The Photographer

Great Unexpectations {Ongoing}

 

 

 

"Yah... Yah! Baekhyun ah?"

 

"Shhh!" The baby faced boy gestured for the tall giant to go away.

 

The main dancer of the group leaned forward, craning his neck for a better view at the suspected target, "Uh... Just what are you doing?"

 

Baekhyun broke into a knowing grin, "Jongdae has been staring at his phone for the entire afternoon!" clasping a hand over his mouth after realizing he had been too loud.

 

Kai snorted, "So?"

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, "So! It seems like he's waiting for someone to text or call him..." He frowned, "I just wonder who..."

 

"Zhang Li Yin perhaps?"

 

Baekhyun straightened from a crouching position to glare at the other, "Are you for real?"

 

Kai gave a hollow laugh, "Just kidding. So who do you have in mind?"

 

"No idea..." A dry shrug in response, followed by a smirk, "But I wanna find out."

 

 

***

 

 

"Jongdae ah..." the leader of the group called out and jogged towards the mentioned other, "Hey."

 

"Hyung?"

 

"Been wanting to ask what's up with you."

 

"What do you mean?" Chen smiled his trademark smile with a raised brow.

 

"You seem very distracted lately. Something on your mind, Bro?"

 

Chen shook his head slowly, "Nothing... Nothing you have to worry about, Hyung." He gulped when Suho didn't stop staring, "Really."

 

After what felt like an eternity, the leader finally dropped his scrutinizing stance and jogged off, calling to him to come along. Chen followed uncertainly. As exhausted as he was, the gears in his mind worked carefully to set a constant reminder not to zone out during work too much.

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan shook his head at the mischievous devils of the group huddled at the back of the couch where, of course, Chen lay. Baekhyun lifted his head slightly over the frame of the couch to peek at Chen. His eagle eyes noticed the phone in Chen's hands and leaned forward a little more.

 

"Let's meet at the brea- Hey I was readi-" Baekhyun coughed with a sheepish look when Chen snatched his phone back and casted him a deathly glare.

 

"Seriously, don't you know the meaning of privacy?" Chen growled.

 

"S-Sorry..."

 

A gentler voice spoke from behind, "Are you dating someone, Chen?"

 

Chen opened his mouth to argue but stopped when he realized he hadn't thought up a good enough reason. Luhan smiled, "But you fancy her?"

 

The shorter guy took a moment before nodding slowly. Baekhyun fist pumped the air, "I knew it." earning another glare from Chen.

 

 

"YAH!"

 

A sudden yell made them all jump.

 

"Why are you shouting?!" Kai barked back angrily.

 

 Suho jogged into the living room with a frown, "Excuse me. Don't you guys know we have a photo shoot in like..." he tapped his watch with an impatient huff, "Twenty minutes?"

 

His words were met with wide eyes and pandemonium ensued after. Eleven voices started shouting at once.

 

 

"My j-jacket! My jacket!"

 

"Oi don't touch those pants! They're mine!"

 

"Someone get me my shirt!!!"

 

"Who the hell switched off  the lights when I was showering?!"

 

 

Xiumin, whose head was heavily clad in soap and with a towel, ran about the house fuming, trying to find the culprit. Suho deadpanned at the ruckus, not amused that they were going to be late. Again.

 

 

***

 

 

Fussing about is tiring. Being fussed upon... Now how's that?

 

Chen struggled as the stylist clipped the ear piece carefully inside his jacket. The shirt was stuffy in the enclosed room... filled with the eleven of them. Not counting the staff and crew involved. He turned his head to see Baekhyun trying to loosen the fashion tie around his neck.

 

"One more minute!" The director announced, "May I have Kai up first for the solo shot?"

 

Almost instantly like magic, pairs of hands appeared and wildly grabbed the startled dancer, dragging him towards the set up.

 

"P-Please take care of m-me..." He mumbled while half stumbling into the shooting scene.

 

"Kai-shi, please look over there. That lady is the photographer for this shoot." The director pointed to the left.

 

He looked over and stared unconsciously at the slender form.

 

"Hello Kai-shi, I'm your photographer for today."

 

He nodded dumbly. Lady? What lady?? She looked his age though...

 

She took off her hat and beamed, her eyes had a cheerful glint, "Let's get started."

 

"O-Oh right..." He started with the basic pose, letting instinct take over.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Crap..." Kai sank into the couch where Luhan and Baekhyun where chilling while waiting their turn.

 

Luhan gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, "I'm sure they will get the good pictures out. You pose well."

 

"Nooo... The thing is I didn't..."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She just comes out and starts smiling that smile." Kai grabbed his face, "I felt like dying honestly..."

 

"What?" Luhan raised an eyebrow.

 

Baekhyun laughed, "Omo... You're into older ladies?"

 

"Lady?" Kai scoffed, "She's a girl for Pete's sake. Our age." he made a circle motion with his finger, indicating all three of them, "And she's way to pretty to be a photographer. How could any guy stand looking at her?" He huffed.

 

Luhan shook his head, "You're such a kid."

 

"In my defense, I am one!"

 

Baekhyun tilted his head, "So... What's her name?"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Chen stared wide eyed at the photographer who was adjusting the lens of her camera. He instinctively raised an arm to block off his face, but then brought it down when he remembered she probably didn't know who he was anyway.

 

"Chen-shi?"

 

"D-Dae."

 

"Hi, I'm Han Seo Eun, your photographer for today. Hope to have fun working together." She tapped her camera with a slight smile.

 

He froze.

 

"Chen-shi, you okay?" Her bright charming aura melted off into one of concern for the stiffened guy.

 

He raised an arm awkwardly, "I... uhh... I'm okay."

 

She broke into a chuckle, "Okay, let's start."

 

 

Solemn stiff versus Bright energy.

 

 

"Um... Chen-shi, could you put your hands into your pockets?" She smiled kindly, "Yes, that's much better."

 

He cleared his throat and tried to pose with a serious gaze but a slight chuckle brought all the concentration he was putting into this photo shoot.

 

She brought a hand up, "I'm sorry, it's just your poses are really funny."

 

"Oh...?"

 

She saw the disappointed look in his eyes and hurriedly corrected herself, "In a good way! I think it's cute so... it'll be just fine." She ended her statement with another chuckle.

 

He paused to stare at her.

 

This girl is...

 

Unpredictable.

 

Unreadable.

 

 

He couldn't understand... the turmoil churning at his heart. He was hooked.

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Oh my god, you loser." Kai shoved at Chen the moment they returned back to the dorm.

 

"Huh? What did I do?"

 

"You know that photographer, don't you?"

 

Chen was surprised, "How did you know that I know her?"

 

Kai pointed gloomily at Baekhyun, "Ask the one who read the messages in your phone."

 

"Baekhyun!" Chen began but was cut off by the grinning latter.

 

"Jongdae ah... I approve! She's amazing."

 

"W-What?!" Chen spluttered.

 

"Why didn't you introduce her to us?" Kai retorted.

 

"Introduce what?!"

 

"Oh come on... She's great. You know it. We all do." Baekhyun took a glance around the room just to make sure on the mutual agreement.

 

"Does she know who you really are? She doesn't right?" Luhan asked.

 

"She doesn't." Chen picked up a cushion off the couch and took its place.

 

"Well, tell her when the time is right." Luhan patted his shoulder before turning away, "Bed time folks... Give Jongdae a break, alright?"

 

 

Just after everyone has left the living room, he took out his phone and stared at a certain name on the screen. Their first stranger conversation texting. After a few second's worth of hard deciding, he typed a couple sentences and clicked off the screen after sending the text.

 

A second later, a soft ding made his heart skip a beat. He took some time to calm down before clicking onto the notification to read the message.

 

 

Okay!

 

 

 

A short reply...

 

But it felt like he just experienced a roller coaster ride...

 

 

Tonight's going to be sleepless for sure.