The Little Mermaid

YOLO

I was in class again. Omma and Appa had let me go to school, sadly, this time with more strict supervision. Security guards sent me to school and after school, they'd walk me with me to the cafe and they were going to wait outside until I finished work. It was irritating butb it was better than living the life I had before. I was talking to Youngjae as per normal... sometimes laughing at Jackson's jokes. However, something felt different. I turned to the back and realised that Yugyeom was looking at me. It didn't feel creepy nor did it feel weird at all. It felt right and I found myself looking back at him. All of a sudden it became a staring contest and slowly, the both of us started to smile and laugh.

"What are you doing?"

I snapped back to reality and realised that Youngjae was looking at me as though I had gone bonkers... and maybe I was. I pressed my lips together, trying to stop smiling and I shook my head at Youngjae.

"Weird~ You're happier than usual... No idea how that could even be possible considering that you're being watched by security 24/7," Youngjae said.

"Are your parents really that strict?" he asked.

"They just don't want me to do something that ends me back in the hospital again," I explained.

"Well, my mother worries about me too but she doesn't check up on me all the time. JUST SAYING, I think your parents should loosen up a little. I would understand it if you were constantly in trouble but you're pretty much a perfect daughter. Why can't they trust you?" Youngjae said.

Under normal circumstances, I would've agreed with him. However, this wasn't a normal circumstance. They were doing this because they loved me and they didn't want me to get hurt. So I shouldn't complain... right?

LATER ON...

I saw Jiwon and his gang just outside of the school gates. I was walking with Youngjae, Jackson and Yugyeom when we saw them.

"You guys... stay close to me," I said as we walked out of the school gates.

The moment we did, Jiwon and his gang approached us slowly but stopped when the security guards came and surrounded us.

"Wow~" Jackson said.

With that, the 4 of us headed towards the cafe to work on our group project that time since Jackson wasn't working that day while I was.

"Sacrificial love... So, anything?" Youngjae asked.

Jackson shook his head while Yugyeom and I looked at one another to see who would say something first.

"I have something to contribute," Yugyeom said as he broke eye contact with me.

We were all surprised but we didn't stop him.

"For the Little Mermaid, she didn't kill the Prince eventhough she knew she would die if she didn't," Yugyeom said.

"Okay... Why do you think she did it and what are your views?" Youngjae asked, prepared to type it all down in his laptop.

"She did it because she loved the Prince eventhough he didn't love her back... and so, she couldn't kill him. She sacrificed herself for someone who didn't love her back... I find that dumb," he said.

"Why?" I asked, without thinking.

Then he looked into my eyes, his eyes that still held mystery and sadness in them.

"She wasn't willing to obey her father and stay underwater, her father that loved her. However, she was willing to sacrifice herself for a man that was going to marry someone else. She was being selfish. Why did she do that?" He asked.

"Because... sometimes... we can't control how we feel. The Little Mermaid wasn't supposed to fall in love with a human but she did anyway. She could've chosen to stay underwater but no matter what, her heart still belonged to the Prince. She was attracted to the Prince. Her love for him led to her death... but if she was willing to die for him, it didn't matter to her whether the Prince loved her back, what mattered the most was that she got to know him... and fall in love with him and that was enough for her. That was enough for her to sacrifice herself for him," I explained.

After looking at Yugyeom for a few more seconds, I realised that Jackson and Youngjae were staring at me.

"Was I being weird again?" I asked.

"No... You're just really smart, Sowon," Youngjae said with a smile.

"Wah~ Nice explanation, Sowon! Youngjae ah, you got every single word down right?" Jackson asked.

As the two of them talked, I turned my head to see that Yugyeom was still looking at me.

"So it didn't matter if the Prince loved her back... she still loved him anyway because she couldn't ever love anyone else just the same or more?" He asked and I nodded.

"How about you? Would you do something like the Little Mermaid?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"I can't love anyone as much as the Little Mermaid loved the Prince," I replied.

"Why?" Yugyeom asked, not breaking eye contact once.

"Because I'm not supposed to..." I said.

"You said that sometimes we can't control how we feel. Even if you weren't supposed to, you could," he said.

Then I felt it again. My heart started beating fast... however not literally, it felt like it but it wasn't since I wasn't in pain. Then that was it... I did something I wasn't supposed to do... fall in love.