one

Can't you just love me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Destiny is like a river. A river that follows its own rules and flows on the way it has to. Our life it's a well-done puzzle and every piece is a consequence of other people's actions. So, we often tend to think that it is not God who puts the pieces together, but we are the ones influencing our lives. We keep thinking that because we are afraid of admitting that we are only some pawns that are used to keep balance. Doesn't living lose its scent if we think that we influence everything? Isn't it more exciting living a mystic life where destiny has its saying. Atleast, you have someone to blame. When you lose someone isn't it about 'why did you leave me?', is it about 'how do I leave your memory?'.

"Lady, please." Seulgi broke her servant's hold on her and ran. She didn't know why was she running. It wasn't something she wanted to see, anyway. It would be painful and heart-wrenching - if it wasn't already. Tears were continuously falling even though she had been taught how to hold them in. However, these tears wouldn't go back. They were burning her cheeks and she felt dizzy because of the screams she kept holding in on the way to the Huang House. At the time she reached the back court, her breath hitched and she clasped at her chest tightly, gasping for air. Her legs were numb, but she managed to make a few steps to the front. 

"What are you doing here?", a tall man who she thought that maybe was Zitao - she wasn't sure, though - asked. The tears were blurring her vision and she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. She thought that a day like this would come, it was somehow, written in the stars. There could only be an end to all of this, but she wasn't hoping for it to happen so quickly. Memories started to flash at the back of her mind and she felt more helpless than ever. She still hoped that it wasn't happening that she wasn't standing next to the corpse of the man she loved, of the man who loved her more than anything, of the man who she still loves. Her legs finally gave up, and she fell right next to him. She didn't mind if her life would be taken, too. Now, nothing mattered. The battle just became useless and it left a bitter taste at the tip of her tongue. With a trembling hand she reached to touch him. She took in his appearance, and the pain in her chest increased. His lips were chapped and purple, his face was white like the snowflakes that just started to fall from the sky with no avail. With her hand she slowly closed his still open eyes and looked at the white sky. If this was destiny, it was so cruel. If those gods decided to make such a move on the chess table then it was unfair. You can't kill a King. That's not how the game goes. Her eyes were red and her jet black hair was slowly whitening with the help of the now heavily-falling snow. Then, she remembered. She remembered that the Queen always protects the King.

Zitao had diverted his gaze a long time ago, focusing on the place where his enemy's body would soon be turned into ashes. If all of this ended, why did he feel so unsettled? Seulgi's cries made him lose his focus and instead of angering him they were softening his features. If love was such a gift sent by Gods, why didn't they help Jongin with life? Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Clearing his throat he looked at the woman. He slowly approached her, trying to say words of comfort. Words he didn't even think of saying before.

"I am taking the Prince's corpse. He will not be resting on a foreign land. He must be sent to his homeland." Her gaze was piercing and Zitao was taken aback by the hardness behind it. Pain does make you stronger. 

"Lady, I..."

"How does it feel to have your sword stained with a real King's blood?", she looked at him with venom, raising to her feet. Her maid pulled her back by the hand, trying to stop her from getting beheaded.

"It wasn't my doing. Since when do you listen to this kind of gossips?", Zitao said between gritted teeth, "I'm warning you. Don't say something you may regret later."

"身正不怕影子斜. A straight foot is not afraid of a crooked shoe." Seulgi slightly bowed, a smirk crowning her features. "I hope you will be wise enough to respect my request."

Zitao sighed in annoyance, all of his comforting words being swallowed down his throat. He watched the retreating figure of Seulgi and he wondered of how many things could she be capable of. She was the strongest girl he has ever met. They grew up together and the memory of meeting her was still livid. He knew that she was different from others, especially when he saw her fighting. She was a fighter. The sword was part of her. He wondered when did he fall in love with her in such a hopeless way. At which moment he stopped seeing her as his littler sister and started to see her as the only thing that mattered? Maybe it was when he named her Yuè, hoping that she would some day call him Yún. In an ironic way, just how the Moon and the Sun are meant to be always separated, they are, too. If, one day he thought she was easy to reach, now she was too far away from him. Because between Sun and Moon, there is always an Earth. The Earth is an element much too strong. Only if things could go back. Back to how they were then.

♠♠♠

Months ago

The moonlight was slowly dancing on the river's surface. A horse was quietly watching his master who, with his hands tightly clasped at his back, was thoughtfully contemplating the view. His armor was hugging his frame, and he felt it like kind of heavy on his body who had always been nicely dressed in silk. Yet, maybe it wasn't the armor's weight that was overwhelming, but the responsibility he held on his shoulders. A responsibility he still felt even between his silk sheets.

"Why isn't he eating?", Sehun asked both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Chanyeol was known as the General, he beared a lot of fights, despite his age, but at his 32 years of life he was the best fighter out there. He and Jongin became friends very fast. However, he was a loner and he noticed that. Jongin always liked loneliness, he knew that because no matter how much he tried to befriend the younger, he couldn't approach him. It was painful to see a human-being struggling so much. Chanyeol was now a General and it wasn't his place to give personal advice to Jongin, but if he was to give one would be for him to get drunk. Maybe, that way, he could have a peaceful sleep. Thinking that, he took another sip of the wine. Kyungsoo, thoughtfully looked at Jongin who was far away from them, at the brink of the river, and then back at Sehun. He still didn't understand what was the younger doing here, he was still inexperienced.

"Let him be.", Kyungsoo said.

"It's not easy for him to give up a King's cloth for a slave's. We will never know his burden.", Chanyeol said, the alcohol making its way into his system, "We will never know his pain. I wonder if royalty is really a gift sent from Heavens. When I see him struggling like that, that's why I always wonder. Living as a stranger in your own country, with your hands tied... That's not the life of a King. A King is made to rule, not to be ruled."

 

 

 

The fog was slowly raising itself and embracing the dark valley. On the narrow road that separated the two mountains, a row of people could be seen.

"Your Royal Highness, don't do it! It's dangerous! There are only a few soldiers!" Sehun said, catching the Prince's arm with his soft one. His eyes were pleading, he had a deep frown on his face, look that almost made the man in front of him flinch. However, today was a day that wasn't to be repeated too soon, so whatever the risks could be, there weren't many choices.

Kyungsoo, who had been lazily watching both of them, moved on watching the fifty men who were accompanying the golden litter. It was more than weird, he had to admit. When he tried to open his mouth, the Prince's voice could be heard and he turned to the man, listening attentively.

The Prince drank in all of his surroundings with a loving stare, "You love your mother, dear brother, right?", Prince Jongin smiled at his step-brother who looked at him with confused eyes, "When you first opened your eyes, you saw your mother. Your mother held your hand and taught you how to make your first steps. Your mother held you in her arms, lulling you to sleep every night.", Kyungsoo let out a soft sigh, watching Jongin with a caring gaze, "When I opened my eyes, I first saw this.", Jongin opened his arms wide, "I didn't hold my mother's hand, I held a sword. I wasn't taught how to make my first steps, I was taught how to fight. Nobody sang me lullabies, I only heard songs of war.", General Park looked down realizing the meaning of the Prince's words, "Do you know why? Because I was raised as the future King. as the people's future hope. I am Heaven's hope for making things right. I am my Father's hope. You know the reason behind my Father's illness, right? He got ill when he saw the corpses of his people who died of hunger because of other's greed. I will not allow such thing.", he looked at the soldiers who were looking at the ground in respect, "This is my fight, I know. If any of you wants to back down, I will not hold any grudge against you. Life is a treasure that everyone has to protect in its own way. However, for me, this land and your well-being are more important than my life. Even with my last breath, I will still fight for you. That's why I am doing this, Sehun," The Prince said looking at his brother who looked at him with teary eyes.

Kyungsoo sighed again, holding his sword tighter. In the blink of an eye he knelt in front of Jongin, "Your Royal Highness!". Jongin widened his eyes when he saw the boy's movement. Kyungsoo was the b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter