Split Love

Split Love [oneshot]

 

It’s just another manic Monday. Norene Lee wished it was Sunday so she can date her queen size bed more. But her crush Jung Daehyun always struts in their corridors, motivating her to go to school every day.

“Rinrin~” Choi Junhong, Norene’s best friend cutely called her. He looked where Norene’s eyes were fixed and witnesses Jung Daehyun passing by together with his heartthrob friends namely Bang Yongguk, Kim Himchan and Moon Jongup. He sighed, knowing his best friend is ogling the Won Bin of Pacific Institute of Learning.

When the “F4” disappeared from Norene’s sight, she turned her head to Junhong and asked, “Are you calling me, Junhong-ah?”

“I-I was just wondering if you already finished our project for World History…”

She scratched her chin, looked at the ceiling and tried to recall. “Hmm… when’s the deadline?”

“Tomorrow. You have no idea, don’t you? You’ve been Dae-dreaming too much,” he scolded her.

Her light giggle was her reply. “Aye, I’ll do it, boss. Good thing I have a friend like you, Choi Junhong.”

“I’m just a friend that’s why you kissed me?” Junhong with sarcasm.

She pinched his ear and defended, “Yah! You don’t bring up past stuff! And besides… I was drunk that time. Aish, you Choi Junhong! –knocks on Junhong’s head–”

“You little…  –pats Norene’s head–  you little love of mine.”

Her cheeks burned with bashfulness and her heart beat with happiness. Somewhere in her hypothalamus she has special feelings for her best friend. But she can’t tell if he likes her or he’s just playing games with her. That’s why she just goes with the flow.

“Love of mine your face, lying !”

 

“Yah, why are you not going home with me, Choi Junhong! You have a date, huh, don’t you?” Norene questioned her best friend, pinching his cheeks.

Junhong shoved her hands and leaned his face close to him. “You’re jealous?”

She turned her back, shouting, “IN YOUR DREAMS, IDIOT! WELL, I’M JUST GONNA GO HOME BY MYSELF!” That idiot. He’s always playing games with me. Ever since that kiss accident, he’s now transformed into the cheeky, idiot Junhong. That bitter liquid pulled my deepest feelings in my heart… my deepest feelings for him that should’ve kept hidden for eternity. Aish, why am I thinking about that? Stop thinking about your flirt friend, Norene Lee. Just–

A hand firmly gripped on her forearm and halted her. “Where do you think are you going?” he asked her.

For the very first time, Norene saw seriousness in Junhong’s eyes. He was more of a clown, hitting funny bones whenever possible. He takes things lightly. She can feel liquid swelling in her eyes as she continued to look in his eyes. She stared at the concrete road to stop her tears and hide her face.

“Let me go… I have to go home. I have to finish the project in World History.”

He backhugged her and softly whispered, “I’m sorry, Norene.”

“Yah  –removes Junhong’s arms around her–  I’m fine. No matter how stupid you are, I’ll always forgive you. You’re my best friend, remember?” she bitterly replied, facing him and faking a smile. “See you later, Junhong-ah.”

 

“NORENE YOU’RE HOME!” joyfully greeted Norene’s grandmother. She showered her with smooches and gifted her a warm hug.

She seemed to be overwhelmed by her grandmother’s warm welcome for she know she’s usually locked in her room, reading Super Junior and Big Bang fanfics or watching movies on Netflix.

“What’s the occasion, halmeoni? You got a boyfriend or something?” she asked as she changed her footwear. Her grandmother pulled her to the living room and she saw the answer.

“Hi Norene~” said Jung Daehyun, all smiles on her.

Her grandmother pulled her to sit beside him and elbowed her, “Go talk! He’s approved for me!” Then she left winking and raising her thumb to Daehyun. Daehyun curled his lips into a triumphant smile.

“Umm… w-what… umm… what are you doing here sunbae-nim?” she stuttered, looking at him nervously. “Wait, you know me, sunbae-nim?! I mean… we’re not even close, we don’t meet every day… H-How did you know I live here? Y-You’re not a stalker, ain’t you? Nah… That’s impossible…  –bites her lip–”

He burst into a laugh and answered, “Yeah, I’m sort of like that. I’ve been eyeing on you  –stares at Norene–.” He leaned closer and closer to Norene. Norene was left frozen and thunderstruck. The romantic ambience vanished as Norene’s mother announced, “Dinner time!”

After dinner, Norene’s mother declared, “The Lee family likes Jung Daehyun to be Norene’s boyfriend.” A round of applause followed the promulgation. Daehyun held Norene’s hand, making the applauses louder. Norene was left speechless and tickled pink. Norene’s grandmother pushed her to him outside of their house and gave Daehyun the I’m-rooting-for-you wink.

Later, outside the lee residence, Norene bombarded him with questions. “Why are you here? How did you know me? Are you on drugs? Do you really know me? Who told you where I live? You know my parents? What is your visit for? Is this a dream–”

A light buss on Norene’s forehead shut her completely. He cupped her face and straightforwardly admitted, “I like you Norene Lee. I really do. And I hope you like me, too.”

 

The next day, Norene’s classmates, including her, were stunned as Daehyun entered their room and gave Norene a bouquet of red roses.

“See you on recess,” Daehyun bade her before he left.

She subconsciously nodded, internally spazzing.

Junhong saw everything and cursed Daehyun in his head. That bastard, what the hell is he doing? I told him to stay away from her and now what. He’s a fricking backstabber!

“Hey Junhong hoobae, who’s this girl on your phone?” Daehyun asked him as he showed him his phone with Norene as the wallpaper.

Junhong smote Daehyun’s arm and scolded him, “Yah! Why did you take my phone? Now you peeked at my phone and I have to do it again! Aish!” He grabbed his phone from Daehyun’s hand and changed his wallpaper into another picture of Norene.

“Wait… you’re trying the wallpaper magic? Is that even true? Are you insane? Why won’t you just confess to her?”

“I can’t…”

“And why?”

“Because she’s my best friend. And she likes somebody else,” he answered, stealing glances from him.

Daehyun curled his arm around Junhong and told him, “You know, she’s cute. What’s her name?”

“Norene Lee.  –stares at Daehyun–  SUNBAE!  –removes Daehyun’s arm–  You don’t dare touch her, she’s mine!”

“Let us hope so.”

“Come with me,” Junhong commanded Norene, who’s still spazzing over Daehyun’s flowers. He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her out of the classroom. They stopped when they reached the botanical garden.

Norene freed her wrist and yelled at him, “WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?! ARE YOU INSANE?”

Junhong drew closer to Norene, making her lean on the wall on her back. He pounded his clenched fist on the wall with full force and looked her in the eye.

“J-Junhong… wha-what’s going on? Are you… are you alright?” She lowered her gaze, obscuring her fear.

He let out a fake laugh and answered, “How can I be alright when I like you and I’m jealous yet you’re glad as ? Tell me, Norene Lee, tell me!” He sighed heavily as tears appeared on his eyes. “I hope you’re happy now…” he bitterly bade and left.

“Jun… hong…”

 

For the first time in forever, Norene went home alone. Or she thought she was. She has no idea that Junhong followed her, making sure she reverted safely. He left a letter in their mailbox and a box of her favorite Hershey’s dark chocolate bars.

“Norene, come here! Someone gave you a letter and a box of chocolates!” her grandmother shouted from the living room. “I think it’s from your handsome suitor.”

There was no respond.

“What’s with her?  –takes the chocolate box–  I’m just gonna eat this myself.”

Norene locked herself in her room, waiting in vain for a text message from Junhong. She was deeply hurt and baffled after his heartbreaking confession. She wanted to clarify things between them.

Maybe I should do the first move, she thought. She took her phone, stared at her wallpaper, opened her Line account and texted Junhong immediately.


Junhong can we talk?
 

He’s not even reading it.

Can you call me? I need to tell you something important. Or should I just call you?

Aish, is his phone off?

Are you still mad at me?

 

I give up, he won’t even read my messages. Should I go to his place?

Norene has no idea that her best friend Choi Junhong is having a wrangle with his sunbae Jung Daehyun in their dorm house.

“Do you like her, sunbae?”

“Yeah, so?”

“Why her?”

“Because I like her.”

“Why do you like her?”

“Because–”

A knock on the door halted the noisy quarrel of the two boys. They raced to the door and Daehyun won. He opened the door and surprised each other.

“Oh, D-Daehyun sunbae-nim… you also live here?” a Norene clad in a fitted black shirt, beige trouser, black sneakers and a sheepish face asked.

Daehyun flashed his smile. “Who are you looking for?”

She peeked at the door and saw Junhong’s trademark chestnut brown hair. “I’m looking for a guy who’s 190cm tall, about 50 or 60kg heavy, with brown eyes and the type who doesn’t read text messages,” she described with loud sarcasm.

Junhong immediately checked his phone and facepalmed himself. He pushed Daehyun away from the door and took Norene’s hand. “I-I umm… I can explain… You see, I was in the middle of an argument with sunbae so I wasn’t–”

“We were arguing about you,” Daehyun butted in.

She pointed herself and asked “Me? What for?”

“Norene Lee,  –grabs Norene by the wrist–  me or Junhong?”

Junhong loosened Daehyun’s grip and scolded him, “Yah, you don’t touch my Norene like that!”

“Your Norene?  –pulls Norene to him–  I visited her home and her family said I’m the one for her.”

“WHAT?!?  –pulls Norene to him– You don’t even know her favorite color, her favorite food or he favorite drink!”

The two continued on pulling Norene, making her dizzy.

“STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE!” she commanded, freeing her reddened wrists. “What do you think is this, some sort of tug-of-war? I’m sorry to inform you but I’m not a fiber rope that you have to pull with all your might just to win. I am a fragile 17-year-old high school student who has a crush on you  –looks at Daehyun–  and loves you  –looks at Junhong–  and has to finish a project in World History.

“I don’t know if you’re feeding my deprived ego or whatever, but please stop your nonsense quarrel over me. You’re making me feel the most beautiful woman in the world. Please, stop.

“I bet you two you are gonna woo me and soft-soap me just to get me. You might say I’ll choose you  –looks at Daehyun–  because you’re my crush. Sorry but no. You’re a bad sunbae who liked your hoobae’s love. That’s plain stupid, and you thought I wouldn’t know, huh? Sorry to burst your bubble Junhong  –looks at Junhong–  but I’m not gonna choose you either. You’re a fool who showed your love after she kissed you. Worse, you didn’t go straight to the point and toyed with my feelings.

“Both of you  –points at Daehyun and Junhong–  are imbeciles!”

The two boys stared at each other, examining each other from head to toe. Norene gave them a slap on the head.

“IDIOTS!   –puts her hands on her waist–  If you want me to be yours, help me with my project. Whoever helps me with my project will win,” she challenged them.

Daehyun and Junhong scrambled to follow her.

Norene is mine!