Closer

Closer

"A girl who is afraid of love, is a girl who needs love most. Chaerin open your eyes, I'm here to be by your side~"  Seungyoon sang beautifully under the sunny golden rays and gently strums the last note. "Thank you. Thank you." He slightly bows his head to the small audience he managed to gather on the streets of Seoul.

As the audience disperses, he kneels down and scoops up the coins with his hand that were dropped in his guitar case. He smiles wide over the outcome of the money he made and the happiness he felt wasn't felt alone as Chaerin was more than happy to take half of the profit he earned.

"I have copyright over my name." She stood in front of him.

He  stood up as soon as he heard the welcoming voice, "Do you now?" He looked at her amusingly.

She nods and pretends to be in deep thought while counting her fingers. "4 times. You said my name 4 times. Wow, that's a lot. I won't take legal action but I can't let you off easy. Money." She demanded with her hand sticking out.

"I guess there's no helping it." He raises a handful of coins over her hand but he does not let one coin slip through  his fingers. "Wait a minute. You never paid me back. I think I'll keep the money to myself." 

"But you never lent me any money?" Her brows knitted in confusion.

His smile formed into a grin, "I'm talking about something much more valuable than money that you took from me, little lady." He shoves the coins in his pocket and started packing up his guitar.

"And what could that possibly be?" She asked while putting her hands on her hips, showing her impatience.

"You took my...heart." He replied teasingly while pursing his lips. "If only you took my ity instead."

"I knew having a boyfriend with big lips meant he had a big mouth. Don't say your thoughts out in the open. So embarrassing-" She grunts in annoyance when she hears his laughter. He clearly wasn't taking her seriously. "Seungyoon-ah!"

He stops his teasing when she said his name in the manner he dislikes very much, "It's like you're talking to a little kid when you say my name like that. I don't like it." He slightly frowned while twisting the special ring between his finger as he looked at it. "Do you think I'm your friend? I'm not. I'm your boyfriend."

"Yeobo," She said for his satisfaction, putting a big smile on his face. "It worries me how easily pleased you get."

"You should worry, worry until you can't fall asleep at night because I easily fall head over heels for any girl that compliments me with sweet words that I like to hear." He said in a menacing tone, earning him a smack on the shoulder by her.

"Stop playing around or... or else I'll give my phone number to Jinwoo." She threatened as she was hurt by his comment.

His face stiffened upon hearing the unfamiliar name, "Who's Jinwoo?"

"...No one." She feigned innocence.

"This no one has a name, Jinwoo. Jinwoo who?" He pressed on and poked her side, purposely making her slightly jump, "I'll nag forever until I get an answer." 

She sighed and interlocked her arm with her boyfriend. She then drags him to start walking along the sidewalk with her, "Jinwoo is my new neighbor that moved in on the same floor as me. I only talked to him for a brief moment when him and I were both heading down to the first floor to get our mail. He's still practically a stranger. And if you haven't noticed by now I was only using him to make you regret saying you easily fall head over heels for any girl..."

"Oh," He kept cool and calm but she wasn't buying it.

"Don't feel threatened. He's just my neighbor."

He snorted out a chuckle and  found it very unnecessary for her to  even say such a thing to him. "I know."

 

 

Less than 24 hours later,

 

"I can't meet you right now. Jinwoo is having problems with figuring out how to use the house appliances and asked if I could help him out." The message from Chaerin did not make Seungyoon's heart feel at ease. And maybe because it's his first serious relationship with a woman he couldn't help but act on his more than jealous feelings in a less than mature way.

 

 

"You came down from Imjado. Why the big move to Seoul?" Chaerin was carrying a conversation with Jinwoo while showing him how to properly use a rice cooker in his home.

Jinwoo stood close behind her while looking over her shoulder to carefully take in the technique she uses to make rice which is nothing to it; she just rinses the rice clean and left a certain amount of water inside before placing it in the rice cooker to cook.  "I uhm, I came to Seoul to try my luck in acting. Ah, lets say if I have lots of guest to feed can I add more rice in the pot to make bigger servings?" He spoke softly.

Chaerin smiled while shaking her head, "Keep to this amount unless you want to risk the rice coming out stale or hard." She turns around to face him, and he was quick to take a couple steps back to widen the gap between them. That small action of his gave her happy feelings because his actions is something she can relay to her boyfriend and that is how  Jinwoo is harmless.

"You're a big help, Chaerin-ssi." Jinwoo sighed in relief. "You're making my move out here a lot easier than I expected."

"All I did was help you with stuff I'm sure you could have learned on your own, but I'm glad to make things easier for you." She chuckled softly, "If you need help with anything else, you know where I'll be."

"You'll be...across the hall." He timidly pointed out and smiled shyly.

"That's right. I'll see you around, neighbor."

"Mhm." He nodded and moved aside for her to make her way out of the kitchen. When she stepped out of the kitchen, he steps further inside it to keep himself hidden from her as he desperately needed to get out of his shirt that's been soaked by his own sweat.

 

Chaerin reached for the doorknob and did not expect to see what she saw behind the door she opened.  Her boyfriend seen kneeled down on one knee in front of her. Marriage proposal? Not even close. Seungyoon kneeled down on one knee because he was lighting a brown paper bag on fire. A little welcoming present for Jinwoo or more like an eviction notice for him?

"What are you doing?" Chaerin asked in a panic. It wasn't hard to see what he was doing. He obviously put something disgusting like dog poop in the paper bag with plans to get Jinwoo to come out and stomp down on the fire he created just so he can be satisfied seeing Jinwoo make a fool out of himself but what caused Seungyoon to do such a thing. Jealousy.

Seungyoon quickly stood up on his feet when he heard the door open and heard Chaerin's voice. "It's not what it looks li-" He nearly gagged when he took a whiff of the awful stench coming from the burning paper bag.

Chaerin grunted in annoyance and attempts to put the small fire out by covering the turning-to-ashes paper bag with her jacket but Seungyoon stopped her by hugging her tightly around the waist and pushing her backwards because he couldn't have her ruin the jacket he bought  for her.


The commotion and the strange smell coming from the couple was bound to catch Jinwoo's attention. "Did she not leave yet?" Jinwoo steps out of the kitchen, leaving his shirt behind. He starts hyperventaliting when he saw another person inside his home. That's way more people than he could handle, way more than he trained himself for.


Seungyoon eyes faltered from Chaerin to Jinwoo, making him lose his concentration for a split second enough time for Chaerin to pull away from him and finally put out the fire with her jacket that she repeatedly slammed down on the floor. 

She completely drops the now ragged jacket and places her hand over her chest where she felt the pounding of her  erratically beating heart.  "What just happened?" Everything happened so quickly she needed time to process.

"I want to ask the same thing." Seungyoon is seen pointing at Jinwoo, "Why is that guy half ?"

Chaerin  looked at Jinwoo and wasn't concerned about him being shirtless but was more  concerned over the fact that  he looked pale and  appeared to be gasping for air. "Jinwoo-ssi!" She slaps Seungyoon on the back for being immobile. "Don't just stand there!" She scolded and hurriedly goes to Jinwoo's side.

Jinwoo places his hand on her shoulder once she was close enough to reach his arms out to and he carefully lowers himself down to his knees. He was sweating bullets and kept hyperventilating. Chaerin goes down on her knees with him and started wiping the sweat off his drenched forehead. "What's wrong with you, huh?" She asked worriedly, tears started welling up her eyes as she feared he may currently be having a heart attack which explains his terrifying trembling body.

"He's having a panic attack." Seungyoon corrected her thoughts, had started thoroughly watching Jinwoo actions when he saw him  lay his hand on his girlfriend. "Move aside.." 

Chaerin sniffled and moves for Seungyoon to kneel before Jinwoo. "Jinwoo, he said wants to try his luck in acting." She muttered nervously.

Seungyoon smiled at her assuring her that Jinwoo will be finet. He clears his throat before cupping Jinwoo's cheeks and tilted his head up for their eyes to meet, "My name is Kang Seungyoon. I'm Lee Chaerin's boyfriend. I'm not a bad  guy or else Chae wouldn't be dating me so don't be afraid, okay."

Jinwoo trembling hands latched tightly onto Seunyoon's wrist. His eyes showed fear while his lips twitched and his head shaking. Jinwoo just can't seem to control his own body.

"Jinwoo, do me a favor and try to do the coping mechnasm that helps you get through these panic attacks. You do have a coping mechanism, right?" Seungyoon voice is strong and powerful yet calming.

Jinwoo tightly shuts his eyes while trying to control his breathing, "Ha...Ha...Hana, p-please." He managed to speak out.

"Hana?" In other words the number one in native korean language. Seungyoon nodded knowing what should be done next. "Chaerin could you please go outside."

Chaerin didn't question Seungyoon and stood up from her spot. She closed the door to Jinwoo's apartment when she made her way out of there, leaving only one guest for Jinwoo. Slowly, Jinwoo breathing became normal and his body loosens up. It was safe to say that Jinwoo is doing fine for the most part.

Seungyoon pulled his hand away from Jinwoo's face, and cringed at how he had the mans sweat was all over his hand, "Gross...Hey guy, since you clearly have some internal issues going on, I won't make things worst for you by getting angry at you for having your shirt off in front of my girlfriend, but if it happens again." Seungyoon threatened by clenching  a tight fist in the air.

"You don't have to ever worry about that." Jinwoo took a deep long breath before breaking down in tears, "I think it's best if I go back to my hometown. I'm such a fool for thinking my social anxiety would magically be cured if I moved into a big city where I have no choice but to be surrounded by lots of people, but it looks likes this is as far as I go. And it's not very far." He wiped away his tears and lowered his head, pulling onto his hair out of frustration while rocking his body back and forth, hating himself for being this way. "I should just hide from the world forever." He wheezed.


Seungyoon awkwardly bit down his lips, his brows knitting together as he tries to figure out what action to take in this obviously serious situation. Jinwoo, the guy seem to be broken. "...You're not going to turn your head away if I try to kiss you, are you?"

Jinwoo froze at the unexpected question, the  puzzled expression on his face is brought by great confusion. Seungyoon grinned and wiggle his eyebrows mischievously when he caught Jinwoo's gaze.

"I could take you on~" Whispered words from Seungyoon brought an unwelcomed shiver down Jinwoo's spine. 

"Y-yah, why are you being like this?! I never gave any impression for you to act this way towards m-me." Jinwoo shook his head furiously and shuffled away while wiping away his tears stain cheeks at the same time.

Seungyoon looked away and rolled his eyes. Grinding his teeth together, he mentally prepares for the next plan of action. He put his view of line back  at Jinwoo and started crawling towards him, "Don't run away my cute little deer. You think having those beautiful big eyes and milky smooth skin could make me resist you. Let me touch you, babe." Seunghyoon nearly laughed at how he managed to say that with a straight face.

When Jinwoo stood up on his feet, Seungyoon clenched his jaw, and his hands curled into a tight fist with his muscles tighten on his abdomen he prepares himself for the blow he is about to take from Jinwoo. He groans and flipped on his backside after getting kicked in the stomach by Jinwoo just like he expected would happen if he kept pushing his buttons.

"YOU BIG CREEP!" Jinwoo shouted from the top of his lungs, the loudest he has ever shouted.The anger mixed with adrenaline pushed him to be loudly spoken and violent. 

"Are you standing up to me?! Don't you know I could kill you for doing this?!" Seungyoon questioned through gritted teeth.

"GO AHEAD AND KILL ME,  I DON'T CARE. I'LL TAKE YOU ON, BASTARD. I'M NOT AFRAID!" Jinwoo declared, huffing angrily. He glares down at Seungyoon before giving him another hard kick to the stomach.

 Seungyoon hugs his painful stomach,  "You should be." He grimaces, wanting more out of Jinwoo. 

"BUT I WON'T BE. I WON'T BE AFRAID. I'M GOING TO HELP CHAERIN GET PAST YOU BECAUSE SHE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU." Jinwoo shocked himself by not only continuing to speak confidently, but also holding a stance that exudes confidence. His back was straight and his chin is higher than usal.  It was such a different change. A good change. 

Seungyoon propped himself on his elbows, "Just like how you deserve so much better than this." Seungyoon stated nicely.

"Yeah, just like like how I deserve so much better than..." Jinwoo words drifted out off as he finds himself lost in his thoughts.

Suddenly, the door swayed open, revealing a smiling Chaerin at the doorway. "I sort of overheard everything." She confessed and walked over to Seungyoon, extending out a helping hand for him.

Jinwoo was at a lost of breath for a moment when Chaerin entered the room but over overall he didn't panic having more than one person in his home.

Seungyoon holds onto Chaerin's hand and carefully pulls himself up with her help. He then took pleasure in wrapping  his arm around Chaerin shoulder and letting her take over the sitation with Jinwoo. "Metaphorically speaking, Seungyoon is like the world; confusing, scary, unpredictable but even knowing all that you were willing to fight through it and came out alive. We don't know how severe your social anxiety is but judging by what just happened we believe you could overcome it because deep down inside you know there's some good in the world that you look foreword to seeing and Jinwoo if you dig deeper down you know you're capable of being determined, courageous and strong enough to be in this world."

Jinwoo warm cheeks turned blushed pink as he kindly took Chaerin words in, "After all the years of trying to treat this problem of mine this method by far worked the best. Thank you Chaerin and...Seungyoon. You two make me really believe that someday I'll live without this anxiety and be able to surround myself with lots of p-" He clears his throat and smiles out of nervousness.

"You're doing so good. Keep going." Chaerin tried to motivate him to keep talking.

"Uhm," Jinwoo furrowed his brows and his nose wrinkled up, "That- that's not it. Something smells?"

As soon as Jinwoo mentioned a smell Seungyoon looked up at the ceiling to avoid Chaerin's glare.

"You're gonna stay quiet?" Chaerin questioned her boyfriend, "Okay." She clicks her tongue and walks over to Jinwoo to give him a tight hug, not only that but to also feel his bare skin.

Jinwoo face flushed red from the intimate touch, stood speechless in his spot.

"I'LL TALK!" Seungyoon shouted to get Chaerin back on his side.

 

 

***

 

 

 

"This happened for a reason." 

Chaerin scoffed and buries her head in her knees, muffling the laughter she's letting out.

"I'm being serious. Setting the poop-filled bag on fire, getting Jinwoo in trouble by the landlord for causing the floor to turn to charcoal,  leaving that gross smell in his home for days and me repenting for it by offering to fully help him through his social anxiety disorder happened for a reason. Just like that 500 won coin." Seungyoon smiled contently as he thought about the fateful events that always seems to happen between them.

She stretched out her legs and arms, blinking away the tears caused by excessive laughter. "You're too much." She stood up from the couch  and tapped him on the knee, wanting him to stand up as well. "It's getting late."

He unwillingly stood up, not wanting to leave just yet, "Just think about it. There's a strange force pulling us closer and closer together. Even if we haven't been dating long, it's obvious that you and I are meant to be inseparable. I might as well save us time by  putting a ring on your finger and claim you as my lifetime partner."  He said in a serious tone.

"I wish you were drunk or else you would be making more sense right now." She pushed him through the small trail between the couch and coffee table then towards the door. "Fine." She nearly shouted when he took halt in front of the door and afterwards didn't budge at all from her pushing. "I love you."  She said the words she had difficult saying throughout their relationship together as she feared that by saying I love you to another meant she's  disregarding her deceased (ex)boyfriend who she wasn't quite over yet. "I love you." The second time said came out a little easier,  "I'm in love with you." A declaration of her true feelings towards him.

"A girl who is afraid of love, is a girl who needs love most. Chaerin open your eyes, I'm here to be by your side~" Seungyoon  faced her to let their loving gaze meet,  "I'm in love with you too, you already know that." He leans forward resting his head on hers and gets blessed with a slow, sweet tender kiss from her.

She raised her hand to caress his cheeks, "You're taking my breath away. Leave before I pass out." She nipped at his soft lips before giving him the last kiss for the night.

"Mhm." He turned his face to nuzzle against her hand, laying a kiss on her palm. "I'll see you around."

"I'm sure you will." She chuckled softly and lowered her hand to her side. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He opens the door to let himself out of her apartment. And  different from usual, Chaerin closes the door with a peace of mind because instead of Seungyoon walking the streets late at night to get home, all it takes is a few steps to know he's made it back home safe and sound.

 

***

 

Jinwoo from across the hall opens the door and greeted his new roommate, "W-welcome back."

"Glad to be back." Seungyoon smile slowly turned into a grin as he looked over his shoulder at the door he just stepped out a moment ago.

Chaerin and Seungyoon were indeed getting closer to each other and just maybe next time they'll be even closer to the point they can share a bed together.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Something naughty, I mean, uh-" Seungyoon was flustered by his own words. "I'm going to sleep." He nudges pass Jinwoo to go hideaway in his new room.

Jinwoo awkwardly rubs the back of his neck before closing the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***


I hope you enjoyed the story. Thank you for reading~


I might write more about the pair in the future. shhh.