I Was Too Late

My Thai Prince

    Yuri had woken up by the sunlight gleaming through the curtains of her room. The natural brightness was warm on her skin and she loved it. Her eyes opened and glanced a bit everywhere around. It was a sunny day, and her energy level was restored.

   Nichkhun’s body was still beside her with his arm around her waist. They slept this way all night. Yuri stared at him for a while. His messy hair, his perfect eyelids and his simple face made her heart melt. He was too handsome.

   Her eyes turned to the clock that read 8:34, time to get up. She moved his left arm away from her chest and slowly snuck out the room without a sound. Yuri made her way to the kitchen and opened the fridge for a glass of water. There was a note on the refrigerator that read a few scribbles in her brother’s handwriting:

    “Kwon Yuri, don’t forget your check-up at noon. Don’t be late for it! And also, don’t leave Khun alone for too long. –Taec”

   She took a sip of her water and ripped the paper off the fridge to hide from Khun. He couldn’t know about her doctor’s appointment.

   Yuri jolted when hearing an unexpected knock. She made her way to the door and opened it in the middle of stretching her muscles.

   Her eyes became fierce and angry at what she saw. Yuri pushed the door back but an arm stopped it from closing completely.

   “Wait!” shouted Minho. “I need to talk to you”

   “Forget it! Go home and never knock on this door again.” Minho was still putting pressure on the door to keep it open.

   “Look Yuri-ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you like that! It’s just…” Yuri couldn’t seem to cry. She still had the habit of never expressing her feelings on front of others. However, Minho could see right through it. As soon as he saw those heartbreaking eyes, he couldn’t find the words to say anymore.

   “Just what? There is no justification. There is no need to apologize for something of this level.” He was the one crying now. He placed his hand lightly on her face and looked deeply into her eyes.

   “Yuri-ah, don’t do this. You’re right! I am a coward, a jerk and a looser that doesn’t deserve you at all. But please, at least hear me out.” She pushed his hand away from her skin.

   “Minho, you hurt me enough. Please, I’m begging you, just go. You know how my condition is, don’t add to it.” She shut the door tightly behind her. There wasn't any objection this time. Yuro took a deep breath of relief. It felt good to finally let out her anger for once. It was as if she were putting down a large burden being carried for a long time; it felt plainly awesome. However, her feelings towards Minho were very confusing. She didn’t know what to resent.

   “Yah! Who was that?” screamed Khun in irritation. He jealously burned a hole in her face with his harsh glare, destroying her moment.

   “Khun oppa, how long have you been standing there?”

   “Don’t avoid the question. You’ve been inviting men to your house while your brother was away. Am I right?”

   “Minho… Was my boyfriend. There’s a difference.”

   “MINHO!? Who said that you were allowed to have a boyfriend? And why would you invite him without supervision?” asked Khun with frustration.

   “I’m allowed to choose for myself. Aren’t I?”

   “And look at where that has brought you, he broke your heart! Those types of men are dangerous. From now on, you’re not allowed to date anyone unless I approve of it. Araso?” He grabbed her arm angrily. Then, he noticed something funny. There was a strange bruise on wrist. He grew closer in order to have a better look. “Yah! Where did you get this? This bruise is huge. Did he hit you or something?”

   Her arm drew away rapidly. “It’s nothing oppa. Don’t make assumptions.” Yuri pulled her sleeve lower to hide the minor injury. None the less, she knew what it was truly caused by.

   “Are you sure that it wasn’t that Minho or whatever?”

   “Ye.” Her hair partly covered her face which made it hard for Nichkhun to see whether she was lying or not. “Excuse me oppa.” Yuri ran to the washroom and slammed the door behind her. She began to feel intense pain in her chest. Her hands crept up to the painful area and rubbed on it. Trying not to make too much noise, she crawled to the toilet bowl and spat out the salty taste in . Some red liquid squirted between her teeth.

   “Aniyo! Don’t start now. Not when Nichkhun oppa is here!” whispered Yuri. She washed away all traces of blood and desperately clutched her medication inside the medicine cabinet. She filled a cup with fresh water and quickly swallowed the pill. Her legs weakened as her body fell to the ground.

   Nichkhun was still outside in the living room thinking about what happened a few minutes ago. “You know how my condition is, don’t add to it,” she mentioned oddly to that Minho. What condition? She had a condition? Did this have anything to do with the bruise he saw on her skin?

   There was a thump on the ground, coming from the bathroom.

   “Yuri-ah! Are you alright?” He jumped nervously to his feet and walked towards the bathroom door.

   “I’m perfectly fine oppa. Don’t worry about me and continue what you were doing.”

   “Yuri-ah! You sound like you’re having trouble. Open the door!” The sick body sat in the corner of the washroom, moving uncomfortably in soreness.

   “Ahhhh!” she shouted accidentally while rolling on the floor and crying all at once. It felt as if someone were stabbing a knife through her chest. The sting was almost unbearable.

   “Yuri-ah! What’s the matter?” He tried to turn the doorknob but it wouldn’t budge.

   “Oppa, it’s just a little cramp. It’s not as bad as it sounds. Please, don’t mind me! I beg you.” He didn’t listen. He picked a paperclip, slid it in the keyhole and twisted it. When opening the door, he found a sweating Yuri crumpled up in a ball. She transpired like crazy and her breathing was short and quick at every breath. “I told you not to come in.”

   “How can I just leave you like this? You look awful!” Nichkhun put her on his back and carried her out of the bathroom in panick. Not even glancing at the phone, his first reflex was to run to the hospital himself with his best friend lying on his back. The nearest emergency room wasn’t that very far away. He raced to it, barely even noticing the weight he was carrying.

   After a few minutes of extreme workout, they arrived at the hospital with Khun panting like crazy. They laid her down on a bed and did a complete checkup before rushing to an emergency room. Yuri was now half-conscious, mumbling words nobody understood. The two were separated for a while: Yuri in the room surrounded by doctors and nurses while Nichkhun still trying to catch his breath in the waiting room. He shook nervously, not fully knowing what was going on.

   Yuri opened her eyes during the stressful moments and tapped one of the doctors on the hand.

   “Ajusshi, don’t tell him that I’m really sick.”

   “Pardon me? I don’t understand. Tell who?”

   “My friend Nichkhun… Don’t tell him that I have leukemia.” A nurse checked her blood pressure. “Please… Remember not to tell him.”

She lost her consciousness. The doctor remained puzzled and perplexed.


   The patient woke up at the sound of someone shuffling papers. Her vision was a blur for a couple of seconds before she retreated. A silhouette appeared on front of her eyes. Then, she could easily see Nichkhun filling out a bunch of forums. His eyes were so fixed on the sheets that he didn’t even realize she had woken. Yuri stared at him for a while.

   Even filling out hospital forums made him look charming. He sighed and glanced towards her.

   “Oh Yuri-ah! You’re up!” He sat up and pulled his chair closer to the bed.

   “Ye…” She got up to a comfortable position. “Did the doctor mention anything to you?”

   “Ummm…” Her hands were sweating while anticipating his answer.