CHAPTER 4: No words

Or So I Thought

Friday went by in a blur. The next thing Kaila knew was that her father was busy honking the car horn signaling for her to get out of her dorm room so they can finally go home. It is a 2-hour ride maximum from their home to the University of Seoul. Kaila never fails to appreciate her father’s effort in sending her to school every Sunday night and fetching her every Friday evening.

“Hi baby!” Her father greets her cheerfully when Kaila settled in the front seat of the car. And as always, Kaila happily kisses her father on the cheek. That’s their usual way of greeting each other instead of bowing like what Koreans do. Must be because living in the United States had that effect on them and their way of living.

The girl was excited as ever to come back home and relax for the weekend. The 2-hour drive went by fast because Kaila and her Dad drowned themselves in their own wave of story exchanges like what happened at home that week while Kaila was away to the mandatory “How was school?” question, parents ask their children. And then they were home. Oh my God, yes! The girl screams triumphantly inside her head, feeling happy that the weekend is finally here.

The house was jam packed as ever, all the cousins were in. Which means unlimited noise and chatter. This ordeal would piss off anyone easily but not Kaila. This was what she was happy about regarding their family- that they are one heck of a family. Even though 5 people living under the same roof as she was, were just cousins, she feels like her cousins are just additional siblings she never had. Because unlike other families, they seem to be you know, normal. But not the Parks. Nope. Not even close to the definition of the word normal. They’re rowdy, noisy, in the most fun way possible.

Weekend was spent mostly sleeping, of course. Who doesn’t like to sleep? Then they just bonded over food like usual, eating anything they can find inside the refrigerator, movie marathons, and of course they went to church when Sunday came. And much to Kaila’s dismay, it was time to go back to the University. And what irked her most was the fact that she didn’t see even the shadow of a certain boy she was sorta-kinda dying hoping to see. Her brother Jr. was with them the whole time and didn’t leave the house so that was probably a sign that she wasn’t going to see Jackson. But then again, by this time, Jackson is already a close family friend, like he comes and goes whenever he wants. Even Mr. Park asked where Jackson was during dinner. That’s how attached Jackson already is to the Park family. That it wasn’t normal to them not having that boy around.

After eating dinner, Kaila did a final check on the things that she needed to bring back to the dormitory for the coming week. Hey, it’s not nice if she would lack clothes to wear since there’s no uniform, or worse, she’ll lack undergarments.

“Hey, dad? I’m ready to go.” Kaila peeped her head inside her parents’ room.

“Okay. Oh, can you make me coffee before we go?” Mr. Park replied.

“Sure thing.” the girl said before completely closing the door and goes downstairs to make her dad some hot coffee.

While she was in the kitchen preparing coffee, she heard some commotion outside the front door which she ignored since she heard her older brother’s muffled voice. Kaila then went to the dining table to mix the ingredients in the cup. While the girl was preoccupied, the front door opened revealing Jr. and the boy she was waiting the whole weekend to see, Jackson. Both boys were laughing their asses off when they entered the house.

“Come on man, let’s go to my room. I need to show you a sick video I saw earlier.” Said Jr. motioning for Jackson to follow him up the stairs. But the latter caught someone on his peripheral vision and had something inside his mind at the moment.

“Yeah, man. I’m just gonna go drink some water first.” Jackson absentmindedly answered, waving one of his hands to signal Jr. to go ahead first.

“Okay, you know where to find what you’re looking for. Don’t get lost.” Jr. teased before running up the stairs and into the boys’ room.

All this while, Kaila heard the exchange of conversation between the two boys and was frantic all of a sudden. , he’s coming here. Oh my. The girl screams inside her head when she feels someone walking towards her. And when she couldn’t pretend to ignore him any longer, she looked up. And just like how she felt the first time she met him, with butterflies and all, she sees Jackson standing a few feet away from her.

“Hey, you’re here.” Kaila shyly smiles.

“Yeap. I felt that I might be lazy to go to work later if I didn’t leave the house early so I decided to come here… so that you’re brother can convince me to go to work in case my lazy decides to paralyze itself.” Jackson laughs at his remark which earns him a laugh from the girl as well. Kaila then realizes she was long done making coffee her Dad requested. She curses inside her head. Since she overheard awhile ago the reason why Jackson stayed behind, she just decided to leave him there. But then when she was about to go up the stairs, she was a little bit startled by his voice.

“Hey, that’s rude. Why are you leaving me here?” Jackson half whines half whatever it is that he does and then just follows Kaila up the stairs after receiving a laugh as a response from the latter.

I thought he wanted to drink water? But he just stayed to talk to me. Sweet.  So talking to me is his way of rehydrating now. Kaila thinks to herself and inwardly laughs while being careful not to trip which apparently becomes hard to do knowing that the boy he likes is walking behind her.

After a few minutes, Mr. Park is now preparing the car to send Kaila back to the University. Hearing her father honk downstairs, Kaila bids goodbye to everyone in the house. She enters each room to say goodbye to her cousins as well. And soon enough she was in front of the boys’ room. She was nervous for no reason. Oh right. Jackson is just on the other side of that door. Another honk from downstairs startled the girl, bringing her back to reality. Then she opened the door.

“Hey guys, I’m going now.” Kaila said, only her head is peeping inside the room which her cousins Thunder and Jay are occupying with Jr.

“Byyeeeeeee! Take care!” Her younger cousin, Thunder replied.

“Bye, Kaila. See you next week!” this time, her older cousin Jay spoke. Jr. stood up from the bed where he was lying a while ago and went closer to Kaila. He kissed the top of his sister’s head and bid her goodbye as well.

Much to her dismay, the boy’s response that she was waiting the most just ended up with a simple wave goodbye. No words, just the wave. Seeing that she wouldn’t get anymore, Kaila decided to close the door and leave.

“Do I not deserve to hear his voice? He could have at least said the word goodbye.” Kaila cannot get over the fact that she didn’t get to hear Jackson say goodbye before she left the house. She is now fixing her stuff inside her dormitory closet. It’s funny actually because she doesn’t know why she gets so worked up by this little thing. The 2-hour drive back to the university didn’t have any effect on her thoughts regarding a certain boy back home.

Before going to bed that night, Kaila decided to check her facebook. Just to double check updates from her classes if there were any before school resumes tomorrow. While she was scanning her home page, her notification went off and a chatbox appeared below the screen of her laptop.

 

11:30PM

Jackson: If I knew you were going to leave tonight, I should have come earlier. Haha. Oh well. See you again soon, little girl.

^Jackson Wang is offline^

 

Kaila suddenly broke into a hysterical laughter. She’s both highly amused and is giddy. She’s smiling like a mad woman at what she just read.

“Oh, Jackson Wang. You are one weird boy aren’t ya? I can’t.” The girl says to herself. Thankful that her roommate hasn’t arrived yet or else what she just did would have been embarrassing as hell if someone was to witness it.

Her stomach did somersaults because of what she just read. And apparently, her brain did the same. She couldn’t write a response to Jackson’s message. So the girl just decided to close the chatbox without responding.

“He’s offline anyway.” The girl mumbled to herself. You make me feel weird things, Jackson. Weird things.  And With a goofy smile on her face, Kaila drifted off to dreamland.

 


010315

HAPPY NEW YEEEAR! <3 Sorry if I haven't updated in a long time. it's just that, school work skinned me alive. But I'm here! I survived the first semester of my senior year. keke. I will promise to update more during my semestral break. Thank you for reading! Comments are highly appreciated. :3

Hopefully, you didn't get bored. The best is yet to come. ;)

Awouuu~

WolfGirl