what I want to do. 

"Paek... I can't believe you said that..."

"Why not?"

"You understand me better than anyone. And yet, we've known each other for an hour or two."

"I want people to know you, Uhuru. Your music is the only way to be heard, use your voice."

Lydia slides a piece of paper over the table. I look down and read 'Above Ordinary Music Group' at the very top corner. She laughs when I lean back in confusion, assuming she was tricking me. She moves her finger down the page to a signature. It was his signature. Her eyes glanced from the page to me. I felt dizzy but managed to shake it off and ask Lydia what was on my mind. "I thought you worked under YG Entertainment?"

"That's true. Most of the time. But I made connections after a while for reasons like you."

"What do you mean?"

"I knew that someday I would find talent that couldnt be wasted, you, and needed to be prepared. I'm friends with plenty of Korea's biggest names."

"You praise me too much. I can't believe this..."

"Hey now, don't let my kind words get to you. Stay modest. You can work wonders with a good heart, understand?"

"That makes sense" I nodded "But can I ask you something?"

"You have been transferred to Dong Ah Institute of Media and Arts. All scholarships apply because of a few strings I pulled."

"But..."

"You can stay with me. You're mom was bent on you living with him but that wouldn't be appropriate. You're too pretty to live with a man you just met."

I blinked several times to be sure that I wasn't daydreaming. Lydia was so blunt and yet she was winking at me. Her expression was childish, almost like she was teasing me about it. I turn my fork around in my plate and try to come up with more reasons to hesitate. Then I remembered something.

"Your face looks like you have an idea." She plays with the last bite of her salad, twisting the lettuce around the last of the dressing.

"I remember this story that my dad told me. A man wanted his beautiful daughter to be outgoing but not conceited. He gave her a mirror that he said was a vision of her mother and would guide her when she felt lost. But she would just look at it and smile because she wanted to make her mother proud, so she no longer was hesitant."

"It sounds like I need to buy you a mirror. But you look nothing like your mother, you have round eyes." Her casual response made me realize how seriously I was taking this situation. I couldn't keep holding back like this... but I still felt unsure of myself. I look around and try to think of reasons to be happy about this oppurtunity. But I couldn't. I was unable to feel happy about a chance to do what I've always wanted. 

"I can't... how can I decide so suddenly?" I rest my chin in my hand, unable to look her in the eyes. 

Lydia twisted her lips in irritation, "Are you comin' or not!?"

Amused by her impatience, I hesitate once more. "But to take it all in at once..."

"YOU'RE KILLIN' ME UHURU" She throws her hands in the air and sounds completely fed up with me, "AM I GONNA HAVE TO DRAG YOU THERE???"

I smile for the first time in a long time. Lydia was so real. She wasn't here for her own sake, but for mine and the people she believes I can influence. I raise my head and wave a hand in front of my face. She was confused obviously but waited for me to explain myself.

"This is a chance I wouldn't miss for anything. Where do I sign up?"

"Finally coming to your senses? You had me yelling in such a peaceful place like a crazy woman. Are you always so difficult to convince? Nevermind, I'll take you home and we'll meet up tomorrow to discuss this further. You need to read the contract I brought with me. And you should talk with your parents."

Back at home, I rest on the couch and listen to music. It was ironic how 'R.O.D' began to play as soon as I thought about Lydia and our meeting. She suggested that I talk to my parents but I didn't want to right now. I felt at peace. They would just ruin it. I leaned back farther and closed my eyes.