part i, chapter v.

fix you.

2329751e5xfi1eqcv.png

The pouring rain hovered over them like a monster in a lake, with gray clouds floating heavily in the sky as raindrops violently dropped on the shining pavement. On the corner, little Yoona sat by the orphanage’s wooden bench by the local part, patiently waiting as she swung her legs playfully and hummed a joyful tune even as she got soaking wet in the rain.

Quick and agile footsteps clattered against the ground and got closer and closer, as Yoona looked up in hopes that it would be her brother who would be there. Instead, it was Changmin.

            Her eyes glittered with delight that someone had come for her after of what seemed like hours of waiting, but instead looked away and tightened her grip on the bench after she realized it was one of her older brother’s friends who seemed like a total stranger to her.

            Round, sheep like eyes stared curiously at her, his rectangle rimmed glasses arched on the bridge of his nose filtering her view from his eyes and his lips quavering on what to say. He sat carefully on the edge of the bench, not too suddenly to scare his friend’s younger sister.

“Hi I’m Shim Changmin and I’m one of your older brother’s friends. I’m also Mrs.Hwang’s nephew, so I live just next door.  I believe you are Park Yoona, Yoochun’s younger sister?” Changmin speaks up in a friendly and open manner, with a feeling of shame and embarrassment inside of him as he feels like he had messed up as she had not replied immediately.

            It takes her a few seconds before a cheeky grin and a toothy smile, her two middle teeth beginning to grow out. “You got that right. Now, do you mind to know where my brother is?” She nodded and questioned demandingly, raising her voice against the roaring thunder that erupted like a metal gong.

            He shook his head and stood up from the bench. He was about to leave without speaking a word or a gesture that he was leaving, yet turned around as he had realized he was about to leave little Yoona alone and Yoochun wouldn’t like that.

Changmin approached her and brought out an umbrella in his bag that he had nearly forgotten was in there, the dark shadow wavering over them as Yoona looked at him in confusion.

            “What are you doing?”

            “I’ll have to bring you back inside to the orphanage.”

            “And why are you doing that?”

            “Because your brother will most likely not be happy seeing you wait for him out in the rain like this.”

            “I do this every time and he comes back at exactly 2:43 pm.” She crosses her arms, still not pleased that he was interfering with a routine that hasn’t been broken since he had gone to school.

He scratched the back of his head in frustration and fretfulness, feeling too tired to even argue after a long day of hard work in school. “She’s just as stubborn as he is- Great.” He snickered to himself.

            “You’ve waited all the time after he’d bus from school when it had been sunny nearly every day since school had started, but things change and it starts to rain, it’s not surprising that the transit system has its delays with weather like this. Come on – Just come in.” He ranted impatiently, voicing out a quick and rushed response before walking over by the orphanage door, waiting for her to come over by the shade.

            “I believe it’s not going to work on me.”

            “Well I’m not just waiting here for nothing. Do this for your brother - I’m just doing him a favour.”

Yoona scooted over by the other side of the bench, clumsily sliding over and looking away as she ignored him on purpose.

            A second bang of thunder was heard nearly just a millisecond after a flash of lightning flew in the sky, goose bumps forming on her arms and the hair on her legs rising in doubt and unease, as she rubbed her hands against her mint colored sweater to feel warmer.

            “I’m going to wait for the whole time if you want until you come in.”

The weight of the rain drenching upon the seams of her clothing and the pores of her skin was becoming heavier every minute that has passed from the moment she sat on the bench and as her persistence dies out and her patience shortens, she accepts his plea to enter and lazily scooted over beside him, looking tiny next to his 14 year old self who was more than a head taller than her, being tall for people his age.

            “I’ll go inside for one condition.”

            “And what is that?”

She tiptoed and arched up her neck to be able to even reach the corner of Changmin’s ear, carefully whispering into his ear a somewhat secret message that she only wanted to tell him, as he slowly leaned down to be closer to her height and the two giggled after she had finished whispering and he nodded earnestly to show that he would only keep the secret between themselves.

            The two’s quiet conversation was interrupted by the roaring thunder that clashed in the background and the playful giggles and teasing that was heard from less than a hundred meters away – it was Yoochun and Sooyeon who were currently running back to the orphanage and were drenching wet as if they had been playing in the rain for hours.

….

            Abrupt sneezes filled the dark tinted room and droplets of water dripped endlessly towards the old carpets as they all sat down on the wooden chairs draped in layers of blankets and towels as they eagerly sat in silence as they sipped through their warm noodle soup.

Yoochun looks up discreetly to glance across at Sooyeon, who was looking down and embarrassingly kept her head down as she took another sip of her soup, the vibration of her slurping clearly heard from his end.

            “Children, I just hope next time that all of you would not play in the rain again. I would not like all of you to get sick all at once.” Mrs.Hwang sighed tiredly, wiping off the cold sweat that had spread out on her forehead. She stood up and grabbed a small hand towel for each of the cold, drenching wet children that sat by the dining table.

Changmin scratched his head irritably, shaking out the heaps of water that had soaked his hair completely and rubbed it against a soft cotton towel. “I am so sorry, Mrs.Hwang. I just had to wait a bit to bring Yoona in to the orphanage as the rain started to pour harder and by that time Yoochun and Sooyeon had just arrived from school.” He uttered seriously, trying to make his point and seeming like he was telling the truth.

Sooyeon panics for a moment and opens as she was about to speak up, but closed and looked away as she immediately changed her mind to say nothing at all. Yoochun on the other hand, looked around like a lost deer with a pair of headlights, as he shook his shoulders in confusion.

“It would be better that all of you would have stayed inside as soon as it started to rain, alright?” Mrs. Hwang turned around and patiently waited for them to reply, as they responded with a straightforward nod. “Now all of you should take a shower. My goodness, we should let Sooyeon and Changmin get washed here and lend them some extra clothes – “

“Mrs. Hwang, It is alright I could just get washed up as I get home. Thank you so much for accommodating me even if I am in this condition.” Sooyeon abruptly stood up and set aside her eating utensils as she respectfully thanked the orphanage caretaker.

Yoochun turned around in her direction and felt horrible that he got her into trouble by keeping their ongoing conversation for too long even as the rain started to pour above them and bolted up from his seat unexpectedly. “I could just walk her back home, Mrs. Hwang. It is only a block away from here.” He volunteered casually and spoke up in a concerned tone.

            Mrs. Hwang paused for a few seconds to cautiously think about it and nodded approvingly at the idea that he suggested. “Alright, Sooyeon-ah, If you would really like to get home as soon as possible, is it fine if we have Yoochun walk you back home?” She gently replied at both of them.

Sooyeon had already been by the doorway wiping her wet shoes against the rubber mat and squeezing the water out of her hair by the time Mrs. Hwang had offered her to be walked home. “I could just walk by myself, Mrs. Hwang. It’s only a few blocks away from here.” She insisted persistently, smiling politely at the middle aged woman.

“I know it is only a few steps away from here, but the weather has made it dark and therefore dangerous for a teenage girl like you to walk out in the rain at such a late time like this. I hope you’d let Yoochun walk you home today. ” The orphanage caretaker frowned in outmost concern and crossed her arms seriously as she looked out from their translucent window, dark gray clouds still floating above them and the weight of it clearly seen as the rain had started to pour again.

Yoochun walked over next to her, two thick water resistant jackets in his hands as he handed a khaki colored coat to her and place them over her shoulders as she smiled at him in response. “I’ll be back before sunset, Mrs. Hwang!” He waved as he swung open the door and let Sooyeon out first and then he quickly followed.

….

            The dark, gray clouds that were heavily hovering over them had started to drift away as the rays of sunlight start to peak out and the cold, simmering mist in the air had faded out as it became warmer and the atmosphere had become lighter.

“I told you that you should have brought an umbrella from the morning!” Sooyeon scolded him playfully, laughing hysterically as he sneezed lightly.

“And why would I do that when the weather would become like this?” He teased in reply, zipping up his front zipper higher up to his neck. Yoochun quickened his pace to keep up with how Sooyeon gallantly skipped her way to her house.

She turned around to face him and paused right in front of an abandoned bus stop, stepping right into the rusting metal circle that marked the trademark in the area. Sooyeon stood there in silence and observed him carefully as he started at her with a confused expression.

            “There are many times in our lives that we will have to choose to do what is right and what is against our own principles for our own good, even if it conflicts with our own beliefs. Now, close your eyes.” She spoke to him seriously as the wind blew forcefully against her, the wisps of her fair flying in front of her face.

Yoochun reluctantly closed his eyes, unaware of all his surroundings until he heard the distant sounds of footsteps running away from him. After nearly a minute of staying in his spot and closing his eyes shut, he opened his eyes to see a distorted view of his sight, though Sooyeon was nowhere to be found.

“Sooyeon-ah? Sooyeon?”

Soggy leaves bristled against his feet and the ghostly whispers of the air had rung in his ears repeatedly. “Where could she be?” He thought.

            “I’m not in for your silly games, Sooyeon!” His voices echoed through the hollow pathway, as if he was the only living thing around in the area.

A sense of panic formed in his stomach and fear had filled his mind as he thought he had lost Sooyeon this time. He looked around hopelessly, tears forming in his eyes and his fist locking in tight as he was determined to find her. He turned left, right, went forward and went backward- she was nowhere to be seen.

“Come on, Sooyeon – I have to bring you back home in time before I get you in trouble!”

            It irritated him how it seemed as if this pathway going back to the mansion seemed to have no one living near it what so ever, as if this place was only filled with forests, monsters and ghouls that haunt those who have laid them to rest unexpectedly.

He took a step forward hastily and took a deep breath while he crossed his fingers tightly as he desperately looked for her in between the bushes or behind the abandoned buildings. Just as he was about to give up and call for help to find her, she jumped out of a rusty metal door that had been loosely attached garage that seemed like it hasn’t been opened for years.

Her amused giggles rung loudly in his ears as she burst out laughing and as a result, she fell right flat on top of him and Yoochun felt her weight upon him. Sooyeon’s cheeks turned red as his body warmth crept to her and she could see his features right at such a close proximity.

She could hear how quick his heart beats due to the very personal intimacy they were currently at and could not even notice how smitten she was currently in the moment. He admitted to himself that she was short of breath, breathing vigorously through in embarrassment and uneasiness.

Yoochun’s lips nearly touched her own, only missing by a few centimeters as she lay on top of him for what seemed like an eternity to them. He cleared his throat, awkwardly looking away, before she clumsily got off him and wiped the dirt off her skirt and her maroon colored sweater.

They continued walking until the front of Sooyeon’s house, with the charcoal colored gate wavering over them and creating a cooler shade that blocked the sunlight from their sight completely. He shoved his hands into his pockets and stood there quietly before gaining the courage to speak up.

            “Get dried when you get inside before you get sick, alright? Say hi to your brother for me as well.” Yoochun said dryly, jokingly trying to ease off the awkwardness between the two of them.

Sooyeon pointed her tongue out at him playfully as she rang the doorbell and hoisted her heavy, weighing backpack off her spine and patiently waited for someone to open the gate. “Look who’s talking? Not like you didn’t get wet in the rain either.” She sarcastically uttered in reply, just as they had both started to hear sounds of vibrating footsteps running towards the gate.

The black gate swung open, its hinges squeaking noises as if it hasn’t been oiled in years, and Jung Yunho in flesh and bone appeared, a cherry flavored lollipop stuck in his mouth as his curious eyes looked at both of them with a confused expression, until a familiar figure appeared in the corner of his eyes.

            “I’ve been looking forever for you, you little sheep! Thanks Yoochun-ah for bringing my sister home, especially with the weather being like this. I’ll see you tomorrow!” Yunho sighs in relief and shoos his sister inside through the gate impatiently, sending an indirect glare as she ignored him casually.

            “Anytime, Yunho-hyung. I’ve become great friends with her as well and it’s been wonderful to get to know both of you. See you tomorrow as well!” Yoochun replies as he starts to walk away and his image starts to blur out from Yunho’s perspective.

As soon as Yoochun sees that the metal gate is closed shut and that none of the two of them see him in their sight, he jumps in joy and twirls around from the exploding feeling in his heart. “Is this what love feels?” He asked himself with a grin as he made his way back to the orphanage.

….

His fingers rambled through his backpack with such trepidation, cursing under his breath out of fear that he had lost the most valuable items he had won for the day.

He checked through all his pockets in between the corners of his dress pants and shoved his hand down every zipper able to be zipped open from his bag and felt such disappointment that he would have won them for nothing.

The tickets. “Where are they?!” Yoochun complained out loud as he furiously grabbed his backpack and flipped it upside down for all the contents to fall out and for him to find the tickets.

Just as he loses hope that the tickets may still be in his grasp, two soaking wet and crumpled orange colored pieces of paper plop onto the ground and as soon as it catches his sight, he runs over to them and clutches them with his own hands.

Yoochun sets them aside to dry and looks at them carefully, the excitement not being able to be contained as he couldn’t wait to get to school and ask her out for the first time in his life.

....