[2]

Of Writing and Cherry Blossoms

A/N: I meant to finish the story and had the outline filled out, just never got around to. I hope you all still enjoy the story, however! The highlighted parts are the unwritten scenes of the story.

 


 

The Devil’s Spawn: you are so dead
The Devil’s Spawn: gfdi I told you in confidence!!!
The Devil’s Spawn: don’t come to work today
The Devil’s Spawn: bc I am coming to murder you
Kana: lol that’s kind of violent
The Devil’s Spawn: how the hell did you find those videos
Kana: it’s a secret ;)
Kana: gege~ don’t be mad~ buing~~~
Kana: and you owe me big time for that horrible lunch experience
The Devil’s Spawn: this is not the end
The Devil’s Spawn: you will regret this
The Devil’s Spawn: I’m downstairs
The Devil’s Spawn: prepare for hell

 

Sure enough, Lu Han’s swanky new Audi R8 Coupe was parked at the elevator exit of her parking structure. A window rolls down and he glares for her to get in the car.

“Today’s my off day!”

“Emergency business meeting, you’re coming.”

“Unless that emergency will get me a quadruple raise or you’re going to die, then no.”

“Fine, I will berate you for breaching the bro code of not spreading my pre-debut days. Where are you going?”

Kana hesitates and feels strangely guilty. “I uh, I have to meet some…people.”

He leans over to see what she’s wearing and realizes that they are interview clothes. “Get in, I’ll take you.”

Further resistance was futile, especially when Lu Han has his mind set on something. He doesn’t immediately start whining about his pre-debut videos however and this worries her a little. Once she plugged the address into his GPS, he drove in silence.

“So, nice day?”

“Who are you interviewing with?”

“Publishing company for a small editing job…”

“Huh. Are you preparing for possibly getting fired for digging up my pre-debut videos and SENDING THEM TO CHANYEOL MY REP IS RUINED DO YOU UNDERSTAND.”

Kana can’t help but laugh at his sudden outburst; Lu Han’s true personality only showed when he wasn’t under close scrutiny of anyone business related (with the exception of his chauffeur). When she manages to control her laughter she tries to assuage him with, “Your singing is actually pretty decent. I was a little iffy about the hair though—do cornrows hurt?”

Lu Han swerves dangerously in an attempt to make a controlled left turn. “This morning alone I got fifteen incriminating messages containing an obscene amount of unflattering screenshots. It got me thinking about the giant pile of unsorted documents in the filing cabinet.”

“Hey at least they had the sense to not put it on the company bulletin board—”

“And also the company charity gala invitations. You’re a writer; you know calligraphy right?”

“I will write them in purple crayon.”

“I write your paycheck.”

Their conversation continued in useless banter until they arrived.

“Thanks for the ride.”

“Yeah, good luck with the interview.” Lu Han drives off with a strange feeling of loss. She was probably going to get the job and have to quit being his PA. He forces himself to ignore the hollow feeling craving itself in his stomach.

The emptiness is too much though and ten minutes later he finds himself eating an entire tray of pastries alone. It was brunch hour on a workday and he was glad no one was there to witness his less-than-graceful eating. Out of habit, he checks Kana’s blog. To his surprise, there was a new post.

“Really ing done with myself. Suffocating in ice cream doesn’t sound like a bad way to go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kana plops herself down in front of Chanyeol at a booth in Lover’s Pint. He looks around uncomfortably but pushes a bowl of ice cream towards her with concern in his eyes. She digs in without a word.

“So…how did the interview go?” When she doesn’t immediately respond, he quickly adds, “Do you want lunch?”

With a mouthful of ice cream, she responds, “Tell me I’m dumb, Chanyeol.”

“Alright, if you’re just going to wallow in despair, I’m out. I do not want Baek—anyone seeing us together in this compromising situation.” The threat wasn’t empty; he had recently run into a Byun Baekhyun and may or may not have fallen head over heels for Lu Han’s cute assistant executive.

“I blew it. I told them I didn’t believe in what they were doing and walked away from the only close-to-writer’s job I was offered.”

“But I thought you were excited about it. I mean, didn’t you want to get off of that PA job?”

“I never said I wanted out.”

“Um, every other time we talk, you only mention how Lu Han is really Satan-in-training.”

“He’s not so bad.”

“Kana, do you want to stay as his PA?”

She pauses and tries to find a coherent answer. Before she can speak though, his eyebrows shoot up and he smiles knowingly at her. “What?”

“You like him.”

“…what.”

“You like Lu Han. That’s why you were so brave to give up that editing job. That’s why you want to stay as his PA before you find a writing job. That’s why he’s been all you’ve been talking about.”

“That’s not true.” There’s a sinking feeling in her stomach that it might be.

“Yeah well, you have time to figure it out,” he winks.

Just as he was about to get up to leave, a figure walks into the ice cream parlor and waves hello to him. Chanyeol freezes, makes a spastic hand motion that could probably pass for swatting a fly, and grins too widely. Kana turns around and watches Byun Baekhyun, assistant exec to Lu Han, walk up to them.

“Hello Mr. Byun,” she greets.

“You look like ,” he comments. Then, with a blinding smile, he greets Chanyeol, “Hey.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“No really, are you okay because that is a lot of ice cream.”

Chanyeol guffaws and earns glances from surrounding patrons. “…ice cream…ah hahahaha.”

“I’m just indulging. How do you two know each other?”

“We met at a party!” Chanyeol offers enthusiastically.

Baekhyun his head to the side, sharing a knowing smile with Kana. A knowing smile that said, "He's weird, but in a cute way." He checks his watch and straightens. "I have an incredibly boring meeting to get to, but it was nice running into you guys!"

 

 

 

“You’re absolutely smitten.”

“What, no.”

“Please Chanyeol, you were this close from tackling him with a hug.”

“I was not. I was just…excited to see…a familiar face. Hey mind your own business.”

“Oh. Oh okay I was going to deal you the deets on Baekhyun but I guess, you know, mind my own business.”

“Wait, wait no I didn’t mean—”

“I’m well aware of what you meant, Mr. Park.”

Chanyeol heads back to work while sneering at Kana. The ice cream parlor is near empty at this odd hour. As she is leaving the place, a row of toy dispensing machines catches her eye. Smiling, she turns in 500 won for a small round container and heads out.

Deciding to make the most of her day off, she takes the sidewalks home. After a few blocks, she is smack in the middle of the financial district, lost without Lu Han’s chauffeur to pick her up. It was a nice kind of lost though; it gave her mind some time to wander. Strangely enough, most of her thoughts returned to Lu Han. For example, right now he should be walking into a meeting with one of his toughest investors.

As if the universe was trying to tell her she couldn’t get away from The Devil’s Spawn, Lu Han is stepping out of a black SUV in front of her. Kana meets him halfway to the building’s steps.

“Lu Han!”

“Hey,” he replies, surprised. “Did you plan this?”

“No, I was just passing by on the way back. You’re meeting with the ugly frowney face’s dad so…good luck!”

“I just hope he doesn’t dive into potential wedding guests again.”

Kana raises her fist. “Gege~ jia you~! Oh and,” she reaches into her pocket and pulls out the toy container from the ice cream parlor.

“Oh please don’t propose, my dream proposal has always been on a yacht with beautiful girls dancing around—”

“There’s leprechaun’s gold in there, jeez, if you don’t want it…”

Lu Han pockets the container, bites back a smile, and heads into the building. Inside the elevator, he pops open the container and unwraps a plastic ring. After a good minute or so, he manages to decipher the poor molding and paint job and smiles as he slips the pink bunny-Hello-Kitty-mutant around his finger. No one dares to question his fashion choices and when Naeun’s dad asks, Lu Han tells him the truth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kana waits at a nearby coffee shop (mostly to hitch a free ride), dragging out her cheapest-iced-tea-on-the-menu sipping until Lu Han finally exits the building. His negative aura could be felt from a few feet away and she does her best to pretend to not notice.

“Do you want to talk about it?” she asks, throwing in a teasing lilt to her tone. Lu Han opens his mouth to answer but his eyes shift to something behind her.

It was Naeun. A very semi-controlled angry and fast-heel-clicking Naeun who was storming toward them.

“I’ll, uh, wait in the car.”

Lu Han touches her sleeve briefly. “Just…a minute.”

“Lu Han…” Naeun takes a brief moment to nod imperceptibly at Kana, lips pursing. She turns back to her to-be-fiancé, eyes burning. “What was that all about?”

“The meeting with Director Jung?”

“I mean with my dad. You walked out of the contract renewal with your company. Do you even know what that means for us?”

“I made a business decision to preserve the integrity and profits of my company.”

“Do you realize that contract was—”

“Founded on personal relationships and a friendship that Director Jung was obviously willing to sacrifice?”

“Lu Han, you have royally pissed off my dad. There’s no contract. There’s no…what’s that?” Her eyes zoom onto the plastic toy ring around his right ring finger. Kana gasps internally and calculates the possibilities of ripping it from his finger without Naeun noticing.

He shrugs. “Something important.” Naeun’s pretty little head looked like it was about to explode. Kana prayed for Lu Han’s soul because really, Lu Han, a piece of plastic was going to destroy his arranged marriage and company’s potential outlook. He drops his hand and sighs. “Naeun, I let my father’s destiny for me take charge once so now, I’m in charge. You should think about doing the same…you deserve better.” As if to seal the deal, he smiles a business smile and nods at Kana to head to the car.

He opens the car door for her without a word and she slides inside apprehensively; it was either burst out cursing all the corporate jerks that made his life miserable or grumble in angst-y silence mode.

It turned out to be neither.

“Take me to the park near Yonsei.”

Kana didn’t bother asking if she could be dropped off at the local high school academy so she could just hop on a bus and head straight home. She watches him at the corner of her eye and wonders what awful things must have transpired between him and his future-father-in-law.

As if to answer her thoughts, his phone starts singing “Run Devil Run” by SNSD. There is a brief silence before Lu Han breathes a tired “Hello, Father”.

The next couple minutes are filled with Father Lu’s static yelling. Lu Han answers politely in Mandarin and finally sighs before turning off his phone.

They reach the park in complete silence. He had been leaning his head against the window and sighed when the vehicle slowed to a stop. Turning to Kana, he asks, “Do you want to take a walk?”

She isn’t sure what he meant by the question; take a walk through the park or take a walk back downtown and to her apartment because that would be insane, no thanks. Kana nods anyway because the weary look in his eyes borders on sorrowful and she can't not handle those giant deer eyes looking that sad.

He was already quite far ahead on the path when she gathers her things and trails after him. His blazer is tucked loosely under an arm and his tie undone, half a shirt tail hanging out. He looks so very lonely and strangely young.

Once she catches up, they continue in a comfortable silence. Out of curiosity, she peeks at his right hand...the ring is still there.

“You went to Yonsei?” Lu Han stops in the middle of the path of cherry blossom trees, eyes staring off towards the brick buildings that marked Yonsei University.

She nods and sighs. “It’s been a while.”

“Hm…lucky you.”

“Hm? Why, do you take walks here often?” She meant it jokingly but he smiles briefly. An idea pops into her head and she trudges on, waving for him to follow. “C’mon, let me show you something.”

“It better be good.”

Kana leads him to the square of one of the arched buildings, a popular place for acapella groups to practice since the acoustics were clear thanks to the architecture. She points to a bench and he raises his eye brows as he sits down.

“This is the singing bench.”

He looks around dubiously and asks, “Because of the acoustics?”

“Oh, good job. You should try it.”

Lu Han rolls his eyes and leans back with his eyes closed. “I’m just going to take a nap.”

It's Kana’s turn to roll her eyes. “Alright, I’m going to nap too. This day has been an emotional trainwreck”

Minutes pass in silence. Kana absorbs the sounds of university and reminisces her time as a student. Suddenly, a soft voice begins to sing. Slow, steady, and beautiful. The notes bounce off the arches and take flight. She opens her eyes and looks at her seat mate. His eyes are still closed, head resting on the bench, but his voice carries one of the most beautiful songs Kana has ever heard...okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but she's still pretty darn mesmerized. 

When he finishes, she claps briefly and nods. "That was good."

"Good?" he sits up, cocking an eye brow at her. "You just witnessed greatness. And that was without my band."

"Meh...could be better."

Lu Han gets up and clears his throat. "Well, um, thank you for listening..."

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"I'm not saying it again."

"You know that cover of JJ Lin's--"

"Thank you! Okay, now can we eat, I'm starving."

 

 

 

 

 

 

There’s a meeting of some sort with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Lu Han’s other exec. Lu Han does something to piss her off and Baekhyun comments that she’s smiling while saying “I’m so angry” and Chanyeol is smitten, telling him he’s so observant wow claps. (He also later asks Kana if Baekhyun is in a relationship, she tells him that Baekhyun is—later revealed to be with his work—and he sighs because that Baekhyun is so in tune with others’ emotions and he’s really cute—she drops this cute comment later and Baekhyun is red.) Lu Han admits that that’s what makes her scary sometimes because sometimes he can’t tell if he should give her extra work or etc.

 

“What’s this?” Baekhyun picks up a small object from Lu Han’s desk and twirls it in his fingers. “Didn’t know you were into this kind of stuff, hyung.”

“Don’t go through my stuff,” Lu Han replies absently, fingers posed over yet another document he has to sign.

Baekhyun joins his side and bats his eyelashes, splaying his fingers over the document. “Omo, Lu Hannie oppa! Is this your proposal ring? Naeunnie accepts, oppa! I accept!” he coos in an earsplitting high pitched voice. Kana barely glances at the object; there was a strange sick feeling in her stomach especially now that Baekhyun planted the image of Lu Han proposing to Naeun.

Lu Han glares at Baekhyun and attempts to wrestle the ring back. “It’s not. Stop messing with my stuff.”

His annoyance only fuels Baekhyun’s glee and he twists away, crouching protectively over his hands as Lu Han grabs his arms and tries to headlock him. “Omo, oppa, you’re being so forward! I already accept, oppa!”

“I. Am. Not. Proposing. To. Her. Argh!” Kana breathes a silent sigh of relief when the two grown men untangled from each other and straightened their suits. She catches Lu Han glancing briefly at her before pocketing the ring.

Baekhyun chuckles. “Jeez, so protective of your love item. Is that how you protect your love with Naeun?”

He earns a punch on the arm for that (although based on Lu Han’s nonexistent gym record, it probably hurt as much as a swat). “You know how I feel about Naeun.”

 

 

After the meeting, Lu Han spins in his chair with eyes trained on Kana as she arranges tomorrow's work pile.

He clears his throat. "So, tomorrow's meeting with Mr. Huang will be catered right?"

Kana looks up. "Yeah, we made sure it was vegan because he just discovered animal creulty in the luxury product industry. Is there something you wanted to add?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kana finally gets a publisher to accept her novel and she’s going to meet with editors to fix it up. My dream is almost realized, what about yours? He concedes that he’s been meeting up with his old bandmates and it’s been really therapeutic. They have a small show and Kana attends.

The next day there’s good coffee. They eat a really nice lunch. Kana jokes that she’s afraid he’s being way too nice. It starts to rain and his plan to ask her out at the building fails. He ends up presenting the flowers and a tub of ice cream in the car. “We were supposed to eat this under sunnier conditions but I guess your sunshiney smile will have to do.” He leans over to kiss her and she screams because they almost hit the side rail.

New pinned post: My boyfriend is so perf omfg he and me = OTP I don’t think I could ever find someone more charming and ing awesome. When he smiles…I JUST CAN’T, TOO MANY FEELS.

My Lovely Kana: you are so dead