I lost everything... Even you...

My Thai Prince

 The server put a cup of juice on front of Yuri and Taecyeon thanked him. His sister looked extremely passive seated on her chair. It was as if the world around her was inexistent. Her eyes finally jolted up and took a glimpse at Nichkhun who stood at the front of the hall beside Victoria. He wore a smile on his face, just as Yuri had told him to do. They looked good together, and that’s what scared her.

   Everything that happened previously kept her in shock.

 

*Flashback*

   “Nichkhun Horvejkul, do you take this woman to be your wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to her as long as you both shall live?” There was a silence. He glanced at the crowd from the side of his eye. Through the white dresses and black suits covering the chairs, he found Yuri sitting at the edge of her seat. She could easily read his expression. He looked at her as if he were waiting for his cue.

   Yuri winked once and nodded discreetly, telling him to answer already. Nichkhun sighed and focused back on Victoria who waited impatiently.

   “I- I d…” His voice came out weirdly. He thought before speaking. Whatever he answered would decide his future. “I do,” he finally pronounced. Victoria made out a smirk.

   Yuri released the tension in her chest. Those two words were huge. They meant that she was loosing the man she loved the most. It was officially over between them, and nothing could be done otherwise.

*End of Flashback*

 

   Yuri broke out of her daze and became aware of her surroundings. Glancing back at Nichkhun, they found each other’s eyes. No matter how much they wanted to avoid each other, they couldn’t help it. An indescribable force kept their attention glued to one another.

   Mrs. Horvejkul nudged her son a bit. It took him a few seconds before noticing what she was doing. “Go sit down, there’s something special that’s prepared for you,” she ordered politely. He obeyed, still eyeing Yuri from the corner. He sat beside Victoria at the newlyweds’ table. The queen grabbed a microphone and cleared before starting her announcement.

   “Hello everyone. I want to thank you for coming to Nichkhun and Victoria’s weeding day celebration. I’m sure that they highly appreciate your presence.” Nichkhun rolled his eyes. He didn’t even know half of the people there. “On this very special occasion, I was hoping that a special guest would come on stage. You see, my son has a childhood friend whom he considers very important in his life. So, it’s my pleasure to call Kwon Yuri up front to say a few words to her best friend and his new wife.”

   Only partly listening, she merely heard her name shouted through the great speakers. She jolted as everyone gazed at her with amazement. Claps invaded the huge hall. Slowly changing color, she shyly made her way to the front where the queen awaited her. Her legs trembled at each step. She had no idea what to say. How could she be sincere if she wasn’t pleased with this marriage at all?

   She was now a few centimeters away from Mrs. Horvejkul who rapidly handed over the microphone. Yuri’s hand reached for it hesitantly as Nichkhun swallowed his thick saliva. The guest turned towards the crowd and examined the room attentively. A few hundred people elegantly sat around neatly clothed tables. She sighed in discouragement, not knowing what to say. Then, she saw a piano at the corner of the stage. It snapped a light bulb above her head. She quickly gathered up all the memories of Nichkhun and her playing on that wonderful instrument. Nichkhun was an excellent pianist and he used to show her everything he’d learn after his weekly lessons.

   “Ummm… Hello everyone! I’m Kwon Yuri, Nichkhun’s good friend.” Her presentation was said as if she didn’t know herself. “Telling you all of our adventure together would take hours. We’ve definitely lived through plenty of… stuff.” Victoria could spot Nichkhun smiling, making her envy Yuri. “So instead, I would like to play a song for him and Victoria. Nichkhun oppa use to teach me a bit of piano a few years back, and this is a perfect opportunity to thank him for all he’s done.” Her stare laid on the couple. “Victoria-ssi… Nichkhun oppa… This song is for both of you. I hope that you like it.”

   Everyone clapped as Yuri went to the piano. She definitely was out of practice, but it didn’t hurt to try. The notes stayed engraved in her thoughts, still remembering how Nichkhun taught it to her before.

   Her fingers rested on the keys, gliding through each one that slipped on them. It made the beautiful melody of Yiruma’s “Kiss the Rain”. Yuri knew that Khun liked that song. He always said it was the most relaxing to play. Whenever she felt down, he played it for her. It was a lullaby and a joy lifter all at once.

   Nichkhun sat in awe. He had never seen Yuri so admirable. She played it so perfectly. One would have thought she was the one who wrote it.

   Once Yuri’s hands came off the piano and she stopped playing, the crowd clapped once again. She got a hold of the microphone and addressed herself to the couple who still watching her.

   “Victoria-sshi, thank you for being so generous and kind. If Nichkhun oppa had to marry anyone, I’m glad that it was you. Please take good care of him for me.” Yuri bowed, beaming forcefully. She turned to Nichkhun this time. “Nichkhun oppa, remember what we agreed on. Don’t avoid it.” He swallowed before nodding in accord. Nobody understood what this meant.  Even Taec and Yoona remained puzzled. Yuri continued anyway. “Without you both, I wouldn’t be standing here today. I owe you my life…Thank you for listening,” she finally said before heading back to her seat. As everyone applauded, Nichkhun followed the walking figure with his eyes.

   His body was tempted to jump off his seat and get a hold of her, but he knew that it was absolutely wrong.

   Instead of joining Taec and Yoona at their table, Yuri walked past them towards the exit. It felt horrible inside. Hiding behind the door, her breathing became difficult and her heart gradually beat faster at the second. She held in the tears that so desperately wanted to come out. Then, she gave up. It was too strong for her. She slid to the ground and began to sob wholeheartedly like she never did before. It came out all by themselves.

   “God, why can’t I live a quiet life? Why can’t you hear my prayers? Aren’t I allowed to feel at peace? I’ve never hoped for anything but Nichkhun oppa, and even that is not allowed…” She felt lonely. There was no more shoulder to lean on… There were no more arms to rest around… There wasn’t any Nichkhun for her to love. It was all gone. Victoria took everything she had left.

   Yuri glanced through the crack of the door, into the big hall. Screams of satisfaction could be heard all over the place. Everyone was cheering for the bride and groom, who tenderly had their lips locked into one another. This made Yuri drop all of her senses. “Lord, you really hate me…”


   The next morning, Yuri, TaecYeon and Yoona remained in Thailand. Mrs. Horvejkul invited them over to the mansion instead of having them leave immediately after the celebration. She still treated the siblings like her children despite the current circumstances they were in. The king went along with it, as long as it wouldn’t disturb Nichkhun and Victoria’s relationship.

   The mansion was quiet. Everyone was sleeping and not even a single creek was heard. Yuri contemplated the baby blue walls of her temporary room. Everything felt rich. It even smelled like money. Various thoughts went through her head. The memory of Khun and Victoria kissing haunted her. She twitched back and forth. She slept for such a short period of time due to the lingering images in her head.

   The alarm clock on her left read 4:43 in the morning. The sun hadn’t come out yet and it was still fairly dark outside. She couldn’t stay in bed any longer. It felt weird. Yuri thought that it would be fun to explore Nichkhun’s home instead of lying uncomfortably on the spot. She got to her feet and made her way out of the room.

   She traveled around the maze of hallways on the tip of her toes. She didn’t want to wake anyone. Some of the maid servants were already up and cleaning in the rooms, but they were too busy to notice Yuri wandering around. Everything around seemed like in was worth a fortune. How could anyone afford all this?

   Her eyes lingered through every inch of her surroundings. It amazed her incredibly… Yuri took a right on a wide hallway that led to a room.

   “This must be Nichkhun’s,” she told herself while analyzing the sign on front of the door reading ‘Prince’. It occurred to her that Victoria might be sleeping in there as well. Maybe… A burning feeling within her made her angry. What if Victoria was really sleeping on the same bed as Nichkhun? “Yah! Stop Yuri, don’t think dirty,” she said while slapping herself on the check.

   No matter how much she tried to erase those thoughts, they remained, tempting her to discreetly peek through to crack of the door. She finally gave in and neared Nichkhun’s property. Her heart beat faster at each step. Her hand gripped the doorknob and twisted it delicately. Pushing the door a bit and inserting her eye to get a better look, a hand grabbed her shoulder. She jolted in fear, turning around to see who had caught her in the act.

   “What are you doing?” Anxious, she stuttered on her words. Nichkhun spoke over her. “Were you spying on me?”

   “Ani, of course not. I was just checking what was behind this door.”

   “Uh-huh,” he mocked glancing at the sign with his name on it. “You sure were curious. What did you think Victoria and me would do? You’re probably jealous. Aren’t you?” This was the truth, but she couldn’t admit it.

   “Jealous? No way!” she shouted.

   “Then why are you here?”

   “Shouldn’t I be asking you the same?” she fought back.

   “I went for a walk, that’s all,” he admitted. “So now, tell me why you’re here.” Yuri frowned, feeling completely embarrassed. His glare intimidated her entirely. Their noses were only inches apart.

   “Aish! Okay, I’m here because I’m jealous.” He nodded in satisfaction. “I can’t believe that I’m jealous over a married man,” she whispered quietly.

   “I thought so…” There was a silence. Both avoided each other’s stare. He cleared his throat and proceeded seriously. “Are you sure that you don’t want to run away?” Yuri lifted her head to find his charm full gaze.

   “You know that I want to, but…