1 You Are My Pair Of Eyes

You Are My Pair Of Eyes

"GET OUT OF MY ROOM NOW!!! I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO BE IN MY ROOM AT ALL!!" Trisha screamed rudely at her retreating parents, who is unable to do anything to help their poor daughter. Her mother began to weap into her tiny hankerchief and her father just shook his head as he brought an arm around his wife to lead her out of the room.

 

Trisha could hear their footsteps getting fainter, plus a small click that followed shortly after.

 

She's all alone now. Just like what she wanted

 

Has it always been this quiet, she wondered. Silence has never been quite this loud before. Loneliness engulfed her and it feels like she's surrounded by boundless walls of darkness, no matter how hard she try, she will never be able to walk out of it, or even break down the indestructible walls that encompasses her. 

 

 A lone tear slid down her pale face as the memories of her painful past recollected in her head...

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh my god i'm so late for school!!" Trisha squeaked as she grabbed her bag and bolted out of the door. The screaches of car tires and horns greeted her as she stood by the busy street, hoping that a cab would miraculously appear in her sight somehow. Just then, a vivid shade of yellow car with the word 'Taxi' came into view and she flagged her hand out instantly.

 

However, a young school boy was also attempting to flag down the same taxi that she was eyeing for, just a few meters ahead of her. He appears much younger than she was and he was just sloppily flicking his arm up and down. Trisha raced up to him just as the yellow cab came to a halt in front of the small boy. She flung open the door in a fluster. "Big sister here is really in a hurry now! Please understand as i really cannot afford to flunk my final exam! Thank you!" Trisha simply mumbled, leaving no room for the young boy to even say a word and she boarded the vehicle.

 

Trisha settled her bag down gently beside her and drew out her cellphone from her pinafore pocket. When she pressed a button, a picture of a handsome young man beamed at her with a bouquet of roses in his hands, as if to greet her good morning. The ends of unknowingly curved up. Her amazing boyfriend, Kris, never fails to make her smile even if he is not there with her in person at that time. 

 

She was lost in her thoughts when, all of a sudden, the taxi swerved and rammed into something solid! (which Trisha assumed was a lampost) Her whole body was being jerked forward harshly, but was being pulled back due to the seatbelt. Kerosene lingered in the air. Mr Driver swiftly turned around with a quirky frown on his face and inquired, "you alright, miss? Fortunately both of us are not so badly hurt-" 

 

He wasn't able to continue his sentence as a sharp wooden plank came crashing into the car and was roughly pierced through his body! All Trisha could remember was the bloody sight and the flying glass piece that was targetted straight at her eyes before she out...

 

 

 

 

 

She jolted up in surprise as she was back into reality. Trisha brought a hand to her face, only to find it stained with tears. "It's all my fault..." she began to sob uncontrollably into her palms. 

 

"No, it's not." A deep voice replied beside her as she felt a warm pair of hands carress her face gently, wiping her tears away with his thumb softly, as if she might break into pieces if a greater strength was used. Trisha jumped up slightly from the sudden contact and said," is that you, Kris?" as she embraced the hands. "Since when did u come in?" 

 

"I just arrived, my dear." He answered as he run his fingers through her long, smooth hair lovingly. "Stop thinking about the past already, alright?"

 

Trisha's insides began to boil with anger. "How do you expect me not to think about it anymore?! My entire life is totally destroyed! I can no longer live like any normal human being out there, be it shopping with my friends or doing any sports! Everyone is telling me to forget about my past! How will you feel if you were me, huh?" She started to throw things within her grasp in all directions, tears streaming down her cheeks endlessly. Her pillow and bolsters were mercilessly flung around her room.

 

Kris wrapped his arms around her in a hurry, attempting to stop the broken girl from struggling or even hurt herself in the process. "I am really sorry for not considering your feelings at all," Kris was almost begging, his voice slightly shaking. "Please don't cry anymore, Tris. It really hurts me to see you like this and i feel like i can do nothing to lessen the pain you are feeling..." 

 

Trisha felt the back of her t-shirt getting slightly wet. Is Kris crying? Because she has never seen him drop a single tear for the past 2 years that she knew him, and as far as she knew, Kris was someone who prefer to keep his feelings to himself and not get emotional in front of others, not even her...

 

She then finally calmed down and returned his hug softly. "I'm sorry too..."

 


 

 A week later, Trisha was informed that a pair of eyes was available and ready to be donated to her! She learnt that a young man had unfortunately passed away due to an accident and before his death, he had agreed to donate his body parts to others in need. 

 

Part of her was elated to hear the news while the other part was felt sorry for the poor guy. Well, nothing can be done now anyway...

 

A few days after, she was wheeled towards the surgery room with her parents walking with her and Kris holding her hand so tightly, as if she might run away if he let go. "I love you, Tris. You can do it." He whispered ever so gently into her ears before forcing to let go finally when they reached the room. "Even though i'll be seeing u for the very last time now..." Kris mumbled as Trisha vanished behind the doors.

 

 


 

In her dreams, she saw lying on a grass patch and savouring the warm sunlight that shone on her. Beside her, Kris had his eye shut and both arms was drawn back to support his head. She craned her head to look at him. He looks so charming as usual, Trisha smiled to herself.

 

All of a sudden, the ground beneath Kris gave way and he fell into the gaping hole! Trisha stretched her hand out instantly in an attempt to catch him, but only to grab empty air instead. She watched in horror as Kris just keep falling deeper and deeper, until......

 

Trisha's eyes flung wide open and she stared blankly at the ceiling. She scruntinised at the lines that stretched across the ceiling and the mini spider-web at the corner of the room. Is she still dreaming, or, can she really SEE now?

 

Her body sprang up from her lying position like a surface that just rebound from hitting a spring. She straightened her back and stared at her surroundings, wide-eyed. Just then, she spotted Kris with an emotionless expression sitting at her bedside. He was cloaked in a black T-shirt paired with a green army coat, plus fitting jeans and followed by a pair of shades. In Trisha's eyes, he looked more dashing than ever before. 

 

"AHHH KRIS I CAN FINALLY SEE OHMYGOD CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! ITS LIKE ALMOST A MIRACLE!!!" she squealed in excitement as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and jumped up and down with joy. 

 

"I feel so happy for you..." his reply came really lethargic and weak. He her back gently.

 

Trisha withdrawed from the hug slowly. "Hey babe, you alright? Are you not feeling well or anything? By the way, why are you wearing shades in bright daylight?" She laughed mildly and reached out to remove the said object from his face.

 

A firm hand caught hold of her wrist. "Don't," was all Kris said, the edges of his mouth slightly quivering. 

 

Trisha's mind was thrown into confusion. What did he mean by that? Why was he acting this way? Unless... "Please don't tell me what i'm thinking now is actually what is happening now..." the tone of her voice almost sounds as if she was pleading. 

 

Kris lowered his head. "I did this because i couldn't afford to see you suffer anymore... Do you know how helpless i felt when you always indulge in your own sorrows and just shut everyone out of your world? It's like you just became another person. I really want the original you back. The one who will just punch me in the shoulder when you're unhappy. The one who will act like a small kid to pester me to buy a soft toy you see at Toys R'Us. The one who will just lie in bed all day with me when i'm sick."

 

He held his head back and sniffed, trying very hard to hold his tears back. "The current you only knows how to close yourself up in the room and hide in your bedsheets and cry... Do you know how much it pained me to see you like this? Ever since the day that day when u threw a huge tantrum, i have decided that i will donate my eyes to you. Because you are the most important person in my life, and i can't afford to lose you."

 

It was until now that Trisha realised that she was actually hurting the people who loved her with her actions. She only thought of herself all the time. She was selfish and only thought of her own misfortune, and also neglected other people's attempt to help her to stand up on her feet again. "How can i ever repay you...?" 

 

"Stay with me. Be my pair of eyes instead, alright?"