Unexpected Meeting

Right Beside Me

      One day, Victoria woke up to servants running back and forth cleaning this and that. Some were preparing and decorating the empty bedrooms on the second and first floor. She was wearing a silk nightgown with fluffy bunny slippers and was looking for her nurse maid. Whenever Victoria passes by them, they would stop what they were doing and greet her. Victoria in turn greets them back with her angelic smile. The Song’s domestic helpers love Victoria like their own child and Victoria in return loves and treats them like her own family. She hasn’t met a single kid around her age so Victoria feels grateful for having them for they are her only friend. They play and care for her when her parents leave for an out of town meeting or when they go overseas to take care of a business negotiation. She never feels lonely when her parents leave her for she was used to it. There are times though when she feels as if quart of her heart isn't there.

     When she reached her nurse’s bedroom, she knocked on the door and waited. No one answered and so Victoria knocks again and still no one answered. Victoria opened her nurse’s door and peeked in the room. No one was inside. Victoria was wondering where her nurse has went when one of her butlers came up to her asking if she needed something. “My nurse isn’t here,” Victoria said. “Where’d she go,” she asks as tears start forming in her eyes.

    The butler picked her up and said to her, “Remember, starting today she has a week of vacation off. She won’t be back until next Sunday.” He looked at her while she registered what he just said. After a moment, formed an O shape seeming to have remembered her nurse telling her about her vacation off. He chuckled and kisses her on the cheeks. She smiled at him and gave him a kiss back.

     “I see,” Victoria giggles, “but why is everyone so busy, Papa Lee?” Victoria doesn’t call any of her servants by their first names. She either calls them; Mama, Papa, Aunt, Jie jie, Ge ge, or Uncle. The butler pats her head and puts her down as he explains to her that her parents’ friend has a business needed to be taken care of in China. Her mom called her friends telling them to stay and live with them until they’ve taken care of their business. Her mom doesn’t accept no as their answer so they happily obliged to her suggestion. “Do you know how long they’ll stay,” Victoria asks as she and her butler walk down the hall to the dining hall. He shakes his head and told her to wait for them when they arrived at noon.

     It was exactly at noon when Victoria’s parent got home from picking their friends up at the airport. They called for Victoria, who was having lunch with her tutor, Ji Sub, to come meet the guest. Victoria came running up to them excitedly and hug her parents cheerfully. “Aww what a cute daughter you have, chingu-ya,” said the woman unknown to Victoria.

     “Aww thanks, but your child is also cute, my friend,” said Victoria’s mom happily. “Victoria, this is Auntie Shim and her husband Uncle Shim and guys this is my daughter Victoria,” Victoria’s mom said introducing them each to her. Victoria hides shyly behinds her dad and meekly says her hello. The Shim looks fondly at her and laughs. “There’s one more you need to get to know,” her mom said.

     Ms. Shim went out the door and came back with a little boy hiding behind her. She was telling him not to be shy, but still won’t budge as he clings to his mom’s legs. Victoria heart leap to joy for it is the first time she has seen a kid around her age. Victoria came out from hiding behind her dad and went over to Ms. Shim where the little figure is still huddled. She poked him. Everyone was silently watching them with adornment. Victoria poked him two more times. He was annoyed and looked over who was poking him annoyingly. He saw a pretty cute girl, about the same age as him, smiling brightly. She held her hand out to him and he took it. “Get to know each other well and become friends okay,” said Victoria’s mom excitedly. The little boy didn’t understand what she said until his mom translated it to him. “Victoria be nice to Changmin, okay? He’ll be staying with us with his parents for a while,” said Ms. Song.

     Victoria and Changmin were pre-occupied staring at each other when they were interrupted by Vic’s mom. “Victoria, Changmin can’t understand Chinese so he might not understand what you say to him. His parents and I will be tutoring him Chinese whenever we have time, ok? Since he’s young it wouldn’t take long for him to learn so be patient with it. He’s a year younger than you so don’t pick on him. I can tell that you’re very excited to meet a friend around the same age as you. I know that we make you lonely at times, but now that he’s here you won’t be lonesome anymore. Also, since you are very fragile I’m sorry that we don’t allow you to go outside and go to school like other kids out there, but it’s for your own good.” Victoria’s mom finally felt better telling her daughter the things she have been wanting to tell her daughter for months. She felt sorry and guilty for not being with her daughter all the time and not letting her go out to play outside with the neighboring kids. She was glad when Victoria hugged her and told her that it was okay.

     They were at Changmin’s room when Ms. Song spoke what was on her mind. Changmin was confused. He didn’t understand a single word they were saying, but seeing Victoria and her mom hugged each other tells him that they made up. After that, Ms. Song told Changmin, in Korean, that she will teach him Chinese so that he will be able to communicate with Victoria. When he nodded, she smiled at him and told him to take care of Victoria and left. Vic stayed behind and stared at him. He was bashful under her stare, but he didn’t look away. I wonder if she likes me, he thought. Nah. She’s just curious about me. He smiled at her coolly. Vic in turn smiled back, angelically and bowed at him and left. Once Vic was gone he’s heart started beating hard. I wonder if I have a heart disease. My heart is beating like crazy! I’m only six years old. My mom will worry.I need to see the doctor.


     My first chapter!! Aaahh it's soo not easy writing stories, but I hope you guys like it!