Chapter One

Replaceable

Soojung and I have been best friends since high school. She was the beautiful, attractive and smart girl that everyone loves. Of all the people, I don’t know how I ended up being her best friend. I was complete opposite of her, unattractive, nerdy, and boyish. I was never girly much in my life. I had always friends with the guys at school being “bros” with all of them. All through high school I got used to this treatment even when all they guys I had a crush on liked my best friend Jung Soojung.

 

It first happened with Yoo Youngjae. I was always close with him. He was a sweet and caring guy. We lived close by to each other and often he would walk me home afterschool. I had started developing feelings for him a while ago. I was walking home with him one day, and during our conversation he asked, “Do you know if Soojung likes someone?” I was taken by surprise.

 

“Umm, I don’t think so. Why you asked?” I responded to him.

“Nothing. Its just…” he stuttered while scratching the back of his head. I could see the blush on his face and that’s when I knew it. “I kind of like her and I really need your advice.”

 

Deep inside I was crushed, but as a friend all I could do was to tell Youngjae that I was glad to help him in asking Soojung out. I didn’t know why I said that but I did. All I could remember that night was crying softly to myself. In the end, Soojung rejected him but was on friendly terms with him. That was sophomore year of high school.

 

It happened again and again during the course of our high school years and it got even worse during senior year. Guys all over school was asking Soojung to be their prom dates while I sat on the side watching each of them getting rejected. Even Youngjae had asked her thinking that he still had a chance. Yet again, she rejected him and went to prom with Im Jaebum, the guy who I was crushing on since the start of senior year. So it ended up being that my best friend ditched me for her prom date while I went to prom alone like a loser. By the end of high school, we were still best friends and she won the boy tally. It was zero for me and five for Soojung.

 

During all those times in high school, I really felt nothing towards Soojung when I knew that my crushes liked her. I was still her friend and we shared our moments and secrets but I stopped telling her who I had crushes on. During our first year of college, we didn’t see each other as often due to our difference in classes. I was studying law and she was studying literature. During my first year of college, I found an interest in ballet. I had done ballet as a little girl before and the dance club at the school was looking for new members I thought I might as well give it a try and pick up dancing again as a side hobby.

 

I joined the club during my second semester of college, and I met a lot new friends. Because Soojung wasn’t able to spend time with me, I started hanging out with my dance club friends. I spent quite a lot of time with Park Chorong, Oh Hayoung, Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun. Jongin, Sehun, and I had a lot of things in common so the three of us got along really well. It was during those times that I spent with them that I realized I had a growing interest in Jongin. I thought it was nothing, but the way he treated me made me felt more nervous and shy around him. I, Son Naeun, was definitely falling for Kim Jongin.

----