For A Change

For A Change

"You've got to be kidding me, Lee Sungmin."

Sungmin heaved a long sigh as he continued to put his stuff inside a huge pale yellow box. He was finally leaving his office on that very day, and Kangin, his long time partner, wasn't really liking the idea of Sungmin leaving his own company.

"Who would be sane enough to step down as the president of his own company just because he was sick of gaining money? Seriously, Sungmin?" Kangin kept on nagging, but Sungmin could not really blame him. Kangin was his best friend and his most trusted partner who was with him when he put up LSM Group of Companies to where it was right then. Kangin was of course, upset.

"I'm leaving the company in your hands, Youngwoon," Sungmin mentioned Kangin's real name, which he rarely did. He would only do that whenever he's serious or pissed off. He would always call Kangin because that name was known by everyone. Kangin sat on the chair across Sungmin's former table and crossed his arms over his chest and his legs in an uncomfortable manner. When Sungmin finally finished putting all his things in the box, he placed the box on the table, then he faced Kangin who was not looking at him. "I am entrusting my company to you because even when my parents died, I asked you to represent me and you did well."

"What you said to the Board of Directors was ridiculous and plainly stupid, Lee Sungmin," Kangin said, his voice was a little low compared to earlier. "I am not even acknowledging your appointment of me as the next president, because of all people who could manage the companies better, it's you, not me. And it's yours afterall. Your parents left these to you."

"My parents died when I was just twenty, and of course, that would be the most logical thing that they could do, as if they had a choice back then," Sungmin gave a painful remark, of which Kangin was familiar with. Kangin knew that Sungmin didn't even like to manage the company because of two reasons. First, he liked to live like he did not come from one of the most influential families. Second, he's planning to have a life of his own as a freelance writer without being too dependent with their riches. He also had no choice but to own the company because he also had two reasons. First, his parents died even before he finished college. Second, there was no one who could be the heir to his parents' businesses because he was an only child and his parents assigned him to become the owner and the president in a very young age. "They died too early and I was not given a chance to choose what life I would take."

Kangin looked at him. "You're just saying that because you thought you liked writing the most. But look at how you brought this company up without even telling the whole world that you're the real owner. You have the talent to grow this business even if you don't like it. And I am sure that you are enjoying this."

Sungmin sighed once again then he walked towards the glass window. "I am enjoying this, but this doesn't feel right, Youngwoon."

Kangin stood and approached Sungmin until he was only three steps behind him. "Ever since we were young, I've been here with you. I knew how you always escape everytime you had parties and your parents wanted to introduce you to everyone. I knew how you spent the night alone in your room writing stuff than entertaining your parents' guests. I knew how you disliked everyone thinking that you're only nothing but the son of your wealthy parents. I knew you wanted more than that no one even knew who you really were."

Sungmin faced Kangin and held his arms. "Youngwoon, you know me better than anyone else, right?"

"I do," Kangin said.

"So you need to let me do whatever I want now. I want a quiet life. I don't want to waste my parents' effort so I am appointing you as the new president of all our business," Sungmin squeezed Kangin's arm as a sign of assurance.

Kangin finally accepted his defeat and nodded. Then he smiled. "It's as if they knew that you were the president. I'm just backing you up, remember?"

Sungmin chuckled and gave Kangin a brotherly hug. "Thanks."

***

"This ."

Kyuhyun called for the bartender and asked him to give him another bottle of brandy. He wanted to get wasted. He wanted to make the most out of his life that night because he knew, it could be the last.

His grandfather just gave him a world to handle and it was not his forte. He could not believe that starting tomorrow, his grandfather would turn the company over to him. Sure, he graduated with a Business Management degree, but it was far from what he could manage. He passed only because his family was one of the sponsors of the university's scholarship and that meant, him managing their business would be a disaster.

Even though he threatened his grandfather that in his hands, their business would fall, the old man didn't believe him.

"You're drinking again."

Kyuhyun turned his attention to the woman who sat beside him. "Haneul."

Haneul flirtily s her arm around Kyuhyun's waist and moved only three inches closer to him. Kyuhyun smirked as he grabbed her for a kiss and his own lips after the hot kiss. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Kyuhyun whispered into her ear then he carefully bit it. "Wanna go to my place?"

Haneul moved away then she called the bartender for a cocktail. "Not in the mood."

Kyuhyun drank the content of his glass in one go. "I was actually not in the mood too, but I thought you could give me a reason to be happy tonight." He poured some brandy into his glass again, but he didn't drink it. Instead, he tilted the glass as he watched the liquid inside. "I just hoped I was like this brandy that could just take the shape of the glass."

Haneul drank her newly served cocktail. "You're appointed as the president of your company. I heard from my father."

"The news has wings, like they said," Kyuhyun took Haneul's free hand and played with her fingers, then he kissed them. "Seriously, we need to go to my place."

"You know," Haneul took her hand from Kyuhyun. "I can feel the pressure."

"How do you see me as a president?" Kyuhyun asked and moved closer to the woman. "I would look stupid, right?"

"I guess it won't be as bad as you think, honey," Haneul said and faced Kyuhyun, hooked his arms around Kyuhyun's neck and pulled Kyuhyun as she initiated making out. "And," she mumbled when their lips parted. "I think you would do a good job,"

"You think so?" Kyuhyun asked as he found time to stare at Haneul. "If you said so, my dear," Kyuhyun kissed her again. "My place? It's really getting hot here."

***

"There."

Sungmin almost threw his luggage on the floor. He just arrived at his new apartment that he rented.

The night after he left the company, he decided to leave his house as well and live in the apartment he found few days back.

He sat on the sofa and smiled. He looked around and he became proud of himself. Renting that apartment was a big accomplishment. And knowing that he would start his new life there, he was very excited.

After a few minutes of admiring the place, Sungmin received a call. It was Kangin. He answered it. "Hello?"

"Don't tell me, you also left your house!" yelled Kangin from the other line. He sounded really angry and Sungmin almost threw the phone. "You're really insane, Lee Sungmin. Where are you?"

"I rented an apartment," Sungmin said proudly.

"You're really out of your mind, Sungmin. Why are you torturing yourself!?" Kangin shouted once again. "Lee Sungmin, go back to your house! I didn't agree to this."

"Youngwoon, I am old now. I can take care of myself," Sungmin assured. "And besides, if I got a job and my employer inspected my biodata, they would not hire me once they find out that I am living in an oversized house."

"Lee Sungmin, I agreed to all your stupidity, but this is getting out of hand."

"What will you do?" Sungmin teased. "What will my best friend do?"

"I-I'll," Kangin stuttered for a while but he easily recovered. "I'll live there with you!"

"Now you're stupid," Sungmin laughed. "Kangin, how many times would I have to tell you that-" Sungmin heard a loud bang coming from the other room. "Wait," he told Kangin and walked slowly towards the wall. "I heard a loud bang."

"I told you it isn't safe! I-"

"Hush!" Sungmin hushed Kangin and leaned on the wall. Using his ear, he listened further. There wasn't any sound. "Oh my, I look stupid. I forgot that the wall was too thick for me to hear through the wall." Sungmin walked towards his door and went out. Out of curiosity, he approached the other room's door and like what he did earlier, he listened through the door as he supported himself by holding onto the doorknob. He was horrified when he heard a loud moan and all those sounds he had no wish to hear. "The hell!?"

"What happened?" Kangin was also curious. "Did something happen?"

"I think they're..."

"They're what? Who?" Kangin asked once again.

"Ah!" A woman screamed from the room. Sungmin, out of shock, twisted the knob and when the door swung open, he fell down on the ground.

"O-ow," Sungmin moaned in pain as he tried to stand, but when he was about to stand up, he saw two persons looking at him, not speaking nor creating any noise. Sungmin's eyes widened in surprise and embarrassment. His cheeks burned as he stared at the couple. He wasn't able to move, but when he heard a loud cry from Kangin on the phone, he snapped back to reality and immediately stood. He bowed simultaneously and ran away. He entered his room and slammed the door after him as he breather heavily. "T-That was embarrassing," he told Kangin when he took the phone to his ear. "I just saw a couple doing their thing."

Kangin burst into laughter. "Did they see you?"

"Y-Yes... Ah! I am so embarrassed. I-" he stopped as he heard a doorbell. He panicked. "Oh gosh, I think they're..."

"Don't open the door. Pretend you're not there," Kangin advised. "Ah, I told you to stay away from stupid things!"

The doorbell still rang simultaneously as if the person pressing it would break it. "Gosh, this is bad. I think I need to apologize properly."

Kangin wanted to stop him but Sungmin decided to open the door. The familiar guy was now dressed up and he was glaring at him.

"I-I'm sorry, it wasn't-" Sungmin bowed continuously. "I was just passing by then I-"

"Next time, don't interfere with other's business!" The tall guy said and left.

Sungmin sighed in relief. "I thought he's going to punch me or anything."

"I told you, Lee Sungmin to stay away from trouble," Kangin kept on blabbing so much that Sungmin failed to comprehend most of them. He was still shocked at what he saw, maybe because it was his first time seeing that in person. And to be honest, he never had a girlfriend before. "Anyway, what's your plan now?"

"I'm starting my work tomorrow."

"And you didn't even tell me!?" Kangin was clearly upset based on the tone of his voice. "Lee Sungmin, I don't know what to do with you anymore. How were you able to apply for work without any recommendation letters?"

Sungmin laughed. "I had connections."

"You're a bad man, Sungmin! Don't tell me you-"

"Of course not, my application was legal," Sungmin sat on the sofa. "I just seeked some help from Hyomin."

"Our HR manager who has the biggest crush on you? You're really something," Kangin snorted, and Sungmin laughed loudly. "And you needed two recommendation letters, right? Where did you get the other one?"

"Mr. Cho of Cho Corporation," Sungmin answered honestly, and as expected Kangin was near to going insane. "Ah, come on. It's a good opportunity for me to work there. He knows me and I need someone to-"

"I'll not question you anymore, Sungmin. I've had enough," Kangin ended the call, and Sungmin pouted.

"He must be really mad."

Few days back, when he was on his way to submit his second story, he met Cho Kyujoong again, the owner of Cho Corporation, one of the biggest retail company. The old man just came out from their building so Sungmin greeted him.

Only a few executives from the other industries and companies knew Sungmin as the son of the former owners of LSM Group of Companies, and one of those executives was Cho Kyujoong. They once met in a party three years back where executives of the biggest companies gathered. After his parents died, Sungmin was forced to attend such parties even though he didn't want to. He started to have that kind of life, far from what he wanted. And Kyujoong was not foreign to that. He knew Sungmin didn't like to be in that kind of world, that he only wanted a quiet and normal life.

So when he invited Sungmin to lunch, the latter told him that he stepped down as the president and that he was currently looking for an opportunity, the old man offered him one - to be a secretary of his grandson who was the only heir to the company. Kyujoong explained that he was already too old to manage the business and that his grandson would be the perfect candidate for his position. But Kyujoong told Sungmin that the grandson was not interested in all of those, so he challenged Sungmin to make him be a suitable president of the company.

Sungmin, for whatever reason, accepted the challenge. But he told Kyujoong that once he's completely made his grandson ready for the position, he would resign. And there he got instantly hired.

***

Sungmin woke up early as usual. He had a smile on his face when he realized that he was in his new home now.

He happily jumped out the bed and went to the kitchen to get some coffee. He brought instant coffee because, even though he was used to drinking brewed coffee back home, he would like to erase anything that would make him go back to what he was before.

After getting some coffee for himself, he took it on the table and he sat there.

"This is my first day of work so I must do my best," Sungmin talked to himself. "Oh, and I am going to meet the grandson."

When he finished his coffee, he went to shower, prepared all his documents and recommendation letters that he personally got from Hyomin.

They were friends since high school and he was the one who recommended her to his father when he was still alive. Hyomin was already an orphan, but because of her high grades and her dedication to study and work, she was able to make it to Sungmin's company. And he was glad that even though he helped Hyomin to get in, she reached that far without his help.

He was not foreign to Hyomin's feelings for him. She actually confessed to him, but Sungmin rejected him because he was married to writing.

Kangin was also, of course, a witness to his passion to writing, because he was the first one who read the story Sungmin had written. He also received his first autograph when Sungmin published his first book when he was nineteen, just a year before his parents died in a tragic plane crash. He gained a lot of readers and his book became a best seller in its first two months, even though he used a false name. After that, he wasn't able to publish another book because he had been too busy managing all his parents' businesses.

Speaking of Kangin, he dialled his number. When he heard a yawning Kangin from the other line, he greeted, "Good morning, handsome."

There was silence from the other line. But after a while, he heard Kangin's contagious laugh. "Since when did you learn to flirt, Sungmin?"

"Today," Sungmin chuckled as he put on his clothes. "You're not mad at me anymore?"

"I still am," Kangin replied. "But since you called me handsome, I guess, it's waived."

"Today is my first day of work so wish me luck."

"I don't want to, but fine. Good luck," Kangin said. "I'll sleep for another hour before I go to the office."

"Alright. Thanks, Youngwoon," said Sungmin then he hanged up.

Sungmin finished preparing and he did an encouraging chant while facing the mirror before he went out. But when he was about to go out, he saw the guy who just came out from the other room, the same guy who told him to not interfere with his 'business.' He went back to his room and slammed the door. He literally breathed simultaneously because he got so nervous.

"Not good... I just hope he's already gone down," Sungmin slowly half-opened the door and snuck if the guy was already away. When he didn't see anyone, he finally sighed in relief and opened the door completely, but he almost jumped in shock when he saw the guy standing in front of him. "A-Ah, hi, good morning."

The guy was wearing a corporate suit, and he looked really different from the first time he saw him. "What's so good about you stalking me?"

Sungmin snorted and straightened his back. "Seriously? Who is stalking you?"

The tall guy pointed at him.

"Excuse me! For your information, I just transferred here and I never saw you before," Sungmin was clearly pissed off, because this guy was really getting on his nerves. He was too conceited. "Are you afraid that I might tell everyone what happened yesterday?"

"As if I don't do that frequently," the other guy just shrugged his shoulders. "Then why are you even hiding?"

"Because I-" Sungmin looked away. He didn't know why he was hiding, and he didn't have any reason. "I... I was-"

"Ugh, just stop bothering me," the taller guy turned around and left. Sungmin's cheeks got red in anger.

"Freaking !" He yelled.

***

"What the hell!?"

The person in front of him laughed softly, then it got louder and louder. Sungmin could not believe that he would be the secretary of that conceited .

"Y-You're Cho Kyuhyun, Mr. Cho Kyujoong's grandson? How... why-"

"You're quite surprised," Kyuhyun,swiveled his chair and crossed his legs as he observed Sungmin's horrified face. "Are you disappointed because your arrogant neighbor is your boss? Are you regretting now because you called me an ? Are you scared to get sack at this very moment, even if you're not starting yet?"

Can I backout? Sungmin asked himself as he looked for any escape. "N-Nice to meet you, Sir," Sungmin bowed. Seriously, what am I thinking? He's a piece of crap and I can't give respect to him!

Kyuhyun laughed evilly as he leaned back to his chair, as if he was a tyrant who enjoyed torturing his prisoners. "Acting so nice all of a sudden huh? Is that what poor people do?"

Geez, he is an , Sungmin gnashed his teeth and hid his hands behind him. "So that is what rich people do? I didn't know."

"How would you know," Kyuhyun smirked, making Sungmin annoyed. Sungmin clenched his fists behind him. "You don't have anything like what I have. You don't have a company, you don't have a good house, and you don't have a woman you can toy around with."

God, help me, Sungmin wanted to punch the arrogant boss, but he calmed himself. Kyuhyun was a challenge and he could not just give up that easily. He could not tell him that he owned thrice as much as Kyuhyun's. He had to keep a discreet profile. "Maybe I don't have any of them, Sir, so I am here to work with you."

"For you," Kyuhyun corrected him. Then, he stood and walked towards Sungmin, eyeing him from head to toe. "You look awful."

Sungmin did not react to that. He made sure that he would really look unrecognizable (because awful was a foul word) so that no one would identify him.

Before he went to the office, he had gone to a hair salon and got a new haircut. He also used the thick-framed glasses that he bought once just for the sake of buying it. He removed all his luxuries, including his Patek Philippe watch that his mother bought for his nineteenth birthday, Giorgio Armani wardrobe that was also given to him by his parents' friends, Louis Vuitton shoes that Kangin bought for him, his Porsche car given by his dad when he graduated, and many others given by colleagues or business partners. However, he never liked such expensive items. He would rather buy something from the thrift stores than to spend money for everything expensive that could have been used to feed hungry families all over the world.

While Kyuhyun - he was the complete opposite. He could tell - Kyuhyun couldn't live without those.

"I am not here to dress to impress," Sungmin said firmly and he tried to look unshaken as possible. "I can't afford everything that you have, but then, I don't need them."

Kyuhyun grimaced. "You're really testing my patience. If I fire you right now-"

"You can't do that, Kyuhyun," The great old Cho Kyujoong entered the room, and both of them bowed as a sign of respect. "I personally assigned Sungmin for you."

"Can't you just assign someone else, not this," Kyuhyun paused as he eyed Sungmin. "overconfident brat."

"Kyuhyun! Where are your manners!?" Kyujoong almost yelled, then he apologized to Sungmin in behalf of Kyuhyun. "I'm sorry, Sungmin."

"Seriously! Why are you even apologizing to him!? He's not worthy of your apology, grandpa," Kyuhyun protested. Sungmin just remained silent. "I can't believe this."

"You're already twenty five, Kyuhyun. You should act your age," Kyujoong scolded him. "Sungmin is here to guide you, and as your secretary, he has to obey you. But if you're acting like that, then Sungmin doesn't have to."

"Sir, don't worry," Sungmin smiled at the old man to kill the tension. "It's alright. I am here to work, not to be given any VIP treatment."

Kyujoong sighed. "But if my grandson harrasses you again, just give me a call," Kyujoong turned to Kyuhyun. "I know you're a grown up man, Kyuhyun. And I know that you don't like what I gave to you because it would entail a big responsibility on your part,, but keep in mind that you're the heir to this company. We built this with all our heart, so give all you can to manage it."

Before Kyuhyun could speak, Kyujoong already left. Kyuhyun then focused his attention to Sungmin. "Whatever you did to my grandfather, I swear, I would find out."

"I am not doing anything wrong," Sungmin said with conviction. "You can't find anything about me. If you would excuse me, your HR manager would introduce me to all your employees." Sungmin turned away from Kyuhyun and he confidently walked away. He knew it would be a big challenge, but he would not let Kyuhyun be an uninterested president.

***

Kyuhyun sat back to his chair angrily. Sungmin had something in his sleeves that Kyuhyun could not put himself into. He wanted to find out who he really was and what was his connection to his grandfather.

What if he's just showing off? What if he's really into getting the company by looking trustworthy?

His phone rang and it cut his thoughts. He answered the phone and it was Haneul. "Damn it, what do you want?"

"Kyuhyun, I know that you were not satisfied that was why you broke up with me yesterday, but please, give me another chance!" She pleaded. "If it was not for that guy who disturbed us, we could have-"

"I warned you before. I told you to not fall in love with me because we would only date for a week. And besides," Kyuhyun smirked. "You're boring. Now get lost. I don't want to hear from you or see you again, you ."

He hanged up. Probably, he could give Sungmin his first task after he had come back.

After forty five minutes, Sungmin came back and he immediately called for him, even if he didn't want to. Sungmin went to his office and waied for him to speak.

"Yes Sir?" Sungmin stood in front of Kyuhyun's table.

"I called you because you have your first task. I want you to get Haneul away from me," Kyuhyun told Sungmin who was shocked. "She gave me a boring yesterday so..."

"How can you play with her feelings?" Sungmin asked angrily.

"What is it to you? You're just my secretary, mind you. You're not a friend," Kyuhyun said nonchalantly. "Do whatever I tell you."

"Am I supposed to tolerate all your wrongdoings, just because you're my boss?" Sungmin asked once again, making Kyuhyun narrow his eyes in annoyance. "I'm sure, she's not going to call you anymore, because you're not worthy."

"I am worth everything," Kyuhyun said. "Those girls like me because I am rich, and undeniably handsome. So they are head over heels. I'm not stupid to not take advantage because I literally get anything I want."

"Well, it's your own opinion," Sungmin said. "You can't always have everything that you want. One day, you would wake up without all those things you used to have because of your wrong decisions."

Kyuhyun glared at him. "Are you threatening me? Do you have this kind of plan?"

"I am not here to do that. I am only doing you a favor," Sungmin remained calm as he spoke. "I will not give up on you, Sir. One day, you would be able to be mature enough to handle things on your own, especially now that you're given a load."

"What makes you say that you can make me do that?" Kyuhyun asked with his left eyebrow raised."Do you think you can make me do that?"

"Of course, I can," Sungmin bowed and left once again, leaving Kyuhyun speechless.

***

"I hate him," Sungmin whined as he and Kangin met in a restaurant for lunch two weeks after. "He's such a spoiled brat. He doesn't consider the things that his grandfather is doing for him." Kangin smiled maliciously, and Sungmin noticed it. "You're giving me a weird feeling."

"First, because I am not used to seeing you with thick glasses and," he paused and looked at Sungmin's hair, "short hair, and second, because you're being a hypocrite."

"What was the hypocrisy in that?" Sungmin asked with a raised eyebrows.

"It's as if you did not do the same as what he did. You left your parents' company just to be a secretary to your childish boss," Kangin replied honestly. "Sungmin, I am still against your choice. The company needs you, too."

"I may be a hypocrite but I am doing this because I have this chance," Sungmin explained. "The company is doing well without me because you're there."

Kangin looked away. "I am not sure about that."

Sungmin's eyebrows met. "Why?"

"I have this feeling that Mr. Jung was doing something suspicious," Kangin revealed. "I am investigating now, and if I find out that he's doing something illegal, I would not let it pass."

"He's the biggest stockholder though," Sungmin started his food. "You can't just do something harsh."

"I still haven't got enough evidence, don't worry, I-"

"Oh gosh, the devil is here!" Sungmin whispered and got the menu list from the other table to cover himself. "If he sees me, he'd think I'm-"

"You're exaggerating, Sungmin. Just tell him that I invited you and I would pay for our lunch," Kangin laughed. "It's as if you can't dine in this kind of restaurant."

"It's not the point," Sungmin kept on whispering as if Kyuhyun would really hear him. "He's actually suspecting me of a lot of things like he directly told me that I could be a gold digger."

"What did you do?" Kangin asked. "Little did he know, you really dug more diamonds than golds without even exerting a lot of effort."

"I kicked his leg," Sungmin snickered and it turned into a loud laugh. It was his biggest mistake because Kyuhyun actually heard it. Kangin signaled that Kyuhyun was walking towards their table, and Sungmin kept his composure as he pretended that he was doing nothing wrong. When he looked at Kyuhyun, he pretended that he just saw Kyuhyun. "Oh, hi, Sir!"

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "You told me that you would be eating in the canteen. Why are you even here?" Sungmin winked at Kangin who giggles. Kyuhyun turned his attention to Kangin. "Who are you?"

"I am Kim Youngwoon, Sungmin's best friend," Kangin introduced himself as he stood and stretched his hand towards Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun just looked at his hand then he turned to Sungmin. "I guess your boss isn't that friendly."

Sungmin smiled. "You're dining in here, Sir? Why don't you join us?"

Kyuhyun grins. "I prefer to eat alone. If you'd excuse me," Kyuhyun left and went to the table about two meters away from them.

"I told you," Sungmin said. "He has a really big problem. But then, I can't really blame him. Ever since he became the president of the company, he became too busy that he could not do his extracurricular activities. Well, it's like I am in control of his life because I don't let him play."

"You're cruel," Kangin laughed and took a glass of water and drank.

"He pisses me off, that's why," Sungmin told Kangin. "No one messes with me."

***

He was more than bothered. The two, as he observed, were really close. He wondered what they were talking about.

Are they plotting an evil scheme about our company? Kyuhyun thought, but he knew he was exaggerating. That Sungmin is really up to something.

He wanted to spy more, but he decided not to. He returned to the office after eating. And he was unbelievably concerned about his secretary.

For the past two weeks, he had been cruel to Sungmin, but the latter remained unshaken. He kept on obeying his ridiculous orders and he also made him do some errands for him. He never complained.

Did he really need money that much? Or maybe he's just scared of me?

But in most cases, Sungmin would nag him about him signing up all the papers that he had to sign without reading them, about him not listening to the sales presentations, about him playing games while inside a meeting. Sure, he had more experience than him, because he learned that he had been in other company for almost six years already, but then, Cho Corporation was his now.

And as a person of pride and a man of honor, he didn't want Sungmin to be powerful than him that he could dictate all the things he had to do. He had to make decisions of his own, too.

He started reading some projects and he chose one to study.

He wanted to show Sungmin that he was not the person who had to be taught and supervised.

***

"Damn it!"

Kyuhyun massaged his head as he returned to the office from a meeting with the board.

"They think I'm wrong about this?" Kyuhyun kicked his table hard that it nearly broke. "What do they think of me!?"

"Sir," Sungmin entered the office and closed the door behind him. "You just can't walk out like that just because you're-"

"Can you please... stop interfering with my life? Ever since you came, you have already interfered with everything!" Kyuhyun yelled. "You're a nuisance. You're an eyesore. Why are you even telling me what to do!? You're nothing compared to me!"

"Not all things are meant for you," Sungmin said calmly. "If they rejected your idea, they could have seen something really wrong. You can't please everyone."

"Yeah! That's what you think of me," Kyuhyun clenched his fist then he pointed at Sungmin. "All of you think that I am a failure when it comes to making decisions! Why? Because I used to be careless and uninterested? Because I used to be a spoiled brat?"

"Your grandfather gave you the company because he believes in you. But it really takes time to learn," Sungmin approached Kyuhyun who was again clenching his fists as he was looking on the floor. "I've been in the same situation as you before. I felt that... I didn't like these things but because I had some responsibility, I thought that I could not just let things happen. I have sacrificed my own happiness for six years. All throughout those years, I wasn't able to do things I wanted. I left all the things that I loved to do. I also felt that it wasn't even paying off, but I kept on thinking that it was not for myself alone. I thought that when I did something harsh, a lot of people would suffer, and that's what they were insisting during the meeting. It's not you who would be most affected."

Kyuhyun remained quiet, but his clenched fists got loose.

"I will be here for you, Kyuhyun, not as your secretary, but as your friend. I may not be a friend for you, but I would still be here," Sungmin smiled and held Kyuhyun's arms. "I will help you because I believe in you."

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin. "Why are you... doing this? I've been too harsh to you."

"I don't know," Sungmin shrugged his shoulders and gave Kyuhyun a tap on the shoulder. "Maybe because I see myself in you. And seeing you makes me accept my responsibilities."

Kyuhyun knew that Sungmin's statement had something in it, but he didn't ask any further.

***

For the next few days, Kyuhyun and Sungmin thought of ideas and concepts that Kyuhyun could present to the board. He stayed at Sungmin's place and worked at the office, whichever would work.

"Coffee?" Sungmin offered a cup of coffee to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun shook his head.

Kyuhyun ruffled his hair. "Ugh! This is so hard. I can't think of any ideas."

Sungmin sat beside Kyuhyun. "You know, drinking coffee was my weakness. I didn't want to drink coffee because when I once did, I really threw up so hard. I never wanted to drink coffee again. But someone told me that I needed to challenge myself. The things that I didn't use to do are the things that can help me. And it did." He sipped his coffee.

"So, is that person Youngwoon?" Kyuhyun asked as he browsed the Internet. "You're close, right?"

"Yes. We grew up together. And he witnessed the death of my parents too. We witnessed a lot of things together," Sungmin said as he reminisced the past.

"I wish I had known you longer. And I wish I had been nicer to you," Kyuhyun mumbled. Sungmin laughed. "Why?"

"You've been nice to me. You didn't fire me when I kicked you," Sungmin continued to laugh.

"I deserved it anyway," Kyuhyun smiled. "I was wrong about you."

"It doesn't really matter if you have mistaken a person for what he is not. I've done that to you as well. I thought you were an obnoxious . I guessed I was wrong," Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun. He was far from the Kyuhyun that he met almost a month ago. Kyuhyun had grown mature in such a short time. "Kyuhyun..."

"Hmm?" Kyuhyun hummed.

"It just felt nice to call you with your first name," Sungmin told Kyuhyun who looked back at him. There was silence between them, but it wasn't as awkward as they thought it would be. "But then, you never called me with my first name."

"Are you nuts," Kyuhyun laughed as he typed somthing in his laptop. "I will not call you with your first name until I think of a-" Kyuhyun paused then he shook Sungmin. "Oh my! I have a concept now!"

"Really!?" Sungmin leveled the tone of Kyuhyun's voice. "What is it?"

"It's a secret," Kyuhyun turned away from Sungmin once again. "You'll know tomorrow."

"Unfair-"

"Sungmin."

Sungmin almost dropped his jaw at how serious Kyuhyun sounded when he mentioned his name. It sounded really nice. He almost screamed in joy. The way Kyuhyun said his name, it made his heart flutter.

"I promised to call you with your first name when I think of an idea, right? There you go," Kyuhyun grinned. "Sungmin."

Sungmin hugged Kyuhyun. "I know that you can do it, Kyuhyun. I believe in you, don't forget that!"

Kyuhyun nodded as he hugged Sungmin back.

***

"I did it! I did it, Sungmin! They accepted my proposal!"

Kyuhyun just barged in his apartment. Sungmin wasn't able to attend the meeting because he was sick and he had to be on leave. "Congrats."

"You're still sick? How can we celebrate?" Kyuhyun asked as he approached Sungmin who was lying on his bed.

"We can celebrate here. Just buy something that we could eat and drink," Sungmin suggested.

Kyuhyun excitedly accepted the idea. "Okay. Just wait here." When Kyuhyun got back, he had a bag of chips and some canned beers. "Let's get drunk!"

"I guess you'll be the only one who would get drunk," Sungmin laughs weakly then he sits on his bed. Kyuhyun helped him. "I'm still dizzy. I didn't even know why I caught a cold."

"Because you've been with me since I stayed in this apartment, and we both had sleepless nights together thinking of a good concept," Kyuhyun said as he took the chips and beers out from the plastic bag and put them on the mini table near Sungmin's bed. "You can just watch me drink."

"No, I'll drink one can," Sungmin said and grabbed one can of beer. "I can't just stand by and see you get drunk."

Kyuhyun sighed in defeat as he opened a can of beer. "It's my first time doing this. I am used to drinking expensive liquors and wines. But ever since I became a president, I realized that money wasn't really too easy to get."

Sungmin just nodded and open the can of beer, then he drank its contents. "I'm happy that you realized that. I thought you would never."

"Sungmin," Kyuhyun called, making Sungmin look at the former. "If... if I tell you that I'm going to do my best in managing the company, would you help me?"

Sungmin looked at the can of beer that he was holding and tilted it front and back. "I'm sure you can do that alone."

"I can't do that alone. I need your help. I need you," Kyuhyun almost yelled as he stared intently at Sungmin. When Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun, the latter looked away. "I... I've never told anyone that I needed them because I thought, I could do everything alone. But ever since you came, I became a really different person."

"As much as I wanted to stay, I also have a dream to fulfill. I left all that I had because of that dream, so I am trying to be true to my words," Sungmin confessed. "I promised your grandfather that once you're ready, I would resign."

Kyuhyun felt that his heart sank down. "I thought..." Kyuhyun drank the beer in one go, then he smiled at Sungmin. "I don't want to talk about bad things now, so let us just celebrate, okay?" Kyuhyun opened another can and stretched his arm to Sungmin. "For the company! Cheers!"

Sungmin smiled. "Cheers."

***

Kyuhyun woke up with his head leaning on the corner of Sungmin's bed. It was only three thirty in the morning. 

He felt a little light headed as he straightened his back. 

He almost finished eight cans of beer all by himself, and Sungmin finished two. He massaged his head then after a while, he stopped when he noticed that Sungmin's blanket was not totally covering his body. He adjusted to cover Sungmin's shoulders with blanket. He also noticed that Sungmin was still wearing his glasses while sleeping. 

"Aish, this guy," Kyuhyun slowly removed his glasses and put on the table. Then he stared at Sungmin. He bit his lip when he realized that Sungmin was pouting while sleeping. It looked like he was sleeping peacefully and it seemed that his temperature got low already. Kyuhyun felt a little awkward when he watched him sleeping and he was particularly looking at his lips.

He took his hand over Sungmin's forehead and brushed the excess hair covering it.

Not certain why, his heart beat so hard while watching him. It wasn't a common feeling to him. And he suddenly had the urge to kiss Sungmin. When he was about to lean forward towards him, he shook his head. "Damn it. No... stop. He's not like the others."

Sungmin moved and half-opened his eyes, seeing Kyuhyun's face almost three inches above his. Kyuhyun blushed as he went back to sitting position. 

"A-Are you awake already?" Kyuhyun awkwardly asked.

Sungmin just hummed and went back to sleep. Kyuhyun sighed in relief.

After a while, Kyuhyun contemplated if he would go back to sleep because he honestly could not. Sungmin was still sleeping and he hated how he almost took advantage.

His thoughts got cut when Sungmin's phone rang. Sungmin was still sleeping so he could not hear it, so Kyuhyun decided to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Sungmin, this is me Youngwoon."

Kyuhyun suddenly got irritated for no reason. "This is not Sungmin. This is his boss."

"What? W-Why do you have his phone?" Kangin panicked.

"Sungmin is currently sleeping beside me, so I don't want you to disturb us," Kyuhyun was laughing in his mind because he knew that Kangin was panicking. "Don't worry, I was gentle."

"You ing !" Kangin yelled. "If you hurt Sungmin I swear-"

"What would you do?" Kyuhyun laughed. "You're there and I'm here. Sungmin is mine you . Don't you ever go near him again, do you understand?" Kyuhyun hanged up even before Kangin could speak.

"Kyuhyun! What did you do!?" Sungmin woke up all of a sudden. Kyuhyun was startled that he almost threw Sungmin's phone. "Was that Kangin?"

"I... I was just teasing him," Kyuhyun replied. "Why is he even too overprotective?"

"As I told you before, he's the one who has stayed with me ever since my parents died!" Sungmin said. He stood and grabbed his phone from Kyuhyun's hand. Kyuhyun got it back again when Sungmin was about to dialed Kangin's number. "Hey!"

"I don't want you to be close to that Youngwoon anymore!" Kyuhyun yelled and threw the phone that it broke. Kyuhyun got shocked with what he did, and so did Sungmin. "I-I'm... sorry-"

"You're too unreasonable, and you are going back to your childish self again! What is it to you? Youngwoon is my best friend so you have no right to do this to me because you're only my boss!" Sungmin cried.

Kyuhyun swallowed. "I-I'm sorry." He left Sungmin and Sungmin just sat on the floor as he fixed his phone.

"T-This is the first phone I've ever bought with my first salary as a writer..."

***

There was silence between them all day in the office. They would only talk to each other when they needed something from each other. It went on for three days.

When Sungmin was about to go to the HR manager to submit his resignation letter effective next week, he overheard something about LSM Group of Companies.

"Did you hear? LSM Group of Companies is under bankruptcy because one of the major stockholders allegedly stole the half of company's assets," said one employee.

"W-What!?" Sungmin almost grabbed the employee's collar. "W-Where did you learn about that?"

"I-It was all over the news," the employee answered. "Turn the television on and watch the news!"

Sungmin ran towards the pantry and turned the TV on to watch the news. Kyuhyun saw him running so he decided to follow him in the pantry.

Showing some clips, the reporter stated, "Mr. Bohyun Jung, a major stockholder in LSM Group of Company was arrested for allegedly stealing half of the company's assets. The assets and all other investments from some stockholders were taken away and were nowhere to be retrieved. It is said that Mr. Kim Youngwoon, the current officer-in-charge, was paying damages to other stockholders with his own money. In his interview today, Kim said that he would not let others down and he would return everything that Jung stole. This is MBS news."

Sungmin's knees got weak as he almost fell down on the ground. He could not believe what happened. He thought that the company that his parents built would be okay. He was wrong.

He dialed Kangin's number and the latter answered. "Sorry, S-Sungmin.... Sorry. I... I can't... face you. It's my fault... I will try to get the money back..."

"Youngwoon... it's not... Everything is going to be alright. I'll be... I'll be coming back. I will do my best to help," Sungmin said, his tears falling down. "This is my fault... if I was just... If I only set my selfishness aside, this would have not happened to my parents' company. I'm sorry..." He sobbed as he ended the call. He tucked his phone in his chest.

Kyuhyun bit his lip as he watched Sungmin cry. He felt that he could not do anything, but he had to do everything to help Sungmin. He could not understand why Sungmin left his company, but he would do everything for him.

He ran away and left the company to go to his grandfather's house.

"Grandpa, I-"

"Thanks for the help, Bohyun," His grandfather ended the call then he turned around. "Oh, Kyuhyun. You already heard."

"You dirty old-" Kyuhyun almost charged towards his grandfather. "Y-You... you're the one behind this? You-"

"I am still your grandfather, Kyuhyun," Kyujoong stated seriously. "I am doing this for you. For the company. Now that Sungmin is on our hands now, I can't let the chance go."

"But you are playing dirty, grandpa!" Kyuhyun shouted. "Sungmin does not deserve this. After what he did to me, for the company, this is what you're paying him back?"

"In this industry, you really need to play dirty in order for you to get everything that you want," Kyujoong smirked and sat on his chair. "In this case, Sungmin's our ace. We need to play the game very carefully in order to win."

"I can't let you use Sungmin like this! It's his parents' company and it's Sungmin's responsibility to make it stand and grow-"

"Exactly," Kyujoong cut Kyuhyun's statement. "But what did he do? He left the company, entrusted it to other people. Why? Because he was selfish."

"How can someone be selfish if he only wants to fulfill his dream?" Kyuhyun asked angrily. "I never wanted to play this kind of game just to get whatever I wanted. I thought you're the nicest person I've ever met because you let me manage a successful company even though I am lacking and I don't deserve it. I thought wrongly because I bet, what you did to make this company grow was done in a bad way. I expected a lot from you because I thought you're great. I guess I am wrong. You're the one who is selfish because you're the one who doesn't think about others."

There was silence.

Kyuhyun said and he turned around. "I promise that I will help him on my own."

"What will you do?" His grandfather asked. "Tell him that I am the mastermind? Then what? Do you think you can have his trust when he finds out that your grandfather is behind all these?"

"I love Sungmin and even if he'd hate me for this, I'd still help him whatever it takes," Kyuhyun walked away and left the door open. Kyujoong's body almost shook because of the tension.

***

Sungmin and Kangin met in a bar that night.

A bartender called Sungmin. He was too drunk that he could not be spoken with. Sungmin fetched him and took him to his apartment, since it was nearer the bar.

"S-Sungmin... I'm really sorry... I let you down... I-" Kangin cried as he tried to stand, but he fell, and Sungmin assisted him. "It's g-good that y-you're here for a s-stupid person like m-me!"

"You're drunk, Kangin. Drinking will not solve our problems," Sungmin said calmly as he assisted him towards the elevator.

"E-Eh, let's work tonight..." Kangin insisted. The elevator doors opened and Sungmin almost dragged Kangin out.

"I will not let you drink anymore. We'll solve the problems once you're fine," Sungmin said as they walked towards his room. He searched for his keys inside his pocket. When he got them, he opened the door and dragged Kangin inside.

"You're such a good friend. You are still not angry with me," Kangin smiled with his eyes closed while facing Sungmin. "That is why I really, r-really like y-you!"

Sungmin blushed. "Ah, Youngwoon, stop it," he looked away and tried to close the door with free hand. He temporarily let go of Kangin when he was not able to close the door properly.

"That is true, Sungmin," Youngwoon insisted once again and pulled him "D-Do you know w-why I'm doing this for you? B-because I love you so m-much!"

Sungmin sighed and held Kangin's waist. "Yeah right. Tell that to me when you're already sober."

"W-Why can't you... tell me you love me too?" Kangin asked seriously, now with his eyes open facing Sungmin. Sungmin got startled. "Is it because you have fallen in love with someone else? I won't let it if it's Kyuhyun. He's a bad guy. He ."

Sungmin almost blinked in awkwardness. He tried to take Kangin to his bed. "Why was Kyuhyun even dragged into this?"

Kangin laughed. "Because I-I have t-this feeling t-that he loves you! I won't let him though, because you're mine... and h-he d-didn't even do s-something for you!"

Sungmin couldn't help but feel flattered, but deluding himself wasn't really necessary that time. "A-Aish, just go and lie down on the bed-" Kangin and Sungmin fell on the floor because they were out of balance. Sungmin's back collided with the floor, and Kangin was over Sungmin. "S-Stand up... You're heavy..."

Instead, Kangin locked Sungmin in between his arms and stared at him, as if he was sober. "I will just s-stand up, when y-you tell me that y-you love m-me."

***

Kyuhyun tried to gather his strength outside Sungmin's room. He's going to reveal his feelings, and assure him that he'll help him  recover his company. If he's not going to do that that night, he might have no chance anymore.

When he was about to knock, he realized that the door was slightly open. "Eh?" He pushed the door and he was shocked to see Kangin over Sungmin on the floor.

"I love you, now... stand up. Iet's just transfer to the bed," Sungmin stopped as he saw Kyuhyun near the door. He pushed Kangin who fell on the other side.

"A-Ah, am I disturbing you? I-I'm sorry... I saw the door was open," Kyuhyun stuttered and turned around. "I'll just come after you... d-do your thing. Bye," he closed the door and ran back to his apartment. His heart was beating fast. "Did S-Sungmin just tell him... he loves him?"

It was unbelievably painful. It was his fault anyway. Why did he even hope? Sungmin clearly told him that he was just his boss. It . It so bad that the person that he wanted the most could not be his.

No matter what, he'd still be there for Sungmin just like what he did when he was in his place.

***

The day before Sungmin's official resignation, Kyuhyun attempted to visit Sungmin in his apartment. 

"Hi..." Sungmin gestured to let Kyuhyun in, but Kyuhyun declined. "No, I'll not stay long. I just want to as if you're really resigning."

Sungmin bowed. "It's really the most logical thing to do. My company needs me," Sungmin then looked at Kyuhyun. "Sorry if I didn't tell you."

Kyuhyun chuckled. "I feel guilty about insulting you when we first met."

Sungmin smiled thriftily. "No worries."

After a minute of silence, Kyuhyun spoke again. "Sungmin... I just want to thank you for everything. All the things that you taught me. I also... want to help you in every way that I can. I'll invest my money in your company. I'll-"

Sungmin shook his head as he held Kyuhyun's arms. "Knowing that you are concenred, it's enough for me."

Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin slowly into a hug, which Sungmin gladly accepted. he s his arms around Kyuhyun's waist, and Kyuhyun did the same as he put his head on Sungmin's shoulder. "Will you come see me when you're business is finally doing well?"

Sungmin nodded. "Of course. By that time, both of us we'll be doing well."

Kyuhyun pulled himself from the hug. "There is something I need to say to you, but you don't need to be bothered," Kyuhyun held Sungmin's cheeks and stared at him intently. "I am in love with you. I honestly can't let you go. But because I love you, I will." Sungmin blushed with the confession. His heart beat fast, his feelings were mixed. "Please... be happy with Youngwoon."

Kyuhyun turned around and prepared to leave, but Sungmin called his name, then he turned back again to kiss him. Sungmin stepped back in shock, but he let Kyuhyun and kissed him back. When he ended the kiss, Sungmin whispered, "I love you too, Cho Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun looked at him, his eyes twinkling. "Y-You..."

Sungmin nodded. "I... I needed to go, but I don't want you to disappear in my life. I always want you near me. I always want to be with you because I love you.

Kyuhyun gave him a long kiss once more. "B-but you said you..."

"Love Youngwoon? I just said that for him to get off of me."

"Why is he even above you on the floor?" Kyuhyun asked again.

Sungmin laughed. "You're so green-minded. He's drunk. And he's-" Sungmin almost screamed when Kyuhyun lifted him out of the blue. "K-Kyuhyun! Put me down!"

Kyuhyun smirked. "I am really a ert. You'll prove it later," Kyuhyun winked and took Sungmin inside the room. Then, he stopped.  "Oops, I need to lock the door. Just in case someone would try to disturb."

Sungmin giggled, hooked his arms around Kyuhyun's neck and kissed him.

***

"Sungmin! Sungmin wake up!" Kyuhyun shouted and tried to wake Sungmin up. "Look at the news!"

Sungmin scratched his eyes and sat on the bed. "W-What is it?"

"I turned the television on, and looked at what it said! The money that was stolen from your company was finally returned!" Kyuhyun excitedly said as he hugged Sungmin. "Your company is finally recovering, Sungmin!"

Sungmin almost cried in joy. "O-Oh my gosh..."

Kyuhyun kissed his forehead. "You don't have to think about it... you can be a writer now."

Sungmin smiled and shook his head as he held Kyuhyun's hand. "I decided to continue the business as the president. Youngwoon is right. I might have not noticed it, but I learned to love managing my parents' businesses. And now, I can call them mine. I will not be tired of the riches that I will receive and earn - I'll just give them and donate them to the people who needed them most. And besides, I have a new dream now," Kyuhyun's eyebrows met. Sungmin pointed at him. "You."

Kyuhyun gave him a light peck. "I am so proud of my boyfriend."

Sungmin pouted. "Boyfriend? Since when?"

"We made love for three consecutive times yesterday, and we'll have the fourth time before we go to work. Don't tell me, we're still boss and secretary?" Kyuhyun chuckled and Sungmin's face turned red. "Aw, you're so cute."

"U-Ugh, so embarrassing!" Sungmin hid his face.

"I love you, Sungmin," Kyuhyun mumbled and went above Sungmin as he kissed him passionately."I love you so much."

***

"Thanks grandpa." Kyuhyun ended the call. Kyujoong walked towards the balcony. Kyuhyun called, asking what happened. Kyujoong said that he wanted to correct all the wrong things that he had done, so he returned the money. Kyuhyun was contented, and he was surely happy.

Kyuhyun and Sungmin continued their lives as presidents of their own companies. Kyuhyun continued to manage the company well, and his project was successful. Sungmin was able to publish his second book based on his and Kyuhyun's story of change. 'For A Change' was its title.

"You're sure you'll not tell them that we're behind all of these? That we did this for them to discover what they really liked?" Kangin asked the old man. "That you're not Bohyun's ally and the money that you gave was yours alone? That I seeked for your help?"

"No. I'm contented that I was able to help," Kyujoong smiled. "Thanks to you, Kyuhyun became mature. And Sungmin also discovered that he liked to manage the business and how his parents' businesses are important to him."

"I love Sungmin. I want him to be happy and I don't want him to regret," Kangin said. "That's why I told him that I could not remember what happened when I was drunk."

"What matters is they're happy because what they have undergone."

"Yeah."

***

END.

Happy 8th Anniversary KyuMin! Sorry for the 2 days overdue T-T