Five - Encounter

Same Sky

Okay I know it's late haha oh, and this is not edited. Something went on, and... yeah. Things happened. But don't mind that. Just enjoy this chapter! :)

 

 

CHAPTER FIVE

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!”

 

A sigh escaped his lips hearing that familiar and annoying shriek of the Jung matriarch. It had been over a week since he worked as an all-around servant for the family, so he was already used to them—meaning Mrs. Jung and Jihye—screaming whatever curses at him. In fact, they have never spoken to him in a lower volume, and they have never called him by his name. Of course, except Yunho.

 

It was better that way, though. He’s not going to stay for a long time, anyway.

 

He turned back to the pile of dishes he was washing, preparing himself for Mrs. Jung’s monologue about washing clothes that he had already memorized by heart. He probably knew almost all reprimands from her.

 

And so he lazily mumbled while soaping the plates the same time Mrs. Jung was shouting the exact lines from the laundry room, “How many times have I told you to separate the whites from the colored clothes?! Are you suffering short-term memory loss, too, or are you just plain idiot?! I told you it is necessary—”

 

“I don’t think you’ve got short-term memory loss. You remembered every word she said.” Yunho said, suddenly appearing in the kitchen like a mushroom. The man tended to do that. He was not surprised anymore.

 

Yunho’s statement registering in his mind, he felt his cheeks heat up. No one should have known he was kind of mocking Mrs. Jung, even if it’s Yunho, the only person in the household who was civil to him. The woman is still, after all, the mother of his savior. He was relieved, though, that it was Yunho who heard him.

 

“I, uh—” He cleared his throat, shifting his attention back to his chore, “S-Sorry, I-I didn’t…” One disadvantage of having amnesia was the lack of proper words when conversing. He still forgets how to form proper sentences in situations such as this. Thus, he couldn’t fully express himself because of it, much to the delight of the mother-daughter tandem of the Jung family.

 

Yunho laughed and placed a hand on his head to ruffle his hair which was becoming a habit of the taller man recently. It annoyed him; it was making him feel that his height is probably Yunho’s when he was in elementary. “It’s alright, Hyun. Go ahead. Mom will probably have a heart attack if she keeps on shouting like that.”

 

Jutting his lower lip, he washed his hands and wiped it dry on the sides of his pants before begrudgingly heading to the laundry room. Actually, the whites and colored were really separated. He knew. But he also knew that Mrs. Jung was merely causing a scene because Yunho was in the house and it might give him a bad image to the man.

 

Nice try, he grumbled. That woman must have been so bored to have so much time in making his life miserable. He assumed she had already made a mess inside the room.

 

His fingers enclosed in his pendant as he slid the door open.

 

 

 

He and Yunho grunted as he was pulled up the roof by the latter. He landed on it yelping ‘oof,’ his weak arms supporting his upper body while Yunho helped him lift his legs. He was very exhausted the moment his back hit the tiled roof surface.

 

“Are you sure this won’t break?” He lightly tapped the surface, worrying for its sake since it was supposed to be ancient, according to Junsu. Apparently, the entire land, including the houses, was passed down onto generations of the Jung clan. According to Yunho, his family was like the head of the clan. They run in a traditional way.

 

“No, it won’t.” Yunho laughed, looking around to check if they’re the only ones in the area.

 

Once assured that his parents and Jihye were asleep, Yunho told him to go to the roof with him an hour ago. They climbed on a wooden post connected on the roof which was a very difficult thing to do in his condition, yet he couldn’t say no to Yunho, especially when he’s having that silly smile of his. The man said it was a habit of him to climb the roof at night since he was a child.

 

The stars were very beautiful, he remarked. Up there on the roof, the dark sky felt so near, that if he raised his arm he could already touch the sparkling dots. And so he did, but to his disappointment, he only grasped cold air.

 

The stars are like his memories; they were so near, yet so far. There are lots of times when he thought he had finally remembered something but he hadn’t really remembered. Images were there; however it was unclear if those were from his memories or merely his dreams. It was confusing and frustrating.

 

Just then, he recalled a conversation he had overheard last afternoon. It was about Jihye going to the capital city.

 

“Where is Seoul?” He asked, thinking if he pronounced it correctly. “Can we walk to get there?”

 

Yunho chuckled, his eyes also directed on the sky. “Hyun,” He still felt uncomfortable at the nickname Yunho gave him. “Seoul is very, very, very far from here. We usually ride the train to get there.”

 

“Train?” He looked at the other, just in time to see him smiling sheepishly and rubbing his nape.

 

“Uh, yeah, it’s a bigger and longer car.” He tried forming an image of Yunho’s car being bigger and longer. He frowned; it didn’t look right.

 

“What do you call this place, then?” Yunho said he could ask him anything, so he always bombarded the guy with questions and there are times he felt guilty for asking too much. He was grateful to Yunho for being patient on him and his ignorance.

 

“Yeongam. We’re near… uh… the place of your accident…”

 

For a moment he heard water splashing. He sat up and searched for the source of the sound but all he could hear suddenly were birds chirping. The strange sound was gone. He didn’t know he had his eyes wide and was panting heavily all along.

 

“Hyun, what’s wrong?” Yunho was already in a sitting position as well, his face and tone showing worry.

 

What just happened to him?

 

He shook his head and lounged on the roof again. “I thought I heard your mother calling me.” He lied, hoping it would convince Yunho. He was getting good at lying to Yunho, and he’s starting to feel bad about it.

 

The supposedly water splashing bothered him until he fell asleep that night.

 

As far as he knew, there wasn’t a single body of water nearby.

 

 

 

People at the greenhouse were busier than usual that early morning. There were big cars parked in front and Yunho’s men were running around and placing large baskets of strawberries on the open back portion of the cars. Junsu’s loud voice could be heard even from afar.

 

Ever since he worked under the Jung Family, he always woke up at 5 in the morning, and he usually spends his time at the greenhouse before getting in the kitchen to prepare breakfast. He just actually discovered his talent for cooking recently.

 

 “Hey, Kyuhyunnie!”

 

Yoochun cheerfully greeted him, waving his hands frantically. He frowned at the nickname. Hyun was bad enough, but Kyuhyunnie was worse.

 

He jogged towards Yoochun who handed a basket to one of their men, with Scar following him. He became fond of the dog.

 

“Where are you bringing the strawberries?” He asked the moment he stopped.

 

“To Mokpo. Are you coming?” Yoochun replied with a grin. Yoochun is not as good-looking as Yunho, but he has his own charm. He likes talking to him.

 

Mokpo… wasn’t that the place where he lost his memories?

 

“Oh, I’d love to, but Mrs. Jung might…”

 

“Ah, yeah, point taken.” The taller male patted his shoulder as if consoling him. Yoochun must have experienced Mrs. Jung’s grumpiness, too. “Hey, U-Know! Tell your mom we’re taking Kyuhyunnie to the market!” Yoochun then called Yunho after the latter was done talking to someone.

 

Yunho walked towards them, slipping his hands in his pockets. “Do you want to? I mean, we’ll go through where… you know… it happened…”

 

He struggled for a while to find the right words. “Yes… it might help me remember… right?”

 

Yunho pulled off that expression he had that night they were on the roof. He didn’t like it. “It might not be a good experience for you.”

 

“Well, working under your mother is worse, I guess…” he shrugged.

 

His comment made everyone laugh.

 

“Alright, alright, I’ll do my best.” Yunho said after he calmed down from laughing.

 

 

Knowing that his mother wouldn’t agree, Yunho opted to just leave a post it on the fridge, writing that he’ll be taking him with them to the market. They prepared themselves for some scolding once they get home.

 

The travel to Mokpo from their place didn’t take long. Soon they reached the cliff where his accident took place. It was a long curvy road. The vast blue waters were on the other side, and there he heard the same sound he thought he’d heard back at the Jung residence.

 

Yunho never told him the exact area he was found. He didn’t need Yunho to say anything, anyway. The moment they drove at the cliff, he found himself inside a different car. The sky was brighter than seconds ago. There were no trucks following them. He realized; it was the same scene that was in his dreams.

 

There was that familiar song playing and another person was singing along again. That person’s voice was deep and smooth; it was what fully lulled him to sleep recently whenever he found it hard to do so. He would never get tired of listening to it, even in his dreams. Then his dream would stop there.

 

But it didn’t, now.

 

His gaze then shifted to the person beside him.

 

Those aren’t Yunho’s big hands on the wheel. This pair was slightly shorter and the fingers are very slim, as if those were being used all the time. He had the sudden urge to touch those hands. This scene wasn’t in his dreams.

 

However, just as he lifted his hand to feel the other person, the car suddenly got shaky. He could hear himself screaming even if he couldn’t feel anything in his throat. He couldn’t see the other man; his face was blurred. The singing stopped and was replaced to frustrated shouting. He could feel hands on his shoulders and there was struggle in the car. It was a chaos. He wanted this to stop. He just wanted to be in the arms of this person with him.

 

He inhaled sharply as his eyes flew open. He was still in Yunho’s car, leaning on the window frame. The sky went back to being light blue. They weren’t on the cliff anymore. Yunho was beside him, not the person with the y voice. He sighed, holding on his pendant tighter than ever.

 

He should be relieved that he wasn’t going to be in another accident; however, there was one thing that scared him from that memory.

 

There was someone with him in the accident.

 

 

 

He trailed behind Yunho quietly. The place they were in was called a market; a very busy place. Based from his observation, it is where varieties of items, mostly food ingredients, are sold in a cheaper price. They stopped on several stalls where Yunho gave a basket of strawberries to the vendors and then they talk about something he couldn’t understand.

 

While Yunho was doing business with a male vendor in his mid-forties, he took a stroll around the area. Even if the sun wasn’t still fully up, life had already started in this place. Every stall was occupied and open, fresh meat and seafood lined up on the tables. People there were also very nice. They were always smiling and they greeted him even if he’s a stranger.

 

Randomly, his thoughts wandered to having someone with him in the car accident. Who was he? Where were they going? Was he still alive? Did someone save him, too? Where is he?

 

Because he was still walking aimlessly, he didn’t notice the man who had his back facing him on his way. He just knew his face and body hit something when he realized he was about to fall backwards, but thankfully, someone caught his arms.

 

“Oops, sorry. Are you alright?”

 

That voice was too familiar. Deep, rich and smooth… he knew he had heard it before… he just didn’t know when and where…

 

He was looking up at a tall and lanky brunet, his beautiful almond shaped dark eyes directed at him. That pointy nose and thick lips were too familiar to him. His heart skipped a beat.

 

“Hey, Sungmin!”

 

“Yes?” He responded without even thinking.

 

~0~

 

“Donghae,” he uttered as he faced his shorter friend who had called him. Donghae was sweating and panting, his eyes wide like saucers. Oh, right, Donghae must have been looking for him. In all fairness, he replied immediately.

 

He had tagged along the fishermen with the Lee to the market to deliver the fishes they have caught. As much as it was fun staying on the seaside with the family, he also needed to go out to see if he might recover some of his memories.

 

“Why did you go somewhere else?!” Donghae whined in a childish way. He fought the urge to roll his eyes.

 

Though he promised to stay by Hyukjae or Donghae’s side, his curious brain told him to roam around. He thought he might encounter a thing that will trigger something. Then he got lost.

 

Thus leading him to the situation where someone smaller than him bumped on his back, and it was a relief that he was able to catch the blond boy on time.

 

The boy was cute. Actually he first described him as pretty (what kind of a guy will dye their hair yellow?), but men couldn’t be called as such because that adjective is used on girls, so he just settled for cute. His charm could almost be compared to Donghae; only that Donghae was bulkier than the boy. Still, certainly an eye candy.

 

If only Donghae didn’t call his attention, he would have already asked for the boy’s name.

 

Speaking of the boy, he turned around to face the boy; however, he was nowhere to be found. Did the guy just disappear? Was he one of Donghae’s aliens?

 

“Were you talking to someone?” Donghae peeked through his shoulder, his neck stretched for a bit and he’s standing on his toes. Oh the disadvantages of being small.

 

He couldn’t help but heave a sigh. “No.” He flatly said, turning to where Donghae is. The smaller shrugged and led him back to the trucks.

 

With one last look to the space where the cute boy was, he realized he wanted to see him again.

 

 

 

It became a tradition in the community to hold a kind of party by the bonfire whenever they collected a larger sum of money.

 

It was fun watching all of them laughing, singing and dancing together. Even he couldn’t stop a wide grin from forming on his face. He liked these people. They were so accommodating to him, not hesitating to give him help whenever he needed it.

 

He actually made some friends from the neighborhood and he got quite close to a Shim Changmin and a Choi Minho. It only took the two seconds of glance at him before deciding to include him in their group of friends. Because of their ‘chemistry,’ the two assumed that they’re of the same age. It was plausible.

 

The people around him broke into loud laughter when Hyukjae and Donghae started having a dancing showdown, with the other members of their dance troupe joining and chanting, including Changmin and Minho, surprisingly. He didn’t know those two could dance.

 

He glanced at Mr. Lee who was sitting next to him, happily clapping his hands. The older man didn’t look like he was in his 50s; he’s probably more handsome than Donghae in his younger years. He’s also nicer than his sons. It was thanks to this man that he’s still alive. He swore to do all means to repay his kindness, as well as to his family.

 

Throughout the week, he had been deliberating on telling them that he wants to help fishing. But the obvious lack of knowledge on it and his weak physique hold him back. Aside from helping in household chores, it was the only thing he could think of to be of use to the family he had bothered for now.

 

Still, he figured a week of rest was enough for him to learn how to fish, right? There would be no harm in trying. He could ask Hyukjae to teach him, and based on his recent experiences, he’s a fast learner. He’s certain he could keep up with them in no time.

 

“Uncle,” Mr. Lee glanced at him, still smiling. “I’d like to learn fishing.”

 

The smile on the older man’s face was gone and was replaced by a look of surprise. “But, Sungmin—”

 

“I am sure of this, uncle. This is the only way I could help you guys in my condition.”

 

“You don’t have to do this. We’re not forcing you.”

 

“I know, but I want to,” He sighed, looking over to the group of people running around the bonfire, delight painted on their faces. There was longing in his heart. “I want to have fun with all of you, too.”

 

Mr. Lee went silent for a minute, staring intently at him. He would have cowered from such stare, but he sported a determined look to convince the older man.

 

“Alright,” Mr. Lee finally said. He released the breath he didn’t know he was holding back. “But I cannot let you go to the sea until I say so and you won’t go without me or my sons. Are we clear on that?”

 

Grinning widely, he nodded vigorously. He didn’t care about the conditions. He could kiss Mr. Lee right now. At least, he could now do something to help the people who took him in. He will not be a freeloader anymore.

 

 

 

Soon, the older men were huddled up in an area near the fire, drinking. Most of them are out of themselves already, while Donghae and his friends just started joining their fathers.

 

His newfound friends didn’t bother dragging him to join. They once forced him to take a shot, which led him to take another shot, and another, and after merely four shot glasses of soju, they couldn’t control him from singing and laughing hysterically. The next morning, he thought his brain would break into half and he threw up twice. It was not a good experience.

 

But that felt so familiar.

 

Still not wanting for that to happen soon, he just stayed a bit far away from everyone. It was good they were thinking first of his safety and sanity. There he was, sitting alone on the sand, facing the sea. He didn’t know why, but he had this love-hate relationship with the sea. Sometimes he loves looking at it, and sometimes he can’t even glance at it.

 

This time, he loved it.

 

To his surprise, Hyukjae sat beside him. The other didn’t spare him a glance, but was also admiring the beauty of the seas while taking a sip of his soju from time to time. They remained that way for a few minutes before Hyukjae finally found his voice, “No one in the family really knew this, but…”

 

He took a quick look over the other male, who was still gazing at the sea but was biting his lower lip. Sensing the low volume Hyukjae used, he figured the man will reveal something interesting that he should keep a secret, so he put all his attention on the hesitating man.

 

“When I was ten, I got lost in Seoul once, and I met a kid named Sungmin…” Hyukjae began narrating, still keeping his voice low. “He stayed with me until my parents found me. But he was suddenly running to his mother when I was about to introduce him. Since then, I never saw him.”

 

Sungmin… wasn’t that his name?

 

“So when I saw your pendant, I really thought you were him… but your face was different. The Sungmin I knew looked like a girl—”

 

Oddly, he was reminded of the boy from the market.

 

“—has larger eyes and chubbier cheeks.”

 

It was like Hyukjae was describing the boy, though he’s sure Hyukjae didn’t see him.

 

His eyes slightly widened when Hyukjae faced him fully. “I know there are lots of Sungmins, but I’m still having this feeling that you are related to Sungmin…”

 

Was Hyukjae saying that he is not Sungmin?

 

He didn’t know why, but he was given hope from it, even if that just meant that he had a different identity. Still, that would also mean that he knew someone named Sungmin.

 

After a few minutes of staring seeking for answers, Hyukjae groaned and buried his head on his knees. “Never mind. It’s weird, I know.”

 

No, it’s not, he wanted to say. But he kept his mouth shut and let the subject drop. He didn’t need to tell the other man that the thought stayed in his mind. That was on his mind ever since they gave him the name he was currently using. He was having that same gut feeling, yet he never said a word. He was not yet sure.

 

Hearing it from someone made it more real.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

Yes, they met! Yaaay! :)

Okay, first, I'm sorry for the delay. I wasn't in the mood to update MJP yet but I'll try my best.

Second, I'm sorry for the short chapter.

Third, I'm sorry for the short spotlight for Kyuhyun on this chappie. I promise his will be longer on the next one ;)

There you go. Comments, people? :)