Getting To Know Something About You

Right Beside Me

     It has been three months since the Shim family live with the Songs'.  Changmin's Chinese has also gotten better. In fact, he can talk fluently now. Being surrounded by Chinese speakers didn't take him long to pick up the language. He and Victoria has also gotten closer. They sleep together whenever there's storm to the point that it became a habit. They've become closer to the point that they were always together.


     “Qian! Qian! Ni zai nali? I give up,” yelled Changmin as he opened and looked over the covers and any space that could hide a person. “Please, I give up. You can come out now.” Still no one answered him. He found the main butler of the house and asks, “Papa Lee, have you seen Vic jie?” The older man shakes his head apologetically.

     “This is the first time you’re playing hide-sand-seek with her, correct,” ask the man. Changmin nodded.

     “I believe you won’t be able to find her until she herself shows herself to you, young master,” said the butler shaking his head as he was reminded of his past experience with playing hide-and-seek with Victoria. “There were many cases when we played hide-and-seek with her and couldn’t find her. One time, when she was five years old, we didn’t find her until she came out on her own because of her hungry stomach. Everyone panicked when we couldn’t find her. Her parents were about to report her as a missing child to the police, but she came out as soon as they dialed the number saying she was hungry. We ask her where she was hiding, but all she said was, “Somewhere inside the house.”

     “Wow,” exclaimed Changmin, “she’s a very good hider.”

      The old man pats his head and laughed. “That she is,” he said smiling. “If you will please excuse me, I need to tend to my duties, but don’t worry she’ll come out soon. She didn’t eat breakfast this morning and it’s almost lunch time. She’s bound to come out sooner or later with a rumbling stomach.”

      Changmin gave up looking for Vic and waited in the kitchen instead. Five minutes later Ms. Song entered the kitchen holding grocery bags. Changmin runs up to her, asking if she needed help. She gave him the lightest bag she carried and smiled at him. “Thanks Changmin. You’re a big help. Now, where’s Qian? You guys are always together, but I don’t see her with you,” said Ms. Song as she puts away the groceries along with Vic’s nurse.

      “I ask her to play with me this morning and she told me she wanted to play hide-and-seek, but I can’t find her. I’ve looked everywhere inside the house. I also went outside to the gardens to check just in case she went out, but I know she only stay inside,” explains Changmin. “Papa Lee told me she’ll come out when she’s hungry so I’m waiting in the kitchen for her. So what’s for lunch, Mama Song,” asked Changmin happily.

      “Well, if we want to bring her out we have to cook a dish that smells good,” said Ms. Song excitedly. It’s the trick she has learned over the years on how bring Victoria out of hiding. “Would you like to help me, Changmin?” Changmin nodded at her proposition willingly cheerful. What a cute boy, thought Ms. Song. I’ll be sad if he and his parents’ returns back to Korea. Victoria is going to be devastated if he leaves. Aah what to do?

     They have finished preparing lunch and were now setting the table when Vic’s nurse bent down on the vent, on the floor, holding a piece of steak in a fork. She’s weird, thought Changmin. The nurse started blowing at it until the meat got cold and got up looking satisfied. “Lia jie jie, what was that for,” asked Changmin curiously. She looked at him with humor on her eyes. Changmin looked at her confused.

     “It’s my method of bringing Victoria out. She’ll be here any minute soon, you’ll see,” she said confidently.

     Changmin was awed at how they bring Vic out of her hiding.

     “Lia, did you finish doing your thing,” asked Ms. Song as she came out of the kitchen with the servants holding the dishes behind her.

     “Sure did, ma’am” giggled the nurse. “She’ll be here soon. Oh! Sooner than I expected, the angel is here!”

     As if in cue Victoria came running up at the table taking her seat as if she has been there the whole time. Everyone looked at her happy-go-lucky expression and laugh. Vic looked at them, sweat running down her forehead, smiling cutely. "It's time to eat guys," she said gasping as everyone takes their seat. Changmin was sitting beside her. "I win the game so fullfill one wish of mine, please Changmin-ah," pleaded Victoria  with her puppy eyes after a spoonful of rice.

     Changmin nodded at her request. Sometimes he thinks he's older than Victoria. He's heartbeat beats hard whenever Victoria looks at him, but he got used to it over the past months. He believe it beats hard for Victoria because she's the first girl he has befriended. "What's your wish," ask Changmin after standing up on his chair taking a steak from a the center of the table. The adults were listening to their conservation unintentionally.

     "I don't know yet. I'll tell you when I know," said Victoria who's busily cutting her steak.