Chapter Three

Taking Care of Taemin

After the members had haggled some fever medicine and lots of water into Taemin, his temperature had slowly gone down over the course of the night, and most of EXO had broken off into pairs where one would sleep while the other would stay awake to watch over Taemin, and they would switch every hour.

This meant that there was a constant stream of at least six worried, and extremely exhausted, members.

The basic pairs were Tao and Sehun, Luhan and Xiumin, Chen and Lay, and then Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo in a team of three.

Kai, Kris, and Suho stayed up all night because, as they put it, it was their "job to take care of Taemin," but it simply boiled down to the fact that they were too worried to sleep. But with the other members taking sleeping/watching shifts, no one got more than four hours of bed-rest.

By the time 6:00AM rolled around, the members of EXO were all sprawled out in various places of the dorm. Most of them were wondering how it was possible to be too tired to worry and yet be too worried to sleep at the same time.

At some point in the night, Kai had crawled into the bed next to Taemin. Taemin didn't seem to mind- he had actually curled himself snugly against his best friend, with his head resting on Kai's chest and his arm wrapping around Kai's stomach. Kai had one arm pulled up behind his head to act as a pillow and his other arm was draped around his sick friend, Taemin's arm with his thumb whenever Taemin got restless in his sleep.

Suho could only glare at Kai in envy because he was beyond tired, and Kai looked oh-so-comfy next to the sick maknae. Kai, seeing his leader's jealous gaze, gave him a half-asleep smirk. Taemin was resting peacefully, and it seemed that for now (as far as his fever went) he was in the clear.

Suho stood up slowly, stretching his legs and back. "Okay... I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to take a little nap. Wake me up if anything happens, okay?"

Kris stood up next, stretching and wincing at his tense muscles. "Yeah... Same here."

Kai just gave them a drowsy nod and closed his eyes, falling asleep in seconds. The two leaders of EXO looked at the two lying on the bed- they really did look like a pair of twins. With Kai's arm wrapped protectively around Taemin's shoulders, and Taemin curled into Kai like a puppy looking for warmth... They were adorable.

Suho smiled brightly, but made frantic shushing motions towards Kris, because if any of the other members caught this little scene there would be pictures and videos and blackmail flying every-which-way.

Suho and Kris slowly waddled to one of the shared bedrooms that was not currently in use, seeing as most of the EXO members were still valiantly trying to stay awake. They deposited themselves on the two separate beds, and Kris hadn't even closed his eyes when he heard a small squeal from the hallway, along with hushed voices.

"Oh, my God! They are just too precious~!"

"Hang on, this is perfect..."

Suho snorted from across the room. "Looks like they found the twins."

Kris gave a sleepy sigh. "Looks like it."

'Click'. 

"Jesus, they're taking pictures... Should we do anything?"

Kris pouted his lips in thought. "Nah," he concluded. And with that, he rolled over and closed his eyes.


When Taemin woke up, the first thing he noticed was the warm body he was lying his head on. Turning his head upwards, he could see the face of his best friend sleeping soundly. Jongin always looked so different when he was asleep- there was none of his usual charm or charisma; no fanservice or y winks. He was just a sleepy teenager.

Taemin moved slightly to get more comfortable and Jongin instinctively tightened his arm around Taemin. He took in a slow breath through his nose and crack his eyes open. "Tae?"

Taemin smiled lightly at his friend. "Hi."

Jongin was still half-asleep, and Taemin found it beyond hysterical. Kai was nowhere to be seen- this was one hundred percent Jongin, the best friend Taemin was seeing less and less of. 

Jongin let out a sleepy moan. "Mmm.... How are you feeling?" 

Taemin still felt awful. Chills continued to wracked his thin body, and the persistent head-ache was still making itself known. He was aching all over.

"I'm okay," he smiled convincingly.

Jongin smiled and lifted his hand to Taemin's forehead once more. "Yeah, your fever's still there, but it's definitely gone down."

Before Taemin could respond, Chen came running into the room with a phone. "Hey Taemin!" He said happily. "Someone wants to talk to you~"

Chen was closely followed by the rest of EXO's beagle line. Taemin didn't know what they were so excited about, but he took the phone anyway, completely confused.

"Hello...?"

"Taemin?"

Taemin sat up in the bed with wide eyes. "Key?" He could already feel the smile forming on his face.

"Hey Taebaby! How are- no, Jonghyun, shut up! I get to talk to him first!"

Taemin tried his hardest not to laugh. "Hi hyung!" He called into the phone, hoping that Jjong would be able to hear him.

On the other line, there was a faint voice calling back. "Hi Taeminnie!" 

This was followed by the distinct sound of Key groaning. "Shut up! So as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted-" this comment was obviously thrown at Jonghyun. "-Taemin, how are you feeling? Any better?"

Taemin didn't want to lie to his hyungs, but he also didn't want them to worry about him. So he decided on telling a half-truth. "Yeah! I'm feeling way better than I was~" 

It wasn't a complete lie. He was feeling better, but he had really stretched the part with just how good he was feeling; he still felt atrocious. But it was worth it when Taemin was rewarded with a giddy laugh from Key.

"Fantastic! That's what I like to hear, kiddo. So you're still taking your medicine, right? And your eating and sleeping enough? Are the guys taking good care of you?"

Taemin could hear a small scuffle on the other line before Minho and Jonghyun spoke at the same time.

"Oh my GOD, Key! Stop being such a mother! Get off, it's our turn!"

"Yeah! We ALL miss him! Give it!"

Taemin was touched by how much his band-mates cared about him. He covered his embarrassed smile with his hand; he could feel the blush rising in his cheeks when he heard Onew in the background, asking when he would get a turn.

EXO watched the whole scene unfold in front of them. They could hear some of what was being said on the other line, but it didn't really matter. Taemin strongly resembled that of a toddler who got to talk to his older brothers while they were away at collage. His eyes had brightened as soon as he heard SHINee's voices, his cheeks were flushed pink in what they assumed was fond embarrassment, and his grin spoke volumes.

They could hear Jonghyun yell something rather vulgar at Key and the blush on Taemin's face darkened. The SHINee maknae gave his soft, signature giggle.

A very sleepy and disgruntled Suho walked into the room, rubbing his eyes. "... Wazz happenin'..?"

Surprisingly, Taemin was the first to react to Suho's appearance, giggling so violently that he almost dropped the phone. The EXO members laughed at how light-hearted Taemin became once he talked to his band-mates.

"Uh, Suho... Your hair, dude..." Kyungsoo spoke calmly, but there was an underlying chuckle in his voice.

Taemin only laughed harder when the source of his comedy was pointed out, rolling up into a ball and falling to the side. Suho's hair was a fluff of chocolate brown, with wild spikes sticking up in different directions.

"Taemin?" Key spoke from the other line once again. "Alright kiddo, the manager is yelling at us to get a move-on. Can we call you later tonight?"

"Definitely, hyung!" Taemin said, trying to contain his child-like mirth. "I love you guys and I miss you all~"

"We love you too, maknae! Talk to you later~!" And with that, Key ended the phone call.

Lay made a face. "Did you get to talk to any of the other members?" 

Taemin gave his friend a playful shove. "No, I didn't."

Chen whooped and rolled over onto his back. "Oh boy~ Key is so in trouble! I'll bet Jonghyun and Minho are ready to jump off the deep-end." He laughed.

"Well, they're going to call again later, right? I can just talk to them then."

"That doesn't mean they're going to be happy." Luhan deadpans his way into the conversation.

Chanyeol lets out a loud, dorky laugh. "No kidding! God, Taemin. Key really mothers you~"

"Not really." When the EXO members give him equally disbelieving looks, Taemin continues. "I mean, he worries a lot, yeah. But it's just his way of caring about us. And he's not always so loving," Taemin scoffed. "Key is the first one to start rough-housing."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever~" Tao said sarcastically. Everyone knew that what Taemin had said was true, but they just enjoyed picking at Key. 

The conversation was cut short when the smell of bacon, eggs, and pancakes filtered into the packed bedroom. 

"Who's cooking?" Kai asked, jumping up and running to the kitchen before he even got an answer.

"That's the whole reason I even came in here," Suho grumbled. "Me and Kris are making some breakfast and I just came to let all of you brats know."

It was almost comical how fast the room emptied out. Kai was already in the kitchen, and the first one to follow him was (surprisingly) Taemin. He carelessly trampled over the bodies lying sprawled out on the bed he had previously been occupying, and ran out of the room with an uncharacteristically loud laugh. Seeing the sick maknae have so much energy seemed to light something in the rest of the EXO members. They rolled, smacked, kicked, and wriggled their ways out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. Of course, the energy didn't just die out after they got to their destination.

Chen and Baekhyun were shoving each other around, and Chanyeol and Xiumin were quick to join in on the rough-play.

"Hey!" Kai yelled over the grunts of laughter from the group that was rolling around in the living room. "We're going to eat all of the food, losers. If you want any I suggest you get over here." He winked at Taemin, who snorted to keep from laughing. If he ever spoke to his hyungs like that, they would loose it.

The thought made him laugh harder.

The group of seemingly wannabe-wrestlers begrudgingly untangled themselves and ran to the kitchen, where they easily disrupted the perfectly formed line of waiting.

"Dude, you're hilarious if you think you're cutting in front of me." Luhan shoved Chen away from where he was trying to squeeze in front of his hyung.

"Well if I have to go to the end of the line, so do they!" Chen pointed at Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Xiumin, who had all happily cut in front of someone.

Lay pushed Xiumin out of the line. "I completely agree with you."

The back of the line was soon filled with grumbled complaints, but everyone eventually got food onto their plates and settled into various places around the dorm- the main three spots seeming to be the living room in front of the TV, the kitchen sitting on the counter, or actually sitting at the table.

Kai and Taemin decided to sit at the table like good dongsaengs.

Kai looked at his friend's plate with distaste. "Is that all you're going to eat?"

Taemin pushed the eggs around a little bit; he knew that he didn't have much on his plate, but he also knew his stomach wouldn't be able to handle much of anything. "Uh, yeah. I'm good." He said with a grimace.

Kai glanced at his best friends pale face with obvious concern. Putting his utensils down, he pushed Taemin's sweaty bangs away from his forehead. Immediately after, he sighed and got up from the table to walk towards the kitchen.

"Where are you going?" Taemin asked, getting up and following Jongin into the kitchen.

Kai sighed and reached into the cabinet where they kept their medicine, looking carefully for the right kind. "Your fevers going back up, Tae. I don't want a repeat of last night, sooo.." He trailed off as he continued looking for the right medication, carefully reading the labels on each pill box.

Taemin blushed at the mention of the previous night. He knew that he had been beyond irrational and it embarrassed him, despite the fact that none of the EXO members would ever hold it against him.

They were like a big group of brothers, to be completely honest. Taemin had noticed how Xiumin would glance at him with worry written all over his face when he thought Taemin wasn't looking, or how Chen would come up to him out of no-where just to cuddle him. Suho, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun were no-so-subtly doting on him, making sure he was always comfortable and content. Kris was the opposite, making sure not to smother Taemin, but watching over him carefully for any sign that showed he was feeling worse. The rest of the boys were all mixes between the categories "smothering mother", "protective big brother", the more chilled-out version of Kris with the "I'm-worried-not-really-but-seriously-I-am" attitude, and then... There was Kai.

Taemin's best friend was in a category all to himself.  

Jongin was protective by nature- it was one of the first things Taemin noticed about him. When they first became friends, Jongin saw a few guys bullying Taemin at school. He was the first person to jump to Taemin's defense; Jongin walked around sporting a bruised cheek and split lip for two weeks, but the guys left Taemin alone and Jongin never complained once, simply stating that "it was worth it" with a large grin.

Jongin was being especially careful with Taemin now. Whenever Taemin was hurt, or sick, or even just emotionally drained, his best friend was always the first to notice something was up. Jongin wasn't smothering Taemin at all- he knew how to keep his protective tendencies to himself, but his closest friends knew that they were safe when he was around. No one was going to touch them when Jongin was near them- not without a violent fight breaking out.

Which is exactly why Jongin was especially worried when it came to sickness. He couldn't do anything for this. He couldn't fight anyone to make the problem go away, he couldn't hug them to make them feel better or to make the tears stop- all he could do is give them medicine and hope for the best. 

When Jongin was a kid, he had a friend who got pneumonia and didn't treat it properly, so he ended up in the hospital for a month after he had to get surgery. It had scared Jongin beyond belief- so naturally, he made sure his friends were taken care of whenever they got sick.

Once Jongin found a medicine for Taemin, he ly to see that Taemin had turned his back to Jongin with his head pressed against the wall. He was shaking and he had gone visibly pale. "Tae?" Jongin tried not to let the panic seep into his tone. He quickly put the box of medicine on the counter and rushed over to his friend. Gently gripping the bottom of Taemin's neck, looking at him from the side, Jongin could see his friend a little better. Taemin's hair was covering his eyes and he was taking deep breaths. "You okay?"

Taemin frantically nodded his head and gave Jongin a thumbs up but he didn't trust his voice and the world was spinning and this migraine had come out of no where and he didn't want to say anything and worry his friend but everything hurt-

Jongin roughly pushed Taemin's hand aside and gripped his friend by the shoulders to turn him around- obviously Taemin wasn't okay and it frustrated him that he was going to lie about it.

"Don't give me that crap, Tae." He growled and pressed his hand to Taemin's forehead again and- yup, his fever was definitely coming back.

Taemin simply shook his head because he was suddenly very, very tired. He wanted nothing more than to slide down the wall and curl up to sleep, but he knew he couldn't do that, so he tried to stay standing up- a plan that ultimately backfired- while Jongin asked him questions. He couldn't hear what the muscled boy was saying though- Jongin's lips were moving desperately, but Taemin's ears were ringing too loud for him to hear. Taemin could feel shaky hands running over his face and through his hair, trying to keep him aware. It felt like ice water had been dumped on him, and his eyes closed for a moment. The second they were shut, however, his body betrayed him. He began to fall forwards, but he was caught by a firm chest and strong arms wrapping around his waist and supporting his head.

When his eyes cracked open again, Jongin was cradling him to his chest, looking down at him with a panic-stricken expression. Taemin had never seen his friend look so genuinely afraid. He tried to move his hand up to run it through Jongin's dark hair to provide some form of comfort, but he couldn't find the strength to lift it so far. So he opted for resting his hand on Jongin's cheek and rubbing the pad of his thumb over his friends skin. Taemin could feel his eyes beginning to close again, the edges of his vision were going dark, and his hand dropped from Jongin's cheek. 

Before he was completely lost to the world, he heard Jongin's distressed voice wailing for the rest of the boys to come quick. There was the sound of pounding footsteps getting closer and closer, louder and louder, Taemin could feel the vibrations in the floor beneath him. But he closed his eyes again and fell into an inky darkness.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Omg I hate myself. (ŏ﹏ŏ '')

Like I finally come back after dropping off the planet for nine months, and I give you THIs. ლ(´﹏`ლ)

DON'T HATE ME YOU GUYS I KNOW IT'S REALLY BAD BUT IDK I JUST LOVE YOU PEOPLE SO MUCH FOR SUBSCRIBING AND READING AND COMMENTING. It legitimately encourages me so much I love you all<3