The Birthday Miracle

YOLO

A nurse gave me a guitar and I its strings gently, recalling the days where I'd spend all the just playing instruments in the mansion.

"What song are you going to sing?" Minwoo asked as the patients started to gather in front of me.

I laughed at the sudden gathering and I cleared my throat as I placed the guitar beside me.

"I'm going to sing this song... for someone who I want to see the most. Its called 'You reflected in a smile'," I said, recalling that bright smile he showed when he yelled thank you.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

She was right in front of me. Just... 3 metres away, give and take. She was sitting on stage, wearing a white hospital gown and holding a guitar. She looked so pale and thin yet, her smile still stayed the same. Then she announced what song she was going to sing... and I saw her smile change slightly and I knew she was thinking of me.

 

(Ailee (cover) - You reflected in a smile with eng subs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP3O4q0DnU8 )

 

You may not be as beautiful as a rose... but your scent is stronger...

You may not be brighter than the moon... but you're warmer...

Looking at your picture on the table... I sadly call out to you...

But you just stare back at me wordlessly with a smile as always...

The love that I know is... my heart for you and your smile...

The parting that I know is filled with sorrow... but its sadder than I had thought...

 

I don't want to cry... I want to laugh once again...

While looking at you reflected in a smile...

Whenever I want to cry again... I think of you...

I'm immersed in our past memories... my love...

 

The love that I know is... my heart for you and your smile...

The parting that I know is filled with sorrow... but its sadder than I had thought...

 

I don't want to cry... I want to laugh once again...

While looking at you reflected in a smile...

Whenever I want to cry again... I think of you...

I'm immersed in our past memories... my love...

 

My love...

 

Whenever I want to cry again... I think of you...

I'm immersed in our past memories... my love...

 

"Dashi ulgo sipojimyeon... naneun... geudaereul saenggakhamyeo... (I don't want to cry again... I... want to laugh again...)" I sang, my voice staring to crack a litle as tears fell down my cheeks, staining my white clothes.

The memories I had with Yugyeom just passed by through my mind and I missed him... terribly.

"Jigeum chueogo ppajyeo ine... geudae... yo... (I'm immersed in our past memories... My... Love...)" I sang, my voice sounding more like a whisper.

I covered my face with my hands as I started crying, harder and harder as more tears were shed. Then a pair of hands held mine... and... they felt so familiar.

 

"Pabo..."

 

I looked up and saw Yugyeom, trails of tears from his eyes down to his jaw. He started crying more as I stared into his eyes.

"I hated you for leaving..." he stuttered as his lips trembled.

I bit my bottom lip, afraid that this was just a dream. I held out my hand and placed my palm on his cheek. Right then, I knew he was real.

 

"I hated me too..." I said as more tears fell.

Within a heartbeat, he wrapped his arms around me and cried into my shoulder and I cried into his, gripping onto his shirt, scared of letting him go.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

I brought Sowon to meet the boys who seemed just as shocked when I saw her again. Everyone shed tears as they hugged her individually, swaying her left to right, trying to get back all the time they could have had with her. Then she wanted to let us see a garden but a nurse came to have her sit on a wheelchair.

"Can't I just walk? I promise I'll be slow," she whined.

"Miss Kang..." the nurse said in a warning tone and Sowon seemed stubborn.

"Its okay, I'll carry her. I won't let her walk an inch," I said as I held Sowon from behind me, piggyback style like before whenever she fainted and I had to  run all the way to the hospital with her on my back.

We all walked in a group and started catching up.

"So, JB, Youngjae and JR are in the same college and are studying Musical productions... Jackson is now the owner of the ddukbokki shop... Bambam is now in charge of the cafe we used to work at... Yugyeom is working as a dance instructor and Mark oppa is now a doctor under my father's supervision?" I said and everyone nodded.

I smiled happily.

"I'm glad everything's fine then," I chirped.

"Not really..." I heard Yugyeom mutter under his breath... and I knew I had to have a talk with him.

 

LATER ON...

Yugyeom's POV

The boys left but promised to visit Sowon the next day. I stayed behind with the nurses' permission.

I sat beside her on a chair as she laid on her bed. There was silence for a little while... and I felt like I was wasting time.

"How have you been?" I asked.

Well she was obviously sick and she was obviously not doing fine. I just didn't know what else to say.

"I've had both bad days and good days. You?" she replied.

"... Bad days..." I answered.

She bit her bottom lip and sighed.

 

"Yugyeom, one day I'm not going to be here anymore..." I said.

I heard him sniffle. He folded his arms together and looked at me.

"You don't have to say that, I already know," he said.

"You say that... but you're already weak. I need to know that you'll be okay," I said seriously.

"Well, I won't! I won't be. How the hell can I be okay?" he fought back.

"If you were going to be like this then why come find me?! If you were going to be weak then why let me see it before I die?!" I yelled in a husky voice.

The both of us stayed silent for a few seconds, trying not to argue some more with the little time we had left with each other.

"If I knew I could watch over you for sure, then I wouldn't have to worry... but I don't know how it'll be like when I die... and maybe I won't be able to even see how you're doing. So before I die, I need to know," I explained.

Yugyeom looked into my eyes with tears in his eyes.

"I don't know... I'd not be okay at first... but maybe, just maybe, I'll be okay after some time," he replied.

"... Can you tell me what you're going to do in the future?" I asked a tear escaped my left eye.

He nodded and leaned forward to hold my hand.

"I'm... going to work for a while more... then I'll do part time studying at the same college as JB, JR and Youngjae..." he said.

As the night darkened, Yugyeom continued on telling me his plans... and for once after a long time, my heart was at ease.