part i, chapter vii

fix you.

2329751e5xfi1eqcv.png

Two years later

Yoochun sat quietly in the doctor’s office, eyes wandering off to the bright lights installed on the ceiling to the stethoscope and even to the diagrams and posters that showed the symptoms of bipolar disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Click. Clack. The lamp made a sound as he switched the light switch back and forth as the lights flickered on and off as he messed with the lights out of boredom.

 It suddenly reminded him of the game he used to play with his parents and Yoona when they were a lot younger; the two of them had to be by their beds fast asleep by ten o’clock – or their parents would trigger the lights to turn back on and off until they were in bed.

“It looks like the results of your brain scanning have shown better progress this time, Mr. Park.” He was startled when the doctor opened a thick, large brown envelope and had taken out a dark, translucent photograph of the results of the scan made of Yoochun’s neurotic system.

The photo was put under the light to see the results from a reversed perspective, and it was clear that from the condition of his neurons that his state of depression may be improving slightly over time.

“But doctor, didn’t you say that it would take time for me to be completely cured from depression?” Yoochun asked curiously, still fidgeting and tackling the pillows found on the small, red leathered couch that was used by patients to sit and be examined.

“It would – But you’re getting there, Yoochun. You’re getting there; I promise. “Dr. Yoon sighed as he patted his patient’s shoulder comfortingly, making sure he felt calm and relieved over the changing process.

Yoochun smiled. He’s glad that he’s seen the bright light from the dark, hollowing tunnel he had gone through in his life.

Both his mother and father had sent messages to him that everything was alright, and that they’d be there to guide him and his sister as they went through with life. Even without them around him physically, he knew that they would speak to him through his dreams and that they’d be watching over them from above.

Though he was continuing to recover from his traumatic experience, fear was still a constant feeling that was never off his chest. It kept him awake at night to think that he could lose his sister if she would be taken away from him and be adopted by another family without him.

He was insecure, he admitted to himself – Who even wanted to adopt him? He was fifteen and nearly turning sixteen by the summer, and was probably too problematic and a burden to even give a second thought of being taken under anyone’s household.

It bewildered him however on this odd feeling that formed in his chest every time he saw Sooyeon or even when she was within his radius, his cheeks would warm up and a smile would form on his face. First loves never really had good endings, especially in a situation like his.

One thing he didn’t expect was that this seemingly dreamlike reverie would turn into an ultimate nightmare – day by day.

….

            The air had become crisp and cold, with snow starting to fall on the ground and surroundings becoming plain white and covered by a white sheet of ice.

 The red and orange leaves of fall have now disappeared and buried under the several feet of snow, as children now come out in winter coats and scarves to play in snow fights and build snowmen.

Through the dropping temperature and dark surroundings caused by the weather, Yoochun carefully parked the rust ridden bike by the sidewalk and hopped off to walk over to the gates.

            “Hello? Excuse me – Is someone there?” His voice echoed into the air, hearing nothing but vibrations of his voice being swallowed into the void of the atmosphere.

He formed his hands into a fist and pounded them on the towering piece of frosted metal to knock loudly so that he may be heard at least from the inside.

Yoochun stands there for a minute, deep in thought and in silence, his patience starting to thin and loosing hope that Sooyeon would even end up going to the theatre with him.

            “You’re finally here – Mr. Park Yoochun. It seems as if our whole family has wanted to see you today. Come in.” Little Soojung swings open the door in his face, crossing her arms disapprovingly and arching her eyebrows in suspicion.

Scorching pain was bubbling on Yoochun’s face, a small cut right across his cheekbones had started to flow blood as he held it back with his fingers.

            “Ouch – that hurts! You could have at least acknowledged I was older than you rather than as some adult you just met.” He whined, still standing straight even if he held back the small scratch that had formed on his cheeks.

Yoochun walked past the gates, letting himself in through the Jung Manor, and was lost for words as he entered. The mansion had been of three stories, and painted in light beige paint, it seemed as if the house had been floating in air and that it glowed with such brightness as blinding light came from inside.

He passed by the wooden door, awkwardly standing and taking off his gray scarf and charcoal coat as he entered the heavily warmed up house.

            “Yoochun-ah, I’m glad you’re here – Mom and dad have been waiting for so long to meet you.” Yunho walks down the stairs and runs to his close friend once he sees him standing there.

Surprised of being grabbed by the arm as he was being pulled up the several steps of stairs, Yoochun jokingly replies to him. “They want to meet me?”

            “Of course, they do! Especially after all of Sooyeon’s stories and comments on ‘ -Oh I did this with Yoochun-’ ‘ -I met this Yoochun guy-’ ‘ Yoochun is-‘ She would never stop if she would have not been  stopped by father.” Yunho snorted deliberately as they reached the top of the stairs.

Yoochun assumed that the door at the end of the hall was their parents, being the least decorated door out of all the children’s bedroom doors that were very colourfully painted.

He turned to the left and a room that was separated by a dark blue door that had been fully left open was painfully obvious as it was Yunho’s bedroom; Posters of pretty girl groups like S.E.S had covered the entirety of his bedroom walls, all poked with holes and darts.

Right across it was a polka dotted pink and white door that had a little square window on the top, a room he considered was the little Soojung’s room – all bedazzled and glittered just like any nine year old’s room would be.

Just as he thought he reached the end of the hall towards Mr. and Mrs. Jung’s bedroom, Sooyeon’s room had been right beside Yunho’s room, and Sooyeon happens to open her door and walk right by Yoochun.

            “You’re here.” Her voice laced a slight femininity and delicacy that he had never heard before, as he felt a heartstrings being pulled as she seems so excited, though a lot toned down, to see him. She wore a white lace top, and a knee-high silk pink skirt that moved around gracefully as she walked, like she was a fairy that floated in air.

            “I’m sorry to have kept you waiting, Sooyeon-ah. I’ll introduce myself to your parents first, and then we’ll go.” Yoochun laughed nervously as he gently patted the bangs on her forehead, as she looked up and simply pouted at him.

Yunho knocks on the door to see if their parents were busy or that they were simply away, but no response was heard from them after a few minutes.

            “That’s odd – I thought mom and dad were home?” He scratches his head in confusion. Yunho looks back at Sooyeon and Yoochun, who were too stunned in silence to even say a word.

Hesitation and worry fills Yunho’s insides in the moment, cold sweat forming on his forehead as he lightly lays his ear on the surface of the door. Startled with the echoing of screaming and shouting from the inside, his eyes go wide in shock, in surprise – but in mostly fear.

            “What’s the problem, Yunho oppa?” Sooyeon approaches him with light footsteps, speaking in barely heard whispers as he kept his attention fully on the conversation that was happening behind the doors.

            “And what are you doing with moving all these money from one account to another?”

            “I have to prepare some back-up accounts for the children – Heongsik, are you even thinking of their future?”

            “Yes I do – But why are you transacting a million every time? You have to explain to me what is going on, Yura – “

The argument and bickering went on for what seemed like hours. The three of them patiently listened and waited for them to even open the door and recognize that they were even there.

            “You vowed on our wedding day that you were to be dedicated to me-“

            “That didn’t mean I would lock away my life for you – You do remember that this marriage was arranged by our families-“ The hard hit of a slap was clearly heard, causing Sooyeon to flinch as her eyes went wide as she looked in between the small cracks of the door.

Soojung walked over curiously after she had seen her siblings and Yoochun listen so attentively and quietly, tipping her toes to reach up to twist the doorknob to eat least get a peak of what was truly going on.

            “Soojung – Don’t –“ Yunho gasped and lightly scolded his little sister in inaudible whispers, yet he was probably too late. She walked away and shrugged her shoulders as she went straight to bed in her room.

Glass shattered and a splatter of blood drenched the wooden door as their breath drew in sharply, all staring in horror and face going pale as their mother was lying unconsciously on the ground.

            “You know what – It’s probably time for the two of you to get going. I wouldn’t want the both of you to miss the show tonight.” Yunho turned around, breathing in heavily as he was pretending that everything was alright.

He pulled the doorknob and closed the door, hoping that neither of his parents caught sight of him.

Angry tears formed on Sooyeon’s eyes, her vision blurring with the sudden urge to hit him repeatedly on his chest was unavoidable.

“How could you just let us be sent off when our mother is close to death due to father’s doings?!” felt sore and raw, speaking with such pain that every word she spoke had needed to be forced out.

Guilt was all Yoochun had felt as he stood there, having not emitted a word ever since he had entered the house, and felt useless that he wouldn’t be able to help in the siblings’ situation.

            “We could just end up not going today - But should we call the police- ?“  He insisted, trying to ease out the situation. Yoochun knew, nothing would be able to make it better and calling the police probably wouldn’t help either.

The siblings looked at him as they were piercingly silenced by dread and uneasiness; the two looking even more similar to one another as they were suddenly so afraid of their father.

            “Father would kill us if he were to find out that we had reported him beating mother up.” She whispered, a cold chill trailing down his spine.

            “Has this happened before?” He asked, his curiosity unable to be ignored as his concern grew.

Sooyeon looked at Yunho with such desperation and vulnerability that her knees felt like they were about to tremble, as he glanced back at her wistfully.

            “It happened one last time when we were little and mother was last pregnant with Soojung. Mother nearly lost her as she fell down the stairs, but she was fortunately saved.” Yunho said, turning his direction towards the stairs as the three of them made their way downstairs.

            “We have to tell the police, Yunho oppa. This isn’t the first time it had happened – How could you stand here and sleep in peace when our own mother is close to death due to our father beating her up?!” Impatience and anger was clear in Sooyeon’s tone, as she crossed her arms and glared at her older brother.

Yunho hesitated and looked back. He never expected this situation of his to be left in his own hands, and that things may get this severe now that domestic violence had started to return once again at home.

            “Sooyeon-ah, Yoochun-ah – Don’t worry, I’ll report this to the police; As long as you promise me one thing.” He said, eyes seeming lifeless as he sternly made his decision.

            “What is it?” Sooyeon replied, barely in whispers.

            “I want the two of you to stay as far away as possible for the next few hours until after the show. Go eat out or whatever- Just make sure to come home right after the show, unless you would want to meet father’s wrath again.” He said.

Sooyeon nodded, quickly grabbing Yoochun’s hand with her own and running out through the door as they made their way to the bus stop.

….

Yoochun and Sooyeon decided to grab a few snacks at a local convenience store before they took another two bus rides to the theatre where they were to watch the musical.

            “I’m sorry we were only able to watch West Side Story today. It’s been two years.” He interrupted the silence, taking another sip of his fizzed pop. His breath went cold as the fog in the air formed as he spoke, the cold temperature from outside still haunting him inside. 

She laughed as she bit on another piece of the random cheesed junk food they chose from the limited selection the shop had.

            “You’re lucky that ticket could be used for an unlimited time of admission, or we wouldn’t be able to watch the musical forever and the ticket would have gone to waste.” She said.

Noticing his hands shivering and shaking in the midst of the cold, Sooyeon pulls off a pair of gloves from her own hands and puts them on his own. “Keep those on – No insisting not to wear them.” She spoke as he attempted to give them back to her, yet to no avail.

It had been two years since he had last asked her if she would like to accompany him for a viewing of West Side Story, and it had taken him exactly two years as well to be able to watch it.

As years went by, Yoochun and Sooyeon had never had time to even spend time with one another after school had started to make the most of their time. Now that Yoochun was fifteen and Sooyeon had just turned fourteen, the two had finally been actually old enough to go out by themselves.

            “Come on, Sooyeon-ah! We should get going or the show will start before we’re able to even get there.” He stood by the doorway, patiently waiting for her to walk next to him to make it in time for the next bus stop.

She pouted, standing up from the seat and running quickly just in time to make it past the door. Sooyeon looked back to make sure that she had everything with her and didn’t forget anything else.

To his surprise, she circled her arm around his as they made their way to the theatre. She was using “It’s so cold today” as an excuse, but he probably knew better than to believe that.

            “Let’s go.” She smiled, happiness and excitement radiating around her. Yoochun couldn’t help but grin widely in reply as they made their way to the theatre.

Little did they know this happiness would be cut short from them within the next twenty four hours and tragedy would remain a constant reminder in their lives that – death would conquer us all in the end.

….

P.S: I finally updated! I hope you guys enjoy it, and anticipate the drama coming. (Oh, yes - Drama will totally happen; I've planned it all out don't worry, and prepare your tissues.) Please continue to comment and subscribe! ^^ <3