The Bakery

Great Unexpectations {Ongoing}

 

 

He walked down the streets pulling at his cap firmly while tucking his hands into the thick jacket. People casted him side glances and that was all. He was pretty much safe from the prying public. The current thought in his mind right now was food. He needed food. It was already an hour pass dinner time and hunger was beginning to nag at his insides.

 

"Damn Kyungsoo... Should have told me he hadn't prepared my share of dinner..." He mumbled while rubbing his hands together. The cold only fueled the hunger.

 

He was about to turn round the last shop of the street when he caught a whiff of freshly baked bread. Coming to an abrupt stop, he looked around curiously, allowing his nose to lead him towards a brightly lit shop. His eyes glimmered at the stacks of pastry displayed on the shelves.

 

Quickly deciding that he could just settle for some bread, he strode into the shop, grabbing a tray and pair of tongs. Puffs... Croissants... Buns... He glanced at the other side and spotted some sugar buttered bread sticks. It couldn't get better.

 

Reaching over with his tong, he was just a millimeter's breath away from nipping his dinner snack when another pair of tongs came into view. He blinked and peered up in surprise. The girl just gave a smile and pulled back.

 

"I'm sorry. You can have it." She gestured.

 

"Oh... No... Y-You can have it." He gestured in return. Seeing as she made no move, he clipped the bread and plopped it onto her tray, "There."

 

She broke into a wider smile, "Thanks. You get bread here often?"

 

He shrugged, "First time here actually."

 

"Cool. Well..." She swiftly clipped up a piece of pastry to her left and placed it on his tray, "My recommendation."

 

He smiled politely, trying not to get distracted by the beautiful crescents her eyes are becoming, "Thanks."

 

She gave another light smile before making her way to the other side of the shop. He looked over discreetly once more before heading to the counter. The shop keeper could almost laugh at his antics but kindly bit back a chuckle.

 

"That's a ten." The keeper pointed to the pastry.

 

"Here, thanks." He handed over the bill and grabbed his bag, eyes involuntarily shifting over to where the girl stood, bit his lip and headed out of the shop.

 

The girl made her way to the counter just seconds after he had left. It was then that her foot stepped onto something slightly slippery against the marble flooring, causing her to almost trip. She glanced down and her eyes widened slightly.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Under his bed covers...

 

Under the pile of whatever that was in the pile...

 

In the wash basket...

 

In his bag...

 

Everything tossed and turned but no. It wasn't there. His gaming card plate was definitely gone. He was sure he had it in his wallet though. How could it have been misplaced?

 

"Jongdae ah!"

 

He huffed while getting up from a kneeling position, "Yes?!"

 

"Have you found your card?" Baekhyun entered the messy room, "Wow looks like a war zone."

 

Chen collapsed dramatically onto the floor, "No. It's gone and I'll never ever find it again."

 

A snort came out from the other, "Well don't let me keep you." and he had left the room, leaving Chen feeling more annoyed.

 

A slight buzz from his phone caught his attention and he reluctant grabbed his phone. A frown came across his face. Unknown number...

 

 

Hi, is this Kim Jongdae?

 

I've got the card you dropped at the bakery yesterday.

 

Sorry for not getting to you sooner.

 

How would you like me to return it?

 

 

He fisted the air in triumph and let out a victorious roar, "My legendary card is back!!"

 

Ignoring the protests that came from outside, he began typing a reply but then stopped mid way when another thought came to him...

 

The person that had picked his card for him doesn't know his idol identity. Chen of Exo-M. He would make a big Hoo-ha revealing himself to a stranger in public. That could end up in many different ways, he didn't even want to think about the dreadful consequences that could follow.

 

But how...

 

It's the legendary gaming card...

 

Clenching his fists and gritting his teeth, he made the final decision.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Chen found himself tapping his foot outside in the cold, eyes wandering around in intense searching. The holder of his legendary gaming card. He has got to have it back. A light buzzing from his phone told him that the person had arrived. He looked around curiously.

 

Black hood in a corner?

 

Dude with over sized sunglasses?

 

Has to be the one with that large floppy looking-

 

 

"Hi!"

 

He jumped at the sudden voice that came from behind.

 

"Kim Jongdae-shi?" She looked at him with round questioning eyes.

 

He blinked. Stared.

 

"You must be him right? Aren't you the one I met at the bread shop few days back?" She tilted her head.

 

"Y-Yes I am." He looked around nervously before taking the bag that she was holding out in front of him. Internal victory war for the return of his legendary card.

 

A smile lit her soft features, "Great! I was hoping to find you quickly." she gestured behind her, "And then go grab... some dinner..."

 

Chen pulled his cap lower and pointed, "That store's pretty not bad."

 

Her smile was wider, dimples grazing her cheeks this time, "Thanks! You coming too?" She shrugged immediately after saying it, "I mean if you wanna. It's okay if you don't wanna."

 

"Why not? Meal's better with more people." Oh what a big liar...

 

 

***

 

 

Chen grinned unknowingly.

 

He was rather... amused maybe? Perhaps a little flustered as well. Definitely happy. Whatever this girl says, across the table where they sat, sounded like music. He wouldn't deny that those dimples really brought out a certain innocence in her. Not that he knew how she is like. Not that it even matter.

 

Her eyes were captivating. Enchanting when she smiles. His heart skips a beat when she reached out to tap at his hand. He couldn't understand why this was happening. It was kind of exhausting.

 

He nodded slightly at the end of her statement.

 

"And the giraffe at the zoo was blue because it was freezing."

 

He nodded again, "Yeah it was."

 

"I think giraffes shouldn't have hot drinks because by the time it reaches the end of its throat, it would have been cold."

 

"Yeah it-" He jolted in realization and cleared his throat in embarrassment, "Sorry."

 

She chuckled, "If you're tired we should probably start heading off soon."

 

"No!"

 

She blinked.

 

He coughed and bit his lip, "I mean... No I'm fine. Oh! B-But are you tired?" He asked with worry, "I could walk you back or we could get-"

 

"Relax!" She tapped his hand yet again, sending electric vibes down his arm.

 

"Sorry." He mumbled incorrigibly.

 

She looked at him carefully, "Why are you wearing your cap so low?"

 

"W-What?" He glanced up in surprise but then looked down again quickly, "I... Uh... I like wearing caps like that." He gave a dry laugh.

 

She smiled in amusement, "You look like one of those celebrities that covers their face in public."

 

He almost felt his heart leap out of his mouth, "I-I do?"

 

"I was joking!" Another tap on the hand.

 

 

He looked at her for a moment before regaining a light smile. Her laughter was magical. He found himself almost on the brink of losing focus again when she stood up, snapping him back to reality.

 

"It's been strange and nice meeting you, Jongdae-shi. I've never had a meal with a stranger before." Her expression was unreadable although her eyes were shining, "It was interesting, thank you." she concluded with a more sincere smile.

 

He stood up slowly, "I... enjoyed it. Thank you too."

 

"How silly. I haven't introduced myself. My name's Han Seo eun." She held out her hand.

 

He shook her hand shyly, "I'm just glad you didn't find me creepy."

 

 

Little did he know how much he actually meant those words.

 

The night ended quite pleasantly, leaving a heart... or maybe two, hoping for more.