Chapter 1

The New Kid

'The new kid is getting bashed up by them!' Bambam came in shouting to whoever is left in class for lunch break. With that, everyone ran out to watch. 'Them' most probably referred to the group of popular guys who nearly the entire school swoon over, and they went around doing not so nice things. New kid? That wouldn't be good. You walked to the cafeteria to find a huge crowd already there. You silently snuck to the side where you could see a part of the fight. Not that you were curious, you always did not bother about such fights, but you were worried for the new kid who was apparently in your course. He was sitting at a corner of the lecture theatre alone. 

 

'See if you would dare to take our seat anymore!' And a fist flew onto his face, knocking him down to the ground. So this is about him taking their seat by accident? How childish could they get. Looks like he thought the same as you as you could see an annoyed look at his face. There was already bruises and blood over his face and you cringed at that sight. Blood isn't exactly your most favourable thing. Just when he stood up and wanted to fight back, some kid shouted.

 

'The teachers are coming!' With that, they walked away, each kicking him on the way out. I have to say, they are really a bunch of cowards. You saw him limp out of the canteen and followed him until he stopped and sat down at a grass patch in a secluded place in the school. He sat there as he stare into space and sighed. You stood there contemplating whether to help until you saw him trying to wipe the blood off but staining his shirt sleeve instead. 

 

'You okay?' You went to him and was about to sit next to him.

 

'Go away.' He continued looking in front as he said in a stern tone. 

 

You ignored him and sat down, and started trying to wipe the blood off his shirt sleeve but it did not help much as it was already stained onto the sleeve itself. 'It doesn't work like that.' You could hear a slight change in his tone as he's eye softened. 

 

'Yeah, I kinda just found out.' You said, taking out your handkerchief. He laughed slightly at your stupidity and cringed when it hurt his mouth. He stopped laughing and looked at you as you knelt in front of him and wiped the blood of his face. He flinched when you reached the side of his mouth which was wounded quite badly. 'I'm sorry! I'll try to be gentler.' He stared at your face as you were fixed on his wounds. Stupid. He did not know if he was scolding himself or talking about you. 'Done!' You looked at his face again to make sure you did not miss any parts. 'You'll need some ointment though. I have it back in the lecture theatre.' He stood up and helped you up.

 

'You have ointment in your bag?' What is she? A nurse?

 

'Yeah, I kinda get injured on a daily basis.' He looked at you. 'I have two boxes of plasters too!' His expression was changing. 'My friend gifted me one for my birthday.' It was cute seeing you enthusiastic about your stuff but he can't help to be worried about you.

 

'And why did you help me?' You thought about it for a moment. Why did I help him actually?

 

'Coz nobody actually care about me coz I get injured too often that people finds it a joke and even though it's kinda my fault I got injured but it's not a nice feeling. I just actually get scolded for it coz my friends find me stupid.' You never talked so much in front of someone you just met before but you did not feel awkward about it. 

 

'What course do you take?' Both of you were already walking towards the lecture theatre. 

 

'The same as yours. I saw you when you came in. I don't talk this much usually. I think there's something wrong with me.' You started hitting your mouth. Your throat was getting dry. He laughed again at you. 

 

'I don't talk much either.' 

 

'Yeah I kinda realized that.' He looked at you and you smiled back. 

 

'Um, can I sit next to you?' He asked as he realized that the seat next to yours was empty and you nodded. As he went to get his belongings, you took out the ointment in your bag and settled down.

 

You began applying it gently on his face, ignoring the looks others were giving you. They did not care much about you usually anyways. Once again, he was staring at your face while you fixed your attention on applying the ointment. 'I don't know your name yet. I'm Youngjae, Choi Youngjae.'

 

'You didn't ask for my name.' You stuck your tongue out at him. 'Jin Ae, Park Jin Ae.' Pretty name.


Soon, the lecture ended. You met Jae Bum and Jin Young at the entrance. Jin Young waved at you, smiling, while Jae Bum didn't even bother to look at you. 'Hi!' You waved back before they walked away.

 

You sighed unknowingly as you and Youngjae walked on. 'Who's that?' And why did you sigh? 

 

'Oh, the one who waved is Jin Young oppa, and uh, the one who didn't wave is Jae Bum oppa.' Youngjae looked at you as you looked away, knowing that you were keeping something from him. You turned back and he continued staring at you. 'Okay, it's nothing much actually. It's just that Jae Bum is my sunbae in charge of me in school previously and also the closest one, while Jin Young is also my sunbae but not in my group and not close to me at all.' Youngjae looked at you. Sounds like you got the names wrong to him. He nodded and urged you to continue. 'But suddenly, Jae Bum oppa just pretended like he never knew me while Jin Young oppa is the one smiling and waving at me first. Jae Bum oppa don't even look at me now. It's been quite some time now. I didn't even do anything wrong to him. I didn't even do anything.' You felt relieved that you could finally tell someone but was still disturbed by the fact that Jae Bum ignores you.

 

Meanwhile, Youngjae was thinking about something else after hearing you out. 'You like that Jae Bum guy don't you.' He poked you by the side, trying to hide the tinge of disappointment in his tone while you did not notice at all.

 

'No I don't! Why would I like him!' Youngjae raised his eyebrows at you. 'Maybe, maybe I do, but I don't even know how it feels like to like someone...'

 

On the bright side, she is not 100% sure that she likes him. And I might have a chance. But Youngjae knew that you had feelings for him even if you did not know it yourself. And it would be hard to forget one's first love. If you really do like him that is. 

 

Before you knew it, you have reached your home and it struck you that you have just unknowingly dragged Youngjae along. 'Crap crap crap. Where's your house? I kinda just walked you to my house without even knowing. Do you know how to get back? I'm really really sorry.' You wanted to kill yourself as you could not look at Youngjae.

 

You looked like you were going to cry and Youngjae was taken aback. Pabo. 'It's okay! My house is just here actually.' You did not believe him. 'It's here! It's two houses down the road. So I'm practically your neighbour neighbour.' 

 

'Don't lie.' You looked at him as you sniffed. What a great day to announce your stupidity. 

 

'I'll bring you there then.' Youngjae grabbed onto your hand and pulled you down the road. He stopped at directly two doors down and took out his key which actually unlocked the door. 'See?' You stared at him. 'So it's not your fault. It could have been me walking you back and coincidentally stopping at your house instead. Now let's take our crybaby back home.' He locked the door and started pulling you back to your house.

 

'I'm not a crybaby. I didn't cry.'

 

'You almost did. Can I have your number?' 

 

'I don't give someone who called me a crybaby my number.'

 

'Yes you do.' Youngjae held out his other hand in front of you. Frowning, you took out your phone and passed it to him. After calling his own number, he passed it back to you.'It's the number I just dialed. Stop frowning now. I'm sorry for calling you that.' Youngjae pinched your cheeks. 

 

You were about to enter your house when you realised that you were still holding onto each other's hands. 'Oh.' He let go of your hand and waved at you. 'Bye neighbour neighbour Jin Ae! See you tomorrow!' 

 

'See you Youngjae! And don't call me that!' You were half into your house when Youngjae called you again.

 

'Oh and Jin Ae! I can actually fight back!' You thought for a moment and remembered the fight just now.

 

'Yeah sure thing!'

 

 

 

[A/N] There, the first chapter. Was it okay? I hope it was >< I'm really sorry if it's like super short though. I'll try to make the rest longer.