Acoustic love.

Happy ever after.

Sunlight rushed into the room through the scarce openings of the opaque curtain. In the midst of the ray, tiny particles of dust dance and bask in the plethora of golden. The antique clock lay on top of the mahogany shelf, ticking every now and then softly in the quiet ambience of the room. The distant sound of seagull and waves crashing against the shore were the alarm clock to the life by the sea.

 

Luhan groaned and stretched his limbs. Instead of waking up he cuddled and buried himself even more to the other beside him. He opened his eyes lazily and was instantly met with a sleeping Minseok, eyes were still shut tightly, mouth slightly ajar and chest rising and falling gently. Luhan smiled and placed his lips on the latter’s forehead. Luhan never have thought he would one day get the chance to wake up to the love of his life. There were always stories told of how waking up next to the person you love was one of the greatest feeling in the world and now, here he is giving a full agreement to that because waking up every morning to Minseok had somehow made him drown in so much happiness and love. Minseok was everything to Luhan, Minseok was love and that was enough for Luhan to continue this lifetime.

 

 

Luhan let his gaze fall upon the sleeping beauty beside him as he trace the male’s features with his eyes, savoring every moment and never letting  a second go by.

“Luhan. Stop staring.” Minseok said still with his eyes shut. His voice was hoarse and raspy, the usual aftermath of waking up early in the morning, Luhan’s favorite melody to hear first thing when sunlight fills the room.

“Im not!” Luhan immediately shut his eyes, a grin plastered on his face and shifted onto his back.

“It’s creepy.” Minseok chuckled and moved closer, wrapping his arms around the other’s waist.

“It’s not! It’s romantic.”

“It’s okay, I still love you as much.” Minseok soft lips pressing onto the shoulder of Luhan’s, sending tiny zaps of electric throughout his body.

Moment like this is when Luhan feels that he has the world in his hands.

“I love you more.”

 

 

 

 

 


                                              

 

 

 

It was just a usual movie night with his buddies, an ongoing routine which was difficult to break since college. Luhan would buy the beers, Chanyeol would buy the pizza, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo would bring the movie and Jongin would provide the space. Just a typical average university boys spending lost time together from the bustling days of burying oneself in words and numbers. It was a time when they let their hair down and bask in laughers and cheesy jokes. That particular night was a little different from their usual routine, a stranger was joining them, a stranger to Luhan at least.

 

A male with tiny frame, hair jet black stark against his milky smooth skin and small pink lips to complete the look. He was Baekhyun’s friend from the art department. A student who had bursting passion for arts and a burning desire in fulfilling the impossible. A very determined student who was admired by lots and respected by many. His name was as special as he was, his name was Kim Minseok.

 

Luhan just fell head over heels the moment the male gave him a lopsided smile, teeth shining through. At that moment, time stood still for Luhan. Just like the authors and poets had stated, when you fall in love, time magically just stands still for a while and everything around just doesn’t matter anymore except for the palpitations and fluttering butterflies. Luhan never expected that he will fall in love one day or maybe fall in love at first sight though he had a strong believe in theories of love. He loves literature, he loves reading theories written by many famous minds about love and he put his soul into it but there’s reality. He was always trying to find love, always trying to find the meaning of the crushes but he knew they were just infatuations. You could say that his worst fear was not able to share his life with someone.

 

Luhan offered his hand to the smaller male, taking in the small palm into his. The soft skin against his rough ones made his insides tingle. The demure smile plastered onto the other’s opposed his toothy grin. The almost inaudible voice of Minseok’s and the loud and cheery of Luhan’s were what they would say, opposite attracts. In that sea of opposition came a simple red string that pulled them together tightly. A very important and unexpected Friday night indeed.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Minseok loved watching classic movies and Luhan preferred updated movies in the cinema. So, they change up their Saturday night movie every week, a black and white movie this week, an action and manly man the next. They exchange texts every day even after meeting each other just few hours ago, late night phone calls beneath thick blankets and running into each other arms the next day like lost lovers. They were living the love novel and cheesy romantic films. They were a couple many would eye with envy and would wish they were in their shoes. Minseok and Luhan were very much in love. Luhan had finally tested the theories of love written and everything was exactly like the words portrayed.

 

 

The sky was as blue as the ocean except for the few wisps of clouds in the blue abyss. The air was a mixture of jasmine and freshly cut grass. A perfect afternoon for a picnic in the park.

Luhan laid on the soft grass beneath him and his arms placed comfortably behind his head and the other around Minseok’s. The distant sound of children laughing somewhere in the field with the companion of the symphony of birds’ chirping, nature's music at best. The trees stood tall and strong around them, sunlight cutting through the leaves and branches.

“Komorebi.” Minseok said nonchalantly, eyes shut and the end of lips tilted slightly.

“What?” Luhan turned to face him.

“The scattered light effect that happens when sunlight shines through trees. Just like this. It’s Japanese and it’s a really beautiful word with a unique meaning to it.” Minseok propped himself with his arms and looked into the other’s eyes.

“Are you talking about me?” Luhan asked beneath him.

“Maybe I am.” And Minseok leaned down and gave him a deep kiss on the lips. A kiss so wonderful and worth a thousand words.

 

 

 

 

                                          


 

 

 

 

 

Luhan and Minseok were inseparable since day one. They left university together, hand in hand and dreams finally achieved. Minseok became the architect that he had dreamt of becoming one time ago and Luhan became a professional soccer coach. They moved into a small yet cozy apartment in the city with walls covered in sunshine. Those were enough for Luhan to be extremely content with his life but his perfect life did not end there. It became a fairy tale story with a magical happy ending. Minseok proposed to him a year after and decided to move to a home that Minseok had spent months perfecting. A perfect glass house by the beach, Luhan’s dream.

 

The home was what you could call literally an ice sculpture. The walls were reflection of earth’s beauty. The blue sea spread vast into oblivion accompanied by the colors of sky that changes with grace.  The house was practically screaming Luhan with bits of Minseok in it. Minseok’s gift to Luhan.

 

Every weekend after a lavish dinner thanks to Minseok’s amazing ability in cooking, they would put a soft duvet on the cold glass floor at the rooftop and take in the sea of stars that twinkled gracefully in the black universe. A glass of champagne in each of their hands and beating hearts against each other which later dissolve into slow and sweet love making.

Luhan knew that he will never fall in love again because Minseok was all he desired. An unreachable prize that had somehow fall into place in his hands. He knew that no matter what or how difficult life would later be, he will never give up on Minseok. He will strive and love Minseok with every ounce of life in him. He vows to always love him.

 

 

 

 

 

A happy ending to a perfect fairy tale life.

 

 

 

 

 

                                         

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

A blanket of stars filled the sky and amongst the stars, the moon shone brightly. It was a chilly night, trees swaying back and forth and dry leaves rustling along the pavements. Chanyeol and Jongin walked hand in hand back to their car after a romantic dinner.

“Hyung. Do you want to go visit Luhan tomorrow?” Jongin asked to the other beside him.

“Yeah that would be nice.” Chanyeol agreed cheerfully to the request. Jongin returned a simple peck on the taller male’s lips.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

The door squeaked open and a cheerful Luhan greeted both Jongin and Chanyeol. Luhan practically pounced onto the two and gave them a huge embrace.

“Jongin! Chanyeol! I missed you guys.” Luhan said blithely, his eyes crinkled into his signature eye smile.

“We miss you too.”

“Minseok is not here right now. Would like me to call him?” Luhan asked as he casually shuffled to the phone propped on the table.

“Its okay hyung. Minseok is a busy man. “ Chanyeol said while waving his hand lightly in the air.

“He missed you guys too if you guys are wondering.” Luhan added.

 

 

 

 

                                          

 

 


 

 

 

 

The white walls were the shade of white that could easily make your eyes ache for staring at it too long. The whole room was white from the back to the front except for the red curtains that swayed lazily in the air conditioned room. A very obvious unwanted piece of a puzzle that had been forcefully jammed together to make it work. The white steel door opened and a man dressed in white entered with a golden name tag placed neatly at his top left. The male had a lovely smile and twinkling eyes, the perfect façade of a doctor.

“Jongin. Chanyeol. Good to see you boys.” The doctor known by them as Dr Byun sat comfortably on the white ladder chair.

“How long do we need to do this? How long do we need to lie to Luhan?” Jongin asked almost immediately, eyes eager and breathing rapid.

Chanyeol placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and gave a light squeeze.

“Until he gets better.”

“He gets better? Is he even getting better?! Doc! I can’t ing do this anymore.” Jongin’s voice was an octave higher know.

“Sorry.” Jongin apologize after realizing his outburst and Chanyeol rubbing a soothing circle at his back.

“It’s hard. Luhan’s mindset is very different. The pain was so great that he had somehow shut it down completely. It’s a rare occurrence but it happens. People have been cured. We just can’t give up so easily, Jongin ah.”

“He kept talking about Minseok and the things they did together. He looked so happy.” Chanyeol interjected quietly.

“Minseok left three years ago. He died three years ago in that horrendous car crash after leaving university. There was no more Minseok in Luhan's life after that.” Jongin voice soft and tears were forming at the brim of his eyes

“I know but this is the only way or he will totally break down and that’s when help is no longer in question.” The doctor could only look at the boys with hopeful eyes and fill them with words that held no promise.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe there was no happy ever after after all. Maybe there were no dreams fulfilled or jobs achieved. Maybe there was no proposal or a glass house by the sea. Maybe there were no star gazing and sweet love making. Maybe everything was just a figment of Luhan’s imagination of Minseok.

A happy ending never really happens in reality. There would always be separation or filed divorces even after all the vows and promises said to one another. Why make promises when fulfilling it was out of the question? Even in the fairytales written, life isn't as perfect as it sounds, Snow White did not wake up with true loves kiss or sleeping beauty living a blissful life, somehow happy endings only happens in dreamland or maybe never.

 

Something in Luhan broke after that and never again was he the same. You could say that his life ended there when Minseok slipped away. There was only he and the happy ever after life he had dreamt of in his head.