Infatuations & Jealousy

Coffeeshop Cliché

Monday morning. First day on the job. Kevin got through classes quickly that day, anticipation flowing through his veins and causing him to smile and enjoy the day even more than usual, if even possible.

 

Right now though, he was heading home to change into a T-shirt and some jeans, and get some gaming in before heading to work. Work. Kevin liked the sound of that. Being able to have a job and buy what he wanted whenever he needed it.

 

Just then, pulling Kevin out of thought, Hoon hopped onto the couch and pulled his friend into a hug. "Keeeevvvvvvviiiinnnnn~~~~" He began in a playfully whiny tone. "I missed you, chingu. Did you miss me?" He asked, his arms still wrapped around the other. 

 

"No," the caramel haired young scholar replied, giggling. "Why would I miss you?" He asked. 

 

Hoon groaned in reply. "But Keviiiinnnnnnn!!! Saranghaaaeeeee." Hoon threw himself into Kevin's lap. 

 

Kevin laughed, "I did miss you, Hoon. How could I not have?" He asked in his bright tone. 

 

"I know, it's impossible, right?" Hoon asked, a sly smirk creeping onto his childish features.

 

Kevin pushed Hoon playfully out of his lap, laughing his trademarked laugh. He perked up after a moment, remembering he had to tell the other about his new job. "Hoon!" He exclaimed. "Guess what.~"

 

Hoon sat up, growing curious at the other's sudden mood change. "What, you finally learned to play the game correctly after I left?" He asked jokingly. 

 

The latter rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "Aish, no. I got a job! At Morning Kiss!" He exclaimed. "I start today, actually!" He told the other happily. 

 

Hoon blinked. "Wait, what? You got a job at that cafe?! That's awesome! When did you apply? I had no idea."

 

Kevin shook his head. "That's the thing! I never applied to begin with! I went over there Saturday, and the manager of the place and I started talking. He said that my friend who also works there tried to get me a job with him, so he just hired me!"

 

Hoon raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Really? Ah, that's so awesome!" He exclaimed, pulling the other into a hug. "Congratulations." He laughed before glancing at the cable box display, which told the time. "What time do you have to be at work?"

 

"11:30. I'll be home a little after 3." He smiled. 

 

Hoon turned back to Kevin, an almost concerned expression taking over his previous one. "You better get going, then. It's going on 11:20." He informed the other.

 

Kevin gasped. "Ah, I gotta get going. Wish me luck, Hoon!!" He called, already making his way towards the door. 

 

As Kevin left, Hoon just laughed to himself. "Good luck, chingu."

 

It only took a little while for Kevin to make it to Morning Kiss, and when he did, Eli and Dongho seemed to be waiting for him as they chatted quietly next to the register. Dongho was the one who noticed Kevin first, smiling brightly and waving. Kevin happily returned both favors, approaching the two in anticipation. 

 

Dongho lifted the door next to the register to let Kevin behind the counter. "Congratulations on your first day! You'd better mark this on your calendar." He chuckled, joking. Eli smiled at Dongho's comment, turning to Kevin. "He's right. This is a day to go down in history." He told the caramel headed boy, handing him a green apron. It was their uniform, really. 

 

Kevin happily put the apron on, laughing at the two's jokes. "Of course. I didn't think I'd be so popular seconds in to my job." He replied.

 

Dongho rolled his eyes and scoffed playfully. "Popular. You can't be popular when Eli's gonna be keeping you in the kitchen all day."

 

Kevin shot a questioning glance towards Eli, who just returned the eye contact with a chuckle. "I have to put you through a bit of training, of course."

 

Kevin nearly facepalmed. Of course there was training. He knew nothing about coffee, or how to work the caffeinated liquid. He smiled. "Ah, right. I didn't think about that." 

 

"Unless you've got experience at a cafe." Dongho chuckled.

 

Kevin shook his head, looking at the other male. "Not at all." He laughed. "Unless drinking it counts."

 

Dongho just rolled his eyes, patting Kevin's shoulder playfully. "Well, you two go play school. I have customers to serve." 

 

And that's when Eli led Kevin towards the kitchen, where Morning Kiss baked sweets and brewed up their finest coffee, along with many other kinds of drinks. 

 

Trainee Kevin followed the black haired male around and listened intently to his information, directions, and explanations. Everything around the little coffeehouse seemed easy enough to work. Kevin was quite happy he got hired, too. 

 

The two got along quite well, and even bonded a little as they conversed freely between "work talk".

 

After all was gone over, Eli directed Kevin over to one of the machines, and had Kevin make his first latte. 

 

"Good job!" Eli smiled as he watched the other. "Looks good, except it's missing something..." He told the other, his face housing a smile as he spoke. He picked up a stirring straw, put it in Kevin's hand, and stood behind him. He guided Kevin's hand with his own, peeking over the boy's shoulder so he had a better perspective of the latte. This caused Kevin to quickly become flustered, his cheeks flushing a bright pink as he allowed Eli to take his hand.

 

Eli guided the straw lightly over the creamy top of the foamy drink. From Kevin's point of view, it looked like he was spelling something...

 

'K... E... V... Wait. Is he spelling my name?'

 

In fact, Eli was. His writing was so nice too, like script. He finished up the design, taking his hand away from Kevin's so he could look at what he'd written. Kevin blinked down at the cup, his cheeks still flushed as he read the creamy scribbles. "Kevin's first cup! Drink up!~"  It said, little stars around the words. 

 

He smiled up at the dark haired barista. "How did you do this?" He asked, totally surprised. "Ah, I need to take a picture." He giggled, pulling out his phone and sitting down the warm drink. After taking a few pictures, Eli insisted Kevin drink it in celebration. With a laugh, the young boy nodded and took a grateful sip, very, very satisfied with the taste. He was proud of himself, and Eli was proud of him too.

 

---

 

A few weeks had gone by and Kevin had been quite satisfied with life as of late. His class grades were great, and he absolutely loved working at Morning Kiss. Eli and Kevin had grown quite close, and always seemed to partner up during the job. 

 

Dongho, on the other hand, did not like this one bit. He always told Kevin that he thought Eli favored him over the other workers. "I'm sure it's just 'cause I'm new," insisted the caramel headed barista-in-the-making each time.

 

But he knew where Dongho was coming from. It was true; he and Eli always spent their mutual work hours together. Kevin was just drawn to him, and vice versa... It wasn't like he could help it. They just got along well was all.

 

Too Well for Dongho. How could Kevin choose Eli over him, his childhood friend? He found the fact ignorant, and hurtful. He was good enough at hiding it that Kevin never actually realized he was causing his friend pain... and possibly ruining their friendship in the process.

 

It wasn't to that point quite yet, Dongho would confront him soon. Maybe he was just jealous... But Kevin was his friend. He knew him first. Jealousy was natural, right?

 

...Right?

 

---

 

Kevin finished serving the last customer of the day and took his apron off, hanging it on one of the racks in the back. It was a Friday night, Dongho hadn't worked that day. And Kevin didn't work the next day. He had off weekends. Eli approached the other from behind, tapping him on the shoulder playfully. In his hand he held a double chocolate frappe. "I made you your favorite.~" He smiled, handing the boy the frozen drink. On the side, where you'd usually jot down a customer's name, there was a series of digits... a phone number. Under it, in Eli's handwriting (Kevin could recognize the neat script anywhere), it read "Call me!~" 

 

Kevin took the drink with flushed cheeks. "Ew, you're so cheesy, Eli." He joked in attempt to rid of the red on his face. 

 

Eli just laughed. "Well since you're off tomorrow, I was thinking we could get together or something. I have off tomorrow as well." He smiled. 

 

The latter smiled, still flushed. The offer only made it worse. After sipping the frozen delicacy gratefully, he nodded. "Of course.~" He replied.

 

Eli seemed satisfied with his answer, looking at the other. "Cool." He replied. "Well I guess I'll get going. You should, too. You've got a whole day ahead of you."  He chuckled. 

 

"Yeah, I have to do some shopping for the dorm anyhow." Kevin returned.

 

Eli held his arms out, raising his eyebrows in question.

 

Quickly, Kevin filled them and hugged the other goodbye. Pulling back, he smiled.

 

"Tomorrow then?"

 

Eli nodded. "Tomorrow.~"

 

And with that, the two parted ways, and Kevin went shopping and quickly returned home, making sure he kept the cup with Eli's number close.

 

~~~

 

Thank you for reading, chingus! If you liked this chapter, then please do consider giving us a vote.~ Stay amazing, guys. ♥