...

A Letter Written to You

Seohyun can’t stop herself from crying since she broke up with her boyfriend Suho three days ago. She has been in a relationship with him for almost a year and they have been doing well together. Until Suho broke up with her all of a sudden saying that he cannot continue his relationship with her due to his parents’ disapproval to their relationship, and that he needed to be engaged to someone who has the same affluent social status like him.

The belle’s from a humble family. Her parents own a medium size Rice Cake restaurant somewhere near Namsan Tower and their family lives in a three bedroom apartment. Hence, these things are incomparable to what Suho’s family possesses which make the two of them socially incompatible.

 

‘The sky is gloomy and so is your face. I hate rainy days as your mood mirrors the weather.’

 

She read the letter left on her desk. The letter came from her Anonymous ‘best friend’ who comes by the pen name Baozi. She have known him for three years, she even knew him first than Suho though she have not seen her dear companion yet.

 

‘I know that you’re just there, you say that you hate to see me cry but why don’t you want me to see you? By next semester we're going to graduate already.’

 

‘’Seohyun-ah, writing to that Baozi prince of yours again?’’ Yoona automatically as she enters the room and drops her things on top of her desk. It became a habit to tease the younger girl whenever she sees her exchanging letters to her invisible friend.

‘’Unnie, Baozi’s my friend!’’

‘’More like a stalker if he’s not handsome!’’ Hyoyeon ganged with the doe-eyed girl teasing their youngest.

‘’Believe us, he’s a secret admirer Hyun, who would exchange nonsense letter for years with you if it’s just nothing?’’ the doe-eyed girl pried her for the nth time.

‘’I don’t really care if he is or not for as long as I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts to him.’’

‘’…or you’re the one who likes this Baozi?’’ Hyoyeon playfully stole the note on their youngest’s hand. And noticed how her ears oddly turned red after telling them her last statement. ‘’Omo, your ears are red, you're blushing Hyun! OMO!’’

A shy smile silently crept on his face as he silently eavesdrops while reading his notes for their next class’ quiz. He is the first section’s class Vice President - the most intelligent, clean-freak Kim Minseok. He is known to be strict by his block mates including Seohyun and her friends since he does not talk much and due to his cold exterior. He’s too keen to details especially to school work, deadlines and would even scold his fellow classmates if they display a sense of irresponsibility. He’s friends with Luhan and Lay who are from the second section. And the only time to get to see him smile is when he is with them which is a ‘miraculous’ scenery in school.

To keep his description brief, he’s Baozi – Seohyun’s pen pal. He’s been classmates with her since freshmen years though they have never been in the same clique and they seldom interact with each other. The belle has suspected almost all of her male classmates to be Baozi but never did the girl try to ask him if he is her pen pal.

Their odd friendship began one afternoon during their freshmen days. Seohyun has been bullied by some of their female classmates since she’s a university scholar because Yonsei University is a school of Chaebols (wealthy inheritors), so there's this discreet discrimination happening with the 'second class citizen students' or more commonly known as scholars.

They were the only people left inside the classroom that one rainy afternoon. He thought he’s the only student left in there as he finishes their homework before going home. But he suddenly heard a girl’s sobbing from the back, it was Seohyun.

She was the last person to join block 1A-MED, the section of brainy and studious rich freshmen medical students. It is indeed complicated to belong in this section since the students need to meet the requirement quota grade of B+ in Yonsei University’s entrance exam, or the student needs to be Yonsei’s University full academic scholar. In other words, a student needs an intelligent mind and enormous sum of money or a student must have an exceptional scholastic standing and Seohyun’s one of those rare breeds who was fortunate enough to be a full academic scholar.

Unfortunately, most of her female classmates still have some of their high school ‘hangover’ dislikes this fact about her and started bullying her.

Seohyun’s a belle, a timid belle to be exact. She does not like to get attention and like to do her things on the sidelines - the type of girl who is beautiful but doesn’t seek attention from others. Her eyes shine the brightest, as clear as waters which make it vivid that she’s got an honest personality. Her wavy dark hair flows freely like those of goddesses and her tall frail stature, those outstanding things that even a man full of high standards like Minseok would fall for, he’s been enamored be her silently for the longest time.

He has been watching her every move every single day that they have been classmates. He’s the one who secretly called and scolded those girls who bullied her.

She’s been crying on her desk for a moment already. And when he approached her, he found her already in a slumber. So he left a note together with his handkerchief beside her head.

 

‘Don’t cry.’

 

From that day on, they started exchanging letters. He intentionally enrolls himself to sections where Seohyun would enroll every semester. He thought, by that way he can watch over her.

They exchanged letters until they became closer and closer to each other. To the point that they share their deepest thoughts to each other more than to those people they consider as their close friends even when Seohyun became Suho’s girlfriend. She knows that her boyfriend might get jealous, but oddly, she wanted to keep her odd relationship with her dearest pen pal.

So Minseok knows her heart, whether she is in high spirits or afflicted, or whether she’s thankful or upset about something. There was never a time that Seohyun hid what she feels in her letters to him.  In return, he’d let his real thoughts in respond to hers making her feel that she can really trust him despite the fact that he’s just a mere pen pal.

 

 

 

‘I know that you’re just there, you often tell me that you hate to see me cry but why don’t you want me to see you? By next semester we are going to graduate.’ He read her respond note, it has been the nth time he received such saying that she wanted to meet him personally. It’s not that he wanted to hide forever, but it became a habit to him to watch her from a short distance.

He thought, that maybe it’s time. She is right, they’re about to graduate next semester and she has the right to know him personally at least. He’s nervous though, he’s used to admire her from afar, fixed with that manner, and he sees her as a farfetched imagination.

‘If it is sunny tomorrow I’ll see you, but if it’s raining an umbrella will protect you at the end of the day.’

 

Seohyun read the respond note to her letter early in the morning. She’s upset that the latter’s respond is conditional, based on her mood whether they’ll see each other or not.

Hence, it will still be a long day ahead and a lot could happen.

 

‘I’m really sorry, Hyun. I’m not the guy who deserves you. I must be a jerk, but I also love my parents that I can’t be against them. Please, understand I can’t meet up with you for lunch. ’ She receives a respond message from Suho.

 She ate her pride asking her ex-boyfriend out for lunch hoping that they can still fix their relationship like the old days. After all, there were no personal conflicts between them, and what made them broke up is an external factor.

Lunch came, and they’ve got a plenty of two and a half hour lunch break that day so she and her friends decided to eat out in a restaurant few blocks away from Yonsei.

They were in the middle of chatting as they eat their lunch when a familiar young gentleman entered the place holding hands with a seemingly popular young model from another university. This scene instantly broke Seohyun’s heart, as well as Yoona and Hyoyeon’s appetite – it was Suho together with Calvin Klein jeans model and Samsung heiress Krystal Jung.

Seohyun froze to her place remembering the respond she got early in the morning. The reason that he has no time for her anymore, and the reason why he admitted that he’s a jerk is that he did not just left her in order to please his parents but also agreed to date the high school/super model/heiress.

‘’Yah Kim Joon Myun!’’ Yoona stood up from her seat and called Suho’s real name. She too cannot stand how he can still act alright and date freely and easily when he just broke up with his girl friend a few days ago. But Seohyun stopped her, not wanting her best friend to get into a fight just because of her issue.

Suho immediately looked at them the moment he heard a familiar voice calling his name. The moment he saw Seohyun filled with tears crying, he cringed on his place as his neck stiffened, he chose to do wrong at her and it will still be a foul play if he apologize.

 

The rain surprisingly poured down while Minseok was walking down the street, he will have a lunch time alone by himself since Luhan and Lay’s class did not match with his schedule.

You’re all fine today, but are you crying again? He thought, as the co-incidence of Seohyun’s mood and the weather almost always match.

Once he reached an Italian café few blocks away from Yonsei, he saw Seohyun with her friends dining in that restaurant from the glass wall. Like what he thought, she’s sobbing. So he decided to go in and have his lunch there.

He immediately falls in-line to the counter to order, silently observing the belle from a far. Then he shifted his gaze in front and saw Suho together with another girl and finally got what’s really going on in that place.

 

I can’t let you cry anymore.

 

When it’s his turn to order, he got his favorite Alfredo pasta and Seohyun’s favorite drink – a sweet potato smoothie. He knows, she told him before in a note.

 

Suho on the other hand cannot focus eating his lunch as he kept taking glances on what’s happening to Seohyun. He’s torn in between, and to him, though he’s admits himself that he’s a complete jerk for breaking the belle’s heart he still dislike the sight of her crying.

Minseok placed his food on a single table near the window, but he stood up again and got the sweet potato smoothie delivered to Seohyun from the almost opposite side of the restaurant.

The belle immediately wiped her tears, embarrassed of how she might awfully look in front of their class’ neat-geek vice president. While Yoona and Hyoyeon were astonished that Minseok have finally treated them not like a stranger.

‘’Here.’’ he gave the smoothie to her.

‘’What’s this?’’

‘’You told me you’ll be constantly happy if you drink that.’’ then he walked back to his table.

Then she took a sip of the drink, ‘’Sweet potato smoothie? But I only told him that…’’ she lagged for a moment. She only told one person about her over fondness of sweet potato including that smoothie, Baozi.

‘’Hey, this taste weird at first but it is good Hyun…but we did not know that you like this.’’ Hyoyeon tasted the drink as well.

Isn’t he Baozi? Seohyun thought, stood up and followed Minseok to his table.

 

‘’Are you -?’’ she dared to ask him, despite of feeling nervous. What if she’s too assuming?

‘’Yes?’’ Miseok gave her a straight look.

‘’How did you know that I like sweet potato smoothies?’’ she asked nervously.

‘’ I just…know.’’ He replied nervously. Will I reveal myself now?

‘’But there’s only one person who knows about it, are you - ?’’ Are you Baozi?

He stood up again, and patted the belle’s head gently. Maybe, I should let her know who I am.

 

‘’I don’t like it when you cry because I hate rainy days. ’’ He smiled warmly. ‘’Hello, Seohyun.’’