You Get Invited to a Party

Adventures with You, My Lady
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Who has never been to a party?”  You. You have never been to a party.

 

It is a Tuesday afternoon, and you, ,  are in your most hated class, Teen Living.  Supposedly , according to the course description when you signed up for the class, it is supposed to be a course that taught teens vital things they need to know in order to be prepared for the adult world when they graduate.  Such topics you are supposed to go over included: Nutrition and Cooking, Home Economics, Childcare, Hygiene and Health, Communication Skills, Filling out job applications, etc.  Instead, all they do in your class is listen to your weird teacher, Ms. Bizzel tell all of her creepy stories.  Last week, she told a story about how her daughter ran away and was gone for days and she didn’t bother calling authorities or anything because “Class, I knew she would come crawling back.”  Ugh.  And, the week before that, she was talking about this weird growth on her aunt’s back.  What a weirdo she is.

 

Today, however, is a little bit different.  Instead of telling a creepy story, Ms. Bizzel is actually deciding to teach something for once.  You know because she actually said, “Class, get out your textbooks,” a phrase she says…oh, every two weeks or so.  You’re actually a tiny bit concerned about it.  Since you aren’t actually learning all that often in class, you are worried that when the big midterm and end of the year exams come, you might end up failing.  Unless, all of the questions have to do with her strange stories…*shivers* gross.

 

Right now, you are all silently reading the chapter she assigned you to read, which is about jobs in the fashion industry for teens.  Why does there have to be a whole chapter dedicated to that?  Jobs in the fashion industry for teens: folding shirts in a mall store.  There.  Lesson done.  But, no, you have a boring, long chapter you have to read. Ugh.  Ms. Bizzel only gives you guys those reading assignments to keep you busy while she goes on Facebook. 

 

When she finally gets bored with playing around on her computer, Ms. Bizzel shrills, “Okay, class, now that you’ve read the chapter, it’s time to discuss the class project.”  She walks to the front of the class as the students all groan.

 

“This project is going to be half of your grade for this semester, so unless you want a bad report card, participation is necessary,” she announces.  More groans fill the room.

 

“We are going to do a fashion show two months from now!” she cheers.  The class’s groans are replaced with claps and people chattering excitedly about it.  You, however, are not thrilled in the least.  What does this have to do with Teen Living?  You knew she was just making you guys do the show for “fun” and not to educate you about the wonders of the fashion industry.  You roll your eyes and sigh…this is not going to be fun, especially because your teacher is in charge of the whole ordeal, and she’s totally wacky! 

 

Right as you’re thinking, Man, this is gonna blow!, she starts pulling out poster boards that she drew on, showing all of her plans.  They are all drawings of each “segment”, which includes what the set design will look like, and figures she drew wearing sample outfits.  Like, for example, one is supposed to be “50s Icons”, and the set looks like an old timey diner, and the guys are dressed like greasers and the girls are dressed in either poodle skirts or like Marilyn Monroe.  There’s a bunch of other segments: “The Jazz Age,” “Hippies”, “UFO Couture”, “Malibu Barbie and Ken”, “Formalwear”, etc.  Then, she gets to the last one, “The Party Scene”, which looks like a party with a big stereo in the background, a disco ball, and a table full of refreshments like dips and chips in the background.  It looks so cheesy.

 

“Now,” the teacher announces, “We’re all going to go to the auditorium to practice walking like models.  Even if you don’t plan on modeling in the show, and want to be backstage crew or something, you still have to practice today.  No exceptions!  Now line up at the door!”

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Man, this ! You think to yourself.  She’s got you all walking around with books on your head, trying to keep them from falling, to practice good posture.  What a load of bullcrap!  You, obviously, are having trouble keeping the book up, and so is everyone else in the class. 

<
Please log in to read the full chapter